Start by marking “One Careful Owner” as Want to Read:
One Careful Owner

One Careful Owner

WARNING!
This book will break your heart!

From the best-selling romance author of THE EDUCATION OF SEBASTIAN comes a sexy, heart-breaking and heart-warming story about one man and his dog. (Standalone)

Alex is lost and alone, with only his dog, Stan for company. He doesn’t expect kindness from anyone anymore, but sometimes hope can be found in the most unlikely places. He has
Published January 2nd 2017 by Harvey Berrick Publishing

To ask other readers questions about One Careful Owner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Careful Owner

Rose
Jan 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wtf ... how how how did no reviews warn about this? Firstly, the H never fought for the h at all. But I get it, he's a broken character. What I can't understand is how he almost had sex with the h's sister, they kissed, her panties were removed AND when the h asked them if anything happened... they say nothing did?! Wtf. How is this supposed to be a resolved book. Before they even hooked up they were way too close for my liking!!! I was wondering if the h was meant to be the sister or her! And I ...more
Paige
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 "Man's Best Friend" Stars

Ms. Jane Harvey-Berrick wrote a heart-wrenching book with three of my favorite things: broken heroes, children and puppies. Right from the prologue I was intrigued and invested in this book and as the story unfolded, I was rooting for Alex and Dawn and most especially Stan. Ms. Harvey-Berrick is always able to write an emotional and trying love story and One Careful Owner was a wonderful example of healing and heart.

Alex is broken. And he's been broken for so long th
Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview)
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Rating: 4.5 'EMOTIONAL JOURNEY' STARS

Review: One Careful Owner for me was an amazing read. It had emotions, drama, funny moments and some steamy scene too. In short, it was an entertaining read. Highly recommended for animal lovers, fans of broody heroes and single mother.

What didn't work for me? No offense to anyone but I really feel that the cover could have been better. Same with the title of the book - I wish the title also indicated that it's a romance novel too.

Favorite: We get the pov
Mo
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was disappointed with this one. Have read this author before, the Sebastian books and enjoyed them. First off, the cover!! Your man on the cover is NOTHING like the guy described in the book. I nearly didn't buy the book because of the cover. Fickle, you might think but, hey, it's my money at the end of the day.

There was sort of too much happening and nothing happening. Yeah, he was a bit tortured but I never really felt for him. Or her! Even the kid didn't do much for me. I liked Stan though.

I
KAS
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
POWERFUL STORY!

By the end of the prologue, there was no question about it ...... this was going to be an emotional read. I knew I loved this author's work and writing style, and had an unwavering desire to walk along the journey and follow the paths wherever they might lead. This story touched me and I really enjoyed the humor that was sprinkled throughout.

This is an angsty romance involving two stubborn individuals. It also touches on subjects which reinforce the reality that life isn't always
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: animal lover, fans of flawed heroes
Giveaway on my FB page open until 01/08/2017!!!

4,5 "flawed but very emotional" stars

one careful owner photo One Careful Owner_zpstow2pxz8.jpg

I loved The Traveling Man by Jane Harvey Berrick and I love animals, dogs in particular so when I got her newsletter writing about One Careful Owner I just “one clicked” immediately.

My thoughts now?

This book is not perfect or smooth all along but it has feelings in spades. The story is bumpy and rocky with parts that could maybe have been better in my biased opinion (some
Joëlle
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
*** ARC kindly provided by Ardent Prose in exchange for an honest review. ***

Heartbreaking and beautiful. Two words to describe this story...

Alex lost everything ... his family, his wife, his best friend and his company. Together with his dog Stan he starts a new life which isn't easy when your past hurt you badly and caused you to have a stutter. He tries to avoid human contact and is satisfied with his life with Stan even if he is lonely. When Stan needs a vet he is immediately captivated by D
CeCe
Bindi Boo

A book with a dog; come on- that cover alone got me hooked. I ADORED the first 80% of this book. It was wonderfully written, had so much heart and gut twists. The last 20%, not so much. After everything Alex had been through, I didn't quite understand the need for him to put not just himself, but Dawn and Katie in such high risk. The author had a very important message to pass on but i wish it was done a little differently.

Dawn, a single-mum and vet meets broody and recluse Alex Winte
Betul
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
**ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review**

description

After reading a couple of dark and twisted romance novels I was in the mood for something lighter, and One Careful Owner fit the criteria. I was hooked from the beginning and I couldn't wait to find out what would happen to these intriguing characters. Especially Alex, because he was such a complex and mysterious person and I wanted to know what happened to him. I fell in love with his dog Stan, and I loved that we got a few short chapte
Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽*
When Alex Winter's moves into an old cabin on the outskirts of a small town, he finds himself the subject of gossip mongers. Nobody knows who he is or why he is there. He wanders into the main town area on occasion with his big dog, Stan, trailing behind him - his constant companion. He is unkempt looking with wrinkled clothes, a very long beard and hair that could do with some TLC. He very rarely speaks to anyone. He is a mystery that people are curious about.

'People fear what they don’t know.
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
'The town had decided that he was 'strange', 'a recluse' or even creepy. I wondered if anyone else had sensed his loneliness and isolation behind that forbidding appearance.'

Gosh, this is such a hard book to review and even rate. There were parts we loved but equally so many parts we just couldn't connect to or even come to grips with. For us, in some respects, it was not at all what we were expecting, there was almost too much going on and we failed to believe in the connection between Dawn and
Jacqueline
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-arcs
Wow. Just wow.

I'm a total wimp when it comes to books with sadness warnings; my go-to reaction is to wimp out and avoid them altogether. But this is my fave author so I trusted her. She didn't let me down.

Yes, I sobbed in an ugly, snotty way, but mostly I revelled in the feels I got from this slow burn romance between a man who's given up on people and relies on his old dog for companionship and loyalty and a woman who's a devoted, struggling single mum and a vet.

The vibes I got from this remi
Heroesinbooks
1 Not What I Thought Stars.

I was disappointed with this book. I thought the blurb sounded interesting and had it been about Alex, his dog Stan, Dawn and her daughter Katie, then I think it would have been a 3-4 star read.
So, why only 1? There was a clear reason for it and her name is Stella. She is Dawn's older sister. Their relationship is strained because of an incident in the past and the two women, we are often reminded , are total opposites.

Honestly? I thought Alex should have been with
Selma
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
As a huge animal lover and enthusiastic reader of second chance at love stories I couldn't wait to get my grabby hands on this book. I absolutely adore Jane and her work. She is one of my most favorite authors and every new book of hers is an automatic one-click for me. One Careful Owner was beautiful, touching and heart-warming. This amazing book owned me from the very beginning till the last page. I was literally glued to my kindle because I simply couldn't put it down. I've shed lots of tears ...more
Jeannine Allison
Is it weird that I'm interested in books my GR friends hated? (People I trust, mind you) It just makes me curious... although that never really worked out well for the cat, did it?

description
Kate's Corner

St. Rocco the patron saint of animals and misfits.

This could easily have been a five star read but then it went down to a two star read but at some point it went back up to a four star read. So after three days of mulling it over I’ve decided to give it three stars.

JHB is a fantastic author. She knows how to pull on your heart strings without a lot of effort. Makes you think about things you don’t want to think about and makes you feel things you don’t want to feel.

The Hero of the book has a
Sejla
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites
5+ stars

There are books that are simply great reads, but there are also those that are so much more. Books that are not only an escape, but true gems of epic proportions that consume you and touch you deeply, leaving a permanent mark on your heart. This is what One Careful Owner was for me. I have read the warning that this book will break my heart - and it trully did. There were times when I cried so hard I couldn't see the words on my kindle through all the tears. I felt despair, utmost devas
Amanda
If you are an animal lover, get ready a box of Kleenex. A box!

Is been a long time since I had a good cry over a book. This book is seriously heartbreaking and is not because of the romance. The romance was good and funny and heartfelt at times, but not sad. The sad part is about the animals, especially the dogs or specifically old Stan. I'm a softie who couldn't read about dogs, whether is happy or sad without shedding tears.

Dawn is the small town veterinarian and a single mom. Her 8 year old, K
Grace
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it

A sweet but emotional journey for a single mother, and a man looking for a second chance at life.
This story tackles a number of weighty subjects:
Violence towards animals
Alcoholism
Cheating
Single parenting

With the cover of this book and the way it kicked off, I expected more sweet than emotional. Alex, and his dog Stan, meet Dawn for the first time, officially, when he brings in Stan to her veterinarian office, Petz Pets. Things don't hit off from the get-go, but Dawn's patient and profe
Caro
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
*** Thank you for providing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review! ***

5 huge, amazing stars!!!

Jane’s books are always special for me. Her honest writing and adorable characters get me every time. When I saw the cover for her new book „One careful owner“, I honestly doubted if I wanted to read it at all. By looking at the cover and the blurb only, I would have guessed that this is a cookie cutter romance and this is not my cuppa at all. I need angsty, forbidden, gritty, dark or even heartb
Talltree
Jan 07, 2017 marked it as no-dnf-zzz-avoid
Lisa Aiello
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters - definitely a 5. The writing, a 5. The storyline itself, well this is a "it's not you, it's me" kind of thing. I have a hard time reading about any type of animal cruelty, or animals dying, and this has both, so it was hard to take at times. That's not to say the book wasn't great, because it was. I absolutely adored silent, mysterious Alex. That is totally my kinda hero!!! There were chapters written from the point of view of the dog (squeeee). And the little girl was precious! ...more
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog

Sherly
Jan 05, 2017 marked it as warning-shelf
This book sounded so good, but after reading the spoilers.... blech!
Glad I don't have a sister! LOL
Carol***BeautyandtheBeastlyBooks
***ARC received in exchange of an honest opinion***
elicerea
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
4 1/5 stars
♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ the Romance Bibiliophile ♡

Let’s talk about expectations…

When you hear that an author who’s previous books you liked - and I mean REALLY liked - releases a new book – what are your thoughts or feelings about it?

Well – I can not judge what you all think but I can tell you that I get giddy with excitement. And in the same moment I get scared when I notice that excitement. Will this new book make me feel the way the previous ones did?

Will I like it AT ALL?

I think in a way those feelings are similar to the ones that an autho
Kelly 'Perusing Princesses blog'
Another strong, beautifully executed love story by Jane Harvey-Berrick.

Even though this wasn't my favourite book of hers, I thoroughly enjoyed the dynamics of Alex and Dawn's story. It wasn't rushed or even portrayed as being an easy, all consuming love story but one that teetered precariously with unsurety and caution.

The allure of an outsider hiding within the shadows calls to our heroine as she sees the best in what the gossiping small town locals regard as a strange lost cause.

Dawn is a vet
  • Entführt - Bis du mich liebst (Louisa & Brendan, #1)
  • Dear Adam
  • If
  • To Portland, with Love (The Story of Us, #3.5)
  • Legacy (The Freaks MC, #3)
  • Saving Evangeline
  • One Good Man
  • Aidan's 7th Ring of Hell (The Proposal, #2.1)
  • Chasing the Tide (Reclaiming the Sand, #2)
  • Zeke's Eden: The Beginning (Zeke and Eden, #1)
  • Love In Touch
  • Connected (Broken, #2)
  • Unforgivable Sin (Escort, #2)
  • Rainbows Ever After (Rainbows, #1.5)
  • Jealousy (From the Inside Out, #2)
  • One Night With a Rock Star
  • Loving the White Liar
  • For All the Evers
Writing is my passion and my obsession. I write every day and I love it. My head is full of stories and characters. I'll never keep up with all my ideas!

I live in a small village by the ocean and walk my little dog, Pip, every day. It’s on those beachside walks that I have all my best ideas.

Writing has become a way of life – and one that I love to share.

To keep up-to-date with new books, special o
“Being a parent means you’re an expert in guilt.” 1 likes