Start by marking “Joy Unspeakable: Power And Renewal In The Holy Spirit” as Want to Read:
Joy Unspeakable: Power And Renewal In The Holy Spirit

Joy Unspeakable: Power And Renewal In The Holy Spirit

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  198 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews

Martyn Lloyd-Jones explores the assertion of John the Baptist that Jeus would baptize with the Holy Spirit. The result is a classic call to submit afresh to the Spirit for power, purity and assurance, while keeping our heads in the face of pitfalls that might distract or ensnare us.

Published April 1st 2008 by David C Cook (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Joy Unspeakable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joy Unspeakable

Eli
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read for anyone wanting to seriously study the doctrine of the baptism in the Holy Spirit. If you want a well-rounded view of the subject, and want to learn from all sides of the debate, you cannot pass by "Joy Unspeakable". Lloyd-Jones is in a unique position to write on this topic since he is one of the most celebrated Reformed preachers of all time. Lloyd-Jones sees himself defending the "old evangelical" view of the Holy Spirit against the modern view of his day, which eq ...more
Beverly
I read this book as a requirement for a course I am taking. So many told me how powerful the book was. If I did not have to read it I would have quit long ago. The author has passion for his subject. I though had a hard time following him and understanding some of his points. What I did learn is I have much to learn about the Holy Spirit and perhaps this book was the first in my journey of learning.
Peter Alexander
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Jack Hayford's The Charismatic Century, we learn one key fact about this movement (of which I'm a part), viz, the tendency to not write down and fully formulate doctrine.

Two books, however, written several decades apart, overcome this deficiency. The first is R.A. Torrey's The Baptism of The Holy Spirit written in 1895 and Joy Unspeakable by Lloyd-Jones.

For charismatics, I encourage the reading of both so that you have two perspectives from two men who on their own prayed and investigated w
Martin Steele
Sep 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians
This book explains the Baptism of the Holy Spirit tat Christians recieve it also explains the gifts of the Holy Spirit. The author explains that one can be a Christian without recieveing the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

All Christians should read this book.
Jay
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Makes up for some lack of precision with warmth and intensity.
Ken Peters
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an expansive and inspiring collection of sermons from the great preacher - "the Doctor" - on the work of the Holy Spirit. I have never read such a thorough treatment on the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and though it has left me with some questions, I found this book to be amazing. I felt downright childlike (like a true beginner) in the things of the Spirit as I read it. It felt fresh and appealing and vital and remindful all at the same time. I felt like it took me back to earlier years ...more
Dráusio Gonçalves
I gave it four stars but I'd give a 3.7 score actually. There is some sort of confusion whether we should ask or wait for the coming of the Holy Spirit. By the end of the book he states that Christians should be doing both, ask earnestly and wait for God's time. It sounds like guaranteed that the Spirit will be given. Another question unanswered is about the impact of the coming of the Holy Spirit in the broad community. He mentions the revival in Wales and Scotland but in the UK today these are ...more
Mike Reynolds
Perhaps the most refreshing book I've read in the past 18 months. Incredibly blessed by this work meeting me at the most appropriate time.

Jones is a fantastic speaker and exegete arguing here for the reality of the the baptism of the Holy Spirit being subsequent to regeneration and that it is an objective, obvious, and observable phenomenon that we are in desperate need of.

As a Calvinist he appropriately sets the reality of the baptism with the Holy Spirit upon the foundation of sovereign grac
Tim Hazelbaker
I'm a huge fan of the preaching of the Doctor. But I'm not as fond of reading what he's written. I generally have issues reading transcribed sermons, even with guys like Spurgeon. I just have a harder time with it. In this case specifically, it made Dr. Lloyd-Jones seem more redundant. All that to say, I didn't actually read more than about half of the book.

However, I was surprised to read how charismatic Dr. Lloyd-Jones was in his theology. Most of the reformed guys like MacArthur and Steve Law
Colleen
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book takes on some tough scripture passages--New Testament passages about the Holy Spirit that seem difficult to understand. Lloyd-Jones challenges the middle-of-the-road interpretation that believers receive the Spirit one time, once and for all, by asking if all believers are experiencing all the blessings promised to those who have the Spirit. He weaves in historical accounts of believers who experienced the great revivals and/or experience a "second blessing" of the Spirit. All in all, ...more
Jonathan
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-belief
I read this book in a time of my life where I was seriously pondering the work of the Holy Spirit. At that time and in that context, I personally found it very helpful as I worked through experiences and convictions I hold. I would say that MLJ provides a balanced position between extreme charismatics and reformed stances. If your also curious about the Holy Spirit's work in your life, and it's a pressing issue, yes read this book. Each chapter, in light of the context given in the first few cha ...more
Gary B
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
A fantastic book. Excellent exposition of the power of the Holy Spirit and the Spirit's role in renewal and revival. It was heavy going at some stages, but well worth it. Martyn's primary premise is that the world's greatest need is for believers to be filled/baptised/sealed with the Spirit. He offers a biblical basis for how and when this happens, what the believer can do to encourage it, and some of the outworking of it.
Jordan
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book that really bridges the gap between the less charismatic Christians and Pentecostals. He urges the reader to seek the baptism of the Spirit, in order that we may truly have a "joy unspeakable". He balances and measures mysticism to Scripture, always seeking a biblically-sound experience with the Holy Spirit.

The only negative I really had with the book was that Lloyd-Jones was a little anti-Catholic, and usually pointed out needless examples of their "flawed theology".
Mary Lou
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just reading this book drew me closer to Jesus even though I've already believed and received this baptism of the Spirit. Such a thorough teaching on the fact and importance of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as I've never read anywhere before except in the Scriptures themselves. I highly recommend this book no matter where you stand on this teaching/doctrine.
BJ
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A very important book for my own soul. It's importance is critical for the life of the whole church, especially if Lloyd-Jones is right. A very challenging and provoking book on the doctrine of the Holy Spirit and the life of the Holy Spirit indwelling the believer (chiefly the "baptism"/"sealing" of the Holy Spirit within the believer). I am provoked.
Bauer Evans
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book by the 'good doctor.' I was introduced to him through his series on Romans, but became a life long fan when I read these sermons on the person, work, and empowering presence of the Holy Spirit. His generous use of church history to illustrate his points is exhilarating.
Jacob
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A series of sermons in book form, spelling out Dr. Jones' view of the baptism of the spirit. There was lots of edifying and challenging material here. However, some of his arguments were not as strong as I think he thought them to be and I was ultimately unconvinced. A worthy read nonetheless.
Benjamin
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Deep theological reflections of the Power of the Holy spirit from this Calvinist Methodist theologian Martyn Lloyd Jones! Certainly a book about "JOY UNSPEAKABLE"
David
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great discussion of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, what it is, how it happens, and when it occurs.
Douglas Wilson
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Excellent?
Dwight Walker
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good summary of Spirit in believers life to give joy unspeakable. Helped me personally to dig deeper and see God at work in my life.
David Griffin
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not quite as Charismatic as many think he is, but a great series that encourages us to seek a true experiential Christian life.
Jorge
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una explicación bíblica y documentada sobre el bautismo y los dones del Espíritu Santo.
Profundo, con examenes bíblicos serios y con el desafío de hacernos pensar un tema controversial
Robert Iannuccilli
Goes beyond the surface of the matter and explores the significance of "the baptism" both from scripture and history.
Paul Wichert
  • Baptism and Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today
  • Suffering and the Sovereignty of God
  • Letters to a Young Calvinist: An Invitation to the Reformed Tradition
  • Deep Exegesis: The Mystery of Reading Scripture
  • Surprised by the Voice of God: How God Speaks Today Through Prophecies, Dreams, and Visions
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
  • Five Views on Law and Gospel
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • Meet the Puritans: With a Guide to Modern Reprints
  • The Bruised Reed
  • Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12–14
  • The Works of Jonathan Edwards: Volume 1
  • Faiths Checkbook
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
David Martyn Lloyd-Jones was a Welsh Protestant minister, preacher and medical doctor who was influential in the Reformed wing of the British evangelical movement in the 20th century. For almost 30 years, he was the minister of Westminster Chapel in London. Lloyd-Jones was strongly opposed to Liberal Christianity, which had become a part of many Christian denominations; he regarded it as aberrant. ...more
More about D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones...