Start by marking “Of Cinder and Bone” as Want to Read:

Read Book

(Of Cinder and Bone #1)

After centuries of being the most dangerous predators on the planet, dragons were hunted to extinction. That is, until Dr. Rhett “Jack” Jackson and Dr. Kamala Anjali cracked the code to bring them back. Through their research at MIT, they resurrected the first dragon anyone has seen alive since the 15th century. There’s just one problem.

Someone stole it.

Caught between two
Published December 23rd 2016

To ask other readers questions about Of Cinder and Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Cinder and Bone

Start your review of Of Cinder and Bone
N.N. Light
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm nuts over Reign of Fire and all things dragons so when I saw this was a freebie on Amazon, I had to grab it. I mean, what's not to love when you're cloning dragons, like in Jurassic Park? A honest-to-goodness dragon thriller filled with adventure, suspense, kidnapping and intrigue. Science and cloning are front and center in this story. A tad slow in places but just my thoughts on that. Kamala was my favorite character and I have to read the next one to see what happens next.

My Rating: 4 st
Andi
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Written by: Kyoko M
Kindle/ E-book version: 491 pages
Amazon Digital Services LLC, December 23, 2016

*May contains some minor spoilers*

This ain't ya mama's dragon fantasy novel! The first book of Kyoko M’s new series is a fast-paced fantasy/adventure novel that features an intriguing love square, descriptive battles, and the birth of an ancient creature that could destroy cities in under an hour. This book is well worth ditching Netflix and chill for the love square alone! Who ca
Emily Pennington
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Dr Rhett “Jack” Jackson and Dr Kamala Anjali were working over the incubator at MIT. After more than 60 attempts, the genetically modified egg was still not fertilized. They put everything away in the lab and left for a party to unwind.

As the work continued, Kam thought about the asexual reproduction that a Komodo dragon is capable of; so they again prepared the egg and implanted it in a female Komodo. The egg implanted and grew – developing faster than expected. Within a month, the eggs were a
The Glassed And The Furious
I never like to stop a book only a few chapters in because I always wonder if there is going to be a turnaround and an amazing story will surface. But this time I just couldn't. The three characters that are introduced at the beginning are beyond ridiculous and I just can't get over the childish interactions, the high school drama, the over stereotyping of a nerdy scientist and the annoying dialogues. It was just all too much. I also felt like there was no natural flow to the writing. It felt fo ...more
Jeanne Pocius Dorismond
Terribly Written

I am sorry. This book reads like the text of an anime book. The author spends more time describing clothing and colors than on character development or plotline. The title and teaser enticed me, but this is an embarrassingly bad piece of writing whose author needs to spend some time reading better quality books to learn how to write. If I could have done so, I would have given it zero or negative stars because it is so bad. Don't waste your time on this one. D- ( would be an F if
Barbara ★
I've always been fascinated with dragons. They are so beautiful and dangerous and yet regal too.

Dr. Rhett Jackson and Dr. Kamala Anjali are biological engineers working to bring dragons back from extinction. After many, many, many trials, they are finally successful only to have their day-old dragon stolen and their lives put in terrible danger. Off to Japan they head to find the kidnappers and get their baby back.

This is a very exciting story that really and truly had me flipping pages as fas
Kenya Starflight
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved and been fascinated by dragons -- so a book where two scientists create their own dragon in a fantastic twist on "Jurassic Park" sounded right up my alley. The fact that this was a Kindle freebie didn't hurt things either -- if I end up hating it, I'm not out anything, right? I'm pleased to say that, despite starting off slow and some iffy science along the way, "Of Cinder and Bone" is a highly entertaining and exciting ride, one that kept me reading and that has me eager to st ...more
Jessica
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up because it was said to be a cross between Jurassic Park and Ransom. I can't tell you how much I love Jurassic Park. If, like me, you love it too, you NEED TO READ THIS BOOK! Jack and Kamala are scientists at MIT and have decided that resurrected extinct species will help the Earth. They start with dragons. Because, come on! Who doesn't want to see a dragon! They've been extinct for more than 500 years. So through much trial and error, they splice DNA to give rebirth to this ...more
T.C.
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My apologies for the late review, but life has kept me busy these past few months.
I won a copy of the novel via the author’s GoodReads giveaway
Review:
The novel’s a great read, it has everything a reader can ask for in a sci-fi/fantasy book.
I applaud the author’s characters who are not only well-developed characters but are diverse and inclusive. It was great to see that one of the main characters is a WOC AND she’s not the only WOC present. Back ground characters are also not one dimensional a
Janet Forney
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mattaku subarashidesu

Hopefully I didn’t offend anyone, but trying to keep in the same frame of mind. This book had me hooked right off the bat. I truly couldn’t put it down. Just when I thought I had a plot line figured out, the author did a 180, like Pete would. I can’t wait to read Of Blood and Ashes. I love the combination of science and fantasy. Too bad dragons aren’t real (or are they?) My only wish is that there were translations of the Japanese. I could figure out the basics, but a link
Elaina
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing concept, dragons brought to life via DNA (very Jurassic Park, and yes, that scenario is mentioned!). This is also a thriller, loads of mayhem that crosses the globe. A good story, but I felt it was a bit shallow here and there, and didn’t focus enough on the actual dragon. I wanted to stay with her, see how the modern world is for her.

Characters, however, were well rounded. I could definitely identify with each, particularly Jack; loved his take on things, his humour, and his hidd
Mandy Walkden-Brown
Highly entertaining. Great premise well executed.

Why is it that authors have an incredibly annoying habit of making their book perma free just days after I've bought it? However, this one I'd be more than happy to re-purchase as it's a very well written and quite riveting story.

The science is grounded in reality, the characters are vibrant and interesting and there's more than enough action, intrigue and suspense to keep the pages turning. And dragons. Don't forget the potential dragons.
Michelle Willms
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful fantasy

A team of two scientists have discovered the means to genetically engineer the return of dragons. Due to hunting by humans, the last dragons became extinct in the 14th century. The project is immediately under attack by rivals from Japan, who want the dragons not for research and preservation of the species and the environment, but for nefarious reasons. Great book, ends in a cliffhanger
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Long, intense and worthy

Kamala and Jack are such fun characters who have a dream of bringing back dragons! That is super awesome! I found their story to be very compelling and so full of action. I couldn't believe that Pete was actually born and everything that happened after was so realistic but so dangerous at the same time. The way Kam and Jack danced around each other was a lot of fun to see. Sometimes things aren't what they seem but can turn out to be good.
Donald E Rockwell III
Dragons!

There is more. I only put on Goodreads the ones I like with excellent characters and good plotting. Strange to hear me say this but there is almost too much action. The whole Japanese subplot is over the top but it does set up the next in line. Read this one, you'll like it.
Kayla Torres
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been reading this on my breaks at work and it was SO HARD to put down! I loved everything from the characters to the development of the story, even to the little romance that was sprinkled in but didn’t change the path of the story.
Sure there were some corny jokes but I found it endearing with the characters. Cannot wait to read part 2!
Rhonda Wise
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sweet

This story was a blast from start to finish. The characters are well defined, but we get to meet them slowly, like a new friend. The plot has twists but they are sensible. The characters are human, imperfect and fun. Once I got the book started I had trouble putting it down.
Aviar Savijon
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One more Great and outstanding book written by Kyoko M, one of the most interesting and wonderful books I have read so far this year. This is what fantasy tales are all about. I loved it! Get your copy today.
Blow Pop
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2017, written-by-woc
Content warnings: heterosexual relationships, girls kissing girls (but not explicitly stated as lesbian or bisexual or any other sexuality), alcohol use, mentions of abusive relationships, sex (more implied than shown)

Review can be found here at Blow Pop's Book Reviews.
Darlene Long
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by this author, but I will be reading more. There are many turns and twists. It grabbed me from the very beginning and didn’t let go until the end. There are cliff hangers so will definitely be watching for the next book.
Catherine
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of cinder and bone

What can I say? Thoroughly charmed Kyoko M. Thank you. Loved everything about this journey you took me on. Excellent character and plot development, just the right mix of violence, gory, wonder and romance. Excited to read on.
Beverly Schulte
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great first book!

This book was a great first book and I totally want to read what happens to Jack and Kamala in successive books. This book was full of action and twists and turns. I really enjoyed reading this book and will be looking forward to more from this author.
Sharon
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Character driven

Reading the synopsis if the book, I thought it was about dragons. Turns out it is more about the
Scientists, their friends and family.

It was a page turner that I didn't want to put down.
Teressa Surber
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Dragon of a book

Not at all the book I was expecting! It was so much better than the usual Dragon fantasy book. Dragons, technology, science, and romance mixing with unforgettable characters. Loved it!
Rose
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rose

Kyoko M has done a superb job showing the types of problems we would have if introducing a dragon into this world was possible. His characters are charming and or terrifying. Putting it all together has made wonderful reading.
Tessa in North Florida
This is mostly an adventure. It would be an okay movie. I was kinda bored with it—too much running around and not enough dragon. The dragon was really just kind of incidental to the story, barely there. More about the couple and how great they are.
Sharon Holmes
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cliffhanger Alert!

Great book but it has one neck of a cliffhanger at the end! Luckily, I read Book 2 first and loved it as well so I had to get Book 1. Author has a way with words but her characters are so lifelike you expect them to walk through your front door
Michelle
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragon named Pete

I really wasn't sure what to expect when I downloaded this book but I'm glad I did! Love the main characters. I can't wait to read the next one!
Jasmine
Good read ! Honestly the ending was sort of drawn out but I stuck with it !
Jackie
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing fantasy book. Two drs crack the code to bring a dinosaur back, but somehow it gets stolen. A fast paced, wonderful book that keeps you entertained until the very last page. Appreciated receiving an ARC and my pleasure reviewing.

• Dragonlands: Volume 1-3 (Dragonlands, #1-3)
  • Sword & Magic: Eight Fantasy Novels
  • Junkyard (Fractured Stars #0.5)
  • Hidden Fire
  • Oasis (The Last Humans, #1)
  • Daybreak (Girl from the Stars, #1)
  • Frey (The Frey Saga, #1)
  • Kael Jai: Outcast
  • Shadow Magic: Six Strong Heroines of Urban Fantasy
  • Destiny Awaits (Auberon Witches #1)
  • Tea & Croakies (Enchanting Inquiries #1)
  • Witch Forgotten (Witches of Night Meadow #1)
  • The Confectioner's Guild (The Confectioner Chronicles, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Kerrigan: Box Set Books 1-6
  • Motherducking Monster Os (Bad Magic Bounty Hunter #0.5)
  • Born to Magic (Tales of Nevaeh, #1)
  • Marked (Soul Guardians #1)
  • Where Sleeping Dragons Lie (Dragon Shifters of Elysia, #1)
Kyoko M is a USA Today bestselling author, a fangirl, and an avid book reader. She has written the Amazon bestselling Black Parade urban fantasy series as well as the Of Cinder and Bone science-fiction dragon hunting series. She has a Bachelor of Arts in English Lit degree from the University of Georgia, which gave her every valid excuse to devour book after book with a concentration in Greek myth ...more

Of Cinder and Bone (4 books)
  • Of Blood and Ashes (Of Cinder and Bone #2)
  • Of Dawn and Embers (Of Cinder and Bone #3)
  • Of Fury and Fangs (Of Cinder and Bone #4)