Start by marking “Breaker (Exile #1)” as Want to Read:
Breaker (Exile #1)

Breaker

(Exile #1)

In the wake of several near-cataclysmic events, humanity created the Cure, a DNA-altering antidote to death by disease and old age. But all cures come with side effects: a small percentage of the population develops a wide range of powers, some of which are lethal to others, and some which are lethal to the wielder.

These people are called the Estranged, hunted and shunned,
Published January 10th 2017 by Less Than Three Press

Jewel
I requested Breaker on a whim after reading a review by one of my Goodreads friends. I've never read anything else by either author before, but I do like sci-fi/dystopian stories, so I figured I would give these new-to-me authors a try -- and it worked out beautifully. Breaker is my kind of story.

Breaker takes place in a future where, in an attempt to combat deadly viruses that have been unleashed, humans find the cure to everything. Sound dangerous? For most people it seems to work out, it stop
Fabi
4.5 stars!

This one is a m/m romance set in a dystopian world. More romance than dystopian even though it doesn't really kick in until halfway through the book.

In the first half of the book we are introduced to the MCs individually and given a look at a their crazy, messed up world. In the second half the MCs come together and they steal our hearts.

It is funny, sexy and poignant in turns. Watching these two come together kept me up half the night. I couldn't look away.

As if that wasn't enough, th
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.3 Stars

I didn't quite know what to expect from this book, but I enjoyed it immensely. The setting is very dystopian; global plagues wiped out huge swaths of the population...and afterwards the fight to avoid that fate ever again led to a cure for almost all diseases and illnesses (other than what the Cure itself caused), and surviving the Cure means Humanity is now on track to live longer lives than is definitively known. Sometimes, though, that Cure causes a sickness and once healed people ar
Diverse
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Breaker is an outstanding story from the minds of A.F. Henley and Kelly Wyre. It's a roller coaster ride I tell you. I know my mind went on so many loops and turns. It's a testament to all the work these two put into this tale when I'm left breathless and lightheaded after finishing.

This is a very fast paced book and you have to stay sharp. If you find yourself getting sleepy STOP! You truly need to pay attention. The suspense is off the charts. I wish I could come up with something better than
LenaRibka
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found the blurb interesting enough, and the book started very promising. I liked the first part, mostly because I was looking forward to how the story would be evolving in the second part of the book. In my eyes, the story had a big potential.

We learned in what kind of world Eddie has to live, who are Estranged, why the government hunts them and what happens to them normally in the post-Cure world. We got to know the Island of Exile, an idea of Paradise for those who managed to escape, and we
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Jun 27, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: mm-romance, dystopian
Fun fact: I won a paperback of this book in a twitter giveaway (first thing I've ever won in my life lol) back in April but (it's almost July as I'm writing this) I was completely sure by now that the package had been lost because honestly that's just my luck that I would win something only to never see it come to me :'D BUT IT FINALLY ARRIVED YAY!!!
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it

Review by The Blogger Girls.

This was a very interesting start to a new dystopian sci-fi/paranormalish tale. The story centers around Exile, a sort of island of misfit paranormals. It is a secret island where the Estranged seek refuge if they are lucky enough to find it and be accepted. Much of the beginning of this story explains about the Cure, the Estranged and about Exile, where we meet Kaeva.

Kaeva is an Estranged who, due to his “power” is forced to live a mostly solitary life. He has the ab
Erica
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this a lot from a romance perspective, not so much from a dystopian or sci-fi standpoint. Hopefully the series will continue so the world can be fleshed out a little more.
K
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

BELIEVE IT. FIND IT. PROVE YOUR WORTH.

Breaker Exile, Volume I, by the dynamic duo A.F. Henley & Kelly Wyre, is intense, mind-boggling, and otherworldly and it took a little bit of time for me to get the concept wrapped inside my brain of everything that was taking place. It moves with a fast-paced—cutting edge that keeps you on a suspended level of “OMG” and “WTF” - sometimes with both eyes open—sometimes only one.

“Everybody meets the dark alone.”

Eddie and Kaeva—both Estrang
Kristin
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating = 4.5 stars

This is a delightful gem of a book. The dystopian genera as a whole has become rather saturated and I found this one stood apart for several reasons:

Pacing was perfect – many dystopian books get bogged down in the catastrophe that brought about the New World Order, but the authors integrated the world building in with the character development in a show don’t tell method of writing. The reader sees through Eddie’s journey to Exile what Humanity now has to cope with, and, subse
Raphael
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I already have read this novel twice and oh my god what a mindblowing story!

The authors created a world, two worlds in fact, that are very well thought out. After a series of global diseases hit humanity, they are living in a probably not too far away and dystopian future. And to make matters worse: in a very successful attempt to rid themselves of these plagues, scientists came up with a - no, with the Cure. It had a side effect. The changing of the meddling with human DNA caused the Estrangeme
Duncan Husky
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5!

Breaker brings us two flawed, fascinating main characters, but it also brings an amazing world as well. It's a futuristic dystopia where all is well if you are well-off and "natural", that is, receiving only the good aspects of the Cure. For the Estranged, those to whom the Cure has given a frightening array of powers, controllable and not, life is much harder. If lucky, they live on the outskirts of society, fighting for meagre crumbs. Those not so lucky just...disappear. Perhaps the
Tex Reader
4.0 of 5 stars – “Electrifying” Romance & Dystopian World Building.
[Thanks to the authors & Reading Alley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review]

Both of these authors are new to me, and it turned out to be double the fun. I was pleasantly surprised and “electrified” by the story. Sorry for the pun, but apropos, as one MC (Kaeva) was an “estranged” who could short circuit whole cities (thus the title, which was also symbolic). I like dystopian and paranormal, with a nice dose of
Kimberly
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: very-good-mm
Great world-building, decent relationship, big consequences yet intimate story. I was into the sci fi/dystopian world enough that I would have kept reading in it even without a romance.
Josephine
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Magnolia
From Magnolia Reviews: Five Petals

Everything in this book worked. The world building created levels of nuance that had me wanting to dig more into the Estranged and their creation, but the emotion in the book is what really kept me reading. This is a beautifully written story and I absolutely recommend it.

Read the full review on Maggie's website: http://magnoliareviews.weebly.com/rev...
llv
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Rating: 4 stars. I really enjoyed this novel set in a dystopian world where powers are manifested by a small percentage of the population due the "Cure". Not everyone's powers are beneficial and it explores in detail the rights of individuals to choose suicide over living with the consequences of their new powers. If reading about suicide is a trigger for anyone, I would avoid this book as this theme is prevalent throughout the whole novel.
~RMG
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. It's a bit different than most in its genre, which I found refreshing. I liked the characters and world building. It's not a perfect read, as there are bits that kind of tumble together due to how it's paced and written, but that wasn't enough to deter the enjoyment level. I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment.
FantasyLiving
Written for Boy Meets Boy Reviews

I have a thing for psychic abilities. I think it was created by my thirteen year old self reading Carrie for the first time, while on a backpacking trip with my school.

Authors who can dream up cool abilities, and how they can manifest rarely disappoint me.

This story was cool. There were a lot of fun abilities, and names for the abilities, and I became absorbed in this story from chapter one.

Kaeva is a loner on the island, Exile, and has been tasked with taking
Elisa Rolle
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
2017 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention: Breaker (Exile #1) Kelly Wyre & A.F. Henley
1) This was a really enjoyable book to read. And I will be keeping an eye out for future books in this series.
2) Fantastic world-building and a great concept are somewhat wasted on a too-familiar romance that never rings true and a theme of suicide and self-worth that was too heavy-handed for the material.
Ben
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I #@)%*&)( loved this book. The whole world the characters all of it. Cannot wait to read more. If you like end of the world with a fantasy/scifi twist you'll love this. Will add more later if I think of it but it's really good.
Tionne
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-romance
I LOVED THIS!!!!! 😭
rizu
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
very good!!! i wonder what the second book will be about
Amber
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars
Natosha Wilson
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love books like this one. It is more of a sci-fi paranormal book but at the same time it is what a lot of people go through in our everyday world. This book is about finding our own self worth, place in the world, and creating our own happiness with in ourselves without looking for someone else to do that for us.

The Cure turned so many people's lives upside down and inside out. It mutates some of those that survive it and in turn either makes them very sick or it makes them have powers that th
Biljana
Feb 06, 2017
Monica
Sep 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Kelly enjoys reading and writing all manner of fiction, ranging from horror to romance. She used to work in advertising but is now happily chained to her writing desk. Kelly enjoys the soft and cuddly and the sharp and bloody with equal amounts of enthusiasm. She's a coffee addict, a workaholic, a chronic night owl, and loves a good thunderstorm. Currently Kelly resides in the southeastern United ...more