Start by marking “Olive Juice” as Want to Read:

Olive Juice

It begins with a message that David cannot ignore:

I want to see you.

He agrees, and on a cold winter’s night, David and Phillip will come together to sift through the wreckage of the memory of a life no longer lived.

David is burdened, carrying with him the heavy guilt of the past six years upon his shoulders.

Phillip offers redemption.
Published April 26th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Olive Juice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olive Juice

Start your review of Olive Juice
T.J.
Nov 15, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine

✰✰DSP✰✰ https://goo.gl/mFbqUQ

✰✰B&N✰✰ https://goo.gl/EY6LwP

Cover by Reese Dante:

photo Olive Juice_zps8grwulu4.jpg
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I will try to be as spoiler-free with this review as I can be, but, honestly, I never put spoilers in my reviews.

Now, here is the rub: I'm giving this book 4-stars for writing quality but I didn't actually like this book much at all. Olive Juice was like getting punched in the face.

Unlike some other reviewers, I knew EXACTLY what the plot-line was going to be right from the start. I'm talking at 5% in, my shields were UP. My shields were so high up, in fact, that I barely felt emotion during th
☆ Todd
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it

Little deaths.

TJ's latest story was all about those, where small parts of your soul die piece by piece with each repeated blow, which made this book extremely difficult for me to read.

As far as internal angst goes, this one definitely wins the Gold Star Family medal.

Throughout the story, we got fleeting, momentary glances of a shared life that had previously been good. Great even. Better than great. Amazing.

Then it was like taking a deep breath and diving back underwater again.

For more of those
Jewel
This will be a completely spoiler free review. It'll also be short because I want to make sure it stays spoiler free. My advice would to be to stay away from spoilers of any kind before reading this book. The emotional impact will be so much greater and more meaningful if you just let the story unfold as you read it.

I didn't know much about Olive Juice before I read it. Just the blurb and TJ's blog post, so, you know - not a lot. I didn't know what to expect.

When I started reading, I could tell
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Well, I just spent the last hour like this:

I loved this book. DON'T READ SPOILERS, GO IN BLIND!

What a beautiful and heartbreaking story! This reminded me a bit of a play; I know Klune had a blog post referencing a one shot scene but honestly this felt like something you would see on a stage. Extremely well written, Klune is obviously very talented and there's a reason why I will read anything he writes.

Follow me on ♥ FacebookBlogInstagramTwitter
.Lili.
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I don’t know what to write. Olive Juice by TJ Klune shattered me. As TJ mentioned in his blog post, this book is one that a reader must go into blind. No spoilers, no expectations- just go in and experience. It reads like a poem, one that no matter how painful it becomes you won’t be able to put down; you’ll feel compelled to see it to the end. It’s a bittersweet story about life and second chances. I don’t have much more than that. A few days after finishing it and I’m still digesting. I keep w
Renée
There is no way to write a review for this book. Stay far, far away from spoilers, readers! I am a spoiler whore. There is no spoiler tag that I won't uncover. It doesn't take anything away from my reading experience, and I just have to know. Do not read spoilers for THIS book. And shame on reviewers who give anything away.

Because of reasons, this is the most gut-wrenching story TJ has written, for me. From my perspective and life experiences. I didn't Wookie Cry Face, though it was a close
Dia
5 STARS

How can T.J. Klune break your heart in 130 pages? Read this book and you'll find out.

I've read this one right after finishing a very light and funny story. The angst here took me by surprise. I wasn't ready for so much heartbreak, but we never are, right?

I dived in clueless and I'm really glad I did. This book is really sad, but what I loved most here is the way the story is revealed, with tiny pieces, until we get the whole puzzle. And what a story it was!

Somewhere along the way I got
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Hearts

I agree with the majority of the people out there regarding all the pros and cons of this story and to definitely avoid any spoilers if possible.

Is it angsty? As all get out.

Will you cry? If you have a heart, yes.

What about the writing? Phenomenal.

Is there romance? Well… there’s definitely love. So much love and how that can tear someone apart and put them back together.

There’s no doubt Klune is talented, and now I realize that he can definitely do more than silly, funny, poignant. This
BWT
No spoilers, okay? Because you have to go into this blind, okay? Seriously, please don't read any spoilers because you'll miss out on the total emotion of this story. Seriously.

Okay. That was fucking heartbreaking. Sure there's a happy-ish kind of ending, but the reality of the story (of how this happens every day) leaves me...bereft and just kind of...shattered.
“This needs to stop,” Phillip finally said.
David thought about ignoring him.
Instead, he said, “What does?”
“This.” He sounded frustra
Alisa
I work with terminally ill people and sometimes when I walk into a house the grief is so thick that you can literally feel it. The air is heavy with it. That's what reading this book felt like. When I leave those homes I struggle to push the grief off of myself. And that's what it felt like when I was finished with this book.

I'm struggling with what else to say. I know the author recommends people go into without reading reviews etc so I'm going to keep this short (& spoiler free). This book is
Diana
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Once again, T.J. Klune has reduced me to a crying, sobbing mess!
CrabbyPatty

This is my first TJ Klune read, and it broke my heart. I have read reviews of his other books and thought "yeah, I should add TJ Klune to my list and read him sometime" never realizing that I was missing out on an amazing author.

This book is subtly and beautifully written. It leads the reader down a path where we think we know the cliched destination, but then reveals we were mistaken. It's like the first time viewing "The Sixth Sense" or perhaps "Leaving Las Vegas" (not saying that this book
Sheri
This is not easy to do. *cringes* I hate writing poor reviews.
My last TJ book was not a successful read for me but the one before that was my book of the year read. Soo, I was hoping to wipe the slate clean per say, and start over. And yet, I find myself frustrated and upset when this story finished...again. I can't honestly say I enjoyed any of it.

It's complicated and choppy but I understand this is intentional. I'm okay with that.
It's confusing and sad and so angst heavy without any balance. T
Lisazj1
This story got 5 stars from me just because of how much it made me feel.
Karen
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How TJ Klune broke me in less than 100 pages...

So this is going to be a short review because I am definitely keeping it spoiler free. 'Olive Juice' starts off on a heartbreaking but definitely an elusive note. It's only as the reader continues to read that the reason for the heartache becomes revealed.

As my friend and fellow reviewer, Todd said:
"Mostly, this story was about when "THE MOST TERRIBLE THING IMAGINABLE" happens."
"Olive Juice" is a story filled with the heartache and despair of two
Sandra
Sorry, Tj. I love you, I do, but you should already know why I'm struggling with the words while writing this review. I'm not even sure you should expect anyone to review this book coherently. You know this, don't you? Don't you? I'm almost certain you're reading this review and others like mine, maniacally laughing at us. You are, aren't you?

For all you folks out there, thinking about possibly buying this book - yeah... you want to. You do. Because you need to read this.

Please don't read any s
Melissa
OMG this story just broke my heart. I am debating between 4 & 5 stars because as awesome as this book was, it still hurt to read and I know the ending was the way it was for a reason that I 100% completely understand and agree with, it still hurt. I want the answers just as much as David and Phillip do, and it's so heartbreaking to see them suffer. While this story might be fiction, it is still oh so real for millions of people in this world. I can't even imagine and yes when we see things like ...more
Robin Hill
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like I'm going to sleep after that. 🙄 ...more
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
Because I'm the only one who gets to decide what I need to know about a book before reading it, and what I'm allowed to include in my reviews. ...more
Sara
5 Hearts

This book simply cannot be spoiled and I don’t spoil books. What I will do is talk about is how this book made me feel and what it made me think about.

The story isn’t one that’s new, sadly enough the basics of it is something we have seen numerous times over our lives and either been affected by it, pushed it aside or tried our hardest to forget it happened, grateful that it wasn’t us or someone we knew. It doesn’t need to directly happen to us to feel the damage, the heartbreak, hopel
BWT

If you haven't read this, then do yourself two favors:

1. No spoilers. Because you have to go into this blind, okay? Seriously, please don't read any spoilers because you'll miss out on the total emotion of this story.

Yes, it's heartbreaking. Sure there's a happy-ish kind of ending, but the reality of the story (of how this happens every day) left me...bereft and just kind of...shattered.

And Derrick McClain? Well, he just shattered me all over again. His narration has the kind of emotion you hear
Nazanin
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, m-m
2 Stars

This story had a really good potential but its writing didn’t let me enjoy it as much as I wanted. My issues:

1. repetitive words in a sentence or sentences in a paragraph. Some examples:

… The hotel? It’s just a staycation, after all. That’s it. That’s all it is. Right? Right? Right? ...

… anytime he put the phone to his ear and said, hello, hello, hello, …

… It was still on the message tree from before—ok ok ok ok—and …

… saying, this is my sister, this is my sister and she—and she—it’s been
Elithanathile
Oy. I am going to have a lot of trouble rating this; it seems I am very much the minority in that this just didn't do for me what it so obviously did for so many others o__O!!

I fully recognize and acknowledge what the author was trying to do here, unraveling bits and pieces of information a little at a time, trying to show you that what you think you know, you don't, and what you can't imagine, IS in fact happening.
The thing is this, I knew from the get-go. NOT because anyone spoiled this for
justanya
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-faves

AVOID reading reviews with spoilers! Spoilers will RUIN this story!

This rocked the center of my very being in so many ways. Touched upon my deepest fears... I was trembling every time I turned the page intrigued and anxious as to what I would learn next. Olive Juice, is overwhelming. This is a nonstop runaway train that appears to be going at a sedate pace but in reality, it’s actually moving at breakneck speed in danger of derailing at any moment. As a reader who waited on the platform t
Vallie
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm
FINALLY!

Aaaaaand it's over. Totally destroyed after reading this, surprising exactly no one. TJ's writing is getting better with every book he writes, it seems. It's almost poetic here which suits the tone perfectly. And damn, this story will give you the worst hangover ever, but the love depicted, in all its forms, is epic.

Truly epic.

Highly recommend.
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Olive Juice

The story is about loss and the effect it has on the people who experience it. How it changes their lives and how it can break them apart piece by piece. The loss in this story is one no one ever wants to face. I felt for David and Phillip and my heart broke for them. I think when it comes to their loss the not knowing is the worse...
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-5-star-2017
Olive Juice by TJ Klune
4.5 stars!!!!

“I haven’t got my fill of you yet.”

Olive Juice may be a short story but what it lacks in length is more than made up for in raw, honest, emotional and heart breaking prose that just transports you into the lives of David and Phillip Greengrass. There is no sex in this book whatsoever and yet this was one of the most passionate books I had read. This book was from the heart, two broken, decimated hearts but none the less two hearts that beat as one
Debra
DO NOT BE SPOILED before reading this book. NO spoilers here.

This book is best read straight through. It's not long and I'm glad I was able to do it. This book tore me apart and left me bawling. The underlying situation in the book hit me close to home for reasons, but then again TJ Klune is an amazingly talented writer when it comes to making you feel for the characters he creates so there's no diminishing that effect.

Although I figured out fairly early on what was happening between David and P
ink
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Heartbreak Boys
  • Glitterland (Spires, #1)
  • Best Laid Plans (Garnet Run, #2)
  • Love Always, Wild (For Him, #1)
  • The Date (Love in O'Leary #0.5)
  • The Remaking of Corbin Wale
  • Better Than People (Garnet Run, #1)
  • How to Blow It with a Billionaire (Arden St. Ives, #2)
  • Not So Sincerely, Yours (For Him, #2)
  • A Long Way Back (Unfinished Business #2)
  • Sebastian (Family of Lies, #1)
  • The Last Thing He Needs (The Last Thing He Needs, #1)
  • Broken
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • Waiting for the Flood (Spires, #2)
  • Home (Camassia Cove, #1)
  • Pansies (Spires #4)
TJ KLUNE is a Lambda Literary Award-winning author (Into This River I Drown) and an ex-claims examiner for an insurance company. His novels include The House in the Cerulean Sea and The Extraordinaries. Being queer himself, TJ believes it's important—now more than ever—to have accurate, positive, queer representation in stories. ...more