Start by marking “Jane, Unlimited” as Want to Read:
Jane, Unlimited

Jane, Unlimited

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  7,775 ratings  ·  2,174 reviews
If you could change your story, would you?

Jane has lived a mostly ordinary life, raised by her recently deceased aunt Magnolia, whom she counted on to turn life into an adventure. Without Aunt Magnolia, Jane is directionless. Then an old acquaintance, the glamorous and capricious Kiran Thrash, blows back into Jane’s life and invites her to a gala at the Thrashes’
Published September 19th 2017 by Kathy Dawson Books

·  7,775 ratings  ·  2,174 reviews

Start your review of Jane, Unlimited
Elise (TheBookishActress)
If I were to try and summarize this book, it would probably go something like this:
A girl plays choose your own adventure at a mysterious mansion her aunt told her to visit, causing some really weird shit to go down. And there are girls kissing.

If that summary doesn't excite you at least a little bit, this shouldn't be your thing and also don't talk to me. But if that sounds cool? You are going to love this.

Jane Unlimited is a far departure from the fantasy Kristin Cashore has written
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*4.5/5

This was a bizarrely delightful puzzle box of a book and I enjoyed every second of it.

Part Gothic mystery, part choose your own adventure, Jane, Unlimited is full of more stories than should possibly be able to be contained in a single novel. Jane is feeling lost in the world. Her beloved guardian aunt recently died, and she's dropped out of college, which leaves her drifting. She is grieving, and doesn't know where her life is going to lead her next. And then she gets invited to Tu
Samantha
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

I loved the first 60% of this book. But it's not as if the ending is bad, it's just that this book is a series of stories within a story and I preferred the earlier stories. As such, this feels like reviewing a mix of a short story collection and a novel, with my star rating being the average of all the stories.

This is such a creative premise though and one I would recommend going in fairly blind to and seeing how you feel. Video review to come for those interested.
Tatiana
Jul 01, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: 2, 2017, ya, starred-2017
I am 25% in and I have no patience left for this book.

I think if you liked "Bitterblue," you will like "Jane, Unlimited." It has the same annoying to me qualities - it's overwritten, it's unnecessarily convoluted, oversmart, "quirky" (aka "ridiculous"), and often tremendously boring. Just like "Bitterblue," this novel spends too much time on the main character running around and puzzling at everything weird that's going on. It's frustrating and tedious.

But a lot of librarians love it. So
hpboy13
Jun 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: standalone, lgbt
Kristin Cashore’s Graceling was a thrilling YA fantasy when it debuted nine years ago. And I was perfectly happy to stay in the Graceling realm for Cashore’s next two books, where she continued to show off her chops at YA high fantasy. But there was a different sort of excitement for Jane, Unlimited, Cashore’s first foray outside the Graceling Realm, and her first book in five years. I fought tooth and nail to get an ARC at BookCon, and it was the first book I read out of my 30-plus pile of ...more
Trina (Between Chapters)
This is the strangest thing I've ever read. AND I LOVED IT.

It's brilliant. This is what fiction is made for! I was bewildered by most of the story but realized how much I loved it when I tried to explain it to my husband and ended up nonsensically gushing.

A tip: This isn't a linear story and so the audiobook was not the best format for this story, for me. While the narrator is perfect, it took me half of the book to realize what was going on. Once I got my hands on a print copy, and could see
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it

“People tell you that what happens to you is a direct result of the choices you make, but that’s not fair. Half the time, you don’t even realize that the choice you’re about to make is significant.”

Jane Unlimited is the story of a college dropout, still grieving the death of her beloved aunt, who accepts an invitation from a family friend to stay at her estate Tu Reviens. Before Jane’s aunt died, she made Jane promise that if she ever was invited to Tu Reviens, she must accept.
Sana
Dec 20, 2017 added it
My favorite reviewer, Elise, said this is her favorite book about girls kissing and how can I not read this, is the real question.
Alyssa
Jan 02, 2017 marked it as to-read
UPDATE, May 27th, 2017: Y'ALL. I HAVE SOMETHING TO SHARE WITH YOU. SOON. VERY SOON. *is a merciless tease*

O_O

UPDATE, April 22nd, 2017: I thought I'd share this because MY HEART IS SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW.

description

My ARC set is complete! (For now. Of course I need the full-cover shiny ARC. NEED. But later.)

description

Also, fear not! I've got hardcovers of the Graceling trilogy, and I'll have a hardcover of Jane, Unlimited heading my way in September. It's not just the ARCs I own! =)

UPDATE, April 7th, 2017: Guess what I
Acqua
More like Rant, Unlimited .

This book is weird. It's like a choose-your-own-adventure book, which is a really interesting idea. I like weird. You know what I don't like? Bad writing, contrivance and stereotypes.

First, the writing:
I don't like third person present to begin with, but that wasn't my main problem with it.

"She’s as relieved as she is ashamed of herself. I hardly know her. It’s none of my business what she does or whom she does it with and I shouldn’t be sneaking around spying on her.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
DNF so far.
It's good and twisted and bad and weird and unusual... And unusually it didn't click with me. Grrr. Maybe some other time.
Q:
Aunt Magnolia had said. “I want you to make me a promise.”
“Okay.”
“If anyone ever invites you to Tu Reviens,” she’d said, “promise me that you’ll go.”
“Okay,” Jane had said. “Um, why?”
“I’ve heard it’s a place of opportunity.” ... “You know I get wild ideas sometimes.” (c)
Q:
“How will we get to the house?” she asks. She can see no road. “Will we ascend through the
Yodamom
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Quit at 46%. I struggled to get involved in the story and failed to develop any interest in the characters at almost 1/2 way through the book. The dialog between the characters was odd and felt disjointed. Really it felt so weird to this reader. I was left at this stage in the book still not sure what the book was about. When it started with some secret spy group story that just didn't fit at all for me, I lost all interest. I should have quit sooner but I loved this author's other series, but ...more
Simona Bartolotta
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-english
4.5

“A bell rings somewhere in the depths of the house...”

Why does this have such a low avg rating? I honestly don't see why. It's such a unique book. Don't heed that measly 3.5 and go read it now.

RTC
prag ♻
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to prag ♻ by: Elise (TheBookishActress)
oh
oh
oh!!!!

someone give kristin cashore a fucking award for writing the craziest book that shouldn't make sense but has the best character set to ever exist

sometimes you read a book where you see yourself in it; sometimes you read a book where you hope you’ll see yourself someday — this is both.

it’s a rather confusing set of stories that are in continuation: while there is one introduction and several ways paths might diverge after that as each story, there are meant to be read in order (i
Scarllet ✦ Underrated Lit Warrior
The fact that this book has a Goodreads average rating of 3.37 is a travesty, a travesty I tell you. It's honestly one of my favorite books I've read in 2018 (so much a favorite that I pulled a reread a year later ^.^) I also got it signed and personalized!! I really enjoyed this article on Jane, Unlimited. I rec reading that after checking out the book!!
Jane suddenly feels like a character in a novel by Edith Wharton or the Brontës. I'm a young woman of reduced circumstances, with no family
Krys

I think it's safe to say that we have all been awaiting a new book by Kristin Cashore. I was delighted to see that there is a new one on the horizon for fall of this year. The book, titled Jane, Unlimited, has very little description to recommend it. That said, it's become one of the most sought after books of 2017 on pure hype alone. I understand very well, because I, myself, both read and adored Cashore's previous trilogy, including Graceling, Fire, and Bitterblue. I have been looking forward
chan ☆
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
reading the lowest rated books on my goodreads tbr:
Jane
Feb 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who like mysterious things that are mysterious for no perceivable reason.
Oh good grief! I just can't take any more of this book. DNF at 25%

The premise is interesting enough -- the author originally started writing this as a choose-your-own-adventure book, but then eventually worked it into a lemme-tell-you-multiple-possible-plotlines book. The potential was tremendous! Set in a unique mansion located on a remote island, the story focuses on a tragic (but quirky!) main character. I love books that weave complicated stories in clever ways. Unfortunately, this book is
Stacee
I loved the premise of this and I know so many people love Kristin’s other books, so I was interested.

I really liked Jane. She’s inquisitive and maybe a bit snarky and a genuinely nice person. There are a lot of characters in this story and a lot of working parts and I struggled to keep everyone straight.

Plot wise, it is intriguing and yet, it’s quite dense in parts. It’s almost like a Choose Your Own Adventure book and while I loved the idea, I did get bored in some sections. It’s just...a
Gretchen Alice
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
That was quite like nothing I've ever read before. I'm not sure I was entirely prepared for it, either, but the end result was so worth it. I know that I'm being vague and I'm honestly not sure how much to talk about Jane, Unlimited because it's better just to read it. But since it doesn't come out for a few months, here's what you need to know.

1. Jane has recently lost her Aunt Magnolia, who raised her for most of her life. Her aunt once told her to never turn down an invitation to the
Abbie
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I feel guilty about how deeply I disliked this book. I LOVE the Graceling trilogy - especially the latter two books, Fire and Bitterblue. But IMO, this book is kind of a hot and unlikeable mess.

For starters, let me say that the structure is really, really cool. It's an amazing premise. Tu Reviens is awesome and complicated, the book starts out well - I sensed promise for the characters and complications in their interactions.

But oh my God. The weirdness and surplus of strange detail way, way
Claire Legrand
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You know when you finish a book that's so ambitious, beautifully written, and expertly crafted that it feels like you're missing part of yourself when you're done?

That's how I feel right now. Cashore is a master.
Justine
DNF 45%

Maybe it's because I have the flu, but I don't like any of the characters and they are all so rude to each other. I'm finding it quite grating to read.

I really don't want to go through this business of choosing different paths on the same story over and over to see where they lead. Halfway through the second thread I decided that once through this story was enough for me.
Sara
This brilliant book almost defies description and certainly defies my poor skills as a reviewer. Kristin Cashore established herself as a bonafide genius of young adult fantasy writing with the outstanding "Graceling" and "Fire" but she's positively transcended this (and every other) universe with this whimsical, wonderful coming of age fairy tale that somehow manages to be a spy thriller, a multiverse traveling sci fi epic, a truly chilling ghost story, a sweet love story, and a fantastical ...more
Cori Reed
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
My gut instinct was to rate this three stars, but the more I sit on it, the more I appreciate the sheer writing talent it took to write this book.

I was lucky enough to get to hear Kristin Cashore talk about this book several months ago at a breakfast at BookExpo in New York. She sold it as almost a chose your own adventure, but the adventure is Jane's. Each section of this book is a different genre, based on the decision that Jane makes. It's fascinating and well crafted, and Jane herself is a
Keertana
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a strange novel. Anyone who knows me knows that Kristin Cashore's Graceling and Fire rank among my favorite books of all time. Which, coming from someone who reads as voraciously as I do, is saying something. Needless to say, I've been excited about Jane, Unlimited for quite awhile but I confess that I'm at odds about how I feel about this book.

On one hand, Jane, Unlimited made me feel like a child again. It gave me back that feeling of childhood reading where every page is a surprise and,
Kayla
Hey Ya'll!
Stop by my blog to check out my full spoiler-free review of Jane, Unlimited by Kristin Cashore.

Highlights:
--> 5 Stars
--> F/F OTP
--> Kristin Cashore's first book since 2012!
--> Incredibly well-written and well thought out.
--> The idea for the book is that after a certain point the book breaks off into 5 separate possible endings, and each story is based off a different decision the MC makes at a point in the story. Each part is a
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 9/6/17 and posted on The Book Addict's Guide 9/21/17: 3.75 - 4 stars
JANE, UNLIMITED is literally the most unique book I've ever read. It's unlike anything else, with a unique concept, characters, plot, and structure, and this both enhanced my reading experience and left me utterly confused.

I need to go into books blindly so I don't ruin the twists and the overall experience for myself so I did some reading up on the book immediately after finishing to help ground me a
Lea (drumsofautumn)

I genuinely don't think I could describe this book to someone. It's so strange and weird and I'm really not sure if I understood what was even going on but I loved every second of it.

I have been anticipating a new Kristin Cashore book basically since I finished Bitterblue 4 1/2 years ago. The Graceling Realm trilogy is one of my favourite series of all time and I cherish it so much. I knew whatever Cashore would publish next - I'd be here for it. And I'm really so glad that I decided to just go

• Tess of the Road (Tess of the Road, #1)
  • All the Crooked Saints
  • The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, #1)
  • Girls Made of Snow and Glass
  • Warcross (Warcross, #1)
  • Genuine Fraud
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • That Inevitable Victorian Thing
  • The Belles (The Belles, #1)
  • Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1)
  • A Line in the Dark
  • The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (Montague Siblings, #2)
  • Tempests and Slaughter (The Numair Chronicles, #1; Tortall, #8)
  • In Other Lands
  • Spinning Silver
  • Invictus
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
So, here's the short tale of me: I grew up in the countryside of northeastern Pennsylvania in a village with cows and barns and beautiful views from the top of the hill and all that good stuff. I lived in a rickety old house with my parents, three sisters, and a scattering of cats, and I READ READ READ READ READ. I read while brushing my teeth, I read while chopping parsley, the first thing I ...more
“Do you ever feel,” she says to Jane, “like you’re trapped in the wrong version of your life?” 13 likes
“People tell you that what happens to you is a direct result of the choices you make, but that's not fair. Half the time, you don't even realize that the choice you're about to make is significant.” 12 likes