Jump to ratings and reviews

Good Morning, City

It's dark and quiet.
The moon still glimmers in the sky.

While the baker, the ferry boat captain, and the TV anchorman are busy at work, most people are cozily snuggled in bed. Then dawn's first light peeks through the tree branches. Wake up, city! There is much to be done in neighborhoods all across the metropolis. As the morning gets brighter, the city streets bustle with people ready to begin the day. GOOD MORNING, CITY, by morning news anchor Pat Kiernan, is sure to start the day off right.

32 pages, Kindle Edition

First published November 22, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Pat Kiernan

2 books
Patrick Kiernan (born November 20, 1968) is a Canadian-American television host, appearing as the morning news anchor of NY1 since 1997. He is widely known in New York City for his "In the Papers" feature, in which he summarizes the colorful content in New York City's daily newspapers, replete with his deadpan humor. Kiernan has also hosted game shows and appeared in films and on television either as himself or as a reporter.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
11 (4%)
1 star
2 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 41 reviews
Profile Image for Abigail.
7,083 reviews173 followers
November 19, 2019
In simple, poetic text, the narrator of this picture-book debut chronicles the early morning life of a great city. In the "dark and quiet" the city begins to stir, as bakers and papergirls go about their early morning tasks. Slowly light emerges, and more and more people join the story, waking up and beginning their day, adding their activity to the life of the metropolis around them...

This children's book debut from Pat Kiernan, long-time news host on New York City television, offers a gentle and appealing exploration of early morning in the city. It called to my mind that feeling I get when out and abroad before the vast majority of my fellows - that feeling of excitement and exhilaration, with the day lying all unexplored before me. The accompanying artwork by animator Pascal Campion captures that feeling very well, I thought. Recommended to anyone looking for positive depictions of the life of great cities, with all of their excitement and activity.
677 reviews
November 17, 2016
This book is so much better than a lot of its contemporaries. On the surface, it seems like a simple book about a city morning, but the illustrations definitely raise the bar, making this a love story about the city and all its inhabitants. The realism and diversity of the characters literally make the pictures come alive. I love it!
Profile Image for Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*.
6,001 reviews177 followers
June 30, 2017
Kiernan, Pat Good Morning, City, illustrated by Pascal Campion. PICTURE BOOK. Farrar Straus Giroux, 2016. $16.99.

New York City is a totally different place in the early morning hours. Bakers arrive early to their jobs, newspapers are delivered before the sun rises, and delivery trucks bring fresh food to markets. As the city slowly awakes, noises increase too--rumbles of trucks, clinks of coffee cups, screechings of trains and more. This picture book celebrates the morning in the Big Apple in a special way that will make readers--especially those who love NYC--smile.

On my first read through, I thought this was going to be a total niche book--popular only in NYC tourist gift shops; on a second read I was better able to see the general appeal. The story of a city waking up is fun, and the way it has been written--with emphasis on the sounds of the city--will be memorable and easy to make this a read aloud. The illustrations are colorful and nice, though perhaps more art-like than younger readers will appreciate.

Pre-K, EL (K-3)--ADVISABLE. Reviewer: TC
Profile Image for Cara.
459 reviews4 followers
March 24, 2017
This picture book takes a unique look at community helpers, focusing on those who start their work before the sun is up. A wide range of workers is featured, from delivery people and police officers to waitresses and anchormen. Readers also see the townspeople and a family preparing for the day, progressing through the morning as the sun rises. Brief sentences and the use of sound effects or action words help move the story forward. The detailed, colorful digital illustrations capture the life and movement of the city. The author is a popular news anchor for NY1, but his first attempt at a picture book is successful. Teachers or librarians looking for a new book about community helpers will not be disappointed when sharing this title with children ages 3-7.
April 16, 2019
Written by New York newsanchor, Pat Kiernan, this visually appealing book is filled with onomatopoeia to capture your senses and bring you closer to the morning hustle and bustle of city folks. I love that it highlighted daily morning experiences of city workers from daybreak until sunrise. This book is a double thumbs up for me not just for the beautiful illustrations (Pascal Campion's lighting and shadows are amazing!) but also for the careful observations and presentation of the life of city dwellers.
Profile Image for Jennifer Strong.
736 reviews7 followers
August 8, 2017
The city and the people living there slowly wake up and get busy as the sun rises. It's a pretty straightforward book capturing morning moments of various people-bakers, construction workers, bus drivers, and one family in particular.

I just love Pascal's depiction of human and family life. I think his artwork is fantastic. He does a great job with lighting. The pages get brighter as the sun rises. A really beautiful book!
Profile Image for Beth Kakuma-Depew.
1,626 reviews17 followers
December 14, 2016
I loved the light and action of a city at all shades of dawn. The only odd note was at the end, with the family sitting around a breakfast table and the TV morning news. The TV anchorman is written into the story, getting the last line. Then a I read the author blurb and realized that the author IS a TV new anchor. This is still a very stylish read, perfect for morning people.
Profile Image for Jessica Brown.
301 reviews2 followers
December 14, 2016
This is a cute look at different parts of a city as the day starts. As you read, you'll hear the sounds of the city waking up and see it through the absolutely gorgeous illustrations. I really love this book for the illustrations, to be honest. It's a cute story but those make it 4 stars.
3,714 reviews18 followers
March 8, 2017
What a gorgeous book! The story is simple, showing many people going about early morning activities. The illustrations are just stunning and I loved the way the light intensifies as the time moves on. Nice diversity in the pictures too.
Profile Image for Turrean.
892 reviews21 followers
September 18, 2017
A delightful story of a waking city. There's no narrative here; it's a bit of a list of things that happen as a large city awakens, but the artwork is sprightly and cheerful, and children will enjoy comparing life in this city with their own mornings.
Profile Image for Brittany.
1,918 reviews4 followers
June 16, 2017
I love how this book shares the experiences of everyone throughout the city right down to a baby. Sweet illustrations and cutesy, fun story.
Profile Image for Alison.
582 reviews
July 14, 2017
This is the story of a city awakening just as the sun begins to rise. From garbage trucks and construction workers to families preparing for the day, every morning in a busy adventure.
1,005 reviews3 followers
July 26, 2017
The story of a city from the wee hours to perhaps 8:00 am is interestingly and attractively presented here.

First Line: "Wake up, City."
Profile Image for Irena.
176 reviews5 followers
October 22, 2017
The illustrations are amazing but there's not much substance to the overall "story". Also why's everyone white in the city...
Profile Image for Liliana.
258 reviews15 followers
June 16, 2019
Aha! No wonder the art seemed so familiar. I love Pascal Campion's illustrations. This is nicely done.
Profile Image for Emily.
1,146 reviews9 followers
August 20, 2020
Simple text narrates attractive spreads of different morning city scenes - a bakery, a park, a diner, a ferry dock, a kitchen.
Profile Image for Jana.
98 reviews3 followers
January 13, 2021
As our family looks ahead to moving to a big city (from a remote tropical paradise) we need more books like this in our family lore. It paints a beautiful exciting picture of city life.
9,366 reviews22 followers
March 9, 2017
The city is waking up in all different forms and matters. I love that almost everything has a sound kids can repaet as the item wakes up. A little long but the sound break up means I's still try it with toddlers.
Profile Image for Barbara.
12.9k reviews265 followers
February 25, 2017
As most city residents know, cities never sleep since there's always something going on during the daylight and the nighttime hours. In this colorful picture book, readers have a chance to watch as the city revs up for a new day and its citizens start waking up or starting their jobs. Although there are undoubtedly some night owls out there who are just heading to bed, teh city streets quickly fill with walkers, joggers, delivery trucks, and traffic congestion. As some folks venture forth to diners for breakfast, one family settles down to a delicious meal while watching the morning news. Surely it will be another lovely day in the city. The illustrations capture nicely the hustle and bustle characteristic of getting ready for work as well as the quiet joy of watching a father put finishing touches on the family's pancakes and bacon. Although this picture book seems to be set during the work week since there are school buses in the streets, the family doesn't seem that much in a rush. Maybe they've all decided to play hooky and enjoy an unexpected vacation. There's nothing quite as delightful as waking up to a leisurely day especially after a tough week of work or slowing down even in the midst of getting ready to depart.
Profile Image for Paula.
Author 1 book208 followers
February 25, 2017
Well, I can't help but like this book. Pat Kiernan has been the morning news anchor on NY1 for donkey's years, and he puts a friendly, professional face on the city first thing in the morning. Also, he knows New York in the morning! Cheerful illustrations swing along with the light text sprinkled with onomatopoiea.
Profile Image for Emma.
2,801 reviews352 followers
November 22, 2016
Most people in the city are fast asleep as the city starts to wake up. The baker, ferry boat captain, and even the TV anchorman all start their days early to open the bakery, help commuters get to work, and help other New Yorkers get ready to start their day in Good Morning, City (2016) by Pat Kiernan, illustrated by Pascal Campion.

Pat Kiernan is locally known in New York City as an anchor on NY1 news where he generally works the morning shift including the popular feature "In the Papers." Having spent much of his career waking up in the early hours of the morning, Kiernan's picture book debut explores the varied morning routines of New Yorkers across the big city.

Kiernan's text hits that sweet spot that promises Good Morning, City will be a winner for one-on-one readings or when read aloud to larger audiences. Each page features a brief vignette of something that happens during the early morning as the city begins to wake up.

Campion's illustrations are vibrant and perfectly capture the diffuse sunlight that will be familiar to early risers in any city. Large double page spreads evocatively depict skyscrapers and other buildings and situate the family found in the beginning and end of the story within the larger context of the city.

While Good Morning, City is an obvious nod to New York City, this picture book is a versatile read-a-loud about morning routines, different lifestyles (city vs. country for instance), and generally greeting the day. Good Morning, City is a beautifully illustrated story with approachable text that encourages readers to interact with the story as they, too, say good morning to the city in the story (and their own). Recommended.

*An advance copy of this title was provided by the publisher for review consideration*
Profile Image for Linda .
3,613 reviews39 followers
February 6, 2017
If you're doing a city unit in your class, or just enjoy rading about different things with your kids, this will be a wonderful start or addition to a discussion. Starting with the moon that "still glimmers in the sky", the story takes us through the early dawn until breakfast in one family's home. There are those early workers like the bakers and the newspaper carriers. There are the dog walkers and joggers, up as the sun rises before they return home for their work day. Delivery workers, traffic police and diner breakfast clients-all are here. All kinds of people, getting ready for the day. Lots of detail and lots of diversity makes every page one to savor and examine closely.
Profile Image for Mr. T.J..
15 reviews
January 16, 2017
Fan of big city books, in this case it is a painted picture book. I thought it was San Francisco on the cover, but I believe it's New York City. The lighting is wonderful, like the newspaper girl delivering with her moon shadow cast on the ground (I'm an art major. And at least I think it's the moon.) Pascal Campion's paintings capture the dawn's early light in its beautiful fashion. The mood of his paintings is magical and colorful. Thank you Pat Kiernan and Campion for collaborating one this book!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 41 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.