Start by marking “Lucky Man” as Want to Read:

(Heated Beat #2)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  335 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
As a diehard music fan, a dirty, smoky gig is Vice Squad Detective Danny Jones’s idea of heaven. While watching one of the most popular bands in Northern England, the sight of gorgeous rock star Finn McGovern changes his life forever.

Beneath the tattoos and leather jacket, Finn is kind and sweet, but when he confesses a dark secret to Danny, it tests their fledgling bond.
Published (first published March 11th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Man, please sign up.
Is Yes! It does have the characters from the first book, but it isn't necessary.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Lucky Man is a quiet, intense read. Leigh's writing is beautiful but cloaked in heaviness, and the road to happiness for Finn and Danny is a bumpy one.

Danny, a detective and the son of a Welsh father and Chinese mother, is in the midst of a murder investigation; someone is killing prostitutes in a most gruesome manner.

Danny is distanced from his family and doesn't do well with emotions. He's a closeted cop who works with facts and questions, and is used to looking at things from every angle.

F
Simone
I've read this in one go and I still have to come across a book by this author I don't love. Need I say more?
Jewel
4.5 Stars

Lucky Man is the second book in Garrett Leigh's Heated Beat series. I preordered this one as soon as it became available and was waiting, not so patiently, for its release. It was worth the wait and I loved it even more than the first book. It had none of the frustration I felt when I was reading My Mate Jack, which I was happy about, because even though I loved My Mate Jack, I also wanted to scream and shake the MC's a lot.

Danny is a vice detective in the north of England. He's of mixe
Bev
Loved this one. I love the way Garrett is not afraid to include characters that are 'damaged' in some way and why not, they are just as entitled to find love as anyone else. 4.5 stars from me.

Danny is a police detective, taking some well deserved time off while he's in the middle of a possible serial killer case. He has no family close by, and is spending the night in a local pub, watching one of his favourite bands, the Lamps. When the singer Finn McGovern starts on a cover of the Verve's Luc
Heidi
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, part-of-series
4.5 stars. Loved it! This author ticks a whole heap of boxes for me!
☆ Todd
~
First, let me begin by saying that I'm a big fan of Garrett Leigh's. I loved book one of this series, "My Mate Jack", and more recently her MMM book, "Misfits".

But while I did *like* this book, it wasn't love, as the book had a lot going on and never really came into focus for me, where the romance was concerned.

Here, 30 y.o. Chinese-Welsh police detective Danny was so busy that he had practically zero time for his new love interest, 27 y.o. rock musician Finn.

Instead, we see a lot of pages dev
Sara
As I said in a comment today, this book and this series is like a warm, tight hug with an ass grope from a sexy friend. That is one way to describe it and of course I loved this one just as much as the first.

Finn... gah! I love how the author can take a disorder and not only make you get it but make you fall in love with the man who has it either for that reason alone or irregardless of it. I can't figure it out yet and I don't want to. I just want more of men like our humble and sexy lead sing
Elsa Bravante
3.5.

No de mis favoritos de la autora, pero con ese número de páginas consigue el punto de intensidad, tristeza y esperanza, típica de algunas de sus obras. Volvemos a encontrarnos con protagonistas torturados por circunstancias distintas, y aunque no se adentra demasiado en ellas sí nos permite sentir el problema que les supone en su vida y en la búsqueda del amor. Nos encontramos una historia de amor, pero con ese punto de realidad que hace que no todo sea lo perfecto que desearíamos. La trama
Ele
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Garrett Leigh likes her heroes damaged and tortured, she says so herself. These heroes were no different.They 're not perfect but together they are beautiful.

Danny is a cop. He' s not out at work, pretty much estranged from his family and is currently working on a serial killer case.

Finn is Jack's friend and roommate from My Mate Jack. He's a musician and the singer of his band. One night, after a gig, he meets Danny. The attraction is instant and their weekend together is just the be
Tess
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 stars*
[The Verve's "lucky man" is playing in the background to create the proper atmosphere to write this review!]

There is a feel and style to a Garrett Leigh novel that is so absolutely unique. Her writing always hits me emotionally. I think partly it's the melancholy tone and partly it's her troubled and often solitary main characters.

Danny is a lonely vice squad police officer, somewhat forced back into the closet since he came to work in Nottingham. Finn is lead singer of a band who i
Catherine
*** 3.5 Stars ***

I think this is a case of everyone loved it but me. And I wanted to love it - trust me.

I typically LOVE Garrett Leigh's writing (I have never given anything she's written less than 4 stars). I love her strong sense of place, her complicated characters, and her less flashy - but no less emotionally intense - way of telling a story. She's an author I know I can turn to for a quality story, memorable characters, and editing that won't drive me batty by the time I've finished the f
Lelyana
*** 4,5 STARS***

When I want to read a story with 'real' characters with some 'real' life they've going through and some 'real' flawed people, and still make a one helluva beautiful stories, I'll go find Garrett Leigh and never disappointed.

Garrett writes stories, not fairy tales. Most of her MCs are flawed with difficulties and with some readers, they would say...ugh...we need 'perfect heroes'.
Don't read Ms.Leigh books if you want that kind of story. Don't read her book if you want to read some
Keveen
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS

Well this was an okay read. I had the same rating with the first book but to be honest, I preferred the first book more than this. It's still a good read nonetheless.

Finn and Danny are hot. Like seriously. A rockstar-ish singer plus a copper? Yes please! I liked Finn's personality. Danny had a great taste in music. They had struggled to get to have their relationship started but they tried to fix it and it happened. I just loved their relationship. It's hard especially when both of you
Rachel
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The thing with Garrett Leigh's books is that she could be writing about your next door neighbour or the dude who serves you in the coffee shop. Her characters aren't perfect, they have hangups, they argue and sometimes you want to shake them and shout "sort it out" and that's what's great. They are real, you're totally invested in their story and you want them to work everything out and to have their HEA. This second book of the Heated Beat series was no exception, I loved Danny and Finn, their ...more
Cadiva
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one's more angsty than the first in the series but for good reason and not just thrown in for plot. Finn's mental health issues are dealt with sympathetically and - to me at any rate - realistically.

Danny's vice work was also true to life, I was a journalist and I've had plenty of experience with the ins and outs of a criminal investigation, my ex was a policeman too so I totally got the distracted state Danny was in at times.

Together their relationship was developed slowly and with a great
Sheri
Do you know what I absolutely love? When the first book in a series is great but the second is sensational. Will and Jack in ‘My Mate Jack‘ warmed my heart. I adored them. Danny and Finn? Lit my insides on fire. I was nervous and anxious but it was sweet torture. To be honest, I’m still stressing a bit. Correction. I’m not necessarily worried but I’m stuck; I can’t seem to shake them. I feel like I need to check in on them, see them again, to have the reassurance that everything is okay. Have yo ...more
Alisa

Another great read from this author. The first book in this series was a little lighter than we usually get from her but this story was back to the slightly melancholy yet starkly beautiful stories that she writes. In this, Danny, a closeted police detective falls for rock star Finn. Finn is a great guy but he is struggling with a life impacting mental illness. Danny has to decide not only if Finn is worth coming out for but can he deal with the ongoing issues that come with loving some
Pjm12
Powered through this, which isn't hard because it's not a long story. Garrett's writing is smooth and addictive. She doesn't waste words, so the narrative doesn't get bogged down in unnecessary detail or descriptive (although if you like that, more power to you).

This odd pair would never work on paper. Finn's secret means he is reserved and closed off. Danny's job as a vice cop requires him to be reserved and closed off. It's a match made in heaven.

Although we switch between the pair as narrator
R.J.
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is book 2 and is just as good as book 1. Garret has a way of telling a story that has me unable to leave her books. I really recommend this book, and you can read it as a standalone, but actually you shouldn't, you should read book 1 as well!!!

This story is less about the murders, and more about a Detective who balances work and love, and a singer who has to try desperately to find balance in everything. Beautifully done.
Janeylou
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Aerin
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far I’ve never read any book written by Leigh that I didn’t love and this one isn’t an exception. Lucky Man is book 2 in Heated Beat series and while it can be read as a standalone, I encourage you to read My Mate Jack as well; the characters from book 1 are present throughout Lucky Man and it would prevent any confusion.

Fenn is Jack’s very close friend and band mate and he is such a likeable character. He is honest and truthful, real, sweet and flawed. Leigh did such a good job writing his c
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
What can I say about this book?
I will say Garret can take an affliction and make it seem like she's the one that's going through it,which then comes across like you're the one going through it lol. Finn has an uncommon disorder, and I think Garret did such a great job with it (just like Jake in Misfits).

Finn's in a band called Lamps, and Danny decided to go out with a friend to see the show. Danny decided to stay at the bar for a bit and has his first encounter with Finn. Uou can feel the chem
UltraMeital
Sweet and heart warming short novel. I already stated many times before how much I enjoy Garrett's writing, this one being no different, yet I gotta say I have a lot more respect for her after reading this one with what Finn was dealing with. I"m not going to write what (not to spoiler..), I'm just going to say that it's quite rare that authors choose to write flawed characters especially the way Finn is..

Finn and Danny were SO sweet together. They had two main things getting in their way - 1st
Katie
Voluntary and honest review of an Advance Copy generously provided by the author via Signal Boost Promotions.

3.5 Stars

Lucky Man
spins Heated Beat into whole new territory with Finn, a super sexy musician whose soulful tunes cut Danny the cop to the core with the feels.

This begins with what could easily be a simple one night stand. But, these guys are undoubtedly caught on each other’s hook from the get-go. Their lives are vastly different, though they’re both somewhat tortured souls. Danny is up
justanya
Jan 05, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf
think it's just me because I usually love Garrett Leigh.
No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into this story! 50% in and I couldn't understand why these two were together. This story focused more on the MC's work, not their relationship. They barely made time for each other and I kept wondering "where's the glue keeping you two together?"
Neither had the time to commit to their relationship. Danny and Finn literally spend weeks at a time apart and barely communicated with each other
Leda
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Character development...character development...character development
What can I say? She did it again!There is a reason Garrett Leigh is one of my favorite authors. Character development is extremely important to me. And I have never met a character Garrett has created that I didn't like, understand or couldn't relate to in some way. They are true to themselves, and yes, I appreciate that. Her characters are wonderful! Real, believable & so beautifully flawed.

I completely fell in love with
Tina

Loved the second book of the Heated Beat series, and at least for me, it’s the better story.

Danny is a detective and has to balance his sometimes nerv-wracking work and his growing love to the hot, tattooed band lead singer Finn.

Finn, diagnosed with a mental sickness, feels damaged. He is withdrawn and reserved, he doesn’t do good in crowds. Watching him struggle with his health issues was both touching and heartbreaking.

I loved that Danny didn’t give up on Finn. Their growing love is so beaut
Sofia Grey

I gobbled this book in 2 sittings last year, then fell waaaay behind on my book reviews, and never marked it as complete. I read it again yesterday, and remembered just how good it it :)

I loved this book so much. I adored the predecessor (My Mate Jack), but this one was sublime. Garrett Leigh does not shy away from mental health issues, and writes about them with a gentle hand. Who could fail to love Finn McGovern, guitarist and singer? The man behind the glossy front is complex and endearing, a
Logan Adam
Jan 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
WTF!!! THE F***ING COVER IS POPULAR TWITCH STREAMER ANTHONY KONGPHAN THIS MAKES ME SO ANGRY THAT YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO PUT SOMEONES FACE ON YOUR BOOK THIS IS TERRIBLE AND EXACTLY IS WHAT THE MODERN BOOK MEDIA DOES JUST STEALS SOMEONES FACE BECAUSE ITS EASIER AND DOES NOT COST MONEY. YOU MAKE ME FEEL BAD TO BE THE SAME SPEICIES
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I'm consistently amazed by how Leigh can write emotionally heavy and poignant stories that don't rely on melodrama to make their point. This is a seemingly light read that still leaves an emotional impact due to the fact that the characters are real, facing real problems, and they're doing so without being emotional basket cases.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Lucky Man by Garrett Leigh 2 21 Mar 11, 2015 07:41AM
  • Sloe Ride (Sinners, #4)
  • A Kind of Truth (A Kind of Stories, #1)
  • Lima Oscar Victor Echo and The Truth About Everything
  • Jurassic Heart
  • Beneath the Stain
  • The Luckiest (Lucky Moon, #2)
  • Kitto (Tyack & Frayne, #4)
  • True Brit
  • Stygian
  • Laser Visions
  • High Concept
  • Running with Scissors
  • Risk Everything on It (Ready or Knot, #2)
  • Metal Heart
She/Her

Bonus Material available for all books on Garrett's Patreon account. Includes short stories from Misfits, Slide, Strays, What Remains, Dream, and much more. Sign up here: https://www.patreon.com/garrettleigh

Facebook Fan Group, Garrett's Den... https://www.facebook.com/groups/garre...

Garrett Leigh is an award-winning British writer, cover artist, and book designer. Her debut novel, Slide, wo

Heated Beat (2 books)
  • My Mate Jack (Heated Beat #1)