Start by marking “The Last Secret of the Deverills (Deverill Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Last Secret of the Deverills (Deverill Chronicles, #3)

The Last Secret of the Deverills

(Deverill Chronicles #3)

It is 1939 and peace has flourished since the Great War ended. But much has changed for the Deverill family and now a new generation is waiting in the wings.
Martha Wallace came to Dublin from her home in America to find her birth mother. But instead she has lost her heart to the impossibly charming JP Deverill. Then she discovers that her mother comes from the same place
Published July 13th 2017 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published April 3rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Secret of the Deverills, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michele I presumed she was talking about the baby she had just before she was killed -- Liam O'Leary. He was both a Deverill and an O'Leary and, thus, it…moreI presumed she was talking about the baby she had just before she was killed -- Liam O'Leary. He was both a Deverill and an O'Leary and, thus, it explains why Maggie said it was "Our" blood (referring to both the Deverills & the O'Leary's blood) flowed through Alana. I don't remember if the lineage of the O'Learys was outlined in the prior two books but I presume it was through this Liam that the current O'Learys descended. Would be interested if anyone else thinks differently.(less)
Pslane Hi Charlene,
Hi Charlene,
The release date on Amazon.com is July 1, 2017. I finished reading it about 3 months ago. And I never found out the answer to the question I posted about it when I finished it. The paperback is reasonably priced.(less)

Start your review of The Last Secret of the Deverills (Deverill Chronicles, #3)
Katie B
This was a good old fashioned soap opera taking place mostly in Ireland around the 1930s and 40s. This is the third book in the Deverill Chronicles and while it can be read as a standalone novel, I highly recommend reading the other books first. This was my first introduction to the series and there were just so many characters with different backstories that it could be overwhelming at times.

Like I said before, there is definitely a soap opera quality to the book as there is a lot of sleeping
Teresa
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the last in a trilogy.

This book didn't grab me as much as the first two. It took me a while to get into it and I found it a bit slow at the start. Once I got going and met all the characters from the first two books the story took off. Then the last few chapters turned into mush for me. Everyone was forgiving everyone and for certain things I think would be hard to forgive. There was also a lot about God going on with this forgiveness that just annoyed me and a lot of tears.
There were
Adrienne
Book 3 of the series of 3; built around Castle Deverill. Again great characters, excellent plots, delightful prose, terrific twist and turns and unputdownable. The story is at the edge of plausible. Ghosts - not so sure about. Absolutely loved it.
Pattie
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great series! This is the first time in a long time that I didn’t read another book in between books 2 and 3...I just had to keep going...lol
Thanks Santa!! Xx
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Martha Wallace lives with her family in Connecticut, but she is traveling to Ireland to find out who her birth mother is as she has recently found out she is adopted. While in Ireland, she finds herself instantly attracted to JP Deverill, who she starts to have strong feelings for. But their relationship is complicated for a variety of reasons. Then there's Bridie Doyle, who has come back to Ireland after spending many years in America. She returns extremely rich and with a Count for a husband; ...more
Stephanie
A fantastic series! This was probably my least favorite of the three but a much needed conclusion to what I think should be renamed as "The Meddling of Lady Grace Rowan-Hampton".
Anna
I loved the first in this 'family saga over the decades' trilogy but was very disappointed by the second, and was therefore a bit concerned about this final installment.

I needn't have worried though - the intimate, character-led storytelling that was sadly lacking in the second book was back and it felt like the first book all over again, familiar and cozy. Overly mushy at the end (as expected), but still a great read.
Jayne Phizacklea
Amazing, such a brilliant story, the 3rd in the Deverill series and in my opinion the best. Right up to the very last page. I cant recommend it highly enough. Its a real joy and i will miss the characters as if tgey were real life friends
~Sofia~
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Secret of the Deverills is the third and last novel in Santa Montefiore's Deverill trilogy. Spanning the course of at least 100 years we follow the Deverill family and all there chaotic wrong doings during England and Ireland's political disputes. We follow young Kitty from an infant all the way up to a mature lady. Despite all the atrocious life choices this family make, I swiftly fell in love with each and every character making this a very engaging read.

My particularly favourite
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I did enjoy this, but the problem with sequels is if you don't read them continuously, it's difficult to remember details of the plot. I've read tens of books since book two of this series and I struggled with the fine details of this, despite various recaps interspersed throughout. I would highly recommend, now that this trilogy is complete, to just read the whole lot in one go!
Gina
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigh. I'm actually rather bummed that my journey with the Deverills is over. Even though the book did what I feared and wrapped some things up easier and neater than I would like, some of the ending parts were satisfying and I think I'm going to have a bit of a book hangover from this trilogy. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. I already miss the beautifully descriptive, emotion-evoking writing and the vivid pictures of Ireland and London that Montefiore provides throughout the book.

Would I
Laura Van kesteren
I really love the storyline of The Deverills ...more
YVONNE KING
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I read books by Santa Montefiore because I am always assured of a good read. However
this is the first book I have read by her that was really disappointing. Almost seems
to have been written in a hurry to finish the Trilogy. Such a shame as the first 2 books were
Brilliant. The plot was confusing, contrived and unbelievable. Let's hops she is
not loosing her touch.
Nassim
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
This trilogy got worse with each instalment - mawkish and poorly plotted. However the characters and the setting were charming and I suppose this would be ok for a holiday read or something. Wouldn't read her again.
Eileen
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very satisfying end to this entertaining trilogy, even if it was a bit sappy at times. I recommend the whole series.
Gaele
The year is 1939 and Bridie and her husband, Count di Marcantonio and her son Leopoldo are the new owners of Castle Deverill- but apparently the town can't forget that Bridie was once Bridie Doyle, the daughter of the cook. Unremarkable until she fled to America to make her fortune, where she now has returned to ‘home territory’ having ‘made it. Or has she? Her husband is a cad and unfaithful, her son is a spolt brat, the castle still carries a curse, and Bridie’s son, given up to her ...more
Desirae
This had everything needed to create a dark gothic tale: haunted mansion, irish curses, incest. But the whole thing failed on multiple levels for me.

(view spoiler)
Aisling
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of this author so I had high expectations. Plot wise it does not disappoint (although ick factor for the twins story--I loved the beginning of this story and then ugh when you learn why it is doomed and no that's not a spoiler because they are non identical twins and the reader does not find out until quite late). The atmosphere/settings were great. There are a lot of people (dead and alive) to keep track of but Santafiore does a great job of making them unique enough that you have no ...more
Sue
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love it when a book ties up all the ends, feel like I've lost a friend though!
A most enjoyable trilogy.
Maria
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Loved #3 in the series much better than the second book. Some of the the wording was a bit juvenile, toward the end, but a solid 4 stars.
Tina
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great triology...couldn't put it down
Gemma Stockham
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally absorbing and a splendid tale that ties together all the loose ends of the Deverill/O'Leary story.

Another fantastic read.
Brandy Jo
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Third and final book of the series. I enjoyed every minute of getting to know these characters. I must say I'm going to miss Kitty, Jack, and Bridie. Such drama but it was the setting I loved most. I would love to go to O'Donovan's and get a pint. Or just chill at the Fairy Ring. Ahhhh Ireland take me away.
Margaret
Book 3 of The Deverill Chronicles has come to a fitting conclusion, I think this is the first time I have read a trilogy in as many months. I really enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy, the characters were interesting not always likable, the story was plausible and I love the Irish setting.

They were lots of loose ends that tied up nicely for some, not so much for others. But a fitting conclusion to a series that spanned from 1916 till after the Second World War. Three young girls began
Breakaway Reviewers
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant ending to the Deverills story.

This is the third and last book in the trilogy and I would thoroughly recommend reading them all. Years ago, I read similar family sagas by Susan Howatch and loved them and I think Santa Montefiore’s books are equally good with regard to the plot but she is a better writer.

It is now 1939 and Castle Deverill is owned by Bridie who is living there with her husband Count di Marcantonio and their son Leopoldo. However, the people of Ballinakelly still cannot
Nancy (Nani)
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was quite a trilogy. I am very impressed with Santa Montefiore as a writer. I had previously enjoyed The French Gardener by her. This last book in the trilogy, The Secret of the Irish Castle, was very difficult to put down. I wept through the last few chapters, both happy and sad tears. I continue to think of all the amazing characters which the author did such a wonderful job bringing to life for the reader. Looking forward to reading more of her books! Fortunately she is quite prolific!
Cara Jepsen
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I hate giving this two stars, especially after liking the first two books of the series so much, but I didn't like this book from the beginning. Where to start... it took 100 pages to even get going and the storyline of having JP and Martha falling in love? Dumb. I should have been eating this sickly-sweet, tied-up-with-the-most-gorgeous-bow-ending-for-everyone plotline, but I read to the end out of obligation. Such a tragedy for the last book of this series. By the end I was so done with all ...more
Melissa
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
As the last book in the series, it did what I was a little worried it would do… Fizzle out and make everyone’s stories “happy endings with a bow on top.”

Where the author bypassed many details on World War I, she went a little overboard on JP’s World War II experience IMO. Dragged.

The overall ending was just a little too happy happy for everyone getting what they wanted and felt very sped up at the end as well.

Overall I liked giving closure to characters I had invested so much time in, but I
Nancy
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars

This is the third book in the Deverill series but it was my first. I didn’t find it necessary to read the previous book to follow the storyline although there is clearly greater depth and history to the characters in the previous books. The story is more of a family saga which is great for those who like those. I found it mildly entertaining but am underwhelmed. Perhaps had I read the previous books I would have been more invested. It was convoluted but shallow. A lot of tawdry affairs
Karin Verburg
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
o my what a dissapointment for me. Too many storylines. Too many adultrous people . Too many non-credible storyplots. Too many reverences to the previous books (yes I know the castle burned down eg). Too many details repeated (eg Yes I know Michael Doyne has dark haircurls). I just finished the book because I wanted to know how it ended. I think 4 Montefiore books in 3 weeks is too much for me...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Moon Sister (The Seven Sisters, #5)
  • Ojalá ésta fuera nuestra historia de amor
  • The Royal Secret
  • The Pearl Sister (The Seven Sisters #4)
  • The Sun Sister (The Seven Sisters, #6)
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter
  • The Olive Tree
  • The Shadow Sister (The Seven Sisters #3)
  • The Storm Sister (The Seven Sisters #2)
  • Deverill Chronicles  #3
  • The Orchid House
  • Overzee
  • The Sapphire Trader's Secret
  • Tiritas de amor
Born in England in 1970 Santa Montefiore grew up on a farm in Hampshire and was educated at Sherborne School for Girls. She read Spanish and Italian at Exeter University and spent much of the 90s in Buenos Aires, where her mother grew up. She converted to Judaism in 1998 and married historian Simon Sebag Montefiore in the Liberal Jewish Synagogue in London. They live with their two children, Lily ...more

Deverill Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Girl in the Castle