Start by marking “The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #17)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #17)

The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk (Nancy Drew #17)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  4,562 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
A trunk that Nancy receives from her father for a trip to Buenos Aires becomes the center of a mystery.
Published December 1st 2001 by Applewood Books (first published 1940)

Jessaka
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was not one of my favorites. I couldn't even find a mystery in it,
Mimi
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not only is my edition old enough that pieces of the pages were crumbling off while I was reading, but it is apparently the original plot instead of a re-vamped one.
Delightful, fun re-read. Definitely hit the spot.
In case you are wondering, this book is about two minutes shorter to read that the time it takes to play a Little League baseball game :)
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the more dated Nancy Drew books, but cruise ships and mysteries do tend to go hand in hand.
Hannah
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It's Nancy Drew, so of course I enjoyed it.

However there was one thing that I cringed over the entire time I read the book; it was a bit painful to be honest. That thing is the lack of understanding over how American Sign Language works. Of course, I think that is due largely in part to the decade in which this book was written, but it still bothers me.

Because they only talked about the alphabet, which in ASL is only used for fingerspelling words that do not have signs. Also, you don't sign ever
Simone Sylvester
It started out pretty slow. And I cheated on this book by reading like 2 others over the time it took to read this. This started with Nancy Drew returning from her fabulous vacation in South Africa! La-de-da-da! Sees a man using the deaf's sign-language. Has credible knowledge of the deaf's sign language. Sees HER name being spelled. Shares cabin with important character (who is also charming and reasonable, and not in any way suspicious or evil. Receives a **Mysterious brass-bound trunk** ident ...more
Whitney
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nancy and her gal pals take a trip on the LOOOOVVE BOOOAAAAT

No, it's not actually like the LOOOOVVE BOOOAAAAT; it's more like the POORLY SECURED MYSTEERRRY BOOOAAAAT

Soon she'll be meeting another boy . . .
The POORLY SECURED MYSTEERRRY BOOOAAAAT
Seems like several times she gets thrown overboard . . .

There are costumes and unmarked luggage and kidnappings and attacks with blunt Obbbjjeeects . . .

There's no security onboard so Nancy must defend herself from all the suspeeeccttts . .

They disguise
Ethan Nahté
The Nancy Drew books are definitely a sign of their times, when information wasn't readily available and the majority of the youth population was a little more naive and easily thrilled. The books may still appeal to MG/YA. As an adult, stories such as The Mystery of the Brass-bound Trunk are a bit obvious and the situations in which Nancy Drew and friends find themselves barely holds up in this era.

Nancy's new brass-bound trunk and another girl's trunk are caught up in a confusing shuffle from
Faye
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
so, I think that I have the original 1940's version by Grosset and Dunlap and the story line is similar to the plot that is outlined here on Goodreads but...there is no South African roommate and they are going to South America not South Africa. They meet a friend on board named Nestrelda Darlington whose trunk is also labeled with the initials N.D. hence the mixup with the trunks. Nestrelda's mother is the one who is implicated with stealing the jewelry not some roommate. Very curious about the ...more
Tamara Vallejos
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The version I read is the revised one, about Nancy and friends on cruise liner from Holland to NYC. Which is what made it so interesting because this is the first time in 17 books that Nancy has been in a life threatening situation in which she legitimately could have died a horrible death. It lasted just for a couple pages but you can certainly feel the stakes ramping up as the series goes on. Plus, this is the first book that mentions the girls getting kisses from the trio of boys (when they a ...more
Heather
Oct 12, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids
I wanted to read one of the Nancy Drew series again because I loved them as a kid and there's a new Nancy Drew movie coming out.

I really don't understand what I liked to much about these books when I was younger. The mystery wasn't that tough to figure out, nothing too complicated. I was really surprised at how much I didn't like it.
Angela
My first classic Nancy Drew book since I was little, and I am presented with a random meteor that almost kills everyone on a cruise ship! This also has absolutely nothing to do with the story! Also, every chapter has to end with an exclamation!!!

Ah, Nancy Drew. I still love you.
Emily V
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this book! It’s an exciting adventure and mystery!! I love how you don’t really know who the bad guy is until the end! Definitely recommended!
Josiah
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a fun and exciting book!!! Love how it’s a little more intense than the other books since the bad guy is on the same ship as Nancy!!
Jentry
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This Nancy was silly. I loved how this one ended.
Ashley
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raven Reviewer
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Another mystery finds Nancy, Bess and George when they embark on an ocean voyage on the Winschoten and a brass-bound trunk is delivered to their room.

This might be an older writing style written for younger readers but it sure is an entertaining, fast read. The most remarkable characteristic of this plot-driven, action-packed mystery adventure is readers are on a need-to-now basis. If readers do not need to know something, it is not in the book. There are many characters but we are not told thei
Jen
Eeee, Nancy!

I love the old books. The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk was ALWAYS my favourite as a child. I think I read it about fourteen times. I guess now I know why I'm obsessed with cruise ships.

Things I adore about this novel (some serious, some not-so-much):

1. The fact that Ned is MIA. He was so unutterably boring, and as a kid, I used to ask my Mother why Nancy was with him. His name was Ned Nickerson for crying out loud. She deserved much better.

2. Nancy's cheatin' ways. I love how sh
Stef
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
There's a mix-up with a -- you guessed it -- brass-bound trunk, which now that I think about it, doesn't make much sense (why was the jewel thief saying "Beware Nancy Drew" as the ship pulled out of harbor, before the mix-up happened?), but perhaps that's no surprise. George gets a mysterious head wound that's never properly explained, although it's made to seem meaningful. There's even a plot hole where the thief admits, "Oh, no, that message had nothing to do with this," and then is NEVER FURT ...more
Lauren
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy always gets her man! I love the wholesomeness of these books, as well as the feminine fun. For those who have enjoyed previous installments, you won't be disappointed with this latest mystery.

For those looking for a light pleasurable read, this is a great pick. It's not necessary to read the other stories in this series first, but I don't think this would be a good first book to read-many of the standard character set isn't present, and the setting is on a boat-the standard settings aren'
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Rachel Brand
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I recently recieved a whole load of books back from a young friend of mine, ranging from Babysitters Club books to rather battered Nancy Drew novels. This was one of them, but apparently I'd leant this book out unread! I'm glad I got it back as it was a really cute little book which I enjoyed. I particularily liked the part where Nancy had her skirts "taken up" in the summer and "let down" in the winter - so quaint! I'm now trying to get some more Nancy Drew books and build up a little collectio ...more
Evelynn
It's so hard writing reviews for Nancy Drew books. For the original 56, that is. So I'm going to keep it brief.

This mystery almost didn't keep me on edge and guessing like the others did. Could be that this "Carolyn Keene" was the newest one at the time and her mystery development was a little different. I'm not sure. It just didn't seem as intriguing as usual. But, sheesh, it's a Nancy Drew book. It was really good anyway, and it brought back memories of trips to the library and going home with
Jessi
Again, a case of mistaken identity. This time with a piece of luggage. Cute story. Nancy actually travels outside Riverton Heights to solve this one. And it's on a boat! With South Africans! No mention of the oppression there but then, the book was written in the 1940's. Also gives Nancy a chance to showcase her abilities (understanding some American sign language). This was the cleaned up '70s version, I wonder how different the '40s version must have been.
Barbara
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Just wanted to see if I'd ever read this and discovered I hadn't. What's amazing to me is that I can actually differentiate between the books. They are so formulaic and predictable but I still had to finish it before I put it down. I actually carried it to the theater with me so I could read it between acts. It's not that it's good - it's just a bit addictive - probably my escapist reading. Better than romance.
Abbie
Have to say, it's not my favorite ND mystery. Plot was drawn out with seemingly frivolous turns-of-events, with the many relationships and potential love interests. The mystery itself wrapped up too fast with Nancy solving it in a jiffy without hardly explaining how she came to the conclusion or the reader finding clues for themselves within the chapters. But at least I can say that I've read it.
Tricia
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood, own-it
I remember my mum's American friend bought me this when I was little. I absolutely loved endless mystery series in which fairly bland protagonists solved unlikely mysteries time and time again. I'm a bit too cynical to re-read any Nancy Drew books now, but at the time I absolutely loved them. I think the series goes on for too long to be taken seriously - you can definitely have too much of a good thing - but this book alone stood out as my favourite. Ahh, nostalgia.
Jessica
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, childrens-lit
I’ll never dislike a Nancy Drew book, probably, but this one was a little less mystery a little more just, interesting situations. Nancy and her chums Bess and George go off to Buenos Aires when everything that could go wrong before, after, and during a trip, does. Fender benders, lost passports, contentious mothers, jewel thieves, disguises, missing luggage.. As Nancy would say, all the makings for a good mystery.
Amy
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
ships ahoy! nancy and her gal pals land on the dutch ship wischoten for some salty, seafaring, shenanigans! the foreign ship setting is very refreshing, having a titanticesque feel to it- minus the sinking, of course. handsome gents, passengers & staff alike, help the girls onboard, adding some interesting eye candy. chivalry, carolyn keene realizes, should never go out of style. i just hope ned, burt and dave don't get wind of it.
Macjest
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Last year I read the book Girl Sleuths and remember the mention of how the books were changed from the first release. It said that sections were removed. So I decided to get the two different versions and compare. Hah! The two books were 99.99% completely different. The only similarity between the two was the three girls and the trunk!
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This time Nancy uncovers a mystery while taking a cruise with her best pals George and Bess, and a new friend Nelda. With their help she stops a ring of jewellery thieves and clears Nelda and herself from suspicion.

I enjoyed this mystery because of the change of scenery as well as the clever disguises and tricks which occurred throughout.
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Uninvited Guest (Trixie Belden #17)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
  • Anatomy of a Scandal
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Perfect Stranger
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Lying in Wait
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Birdman
  • Hanging Hill: A Novel
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“I’m inclined to believe that August must be convinced it was taken to the hold,” Rod said.” 1 likes