Start by marking “Catching the Wind” as Want to Read:
Catching the Wind

Catching the Wind

What happened to Brigitte Berthold?

That question has haunted Daniel Knight since he was thirteen, when he and eleven-year-old Brigitte escaped the Gestapo agents who arrested both their parents. They survived a harrowing journey from Germany to England, only to be separated upon their arrival. Daniel vowed to find Brigitte after the war, a promise he has fought to fulfill
Published May 9th 2017 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Catching the Wind, please sign up.
Susan Yes, I do think a mature teen could read it! No problem, and I'm very conservative when it comes to these things! ;-o

Start your review of Catching the Wind
✨ Gramy ✨
Melanie Dobson created a magical telling of a story in 'Catching the Wind'. Although there were struggles, danger, and separation between many characters, it was all woven together in the conclusion so magnificently!

The audible narration by Nancy Peterson presented the story in a most engrossing manner, that completely absorbs the reader's mind and attention fully.

What happened to Brigitte Berthold?

That question has haunted Daniel Knight since he was thirteen when he and ten-year-old Brigitte
Beth
"But the stories kept them both pressing forward."

I always begin a Melanie Dobson novel with a sense of eager anticipation. While I haven’t read all of her novels, I have read her more recent ones, which includes a couple of dual-time novels In Catching the Wind, past and present meet in a most compelling, beautiful way. I’ve read my fair share of dual-time novels, but Dobson brings a freshness to it that kept me equally invested in both times.

Typically, in a novel that has both contemporary and
Pamela
"We each choose between good and bad in our hearts, and our actions follow. The hardest choices are when we don't know if something is good or bad."

Bittersweet and beautifully written, Catching the Wind enraptured me with mystery and intrigue, and filled my heart with a flood of emotions. It is a story of war. It is a story of orphans, espionage, traitors, survival, and courage.

"On days like this, He thought God must surely be crying over the destruction mankind unleashed on one another. At the
Beth Erin
Full review on Faithfully Bookish

Oh my heartstrings, sweet little Brigitte and brave young Daniel will completely capture your reader heart and soul with their terrifying escape to freedom. Daniel's steadfast dedication to reuniting with his dearest friend spans decades and Quenby is his final hope to locate Brigitte. Although Quenby is reluctant to accept assistance from Daniel's young (and handsome) lawyer, Lucas patiently proves himself to be a trustworthy gentleman.

Dobson provides readers
Olivia
Two timelines meet in an intriguing tale of love and searching.

This was such a sweet story! I've seen this author's name around, but this is the first book I've read by her. I'm impresed with how she connected the two storylines and brought to life each character. Quenby's name made me smile. I love unique names! And then there's Lucas and Daniel Knight. *sigh* This was such a wonderful journey!

I felt the last fourth of the book had a lot more telling than showing, and it took me a few minutes
Staci
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Dietmar and Brigitte's escape from the Nazis was breathtaking. Dietmar (13) is only three years older than Brigitte (10) yet he takes ownership of getting her to safety. 70 years later and Dietmar hasn't been able to find Brigitte after they separated. He hires American Quenby Vaughn to find her. Catching the Wind is definitely a page turner!
TL
Feb 16, 2018 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
I received this via Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own:).
----

Tried but couldn't get into it :( I appreciate winning it but not my cuppa
Robin Hatcher
This was an engaging time-slip novel. My heart broke for Dietmar and Brigette because of the war and passage of time that separated them. There are quite a few viewpoint characters in the book, something I love when done well, which this was.

There were memorable lines within the novel, but this one spoke to me as a writer: "There is power in story . . . We may be powerless at times in life, but on paper, we can chase our demons away."

I listened to the audiobook and can see why it won an Audie
Susan Snodgrass
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That question has haunted Daniel Knight since he was thirteen, when he and ten-year-old Brigitte escaped the Gestapo agents who arrested both their parents. Where is Brigitte Bertholde? They survived a harrowing journey from Germany to England, only to be separated upon their arrival. Daniel vowed to find Brigitte after the war, a promise he has fought to fulfill for more than seventy years.

Now a wealthy old man, Daniel's final hope in finding Brigitte rests with Quenby Vaughn, an American
Jean
This audiobook won the 2018 Audie Award in Historical Fiction. The story goes back and forth by chapters from past to present. In one chapter we are following two children: 13-year-old Dietmar and 12-year-old Brigitte. Their parents have been killed by the Nazis and they are fleeing Germany trying to get to England. The other chapter is in modern times features Quenby Vaughan, an investigative journalist, who has been hired by Dietmar (Daniel Knight) to find out what happened to Brigitte.

The
Melissa
WOW! Just wow.....this book is AMAZING! The way the Melanie wove the story the story and brought the threads together....this is definitely one of the best books I will read in 2017. I love the World War Two era and stories set in it. Catching the Wind has two timelines: WW2 and present day with Quenby(what a cool name!) trying to solve the mystery of what happened to a German girl who fled to England to escape the Nazis. The young girl fled with her best friend who has spent the last 75 years ...more
Nora St Laurent
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Readers are transported back to July 1940 Moselkern, Germany and introduced to a young boy named Dietmar Roth; a young warrior in charge of knights sworn to protect ten-year-old “pretend” princess named Brigitte Berthold. Their kingdom was a treehouse that had an amazing view of the forest and the back sides of their homes. From the treehouse, they could clearly see the outside world banging down the doors of their homes. They watched in horror as their parents were interrogated. Dietmar Roth ...more
Lori
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book rather different. I enjoyed it very much and I must say blending past with present day certainly keeps it interesting!
It's a story searching for truth and wanting to know what happens to certain people.
I like it because its like a puzzle piece waiting to be put together again to make life whole.
It's amazing what people can do to one another in times of war or whether they be doing illegal activity. It is hard to believe that they do those kinds of things even during war
Amy
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catching the Wind may my favorite book written by Melanie Dobson yet. It starts off during World War II Germany with Brigitte Berthold and Daniel Knight escaping the Gestapo, who had already their parents. Their journey takes them to England where they are separated. These two go to a place in history they never thought possible.

I love this story! Melanie Dobson has weaved quite a tale. To be honest, I was not sure what I thought of Quenby in the beginning. I quickly began to like her more and
Hannah
Dual timeline books can be hit or miss for me, but I loved the flow of this one. Melanie Dobson had me turning page after page far into the night as I wondered what happened to Brigitte and if she could possibly survive long enough to be reunited with Deitrich/David. The minute I opened the cover and started reading, I began to scold myself for having waited so long to pick it up. It has a lot of pages, but it doesn't feel long at all.

Quenby was an interesting character and I loved how her job
MJSH
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
I loved Beneath the Golden Veil, but this book totally blew me away! What a work of art. The beautiful, poetic, melodic, soulful writing sucked me right in at page one. The intricate plot that spans multiple generations and countries/cultures gave depth and layers to create a story that all clicks in the end. Intrigue, suspense, and a bit of romance were so well combined and thoroughly stirred that I couldn't put the book down. History was also stitched into the fabric of the book by having half ...more
Rebecca
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I shall make a wish on this tree, . . . . . . I want you to capture the wind." . . . . . .says the princess to her knight.

Childhood friends, Dietmore Roth and Brigitte Berthold, saw their lives torn apart before their very eyes, when Gestapo agents violently raided their homes and disposed of their parents . Outside playing in Dietmore's tree house, the two frightened children literally ran for their lives, crossing borders and nearly starving, before Dietmore made a painful decision that
Deyanne
I would probably generously rate this a 3.5 but several elements defer my giving this book a higher score. This is a war telling of a sort of Hansel and Gretel tale. Two children flee Hitler's atrocities. Their bond and friendship is strong and becomes the motivating action in the book - the search to reunite. There are numerous themes in this novel: abandonment, survival, resiliency, doubt, courage, trust, hypocrisy, friendship, love, faith, etc. The Christian elements seemed an afterthought ...more
Emily Sinclair
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book and the plot twists throughout! I was engaged from the first chapter, and enjoyed all of the characters. Without giving any details away, I'd highly recommend this book to those who love a good intrigue and a very involved mystery with lots of treachery involved. The time-slip part of the book was handled very well. Just a good book overall, and who doesn't love a book that involves German espionage in WWII in such a frightening setting? :)
Hunter Brock
The novel Catching the Wind by Melanie Dobson is a historical fiction novel with strong themes that speak of the Christian romance genre. mainly addresses the heart-wrenching aches of abandonment, and seeks to satisfy the longing for redemption, reconciliation, and reunion.

A couple of things that made this book enjoyable for me as a reader:

The first thing is the plot structure. I really appreciated about the book was how the different threads woven throughout the story ended up being connected
Audrey
This is story of lost girls being found. It alternates between the story of Brigitte who escaped the Germans in World War Two and of Quenby, a modern day reporter. There is sadness and disappointment but in the end their is redemption and forgiveness. I wish I could write a better review but I don't want to give out any spoilers. This is a special book and I am very thankful to the author for sharing it with me. I loved this delightful treasure.
Andrea Cox
FTC Disclosure: I received a complimentary ecopy of this book from NetGalley. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts.

There were both high and low points in this book for me. I liked the WWII thread best, but the contemporary one featured a lovely mystery. The depth of both storylines was wonderful and kept me entertained and interested from beginning to end. Themes of forgiveness and redeeming the lost were beautiful the majority of the time.

Things got a little awkward
Michelle
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melanie Dobson has yet to write a book I didn't love. I have read my fair share of WWII novels but somehow Dobson has a way of making each story its own, completely different. This novel has two different time periods that go back and forth, which are written so well you won't even be confused! I loved all the characters in this book, but I think Brigitte will always have a special place in my heart. The history is fascinating and once again I learned a ton that I will have to do more research ...more
Karen R
An investigative journalist is hired by a reclusive millionaire to find a dear friend he was separated from during World War Two. While digging deeply for clues, she may just solve a personal mystery of her own.

Wow, what a fabulous read, one that kept me up late just to see how it ended! A perfect illustration of how we are not abandoned by God, how the Good Shepherd searches for His lost sheep, and even in the darkest places, His hope shines through.
It was a tragic story in many ways, yet
Renee
Great mystery, touching story from the past, satisfying ending! Deals with themes of loss, betrayal, overcoming personal tragedy & redemption. Inspirational.
✨Susan✨
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, epic
A very well written story that is well rounded and character driven. Such wonderful view of a lifelong friendship that was forged out of pain and loss. Good and satisfying ending.
Michelle
Lately it seems I rarely finish a book because I tend to get bored with the story. I finished this one, so that tells me something. I wasn't bored. Nor was I on the edge of my seat. The author wasn't trying to create anxiety, but it was more like a tender longing and a deep need to understand the past and find healing in it. She did a great job showing the fear of abandonment and the wariness when it came to trusting anyone. I was intrigued with the story. It gave me a warm feeling in my heart ...more
Clara
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I have no hesitation in giving this book 5 stars. No hesitation at all!!
I applaud the author for being brave enough to link an atrocity that happened years ago with an equally wrenching reality in the present that we need to open our eyes to. I enjoyed how the author took upon a new approach to the events surrounding WWII that I was not aware of.
I thoroughly enjoyed both the present story of Quenby as well as Brigitte and Dietmar's story during WWII, and I think the author brilliantly linked
Kav
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just been sucker-punched by a novel. I'm still gasping and gaping and grappling with a mass of tangled emotions. Powerful. Memorable. Heart-wrenching. Hopeful. Triumphant. Everything that is good in a story multiplied by a hundred! Or a thousand!

So, I read Hidden Among the Stars last week and a few people mentioned how wonderful Catching the Wind was so I checked my library and -- oh bookish glee -- they had the audio version available. I downloaded it immediately and started listening
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Medallion
  • Castle on the Rise (Lost Castle, #2)
  • The Things We Cannot Say
  • The Lost Castle (The Lost Castle, #1)
  • No Ocean Too Wide (McAlister Family #1)
  • We Hope for Better Things
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Far Side of the Sea
  • The Deep, Deep Snow
  • The Sky Above Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #2)
  • Until We Find Home
  • Viva Durant and The Secret of the Silver Buttons
  • Strands of Truth
  • A Perfect Silhouette
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Not by Sight
Writing fiction is a fun excuse for Melanie to explore ghost towns and old houses, travel to unusual places, and spend hours reading dusty books and journals. She writes both contemporary and historical fiction with threads of romance and suspense.

Melanie is the award-winning author of almost twenty time-slip, historical romance, suspense, and contemporary novels including Catching the Wind,
“That's what she wanted more than anything. To be free of her anger. Wounds.” 1 likes
“And many people—today and from years past—didn’t understand or honor faithfulness. A deep commitment to those you loved, to persevere no matter what. One didn’t just forget a lost friend.” 0 likes