Start by marking “Shining On: 11 Star Authors' Illuminating Stories” as Want to Read:
Shining On: 11 Star Authors' Illuminating Stories

Shining On: 11 Star Authors' Illuminating Stories

In this thoughtful and engaging collection, 11 acclaimed authors explore the highs and lows of growing up and shining on in the face of obstacles. A parent's departure, a sister's illness, a cheerleader's breakup, a family's secrets . . . these stories sensitively capture the challenges—and triumphs—of finding the way to a bright tomorrow.

Featuring powerful stories by Lois
Published May 8th 2007 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Shining On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shining On

Start your review of Shining On: 11 Star Authors' Illuminating Stories
belva hullp
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
81. Shining On: 11 Star Authors' Illuminating Stories by Lois Lowry; (4 1/2*); kindle; library book; BPL; WOMEN'S FICTION; Y/A; shorts; (JULY, 2018)

I totally loved this book of shorts edited by Lois Lowry, who has also contributed to the slim volume. Each story is a bit quirky with the story or the characters and sometimes both. Most of them 'got' me right at the end and I found myself laughing aloud wile reading several of them.
I definitely recommend this book of shorts to those of you who
Pushkar Deshmukh
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quirky short stories about young ones .... teens !

Must Read
Kathryn
Oct 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
I love compilation books, and this one is another good read. Because most of the authors are British, I am not familiar with a lot of their writings, but I plan on reading quite a few of them now that I have gotten a taste. And isn't that what compilations are for--I mean besides supporting whatever charity the proceeds of the books are supporting, that is?

All of the stories in Shining On center on teens overcoming whatever challenges life throws at them, and the proceeds of this particular
Kate
Dec 02, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: short_stories
I enjoyed this compilation of short stories by some well-known young adult authors (mostly British). I did wish though that more of the stories would have had male protagonists (although all but one of the authors were female and what boy would ever pick up this book with that cover?). But, overall, the stories were well done and interesting.
Leah
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
It surprised me how much I liked this book. I didn't know what it was when I first picked it up and didn't like the essays at first, but by the end it really hit my coming of age/young adult fiction soft spot. Short snap shots of what it is like to be in a teenager's world. Be prepared for lots of angst.
Sara
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly this book was really good!! I saw it on the shelf at the library and it just pulled me it with teen drama ;)
You would think its one of those stupid corny books that shows someone growing up...but it's NOT! The stories great except one or two.
Mckinley
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, short-story, favorite
Chapters taken from books. Nice variety.
Genavieve
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
It was ok but not my favorite I did like the stories coming home and Getting the message.
Emily
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
These stories are really good and you can re read them, I liked the one with the twins (Skin Deep), but I'd recomend it to anyone.
Mara
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really liked Meg Rosoff's story "Resigned." Meg Cabot's story fell flat for me, though.
bjneary
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved most of the short stories by really great YA authors and I recommend this book to teens.
Allison
Most of the stories were pretty cliche teen novel type things but I did really like "Humming through my Fingers" by Malorie Blackman.
Julian
Jul 21, 2008 rated it liked it
interesting collection of modern (and a few older) YA short stories.
Amelia
Jul 10, 2013
Liz
I have been on a Lois Lowry kick since stumbling upon the Anastasia Krupnik series. I grabbed this book from HPL Overdrive without reading the summary indicating it was a collection of short stories from various authors. What a find! This collection has introduced me to several new authors that I want to track down their books. Category: mostly realistic fiction, young adult, one ghost story
Emily

• The Honest Truth
  • City Boy
  • Out of My Mind
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always