Start by marking “Wingfeather Tales” as Want to Read:
Wingfeather Tales

Wingfeather Tales

(The Wingfeather Saga)

Enter a world of bomnubbles and quarreling cousins, sea dragons and book publishers, thieves and Fangs and secret maps, with brand new tales written by:

- Andrew Peterson (The Wingfeather Saga)
- Jonathan Rogers (The Charlatan's Boy)
- N. D. Wilson (100 Cupboards)
- Jennifer Trafton (The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic)
- Douglas McKelvey (The Angel Knew Papa and the Dog)
- A.
Published November 25th 2016 by Rabbit Room Press (first published November 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Wingfeather Tales, please sign up.
Athelas Hale It's an add-on book! Some of the stories take place before, some after, and some have no direct relation to the main character at all. You should be…moreIt's an add-on book! Some of the stories take place before, some after, and some have no direct relation to the main character at all. You should be sure to read the entire main series before you read this. (less)

Start your review of Wingfeather Tales
Carin Meerdink
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having loved Andrew Peterson's Wingfeather Saga, I was thrilled to participate in the Kickstarter campaign to bring an animated series based on the books to the screen. Wingfeather Tales was one of the promised rewards for backers. I was intrigued by the concept--a collection of short stories by different authors set in the Wingfeather World. Not a sequel, but a companion to the original works. I was intrigued, but I can't say I was all that enthusiastic, because it just wouldn't be the same, ...more
Micah Ferguson
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sad, but great.
Rebekah
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome!!!! I should warn you, it doesn't mention any of the Wingfeathers in it, so you will finish reading it knowing just as much about the outcome of their family as you would after having read his other four books. Also, Andrew Peterson only wrote one of the short stories within. So basically, this collection of tales is like very high end fan fiction. It IS high end though. All the stories are written extremely well. (Some arguably better than Andrew Peterson.) I really enjoyed ...more
Nate Thern
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book gets five enthusiastic stars on the strength of the heartbreakingly poignant novella The Places Beyond the Maps. It also has 4 other short stories and a poem.

The Prince of Yorsha Doon: Fun, solid short story about a distant city that (I think) was mentioned a few times in the Wingfeather Saga canon. It gets 3+ stars that are swamped by the gripping & epic 5 star journey in The Places Beyond the Maps.

The Wooing of Sophelia Stupe: Short, goofy, semi-neurotic story that gets 3 stars
Katherine Forster
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book is awesome in every sense of the word. Full review to come.
Athelas Hale
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
First off: You should buy this book. Here. It's on sale right now.

When on Saturday, a friend asked me what my plans for this week were, I told him it was to read one more book. I had spontaneously set 50 books as my to-read goal on Goodreads at the beginning of the year- I had one more book to go. Because I have no life, I had no other plans.

Christmas morning (well, all right, it was Christmas Eve due to the shifting of schedules for Church on Sunday, Christmas morning), I was handed a package
Beth Anne
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud, 2017, 2019
2019:
Each story is so different. Trying to put down a few thoughts about each

Story 1: I liked better on reread. The first time I was wanting a different story; knowing what was coming helped me appreciate it even more.

Story 2: My least favorite. Clunky to read, especially the first half. I do think it finishes strong.

Story 3: Still think it’s almost too short but really well done.

Story 4: I liked this one more on reread as well. It’s a fantastic look into the early life of Podo, of what made
Paul Willis
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
So this wasn't as epic as the original series. :)
But I still liked it.
Especially the Ballad of Lanric and Rube.
Luke Miller
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
When I was young, my sisters would normally devour all of their Christmas candy within the first few days. Not me. I tucked most of mine away in a drawer and savored it a little at a time over the next weeks and months. Turns out, I do the same thing with books. At any given time, I have 5-10 books laying around the house or office that I already know are going to be 5-star favorites. I had this particular book put aside for a couple months when I finally jumped in.

If you have not read the four
Before I start this review, a few things to clear up: Wingfeather Tales is not a sequel. It's a companion anthology of short stories; some take place before the Saga, some after, and some during roughly the same time. It also does not explicitly suggest anything more about what happened with the epilogue of Warden, which is actually good- I have my headcanon and it makes me very happy, and I like not having said headcanon shattered by actual canon. (That said, there is a tiny piece near the end ...more
Gina Johnson
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well...it doesn't come even close to comparing to the Wingfeather Saga but it was good. We all enjoyed it, some stories more than others, the very last story, by Douglas McKelvey was beautiful and epic and moving and tied perfectly with the original series. We also really enjoyed the story written by A.S. Peterson, Andrew's brother, and we're probably going to read some of his other books now too. (It should be noted my children thought I should give it 5 stars.)
Lindsay B
Ok, so I might not have actually finished the book. It was a collection of a few different short stories, each one by a different author. I read all of the stories except the last one which was The Places Beyond the Maps. I decided to rate the stories individually instead of rating the book. The Prince of Yorsha Doon by Andrew Peterson: .
The Wooing of Sophelia Stupe by Jennifer Trafton: . Willow World's by N.D Wilson: . From the Deeps of the Dragon King by A. S. Peterson: . The Ballad of Lanric
Bob
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun collection of stories based on the Wingfeather Saga series. They generally go along with it well, closely matching the whimsical humor and creativity, yet deep subject matter. Let me warn you, though, that last story is a doozy: it's darker than the rest of the series, I felt, but still powerful. Most of the other short stories in this book are really quite light-hearted and enjoyable.

Last note, in case someone needs a hint (because I almost didn't figure it out, except by accident),
John
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds, 2017
I began reading this one out loud to my kids, who all loved the Wingfeather Saga. They loved these too, until we got about half way through "The Places Beyond the Map."

All of the stories are good, but some are simply great. "From the Deeps of the Dragon King" and the "The Places Beyond the Map" are two of the very best. These stories are complex, emotive, and beautiful.

Though Douglas McKelvey lost my kids (10, 8, and 6) half way through his novella, I read on myself and found the story only got
Daniel Souza
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Peterson does it again; this time with comrades! I read most of this aloud with my oldest son and we regularly found ourselves either laughing out loud or on the edge of our seats. Of course, one should not even remotely consider reading this without having first read the four-book Wingfeather Saga.
Josh
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Until Douglas McKelvey's contribution, I was thinking three stars would be plenty adequate.
Rachel
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
You have to read it as it's okay own book. Not comparing it to the Saga. Once I got this in my head,I enjoyed it a lot more.
Dylan
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of the Wingfeather Saga, so I was very excited when I found out there was going to be a collection of short stories set in Aerwiar. I am going to review the short stories in the order they appear:

1. The Prince of Yorsha Doon by Andrew Peterson - This story was actually my least favorite of the 6 short stories, because it didn't feel like it was set it Aerwiar. Though he wrote the Wingfeather Saga, I don't think he captured the magic of Aerwier quite as well as he did in the
Jeremy
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read only Wilson's entry so far, easily the shortest story of the collection. Fun connections to the Cupboards books—Henry (kind of) makes an appearance. The phrase "willow worlds" appears in Leepike Ridge (p. 6).

I haven't read any of Peterson's books yet, but I'd like to.

Some artwork by friends/acquaintances from my years at Bob Jones: Cory Godbey and Justin Gerard.
A.M. Reynwood
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Andrew Peterson's Wingfeather saga thoroughly, so one can only imagine the thrill of learning of and getting your hands on a collection of short stories set in the same universe. Each of these tales carries the same sense of whimsy and wonder as the original saga, giving more depth to the history, world, and characters that makes you wish you could jump through the pages and be there.
Kristen Usher
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Each story pulls in some delightful quality of the original book (Silliness! Redemption! Wordplay! Punctuation!) while being its own unique story. These short stories aren't just side bars, but full, rich tales from the world that Andrew Peterson created.
Naomi
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2017, faith
Probably 4.5 stars. The last story was amazing!
Kristin
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just finished, and I am sobbing. Wonderful, wonderful stories!
Stephanie
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
Well...I really WANTED to love this book! From cover to cover, I was waiting for "THAT" moment when all the reviews live up to one's (inflated) expectations. I bought this for my sons as a stocking stuffer the moment it came out, and it earned me HUGE points--they were BEYOND excited to dig into it since we were still freshly grieving the end of our read-aloud time in the beloved Wingfeather series.

Each night we'd gather up and I'd read aloud from Wingfeather Tales--only, my sons lost interest
Jon Cheek
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
After spending countless hours in the world of Aerwiar, reading and re-reading the original Wingfeather Saga with my 8 year-old daughter, we were more than excited to read Wingfeather Tales together. We were a bit disappointed.

Wingfeather Tales includes 6 stories written by different authors. Of course, the stories by the Petersons were wonderful, and we enjoyed "The Ballad of Lanric and Rube," by Jonathan Rogers. "Willow World," by N. D. Wilson was fun, but we wished it was longer.

It was a
Leila Bowers
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a worthy addition to the Wingfeather Saga, with a few minor complaints.

I have a deep and abiding love for the Raggant of N.D. Wilson's 100 Cupboards Trilogy, and although I appreciate the inter-relatedness of many modern fantasy worlds presented by the authors in this compilation, this new layer does not mesh with how the Raggant is created and characterized by Wilson, and thus I consider it apocryphal and not canon.

My other critique rests with the final story: it is agonizingly
Joe Selness
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Prince of Yorsha Doon was a welcome re-entry into Aerwiar, written by Andrew Peterson. While it only featured one familiar face in a minor role, it fit nicely into Peterson's established world and set the tone nicely.

The Wooing of Sophelia Stupe indeed felt like reading one of the books footnoted in the Wingfeather saga, but the story had trouble holding up under the enthusiastic loquaciousness of its narrator. It felt like reading a whole story made out of the aforementioned footnotes.

Rick Stuckwisch
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful "encore" after finishing the Wingfeather Chronicles. It's not a sequel, but a collection of short stories (more or less) -- varying significantly in length and style -- set within the world of the Wingfeather Chronicles, by a variety of authors associated with Andrew Peterson. It was interesting and fun to explore the world with some other sets of eyes. The final story in this collection (actually half the length of the book) is a fairly engaging tale, though the style is ...more
Allison
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful journey back into Aerwiar and the world of the Wingfeathers! McKelvey's novella was breathtaking and worth more than the price of the book! I had to read ND Wilson's story twice just to figure out what, exactly, I'd just read since it was written in his tilted, fast-paced style, but I enjoyed it all the same. AP's opening story about Yorsha Doon was perfectly cromulent, Trafton completely took on Pembrick's voice with a delightful missive, Pete's pirate tale of young Podo Helmer ...more
Timothy Cloninger
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
The main story, The Places Beyond The Maps, was a great story. Worthy of 5 stars, except for the fact that it's part of a story written for children (mine loved the series). This story is amazingly written, but easily one of the most difficult I've read... as an adult.

Sometimes for pages it felt like the author used a thesaurus to replace every other word with a word outside the 40,000 most common. Also, why did so many sentences run into hundreds of words? I wouldn't be surprised if a couple
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy, #1)
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • 100 Cupboards  (100 Cupboards, #1)
  • Henry and the Chalk Dragon
  • The First Fowler (A Green Ember Story, #2)
  • The Black Star of Kingston (The Green Ember #0.5; Tales of Old Natalia #1)
  • The Legend of Sam Miracle (Outlaws of Time #1)
  • Ember Rising (The Green Ember, #3)
  • Ember Falls (The Green Ember, #2)
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • The Dragon's Tooth (Ashtown Burials, #1)
  • The Secret of the Swamp King (The Wilderking Trilogy, #2)
  • The Charlatan's Boy
  • Dandelion Fire (100 Cupboards, #2)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Every Moment Holy
  • The Long-Lost Home (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #6)
Hey, folks. If you're just discovering me or any of my work, it can be a little confusing because there are several facets to it. Here’s the rundown:

• I write songs. I also record them to these cool things called CDs and put on concerts around the country. (And beyond! To my great delight, I get to play in Europe every year or so.)

• I write books. I’ve written a four-part fantasy series for young

The Wingfeather Saga (4 books)
  • On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga #4)