Start by marking “Poe: Stories and Poems: A Graphic Novel Adaptation” as Want to Read:
Poe: Stories and Poems: A Graphic Novel Adaptation

Poe: Stories and Poems: A Graphic Novel Adaptation

In a thrilling adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe s best-known works, acclaimed artist-adapter Gareth Hinds translates Poe's dark genius into graphic-novel format.
It is true that I am nervous. But why will you say that I am mad?
In "The Cask of Amontillado," a man exacts revenge on a disloyal friend at carnival, luring him into catacombs below the city. In "The Masque of the R
Published August 1st 2017 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Poe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poe

C.G. Drews
I do love when graphic books make classics more accessible. I'm not sure if these were the full stories though? The poems in here seemed complete (I really like the Anabel Lee poem...maybe because of Lady Midnight \_(ツ)_/ who can know for sure). I haven't the faintest what the Raven is actually about except it's not quoting someone evermore.

The art was really good too! Very grim and dark and the prevailing colours were BLACK and bLACKER. A very full palette. Poe would be proud.

I have to...uh, sa
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I never turn down a good excuse to pick up a story or two of Poe's, and this collection has the utmost horror classics, naturally: The Masque of the Red Death, The Cask of Amontillado, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Bells, Annabel Lee, and The Raven.

The artwork in this adaptation is gorgeous and feels so fitting to Poe's particular brand of horror, as it's understated yet gruesome. I am definitely interested in picking up a hard copy of this adaptation in the future, and can
David Schaafsma
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hinds is one of the premier graphic adaptors of great literature for young people. Here he adapts the core of stories and poems from Poe most children read in school, so it's good for helping us see the horror Poe intends, dark, swirling art to get at the dark emotions Poe explores.

Included: Masque of the Read Death, The Cask of Amontillado, Annabel Lee, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Bells, the Raven with a concluding illustrator/adaptor's note on Poe and the lit included.
Sud666
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, comics
Edgar Allen Poe has always been one of my favorite authors. This collection of Poe's Stories and Poems are adapted to the comic medium by Gareth Hinds. Hinds, in the past, has done creditable adaptions of other classic tales. For the most part this continues in this volume dedicated to Poe.

Generally speaking I am not a fan of abridged versions of tales, unless you're a child, as it distorts the author's original ideas to make room for modern sensibilities. For the most part, this edition does th
Amy Yingling
The stories included in this book are: The Masque of the Red Death, The Cask of Amontillado, The Pit and the Pendulum, and The Tell-Tale Heart. The poems included in this book are: Annabel Lee, The Bells and The Raven. Amazing illustrations! Even if you've already read these stories and poems by Poe you really need to take the time and read them with the visual delight that is Gareth Hinds' illustrations. I'm not going to review any of the stories or poems here because I have read them all befor ...more
Becky -  Pug and Books
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-galley
Poe: Stories and Poems: A Graphic Novel Adaptation by Gareth Hinds

Star Rating: ★★★★★ 5/5 stars

Format: ebook galley

Summary: A selection of short stories and poems by Edgar Allan Poe presented in graphic novel form.

Review: I received an advanced galley copy of this book from NetGalley for review.

I love the gothic genre, and really no one author encapsulates that genre quite like Edgar Allan Poe. So I was pretty interested in a graphic novel using his stories. I wasn't sure how it would work out
Morris
I can’t rave enough about this graphic novel. The artwork is beautiful and the style changes for each work to perfectly fit the mood. It’s an excellent introduction to Poe’s works for the younger set and even includes a theme guide at the beginning of each work. In the back is a piece on each story or poem that gives vital information into both its creation and Poe’s life in general. I can’t recommend this enough!

Five enthusiastic stars.

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy pro
Sara
Confession time. I kinda sorta maybe don't really like Edgar Allen Poe. As a self described fanatic for all things macabre I live in mortal terror of having my membership card in the freaky deaky we love dead things and sad poems club revoked entirely based on this fact.

I just don't get him. All of his stuff sounds like a whiny emo boy and I always picture Kris Kattan's character Azriel from Saturday Night Live whenever I try to envision him. Like he's sitting at a rikkety wooden table writing b
Krista Regester
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Unpopular opinion time : I kind of hate The Raven.
Jill Jemmett
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This collection of Edgar Allan Poe stories and poems begins with The Masque of The Red Death. In this story, Prince Prospero has a party in his castle, so his friends can escape the red death that is happening in the city. He has 7 different rooms, each decorated in a different colour. But when the clock strikes 12, an unusual guest makes his way through each of the rooms to the Prince. This is a very illustrative tale, because of the colours in each room. I loved the way that the colours even r ...more
L. McCoy
Warning: I will admit I have not read a lot of Poe's prose work (though I definitely intend to and I have read The Tell-Tale Heart and The Raven before) so if you want to know how true to the original material this comic is, I honestly don't really know.

What's it about?
This is a collection of various Edgar Allen Poe stories told in comic book format.

Pros:
Most of the stories are fantastic!
The art is just perfect for the story-telling.
The tone of this book is really creepy and cool. Sometimes olde
Sara
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am an over the top Edgar Allan Poe fan. From Poe tattoos to a room in my home devoted to the man, I eat up everything that I can with his name upon it. When I saw this graphic novel of Poe's works available for early review, I knew I had to request it.

Poe's work pairs beautifully with the visual design of this graphic novel. The images brilliantly portray the horror, despair, and Gothic feel of Poe's stories, as well as the sadness and longing of his poetry. Since "The Cask of Amontillado" is
✰ Alexandra ✰
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The art in this was gorgeous!! and of course, Poe is a genius!!! Review to come :)
Andrea
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
So, Catherine became obsessed with Edgar Allen Poe at the very exact same age that I did while growing up. While we were in Philadelphia, we visited the National Park of one of his homes; we visited the home where he wrote The Tell-Tale Heart and The Black Cat, also the place where his wife died. Since being in that house, listening to a pretty scary rendition of The Black Cat and getting totally spooked because of an old A/C unit kicking on (we were in a back room, just Catherine, Charlotte, an ...more
Wayne McCoy
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Poe: Stories and Poems' adapted and illustrated by Gareth Hinds is a pretty impressive work. I really liked the illustration as well as the adaptations.

There are 7 stories and poems in this collection. They vary from the lesser known, like 'The Masque of the Red Death' and 'The Bells' to the more popular, like 'The Tell-Tale Heart' and 'The Raven.' The adaptations are superb, using Poe's own words. There is a key at the beginning of the book, so the reader will know if the story features things
Zephyr
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Gareth Hinds's illustrations were definitely chilling enough to match Edgar Allan Poe's original tone. I also enjoyed the key at the beginning of each story which had a list of motifs to look out for in the particular passage. This is one of the better adaptations of Poe's work I have read, but it still doesn't quite live up to the standards that Poe set.

Sorry, Hinds.
Kristen
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really love the way that Poe made his words flow together so harmoniously in his poetry. I'm now obsessed with The Bells.
Bojan
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Cask of Amontillado is my favorite story in this book.
Jessica
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Poe, but in the past I've struggled with The Pit and the Pendulum. The illustrators set up was amazing. It gave me a new appreciation for these macabre tales.
Nancy
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2017/11/1...

I have been looking forward to this graphic novel adaptation by Gareth Hinds that recently came out, for his previous adaptions of classics such as Beowolf, Macbeth and The Odyssey have received rave reviews. I was not disappointed, although I didn’t feel it was a home run either.

The Masque of the Red Death– Using vivid imagery, this story incorporates the theme of “death comes for us all” quite effectively.

The Cas
Brett
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully brings to life some of Poe's most thrilling works!
Paul Franco
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Seven of the master’s most famous works rendered in visual form. Being a huge Poe fan might skew my opinion, but since my very favorite story isn’t in here, I don’t think it’ll be a problem. Was going to try to keep my comments to just the graphic novel’s depiction, but as usual my questions about the stories crept in when I wasn’t looking.
Masque of the Red Death:
Starts, appropriately enough, with a depiction of what the plague does to a human body. This is easily the most colorful of the storie
Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)
After tackling graphic novel adaptations of many classics such as Beowulf, The Odyssey, and various Shakespeare's plays, Gareth Hinds ambitiously takes on the challenge of reimagining the famous poems and stories of Edgar Allan Poe. The short stories in the graphic novel includes "The Masque of Red Death", "The Cask of Amontillado", "The Pit and the Pendulum", and the "The Tell-Tale Heart". Hinds also visualizes three of Poe's poems: Annabel Lee, The Raven, and The Bells.

Before each story and p
Stephanie Tournas
Four stories and three poems of Edgar Allan Poe are presented in graphic novel form in Gareth Hinds' newest adaptation of classic literature. Detailed mixed media illustrations rely on dark colors and deep shadows to produce a satisfyingly creepy effect. I especially enjoyed the visuals for "The Telltale Heart." The reader can watch the smug murderer lose his composure and descend into insanity before their eyes. Another clever touch is Hinds' "Poe Checklist", which is a list of twelve themes pr ...more
Mary Lubbers
Edgar Allen Poe is one of my favorite authors, and I was so excited to see that there was a graphic novel adaptation of some of his most famous stories and poems. And I definitely thought the illustrations were excellently done.

Hinds adaptations of the stories are well done as well, and he does a good job of maintaining the feel of the story through his edits to fit illustrations to them.

*However* the one issue I have, is not with Hinds adaptation specifically, but an unintended consequence of
Mrs. Kenyon
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Poe: Stories and Poems is a graphic novel adaptation of seven works by Edgar Allen Poe. Most of these stories and poems will be familiar to readers, yet even as a first introduction to Poe, it is great. Hinds has added depth and details to these vivid tales and brings them to life beyond a personal imagination. The author mentions that the original narrators are not described and encourages readers to think of their own narrators while enjoying his version. A great book for readers new to Poe or ...more
Kate
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. The artwork is gorgoeus and well suited to each story and poem selected. There are helpful footnotes to explain classical references and different spellings without taking you out of the story. The index even has a guide explaining what goes on each story like scary noises or guilty consciences, as both a trigger warning and indicating themes and motifs. Highly recommended.
Sabrina Kaye Fox
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I already loved stories by Poe, but seeing it in the format, all dark and eerie rather than just seeing the words on a page made for an astounding reading experience.
I will definitely be buying this when it comes out. Thanks to Netgalley for the review copy!
JoshuaG gates
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
it was too violent for me the entire book revolves around death
Taren Zietlow
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Name: Taren Zietlow

Book title: Poe: Stories and Poems. The Tell-Tale Heart, 1843

Personal response (3-5 sentences)
I love stories like these because of how dark they are and for their revealing twists at the end. The Tell-Tale Heart is a great story involving mainly murder and insanity. Since Edgar Allan Poe is known for his dark and bloody stories, he is actually my favorite poet.

Plot summary (5-7 sentences)
In The The Tell-Tale Heart, it starts out with a man who is living with an older man with
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery": The Authorized Graphic Adaptation
  • Manga Classics: The Jungle Book
  • Razzle Dazzle Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #4)
  • Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Witch Water (Witch Saga, #2)
  • Stone Mirrors: The Sculpture and Silence of Edmonia Lewis
  • The Wendy Project
  • Escape from Syria
  • That Is My Dream!
  • The Road to Epoli (Rickety Stitch and the Gelatinous Goo #1)
  • Home Time: Under the River (Home Time, #1)
  • I Am Alfonso Jones
  • The Unwanted: Stories of the Syrian Refugees
  • Yvain: The Knight of the Lion
  • Are You an Echo?: The Lost Poetry of Misuzu Kaneko
  • Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire
  • Pantheon: The True Story of the Egyptian Deities
  • Garbage Night
Gareth Hinds is the creator of critically-acclaimed graphic novels based on literary classics, including Beowulf (which Publisher’s Weekly called a “mixed-media gem”), King Lear (which Booklist named one of the top 10 graphic novels for teens), The Merchant of Venice (which Kirkus called “the standard that all others will strive to meet” for Shakespeare adaptation), The Odyssey (which garnered fou ...more