Start by marking “Just the Way You Are (Pleasant Gap Romance #1)” as Want to Read:
Just the Way You Are (Pleasant Gap Romance #1)

Just the Way You Are

(Pleasant Gap Romance #1)

Single mom, Eisley Barrett, prefers to keep romance safely housed within a centuries-old mystery, but when she travels to England to unearth the secret, an actor with a sordid past offers her reluctant heart a very different type of discovery.

Wes Harrison has a past he’s ashamed to confess. Suspicious and cynical, he’s managed to avoid romantic entanglements since a
Published April 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Just the Way You Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just the Way You Are

Start your review of Just the Way You Are (Pleasant Gap Romance #1)
Beth
I am definitely the oddball here with my thoughts on this book. I did like it, but when I compare it to the other two novels by Basham that I've read, it just doesn't do it for me. It was all just a bit much. I don't care for romances that move really fast, and the one here definitely does. Some things just seemed really over the top and dramatic for me. It is a sweet, cute story, but it lacked a lot of depth (again, in comparison to her two Mitchell's Crossroads books). There's a lot of ...more
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I really thought I would enjoy this book more, but even with its quirky Appalachian and swoony British main characters, I had a difficult time connecting to them. I felt thrown into the story and wished for more of a setup to draw my interest to the plot. I was distracted by the alternate gushing and angsting of Eisley over Wes, and even though their kissing scenes were amazing, I felt like there was something missing. I think it would have helped to see more of their friendship developing early ...more
Hannah
Awww, this is such a fun and lighthearted romance, with a thread of mystery. I absolutely loved Eisley's klutziness and sense of humor. It's on the high end of romancey-ness for me, but didn't ever get over the top too much. I wouldn't recommend it for under 18 because of some details about Wes's past and a certain side character who appears in "a red towel." I definitely appreciated the Christian message and I really loved the old mystery that ran through it (you know me; I always prefer ...more
Courtney Clark
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
At the heart of any great story lies characters who are likable, relatable, and dynamic. Author Pepper Basham always succeeds in penning her characters as such, with a healthy dose of family and joy. Wes and Eisley are what propel this story from a light and humorous start to an ending with surprising transformation, romance, and depth. Add in the fairy tale-like England trip, family mystery, and pop culture references and you have the perfect witty romance.

Country meets England between to
Cara Putman
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a delightful contemporary romance with great humor and a touch of Cinderella. These are also incredibly real characters, each broken in their own way by events in their pasts. I loved this story of brokenness, forgiveness, grace, and humor. The romance is AMAZING. A truly swoon-worthy hero, but he's not perfect. Who is? Only in books and movies are they perfect save one flaw. This man is so human, and that makes him all the more loveable. And I adored the heroine and her kids. Wow! ...more
Susan
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-favorites
4.5 stars!!!

I found this contemporary romance utterly delightful. What happens when a girl from Appalachia meets a swoony Brit? There are so many laugh-out-loud moments that my family thought I was crazy. I can see this made into a movie, especially the closing scene.

But beyond the banter, the big family craziness and an old family mystery is a story of second chances. It is a story of forgiveness, trust and love.

A few of my favorite quotes:
" God loves you just the way you are. It's amazing and
Brittany
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book that I have read by this author, and I can heartily and definitely say that it will not be the last! In fact, this story will be going on my “read again” shelf for sure!

What was so special about it? Well, for one, it had a bit of a fairy tale quality to it that really appealed to me. The single mom who loves her kids but definitely feels that she’s nothing special caught the attention of a handsome, charming, world-famous actor? Wow! This story was packed with swoony
Sydney
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just the Way You Are, book one in the Pleasant Gap Romance series is a delightful and swoon worthy romance story that readers will thoroughly enjoy. This is a charming and funny story about an unlikely pair, a single mom, Eisley, from the Appalachian Mountains and British movie star, Wes Harrison. It is about how a friendship and a second chance at love takes place. It discusses having trust issues in romantic relationships, as well as how people make mistakes. This story is beautifully written ...more
Toni Shiloh
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review to come:

Just the Way You Are might be my favorite Pepper Basham book. Y’all this book has so much in it, my heart’s still sighing trying to put its awesomeness into words.

First, the lines! Ahhh! There are so many great quotable lines in here that I laughed out loud, cheesed from ear-to-ear, and teared up in that happily-ever-after glow. Just in case you need proof I’ll offer two: “post romantic betrayal disorder” and “post romantic kiss disorder...”

*I received a free copy from
Mikal Dawn
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a FUN, funny, steamy (in a very, very clean and sweet way!) read!! Wes and Eisley are, perhaps, my favorite couple from Pepper Basham.

Yeah, never mind "perhaps." They *are* my favorite Pepper Basham couple.

Basham exudes joy and depth in her main characters, resulting in the most romantic-comediest Britallachian story!! I absolutely loved it!
Rachel
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookworm-mama
Just the Way You Are is more than just a good book. It is a modern day fairytale filled with redemption and grace that will capture your heart from the first moment. Within the pages of this book you will find real people, with real life issues. This story will sweep you off your feet and drag you into a world that is every nerd girl's fantasy and you will soon find yourself consumed with researching history, "treasure" hunting, chocolate, British accents, Appalachia, AND.........Kisses.

Kav
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Warning: reading this book is likely to induce extreme chocolate cravings. Read at your own risk...and make sure to have a chocolate stash on hand! Because hero Wes is "Ghirardelli in human form." (p 12) Honestly, I don't know which had me swooning more - Wes or all the chocolate references. Either way, a fainting couch is a definite requirement to get a sensitive reader safely through to the end. :-)

And this is the kind of book you don't want to read because if you do it will be over. Yeah, I
Denise Hershberger
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. That is the only word that came to mind when I finished this book. It was so good and I fell in love with all of the characters and was truthfully sad it ended!

I love when authors take their characters and give them such profound development through the pages of the book that you truly feel like you traveled through life with them. I loved the growth I saw in both Wes and Eisley throughout these pages. I loved getting to know them as they learned to trust God and each other. Their constant
Winnie
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: default
Pepper Basham has become a must-read author for me. Not only can she write entrancing historical fiction, she also writes captivating contemporary fiction filled with humor, romance, and inspiration. Set against the dual backdrops of England and Appalachia, this book grabbed me from the start and wouldn’t let go until the last page. The main characters, Wes and Eisley, are realistically flawed, but endearing and totally relatable. I enjoyed their adventures and loved seeing their growth in faith ...more
Anne
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just the Way You Are, book one in the Pleasant Gap Romance series, is a contemporary romance that completely entranced me. I loved every minute in England, and the time in the Appalachia region of NC…oh, yeah. I could totally relate! It cracked me up at one point. But this book isn’t just good for a laugh. My heart was tumbled about and there may have been a bit of dampness on my cheeks because the faith theme is strong and touching. Basham’s writing talent is simply amazing! It’s been a while ...more
Madison
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Delightful and slightly crazy, Just The Way You Are is a beautiful romance about second chances, forgiveness, and rebuilding trust - both in others and in one's self. You've got to love characters who are so relatable, flawed, honest, and appealing. This book had a wonderful mix of British charm and tradition and Appalachian quirk and welcome. It's a great balance between heartrending mistakes, family, fairytale romance, and ancient mystery.

Eisley is travelling to England to research a story
Rachel
Can I just start out by ROFL! :) :) This story was so much fun! A complete leave-the-world-behind-and-live-in-a-fairy-tale story! With lots of laughter and swoon worthy moments as well as Pepper's typical meaningful life lessons, you'll want to grab a copy soon!

I loved how endearingly transparent and real Eisley was when faced with the grandeur of a wealthy Britain family and their grand estate. As awed and star-struck (twitterpated...lol) as she was when she met Wes, she didn't let it keep her
Susan Snodgrass
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What was there not to like about this book? Absolutely nothing. I loved it every minute.
Pepper Basham nails it in every aspect. The spiritual theme was wonderful and spoke to my heart in more ways than one. I struggle with fear myself and it's amazing how God can speak to my heart through a work of fiction. I thank Him for that.

The romance? Whew! She totally nailed that, too. The cast of characters were awesome and I certainly do look forward to hearing from them in future books. I hope to,
Amy
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just the Way You Are is the first installment from Pepper D Basham's fabulous new series, Pleasant Gap Romance. Single mom, Eisley Barrett, has had her share of heartache in the past. She travels to England, where she meets Wes Harrison. Wes, too, struggles with his past that leaves him with trust issues and bitterness. After spending time with Eisley, he sees who she is and finds himself falling for her.

Wow! This book has a perfect mix I love in a story: Steamy, but clean romance; Laugh out
Joleen
Eisley Barrett, from Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, was sent to England by her novelist uncle to research family history for his newest and final romance novel. Staying at the parents' home of a famous British movie star, Eisley, a woman terribly hurt by her ex-husband's infidelities, was not in the market for a handsome man of the world. She was there for a job and his sort of distraction was the last thing on her mind. And a smoldering distraction he was.

Wes Harrison was suspicious of
Chautona Havig
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What I thought of Just the Way You Are

Well, let’s talk opening scene. It took exactly one sentence for me to decide I liked the writing style. Half a dozen sentences proved that I’d love the main female character. The third line spoken—sold me. I had no doubt that not only would I love the book, I’d be giving it a 5-star review. Again, I was right. It feels so good to be right now and then.

I read on, all eagerness and with one eye squinted whenever a male appeared. Just keepin’ it real.

It
Rebecca
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Gracious sakes. I've squished a grandpa."

Eisley Barrett has made a grand entrance, tripping over her own two feet in London's Heathrow International Airport, managing to land in a very unladylike position on top of Daniel Harrison; ironically, her gracious host during a long awaited venture into family history. Accompanying Mr. Harrison is his well-known son, Wesley, an actor whose torrid personal life has been splashed across the front pages of nearly every tabloid known to man, but
Barbara
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On a scale of cotton candy to Brussels sprouts, Just The Way You Are by Pepper D. Basham is Lindt Lindor Truffles (my fave is dark chocolate). Chocolate crunch on the outside and creamy goodness in the center, but wait, it's in book form!

[I received this book for free. My opinions are my own.]

Eisley, the heroine of Britallachia (Britain and Appalachian Mountains) stumbles right into the arms of a British grandpa. Romantic, right? Did I mention he's a certified matchmaker? Enter the handsome
Rachael
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'll be the first to admit, I'm not drawn to contemporary reads;but this read has all the necessary ingredients, and just the right mix, to make a terrific novel.

Broken lives and hearts, God's amazing grace, His medicine of laughter, and a writer who puts it all together to produce a novel that I've now read twice! This book has just the right mix of fun, love, laughter and faith. It has truly laugh out loud scenes, wonderful dialogue, lovable characters ( including some awesome kids), and a
Andrea
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contemporary Christian Fiction Readers and lovers of Romantic Comedy
Recommended to Andrea by: Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Shelves: re-read
First, let me say this review is based on reading the book twice. The first time I read it, there were many life interruptions and I had to keep putting the book down and picking it up again. So, I sat down and read the entire book again June 15th and absolutely LOVED it!
My, my, my! Definitely, a must read book! Comedy from the beginning, but I loved how the author used the mistakes in the characters pasts to show how they were made new with God's forgiveness. To show such personal growth in
Melony
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been hearing some buzz in the book world about Pepper Basham's upcoming release, mumblings about swoony heroes and closets and thought, "What are they on about? I will have to investigate further and find out if this book is as good as they say it is?"

The cover is beautiful and I could not wait to read it! Good thing I had cleared my schedule because I may, or may not, have been up until 2 am. reading about Wes and Eisley.

Yes, there are swoony heros, cute heroines and funny scenes that
Paula Shreckhise
Just The Way You Are by Pepper Basham is a laugh out loud novel that has a solid Christian message.
The protagonists both had to learn to trust God and others again.

Eisley is a divorced mother of three in Appalachia. Wes is a British movie star who has recently become a Christian. Eisley travels to England to research a distant ancestor on behalf of her ailing uncle.
Sparks fly and the banter is witty in this contemporary rom-com with a message of true repentance and forgiveness. Pepper Basham
Faye
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eisley Barrett is a single mother of three, who goes to England to help her dying uncle do research for his novel. She is staying with the kindly Harrisons, who's son so happens to be Christopher Wesley Harrison the swoon-worthy star of the small screen, who is known for playing period drama heroes.

Wes is an actor who has spent the last year of his life re-evaluating and prioritizing, having given his life to Christ and leaving his playboy ways behind.

Wes's parents are just adorable, still crazy
Lynda Edwards
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
I am not a huge contemporary romance reader—I much prefer historical novels. But I have read Pepper Basham’s work before, starting with her historical Penned in Time series, and I was intrigued to see how her voice transferred to a different genre. While a bit different in that there is more humor in this novel, her storytelling is very much the same and the romance between a handsome British actor and a somewhat clumsy Appalachian single mother sparkles as brightly as in her historical books.

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• All Made Up
  • Sweet on You (A Bradford Sisters Romance, #3)
  • Then There Was You
  • Now and Then and Always (Maple Valley #1)
  • Royally Yours
  • Literarily For Keeps  (Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection #2)
  • Like a Winter Snow (Port Willis)
  • Brunch at Bittersweet Café (The Saturday Night Supper Club #2)
  • Bookishly Ever After (Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection #1)
  • Hometown Girl
  • Knox (The Montana Marshalls, #1)
  • Novelly Upon a Time (Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection #3)
  • Ford (The Montana Marshalls, #3)
  • The Secret Life of Sarah Hollenbeck
  • One Enchanted Noël (Enchanted Christmas Collection #3)
  • Wyatt (The Montana Marshalls, #4)
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • Diamond in the Rough (American Heiresses, #2)
Pepper D Basham has been telling tales ever since she was a little girl. When her grandmother called her a “writer” at the age of ten, Pepper took it as gospel and has enjoyed various types of writing styles ever since. A native of the Blue Ridge Mountains, mom of five, speech-language pathologist, and lover of chocolate, Pepper enjoys sprinkling her native Appalachian culture into her fiction ...more

Pleasant Gap Romance (2 books)
  • When You Look at Me (Pleasant Gap Romance #2)
“God restores lost things, you know.” 1 likes