Start by marking “Spine Chillers: Hair-Raising Tales Book One” as Want to Read:
Spine Chillers: Hair-Raising Tales Book One

Spine Chillers: Hair-Raising Tales Book One

The town of Saltlick Bluff is famous for an urban legend. Does the spirit of a young girl wait on a misty cliff-hugging highway for her ride to the prom?

In the house on Beech Street a terrible tragedy occurred. Now neighbors won’t look at the place as they pass. Those who live nearby draw their blinds and shutter their windows after dark. What are they afraid of?

Hale
Published October 24th 2016 by Glass Apple Press

To ask other readers questions about Spine Chillers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spine Chillers

Start your review of Spine Chillers: Hair-Raising Tales Book One
McCaid Paul
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scary-stories
Sigh.
I was really expecting to enjoy this, but unfortunately I was very disappointed. This was in real need for an editor, as it had numerous grammar mistakes throughout. Many of the stories also felt rushed and very cheesy. Some of the stories had a great premise, but failed at sending a "chill up my spine" as the synopsis suggested.
If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be Seaworthy or Prom Date, as they have more world building than the others, and a better plot.
I was expecting to
A Wondrous Bookshelf
Spine Chillers is a collection of short scary stories geared toward middle-grade/YA readers. Reminiscent of scary stories you would tell in a camp fire I found this book to be very entertaining. Some stories were better written than others, but overall it didn’t disappoint.
Divya Mahajan
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection of scary stories that are make you pause before going on a lonely path or a starnge supposedly haunted house or simply go out in the dark.
The first story is House on Beech Street , where a couple of teenagers decide to visit a supposedly haunted house before anyone else and what they bring back
The Night Crawler and sea worthy were ok
The 3rd story Hale Hollow woods was again very good with the spooky atmosphere, the dark woods, the lonely house and lights coming on and off
Another
Dee ~ Proudest Nanna Of Little  Millie ~
I have always been a lover of a good old fashioned ghost story, and this first book, of a series of 'ghostly' stories, really hit the spot.
Each individual tale, gave its own brand of scariness, a very well thought out story, and an ending, which left you guessing, or very surprised, which I absolutely enjoyed.
The stories were short, but adequate in length, and got their message through, which definitely satisfied me.
I would recommend this first book to all readers, and would love to read the
Al
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Spine Chillers was definitely more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be. I love a good blend of paranormal and horror and Pearce doesn't disappoint when it comes to spooking her readers. Albeit this book is targeted at young readers, it's one that can be enjoyed by the whole family - not too scary for the young and not too cheesy for the old. Though there were some nice twists and turns in some of the stories, I was able to forsee the ending for a few of them, which hindered the element ...more
Tonya (Rustic Book Reviews)
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to BookSirens and the publisher - I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

This story is a collection of short stories and as normal I did have a few that I really enjoyed but I had some that were okay. If you like Goosebumps this I think this is a collection of stories you will like.

I did enjoy the first story, "The house of Beech Street" - Becareful where you visit because you never know what you are going to bring home with you.

I also
Kim
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
When I was in junior high/middle school I enjoyed reading scary stories, and Spine Chillers would have appealed to me. I will, therefore, review this from that viewpoint.
The House on Beach Street is an okay story, but feels like something I've read before. The slight twist at the end is the best part.
Night Crawler is the scariest of all the stories. There is some nice suspense and action.
Hale Hallow Woods had no real surprises, and the scary parts weren't really all that scary.
Seaworthy is about
Elise R
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I grew up reading Scary Stories for Sleepovers, so I was familiar with the author's style. I love how she is willing to put the kids in the story in danger, with her stories there's really no guarantee that everything will turn out well. The first and last stories in the book (The House on Beech Street and Prom Date) were my favorites. My biggest critique is that I wish the stories were longer - I wish there was just a little more space for character development and ...more
Dawn
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book after receiving a free copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

I enjoyed these short stories and wish it had been around when my boys were young. They would have enjoyed them too. Like the title says, they're hair-raising tales rather than out and out horror. The stories are well written and easy to follow, definitely kid friendly.

From the little girl who can heal to the boy who is haunting a house, the stories are a little scary, a little
Ruby
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun, spooky short stories, perfect for reading around a campfire. I enjoyed the theatrical elements, Q.L. Pierce did a wonderful job with a few jump scares - which are very hard to write!

There are a few grammatical errors, but other than that, I had a great time reading them with a friend!

**I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily**
Bammatron
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
These stories are aimed for young readers, but even in my 30s I enjoyed them. The author touches on all aspects of spooky and gets the point across without added fluff. I liked some stories over others in this book, but overall these short stories are entertaining, fun, and campy. I received this copy in advance for free and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Rachel Benham
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great collection of short horror stories. I really enjoyed the first one, The House on Beech Street and Prom Date. The stories are not extremely long, or drawn out. Some of the endings were not as full filling as others but all in all great read.

Sharon
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful collection of short stories, each one is completely different to the others. The stories have a great twist at the end that I wasn't expecting. Each story is well written and held my interest. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Kristine Hall
HALL WAYS REVIEW: Author Q.L. Pearce has written lots of books, but Spine Chillers: Hair Raising Tales, Book One, is my first -- but it won't be my last! These seven tales, all contemporary in realistic settings, are satisfyingly spooky with excellent and unexpected twists. And what a fabulous, eerie cover!

Each of the stories has a unique and distinct storyline and its own brand of creepiness. Readers will encounter plenty of paranormal activity but also some of the unseemlier aspects of human
Donna
I’m always up for scary stories and SPINE CHILLERS sounded interesting enough. And with my digital copy coming in at just 71 pages it was going to be a super short read regardless.

Overall this is definitely a middle grade read. My fifth and sixth grade self would have loved this book and probably would have kept it with my collection of scary story books in my desk at school.

In the vein of GOOSEBUMPS but less cheesy, SPINE CHILLERS is to the point and each story had its own level of creep. One
Chantelle Atkins
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fans of the Goosebumps books will love this collection of sinister and perfectly constructed short stories. Each one is guaranteed to offer the reader a dark and bumpy ride into the unknown, and leave you with your jaw hanging open. I enjoyed all of these stories, but got a particular kick out of Hale Hallow Woods, a tale of ghostly revenge, Seaworthy, a creepy pirate themed adventure, and my firm favourite, The Healer. The twist in The Healer is one I did not see coming and have been unable to ...more
Sandra Lopez
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Two boys take a tour of a haunted house on Beech Street unprepared for what they were about to see.

A wild night in a safari park turns sinister with a lizard man on the prowl.

A ghost that seeks revenge for old wounds.

These stories were well-written and full of irony. Classified as “hare-raising tales,” they certainly give you a spook. They’re not scary, but they’re spine chillers.

Stories combine horror and adventure. A great read!
Donna Compositor
Jan 08, 2017
Gina Hott
Jan 22, 2017
Mel
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of Spine Chillers in exchange for an honest review.

I had never read anything by Q.L. Pearce before, but after reading Spine Chillers I will definitely be reading more! Every short story was so well written with individual characters, settings and atmospheres that were different to the story before and after. This was a perfect way of the author showing they are able to write about a variety of chilling settings and characters from both male and female perspectives – which
BAM! Literature

• Manga Classics: The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe
  • Please Don't Grab My P#$$y
  • Fuck This Shit
  • Max and Menna
  • David Bowie (Little People, BIG DREAMS)
  • Three Hots and a Cot: Stories of Courage from People Struggling with Homelessness, Addiction, and AIDS
  • Death in Kew Gardens (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #3)
  • All Your Fault
  • 11 Missed Calls
Best selling author and expert on all things that go bump in the night, Q. L. Pearce began her career as a writer and editor in 1985 with Lowell House / Roxbury Press in Los Angeles. She has since written more than one hundred and twenty books for children, including eight collections of scary stories for middle grade and film tie-in books for the Fox animated film Titan AE and the Universal ...more