Start by marking “No Holly for Christmas (A Magic City Duo #2)” as Want to Read:
No Holly for Christmas (A Magic City Duo #2)

No Holly for Christmas (A Magic City Duo #2)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
A story about love and suspense and how fate makes for a precarious travel partner.

After being jilted not once, but twice by the only woman he’s ever truly loved, Brian McAlister has all but given up on relationships. Then, on special assignment for the DA's office, he steps into the middle of a politically sensitive murder case where he crosses paths with a beautiful ex-
Paperback, 2, 472 pages
Published November 15th 2016 (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about No Holly for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Holly for Christmas

Katie W
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Holly is now a single mom, trying to make ends meet, while sacrificing her rich lifestyle. Her estranged sister is working on a case with Brian, who is on a special assignment for the DA. As their paths cross, unmistakable sparks fly, while danger, romance, and thrilling fear abound. Holly is pretty likable, although she can be uptight and contradictory. Brian is a horn-dog, but at the same time, a little lovable; maybe a little rough around the edges.

My likes: I enjoyed the working aspects of t
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First I would like to give a HUGE thank you to V Book Tours for allowing me to be a part of this tour. I love Christmas time and I love Christmas stories even more. This story has so much more than a Christmas theme it has action and suspense. The author has done an excellent job telling this story. The story flows smoothly and has everything a suspense needs and wants.

Brian just wants to get over the woman he loved and the mistakes he has made in his job. Brian is given a second chance to make
Alice Gold
Romantic Mystery. I do believe this is the first time I have ventured into this genre. Perhaps it is the first time I have heard of this genre. Would that make me seem illiterate if I admit it? While on a date with my hubby a few weeks back I told him how much I enjoyed this romantic mystery. He turned to me perplexed and made me laugh when he asked, "is that really a genre, romantic mystery?" Nothing like a good man to make you feel smarter than you are.

Anyhow,"No Holly for Christmas" was a gre
Melanie
Holly is a former socialite who is trying to start a new life for herself and her two girls when her husband died a year ago. She's not upset over his death and we eventually learn why. Brian is a defense attorney working a special case for the DA's office when he meets Holly. He's still hung up on a former girlfriend so he's not looking for a relationship but Holly quickly gets under his skin.

This is one of those books that I'm mixed about. What I liked about it is that Brian and Holly are two
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Holly is just the best name. Seriously. It is. It's not common and it's pretty. Of course, I'm partial to it and a little bit biased and so love stories where the heroine is named Holly.

This is not a typical Christmas story. It's much grittier, with the murder and suspense. I never really did connect to any of the characters and found little depth to any of them. Holly was too much the superficial socialite, even with her moments of compassion. Her "I may be suddenly poor but I'm still better t
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This book had a very interesting plot. Holly is a widowed mental-health counselor working in a hospital. She helps patients with their emotional needs before or after treatment. She treats a patient who had a gun shot wound and is brought into a mystery full of corruption and murder.

I really liked the characters of Holly and Brian. They are the romantic interest in the story. Both suffer from situations that make it hard for them to love and trust another. Holly also comes with two daughters, so
NaDell
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't read the previous book, but this book jumped right into the action of how to keep Holly and her kids safe from the danger looming throughout the story. The cover of the book is more suggestive than the book actually is, which for me, is a huge plus! The book doesn't focus a lot on Christmas itself either, but is more a play on words, I think.
Well written characters, plot, and continuing storyline.

I received a free ebook for an honest review.
Sandra Stiles
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, romance, suspense
I don’t like mushy-gushy romance. This book is anything but that. I will always read suspense or thrillers with romance thrown in. This was my first opportunity to read a book by Julie N. Ford. However, it will definitely not be my last time. Julie has created a story that keeps the reader on the edge of their seat. The characters are very believable. Reading this book was like sitting and watching a movie where you see the villain sneaking up on the unsuspecting victim and you want to shout at ...more
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
This book starts out pretty unassuming. It had enough action to keep me interested, but not enough for me to feel like I just had to read it. That is, until I was about halfway through.

Brian gets thrown into a case that his father was handling as a D.A. when his father has to undergo heart surgery. Brian hates the D.A.'s office and all that it represents, so he goes into it with a closed mind. On his first day on the job he meets Holly, who happens to be the older sister of his assistant D.A. a
Lynnea
Ok,.... This is a sequel book about a supporting character from 'The Woman he Married'. I didn't read book two and still understood everything that happened so it reads great as a stand alone novel.

I really grew to love the characters. At first Holly was someone that I thought I was going to hate. She was a socialite before her husband died last year and she seemed really obsessed with the clothes that she wore and her manners to appear as the perfect southern belle. As I read more and got to se
Kari
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, ipad
No Holly For Christmas is the latest offering by Julie N. Ford. It involves defense attorney, Brian McAlister, who was featured in an earlier book, The Woman He Married. While I hadn't read that book, I never felt like I was out of the loop. Ms. Ford did a great job of getting you up to speed on the Brian's background. No Holly for Christmas works well as a stand alone book. No Holly For Christmas is a romantic suspense. I would say that there is probably more romance than suspense, since you kn ...more
Susan K
Romance, clean
While this was a clean read, it did push on suggestivity with what I consider clean, steamy, and some language. That being said, this was a story about two people falling into each other unexpected, but still romantic and with some suspense. Brian's relationship with Holly comes together as a result of some criminal activity. Holly and her daughters are threatened. The criminal element is probably the weakest part of this novel, but the suspense, and the twists and turns with Holly
Tiffany
What a cute, fun read. It had me giggling and crying and turning the pages to see where the story was going. It had all of the perfect elements of a story between mystery, love, and intrigue.

The story is about a lawyer, Brian McAlister, who is a three time loser in love and social worker, Holly Winters, who had been hurt by her belief in love. Brian, agreed to work on a case for his dad that had had a heart attack. During the case he meets Holly Winters who helps him find a witness that will he
Katy
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from a giveaway on Goodreads. This is a great story, whether its for Christmas or not. Its a light read with some mystery. Its a good book to settle down with. I am enjoying reading it so far and can't wait to read the ending.

Great book! Its very suspense filled with some romance. A great Christmas present for yourself or others.
Lucinda
CNF.
E.
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it

“No Holly for Christmas” by Julie N. Ford is the second story in the contemporary romantic suspense series, ‘A Magic City Duo.’ This tale centers around defense attorney Brian McAlister who is tapped to stand in for his father as District Attorney of the county, despite their antipathy for one another. Complicating the situation even more is the involvement of ex-socialite Holly Cavanaugh Winter, the widowed sister of his Deputy DA, who becomes central to their case. Brian and Holly ar
ines M
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is not my first experience with Julie N. Ford's writing. It's the third book I read from this author, actually. And she keeps getting better in every one.
The Woman He Married, a story I decidedly loved because even if I didn't find myself happy with some of Josie's decisions along the way; was really good in the end. It was wrapped up in that fantastic way that, once I found out No Holly for Christmas was available, I didn't hesitate and started reading it right away.
Holly's character is ve
Ally Swanson
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is book two of in the Magic City Duo Book Series. Although, I hadn’t read the first book, I had no trouble following or understanding this book as it can be easily read as a standalone.

I really like the premise of this story and was very excited to read it! I found this book to be entertaining and intriguing for the most part. There were a few sections that seemed a bit slow paced and definitely hindered the captivation of the story.

I loved that there was a love-story component and als
Paula Quinene
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
No Holly for Christmas is a novel that has romantic and suspense elements. I enjoyed the story, but there is room for improvement. The editing could have been tighter by showing instead of by overusing adjectives and adverbs. The romance felt a little rushed with Brian calling Holly "Baby" early in their relationship. His feelings toward her in the beginning did not match this particular term of endearment thus throwing me off for the remainder of the tale.

Brian, though not an emotionally or men
Pernette
I liked Julie N. Ford's No Holly For Christmas. When a hospital social worker gets pulled into a criminal investigation it becomes more than her job but also life threatening. Brian McAlister, a defense attorney helps out the District Attorney's office on a case. He meets Holly Winter and they both feel an instant chemistry. This book was suspenseful and I was fearful for Holly. Good thriller.
Gwen
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Okay read to pass time, but not earth shaking. Didn't really have much to do with Christmas either.

I received this book free from Goodreads First Reads.
Andrey
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I reached the last pages of Julie Ford’s No Holly on Christmas, I refused all previous versions of my review for this story. It became clear to me that it didn’t matter what genre it belonged to. I found myself thinking this Julie Ford’s book could be compared with Anne Murray’s performance the song Silent Night, Holy Night. Both were nice.
“Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round you Virgin Mother and Child
Holy infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly piece
Sleep in heavenl
Linda
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
From reading the title, I was expecting a great Christmas romance with a little action on the side. Besides the story happening in December, there isn't much that is Christmasy in this one. I was expecting a little more holiday "magic". The story was good, but seemed to drag out at times. There were a few great suspenseful parts. Also, not as clean as I would like.
Julie
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is not your typical Christmas story. Nor is it your typical romance novel. . At first I felt like I was reading a typical "socialite meets Mayberry" type novel, but this isn't that book either. I enjoy a good romantic suspense, and this was a fun book for me to read. It has a lot of different elements that combine to make a story that kept me reading and neglecting my home for a full day.

Holly Winter, Southern socialite with the "perfect" life, has found herself widowed with two daughters t
MJSH
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was my introduction to the author's writing. I have been forewarned that the book is not a clean romance. This book contains swearing, vulgar dialogue, and a lot of sexual innuendos/references and steamy scenes. There is mention of church throughout the book but this is definitely not a Christian fiction.

That being said, the writing was excellent. It was intense in the suspense portions of the book, tender and poignant in the romance portions of the book, and extremely funny (doubled
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Review coming
Stephanie
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ibooks
“He knew her type, soft and alluring on the outside, prickly and unfeeling on the inside. She deserved a shallow, pretentious man like that Doctor What’s-his-name—someone who didn’t give a damn that her stone-cold heart pumped vinegar instead of blood because the exquisiteness on the surface was all that mattered.”

I was so excited to finally pick up the sequel to The Woman He Married - it was good to check in with Josie, but it was sad to see that things haven’t really changed for her.

I’m so ha
Brandy
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No Holly for Christmas (A Magic City Duo Book 2)
By Julie N. Ford

This was so much more than a holiday read! Julie N. Ford is a master storyteller that folds twists, turns, and the ever loved "happy ever after!" In this suspenseful drama a love story develops that is both clenching and endearing.

Holly resented being shoved into middle class, Walmart-shopping, non-designer label wearing, average blue collar job holding citizens after her shoddy husband died and left her and her girls with "absolut
Jaime
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Holly for Christmas is the follow-up to Ford’s The Woman He Married, which I reviewed in April. Brian, who plays the role of the spoiler in the first book, is our leading man in this one. Despite being a well-known defense attorney, he’s been tapped for a special assignment in the DA’s office after his father’s illness. The last thing he expects is to find himself attracted to his partner’s social worker sister.

Holly is having a rough go at it. Her husband’s death has meant that she has to go
Marissa
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Castle
Recommended to Marissa by: Inspired Kathy
In No Holly for Christmas, Brian McAlister is struggling to find his way in life, now that his heart is truly broken over Josie's rejection. So he agrees to take on a new case (he's a lawyer) and buries himself in his work. Little does he know that this case will truly change his life.

Holly Cavanaugh Winter is recently widowed and now striving to provide for her girls through her job as a social worker. While she enjoys her work, the life it is providing is not that life she is used to. It is we
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combine My Books 2 187 Nov 17, 2016 07:19PM
Goodreads Librari...: Merge Two Editions 2 10 Nov 14, 2016 11:31AM
A graduate from San Diego State University with a BA in Political Science, Julie N. Ford also earned a Masters in Social Work from the University of Alabama, which has only made her better able to recognize the unhealthy, codependent relationship she has with writing. Professionally, she has worked in teaching and as a marriage and family counselor. She is the author of six women’s fiction novels, ...more
More about Julie N. Ford

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Scandalous Liaisons
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Story of O
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Unleashed (Ross Siblings #1)
    $3.99 $0.00
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings Book 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be