Start by marking “Fifteen Words” as Want to Read:
Fifteen Words

Fifteen Words

Two young doctors form a profound and loving bond in Nazi Germany; a bond that will stretch them to the very limits of human endurance. Catholic Max - whose religious and moral beliefs are in conflict, has been been conscripted to join the war effort as a medic, despite his hatred of Hitler's regime. His beloved Erika, a privileged young woman, is herself a product of the ...more
Published November 22nd 2016 by Clink Street Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Fifteen Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fifteen Words

Boundless Book Reviews
The first word that came to my mind when starting this book was captivating. The story, the characters, the history...it was all very captivating and the reader will not want to put the book down.

Max and Erika are separated by war and religion in Germany during the 1940's. Together, despite their differences, they marry and have a young daughter. Max is faced with horrors unseen when he is taken captive, while fighting in a military he doesn’t agree with. Erika is lost in a world of war trying t
Zoe
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful, poignant, and incredibly moving!

This is an extremely compelling story that allows us a rare opportunity to see the war from two different German perspectives and reminds us of the emotional, psychological and physical horrors seen and endured during times of conflict and their long-lasting effects on not only the soldiers themselves, but also the families they leave behind.

The story is set in both Germany and Siberia, Russia, and is told from two points of view; Max, a German doctor,
SerialReader
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monika Jephcott Thomas -with extreme sensitivity- delivers a beautiful story, an intimate portrayal of the amazing power of love and perseverance. Fifteen Words opens your heart, awakens your mind, and touches your soul; a splendid book -masterfully written- that celebrates love over the horrors of war. Because -in the end- it's always been and always will be Love to save us.

Read more on The Serial Reader Blog
Karen Cole
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read The Watcher, the sequel to Fifteen Words in October and really enjoyed it so I was looking forward to reading Monika Jephcott Thomas' debut novel. The story starts with the couple already apart - Max is serving as a doctor in the German army, the war is almost over and the Soviet Army is on the verge of seizing the town of Breslau. Meanwhile, Erika is six months pregnant and is moving in with her in-laws but first she faces a gruelling and dangerous journey across the country. The narrati ...more
Coral Lynch
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifteen Words really really moved me. A great debut novel!

I enjoyed this book. Probably more than I thought I would, actually.

It was so refreshing to read a WW2 novel from the German perspective and that of civilians too. Germany is always associated with the Nazis, and I think people forget that real people, with real lives went through the war in Germany as well.

Max and Erika’s relationship was really moving. Knowing that it was all based on real events did make it a very emotional read, but s
David Baird
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The last bit of the synopsis of this book is what really hooked me in. –

“Fifteen Words is a vivid and intimate portrayal of human love and perseverance, one which illuminates the German experience of the war, which has often been overshadowed by history.”

I think like many when I think of war I always associate Germany is being the bad guys.. that’s how we are taught in school. You just get clean cut facts but you don’t see the real people involved.

What I really liked about this book was how easy
Sandra Olshaski
This is a brooding, dark novel that produced a sense of foreboding in me from the first few words. It is based on real events, experienced by the author's parents. It is a compelling, even raw account of life in Germany during the Second World War, reflecting the lives of ordinary Germans, some pro-Nazi (Erika) and others trying to maintain their religious faith (Max). And we see life from the perspective of Germans who we normally view as "the bad guys."

There are enough German words in the nove
Debra Schoenberger
A riveting and raw account of life during WWII when Germany was on the verge of losing the war. We see how, despite coming from very different backgrounds, Erika and Max choose to make a life together. Both are doctors.

While Erika remains behind, Max goes is conscripted to work for the Nazis as a doctor. He detests Nazi ideology but is determined to help as many of the wounded as he can. A timid man by nature, an early boyhood experience helping his aunt rescue the wounded as a result of a bomb
Kirsty McGhie
This was a really interesting book. It had similar experiences in into Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys, being put in POW camps by Russians for long periods of time. However this is a different novel, it follows Erika as well who remains in Germany and it was good to read about someone remaining in Germany and seeing what happened when the Americans took control of it.

Throughout the book there is the recurring theme of "Fifteen words" and how important a simple 15 words are which I thought
Coco