Start by marking “The Evaporation of Sofi Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Evaporation of Sofi Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, #1)

The Evaporation of Sofi Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow #1)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  502 Ratings  ·  245 Reviews
Published June 6th 2017 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, please sign up.
Mary Weber Hi Aaron! The book's not received a Lexile number yet, but I'll reply back here as soon as it does. Thanks for asking. :)
Christi-Anne Sofi: techy, flirt, rejected daughter
Shilo: Sofi's brother, young candidate in the arena, missing
Miguel: playboy, flirt, ambassador (secret hero).
…more
Sofi: techy, flirt, rejected daughter
Shilo: Sofi's brother, young candidate in the arena, missing
Miguel: playboy, flirt, ambassador (secret hero).
Claudius: wearer of stylish (*coughs* pathetic) suits, friend and fellow ambassador of Miguel
Heller: fellow techy, Sofi's friend
Danya: alien, ambassador, friend of Miguel
Alis: ambassador and supposed friend of Miguel

Vic: artificial intelligence, batter of one eye
And there's a slew of other ambassadors, members of a council, aliens and mentions of techies... but the above-mentioned pop-up the most.(less)

Hannah
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, sci-fi, young-adult
This book somehow felt like two books - one I really enjoyed and one I nearly didn't finish reading; one with a genuinely interesting world created and one that was in places highly derivative; one with a strong focus on ties between siblings and one where the love story felt weirdly central but still tacked on - as such it is surprisingly difficult for me to write a coherent review.

The Evaporation of Sofi Snow is set in a unspecified future where after devastating world wars huge corporations r
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
See this review and more like it on www.Bookbastion.net!

I admire Mary Weber for her creativity and all she set out to do with the story here, but unfortunately a messy execution meant that I was lost for a majority of it.

The setting and the way it factors into the plot is certainly ambitious. A futuristic Earth-society, in which government control has broken down and been assimilated by 30 separate corporations is both a disturbing and intriguing idea. Also, it's one I could totally see happeni
Kaylin (The Hiatus Queen)
DNF @20%

I've started this multiple times since receiving it, only to lose interest very quickly and move on to something else. This time I was pushing through when I realized not only did I have no idea what was happening-- but that I didn't care.

I was completely lost and confused, but I didn't like any of the characters or the world or ANYTHING enough to figure it out.

I received an ARC of this through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you to the publisher/author for the oppor
Mary Weber
Mar 08, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

Since some have asked...
Topics this book explores beneath the surface (& if you know me you won't be surprised) - human trafficking, politics & elitism, strong women, identity, sibling relationships, parent/child relationships, how our words & actions impact others, the role the past plays in a person's choices, how we retain our humanity.
Ben Alderson
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed Mary Webers writing before, especially with her previous series. So i was really excited to be sent this.
I will review in my up and coming video!

Super unique, witty, fast paced and romantic!
Suzanne
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an interesting sci-fi read with creepy undertones. The ending was a really twist that sets up the reader for interest in the second book for sure. I haven't read many books with an aspect if gaming and virtual reality so that was a breath of fresh air. Overall, some very intriguing aspects to this plot and a great concept.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
THE ICE-PLANET ARRIVED IN THE DUSKY HEAT OF SUMMER TWI-light during Earth's Fourth World War

This race of aliens called, the Delonese have come to Earth and supposedly made everything better, but as you can figure, there seems to be something very messed up about what these aliens are doing.

Sofi and her brother Shilo are involved in the Fantasy Fighting Games. This is what I thought the book was going to be about, all kinds of gaming and cool stuff. Yes, there are the games but there are no co
Dannii Elle
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the author, Mary Webber, and the publisher, Thomas Nelson, for this opportunity.

This is a bleak insight into the possible future of our world. Ravaged by war, Earth needed the help of an alien species to unite its people. Now human life is lived under the shadow of their saviours.

The population is split into thirty corporations and members of each are given a chance at fame and freedom in their entry of the annual Fant
Crazy4Books
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
The gaming made this book a must read for me, especially since Ive been loving scifi lately. It did take me a bit to get into since we were kind of just thrown into the story, but once I got a feel for the world and the characters the mystery behind the kidnapping and the blackmailing was thrilling. I had a bunch of theories that I couldn't wait to find out if they were true. The concept was fascinating but the world building was a little vague at times. I felt like I didnt get a decent grasp on ...more
Fafa's Book Corner
DNF

Mini review:

I received this E-ARC via Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. When I heard about this book I was excited to read it! Before I started to read it I went to reread the synopsis and realized that this book may not be for me. After reading The Hunger Games I haven't wanted to read about any sort of death related games, which the MC's brother takes part in. Now when I actually started to read it I was bored and was not looking forward to reading about these g
Alyssa
About the Book

Ever since the Delonese ice-planet arrived eleven years ago, Sofi's dreams have been vivid. Alien. In a system where Earth's corporations rule in place of governments and the humanoid race orbiting the moon are allies, her only constant has been her younger brother, Shilo. As an online gamer, Sofi battles behind the scenes of Earth's Fantasy Fighting arena where Shilo is forced to compete in a mix of real and virtual blood sport. But when a bomb takes out a quarter of the arena, So
Wendy Higgins
YA (definitely suitable for upper MG/lower YA readers, too)
Science Fiction
Futuristic
Gamer Girl MC
Dashing (seemingly Playboy) love interest
Intergalactic politics
Family complications (LOVED the sibling relationship)
Loyalty and betrayal
Secrets and twists

This one has it all. Mary Weber rocks! <3
Lauren
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pub-harper
This is a fast book set in a futuristic world ruled by corporations and filled with gamers, gadgets and aliens. The excitement and twists kept coming, and I couldn't stop reading once I started! But under the surface of this high action story are layers and themes of loss and family bonds and identity, as well as what it means to be human, value life and have true relationships, all of which turned up the emotional intensity. I'm dying for the next one now.

Full review to come <3
Katie Grace
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, sci-fi
This was such a unique book! I haven't read much in the virtual reality genre, but I'm definitely interested in reading more, now. I just didn't feel overly connected to the plot or the characters, which prevented me from becoming really immersed in the story. Still worthwhile, though. :D
Zac
Sep 16, 2015 marked it as to-read
Any book written by Mary Weber is a book that I will read.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I normally am not one that is huge on sci fi, in any sub genre, but when I saw that Weber had a new book out, sci fi or not, I knew I had to read it.

I'm so very glad that I did because once again Weber shows us that the woman can write. She can create worlds whether, fantasy or science fiction, and make them completely believable. With characters that are lovable every bit as they are determined, single minded and fierce in doing what needs to be done, darn the consequences.

This was a fun read a
Madelyn
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I'M SO FREAKING CONFUSED.
Aneta Bak
May 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, netgalley
I loved Mary's Storm Siren trilogy, so I was expecting to love this one as well. I honestly had to push myself to get through it, it was so hard. I was bored, I didn't like the characters and the plot was extremely predictable.

During World War IV, a planet of aliens arrived beside Earth and brought the War to a stop. Now, the world is split into 30 Corporations, where one team from each corporation must battle in Earth's Fantasy Fighting arena, the winners (and those deemed worthy enough) will
Emileigh Latham
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOSH!

ASDFGHJKL!!!

I CAN'T EVEN!!!

HOW DO I WORD!!!

THIS BOOK IS SO AWESOME!!!

AND THAT ENDING!!!

ASDFGHJKL!!!!

CAN'T WAIT FOR BOOK 2!
Alexis  (TheSlothReader)
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-books
I found both the plot and the characters in this book to be massively underwhelming and cliched. The main character is every single overused hacker-character trope that we've seen before. I also found the love interest being of latino origins to not feel very genuine. The plot took over half of the book before it got interesting and I found the ending to not be worth the trouble it took to get there. Overall I found this book incredibly weak.

I received an ARC of this from NetGalley in exchange f
Amy
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Evaporation of Sofi Snow was a strange book, but in a good way. Very different from anything I’ve ever read. Author Weber keeps you guessing throughout the entire story. The world building was sublime. I felt like I’d lived in this world my whole life by the time I finished the book. And the plot was complex and filled with many twists and turns.

The characters were also very enjoyable. Sofi is a snarky, independent computer genius, who is determined to always get her way. But underneath all
Kat Heckenbach
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. The voice, the characters, the aliens. Sorry, it's been a bit since I've written a review of anything, and I'm feeling out of practice, so I'm just going to leave it at: this was one of those books I couldn't put down when I had it in my hands, and felt drawn to it when I didn't have it in my hands. Also, if you loved the Lunar Chronicles, I'm willing to bet all kinds of money you'll enjoy this. My only disappointment: the sequel isn't due out for months!
Jaime Arkin
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Evaporation of Sofi Snow is set in the future. Earth is no longer ruled by a government, instead there are a system of corporations that are aligned with the Delonese… the inhabitants of the ice-planet that arrived eleven years ago. Sofi has had only her brother, Shilo, to count on since the death of her father… with her mother more interested in Corp 30 she has made sure that she’s the one person he can count on.

As part of a team representing Corp 30 in the Fantasy Fighting Arena Sofi is a
Hann Remraf
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
what a horrible cliff hanger ending o.o

(review to come when published)
Emilie Hendryx
What would you do if the most important person in your life was snatched away? Sofi Snow finds out in Mary Weber's thrilling new Sci-Fi novel, The Evaporation of Sofi Snow.

Coming on the heels of her powerful trilogy (Storm Siren, Siren's Fury, Siren's Song) I wasn't sure what to expect. I could tell that it was science fiction--something I was hugely excited about--and that was about it. I dove headfirst into Sofi's gaming and hacking world and promptly found myself lost in the thrill of what wo
Kara Swanson
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this incredible story!

Full review to come when I finish collecting my thoughts--but suffice it to say that this is a gorgeously-written masterpiece filled with colorful characters that can't help but nestle their way deep into your heart, a fast paced won't-let-you-go plot, and a richly-developed story world. This incredible read that will stay with you long after you turn the final page.

Also--SERIOUSLY MARY?! I love you but...WHY THE CLIFFHANGERS. My heart. It's too much ;)

*immedi
Galaxy Adventurer
So first off I would like to say that I kind of put off reading this book for a while because I knew Mary Weber likes to end her books with cliffhangers(*cough* Storm Siren *cough*), and I didn't want to go through the agony of having to wait a year for the next book.
With that being said, I NEED RECLAIMING SHILO SNOW RIGHT NOW

I need it

*clears throat* Anyways, let's get onto the review shall we?

The plot: will keep you guessing and wondering who the bad guys, and good guys are. Also has an amazing message
Liv K. Fisher
DNF. I'm not a huge sci-fi person (my brain + science = help me), and this book just had so many science-y things going on that I was a tad bit confused. If you love science and/or science fiction, though, I'm sure you'd love this! :)
Melissa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exciting novel with a great cliffhanger! I loved that the fantasy themes can be translated into our own modern culture, but also that they can be taken as entertainment as well. Lots of great food for thought about the insidiousness of trafficking and how we tend to overlook things because they seem so "good" and "right" on the surface. Can't wait to read the next in the series
Micaiah Saldaña
Wow, guys, just... Wow. This may be my favorite Mary Weber book ever. RTC!
  • The Cerulean  (Untitled Duology #1)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Queen's Rising (The Queen’s Rising, #1)
  • The Hearts We Sold
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Endless Water, Starless Sky (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #2)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • Untitled (Andromeda Cycle, #1)
  • Between the Blade and the Heart (Valkyrie, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Brave New Girl (Brave New Girl, #1)
  • Sea Witch
Mary Weber is the multiple-award-winning author of the bestselling young adult Storm Siren Trilogy, and The Evaporation of Sofi Snow series (all by HarperCollins). An avid high school, middle school, and conference speaker, Mary's passion is helping others find their voice amid a world that often feels too loud. When she's not plotting adventures involving tough girls who frequently take over the ...more
More about Mary Weber

The Evaporation of Sofi Snow (2 books)
  • Reclaiming Shilo Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, #2)