Start by marking “The Long Road Home” as Want to Read:
The Long Road Home

The Long Road Home

Kate’s life was in turmoil after the death of her parents. She’d always been protected and sheltered by them. Suddenly she finds herself with a conniving fiancé living under her roof, a powerful businessman with terrorist ties from across the ocean trying to kill her and more family secrets than most American politicians. She was also unaware that a half brother she knew n ...more
Published November 12th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Long Road Home, please sign up.
Carolyn Bowen Mark, Thanks for asking. I love to travel and am inspired when visiting these fun places. It almost feels like there's a story waiting for me once I…moreMark, Thanks for asking. I love to travel and am inspired when visiting these fun places. It almost feels like there's a story waiting for me once I arrive. Kinda of cool! (less)

Nicola
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book so much. I received this book through Booktasters in exchange for a review.
Carolyn has entwined many lives and weaved a great story around them.
Kate McClellan is the central character to this tale of corruption, deceit, and money lust. She's suffered the death of her parents in a tragic accident. Following the accident she inherits a large estate and amount of money. As well as this she then has to contend with the end of her relationship with her fiance. Because she ha
Wulfwyn
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booktasters
I liked the story. It held my interest even though I had a couple of problems with it. I liked a lot of the characters. The ones I didn't I wasn't suppose to. The story moved along at a fast pace and was filled with intrigue. Which brings me to my problems with it. Point of view changed a few times during the story. I can handle that when the author keeps me in the know. With this story, they changed with no real warning or break. Several times I was jarred out of the story by the abrupt change ...more
Nicki Southwell
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kate, engaged to Ken, discovers that he likes to look at dubious material on the internet including dating websites. She decides to leave but has no idea of some of the contacts he has. Little does she know but he is after he by any method he can find.

The death of her parents some months earlier has left Kate in a quandary. She is now an heiress which would help to shape her future.

I like the main characters and the plot had lots of twists and turns. This was not just a romance, but a thriller a
M Gamble
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kate, after confirming that her fiance is a dastardly cheat, finds herself in quite a predicament. She breaks off the engagement and all hell breaks lose. Little did she know that her fiance had ties to all kinds of low life criminals - and now they are after her and her estate. While the story itself is a real roller coaster ride, the author still manages to slow things down long enough to take in the scenes of the Charleston area and the Florida coast. I thoroughly enjoyed this book from begin ...more
Wanda C
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this romance thinking I would enjoy a soft love. However, this book is more than a gentle romance, it is also a great mystery and thriller. Is anyone who we really think they are? This book ties in family betrayal, terrorism, loss, travel, unknown fortune, threats, and more. I liked it.

Based on a five-star rating, I give it five stars!
1) Buy from the author in the future? Yes
2) Did it keep me intrigued? Yes
3) Story line adventurous, mysterious, and believable? Yes
4) Would I rec
Mark Kloss
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is very unusual nowadays to see a romance book without a hint of sex, I guess that will be very appealing and refreshing, or a total turn off!
As our main characters life unravels, death and deception all around, she manages to surround herself with good people, who all together pull through the mess and create a much better life.
It kept me hooked with the murder mystery and adventure, but it still felt warm and relaxed throughout - a nice combination!
Rayne Dowell
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fast-paced mystery romance with twists and turns for Kate McClellan, who finds herself in the middle of intrigue after her parents die in a car accident. Overnight Kate becomes an heiress discovering family secrets riddled with half-siblings, intrigue, greed, and lost memories. I liked this book, it was an enjoyable read.
Sandi
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book through booktasters in exchange for be review. I was able to read the book in 3 days time, it kept my interest and I looked forward to each chapter . I forward to reading more by this author
Mary
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining! Read this book in 2 sittings. Kept my interest from the first page to the last.
Becky Zales
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booktasters
The Long Road Home by Carolyn Bowen begins with its main character Kate. She has just lost her mother and father in an automobile accident. Kate is now the only heir to the family estate, at least this is what she believes to be true. After leaving Ken her fiancé, Kate secretly escapes her South Carolina home and travels to Florida where she moves into her grandmother's Antebellum home. In an attempt to start over and discover herself, she suddenly finds her life interrupted by a terrorist takin ...more
JG
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Katherine (KWBookReviews.com)
description

I was given a free copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.

The Long Road Home by Carolyn M. Bowen is a thriller/mystery novel. Kate McClellan is a woman who seems to have a pretty good life: she has a great job at an ad agency and a wonderful fiance named Ken. Out of nowhere, though, Kate’s parents are killed in an automobile accident which leaves Kate feeling lost. Despite this pain, she manages to move on with her life and is ready to be married.

Time moves forward and the day before
P.S. Winn
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good story with a couple of interesting twists.Kate has lost her parents and was thinking of marrying a man named Ken. Then she finds out he's not the man she thought and Kate heads to Geneo, Florida to her family's home, to get away. Things aren't as they seem and Kate's life is going to be turned upside down. The author has a good writing style that makes for a quick read. She also adds just the right amount of mystery, past and present to make this a book to pick up.
C.M. Blair
Aug 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
(The author graciously gave me a free copy in exchange for an honest review.)

This week I had the opportunity to read Carolyn M. Bowen’s book "The Long Walk Home." It’s rare that I don’t finish a novel, but I must be honest and admit that I didn’t finish this one. The description sounded intriguing enough; so much so that I was genuinely looking forward to reading it. However, roughly fifteen pages in, I decided to stop. The main reason is that the novel reads like a first draft manuscript instea
Wayne Kerr
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of 'The Long Road Home' in exchange for an honest review.  Someone wants Kate McClellan dead. There are plenty of suspects: her ex-fiancé, a half-brother she didn't know of, a family enemy with ties to terrorism, and closer to home, her recently deceased father's business partners.  This book is rich in detail, with twists and turns starting on the first page and continuing throughout.

A complex plot, sprinkled with romance and loaded with southern charm, this book is an enterta
Pranjal Prasad
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given a free copy for an honest review.
Although I didn't love this book, I liked it. The story was fast paced, very detailed and unpredictable. There were parts where it felt quite rushed, but given the fast pace of the book, it can be ignored. The plot didn't lose its relevance (which happens a lot with books like these).
But thos book is not without its faults. I couldn't connect with the charecters, and as mentioned before, the story felt rushed.
Overall, I feel it was worth a read.
Blogging Mama101
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
We meet Kate McClellan just as her life is unravelling horribly. Her parents have been killed in a horrific car accident and she's discovered the fiancé that should be supporting her is a manipulative cheat.

So Kate decides to take time out from her busy job at an ad agency and flees to the sanctuary of her late Grandmother's plantation in Florida.

Welcomed instantly into the close knit community, Kate has little idea that her ex-fiancé is not going to let her go without a fight and hires a priv
Kerstin Vollbrecht
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kate McClelan is the heir of a very wealthy lawyer after both their parents die in a car accident. Her life gets completely off track when she leaves her fiancee and it's visited by a private detective who is averting her that she's in danger. This is where her journey into family secrets starts.
This is a book that is completely readable in one sitting. The story had me trapped from the beginning to the end and it is very well developed, with only the necessary details about the happenings for t
Christin.P
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
** I thank NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. **

Although the synopsis sounded promising, I couldn’t push past page 58 and so The Long Road Home ended up on my digital DNF pile. It’s a shame because the story has enough potential to become an entertaining novel. Unfortunately, the writing absolutely gets in the way.

In essence, the story reads like a report, not a novel. Facts about characters, settings, and events are relentlessly strung together and I had a hard time keepin
Karen Hawkins
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Disjointed and too rambling with lots of abrupt changes!

I gave this book a low rating because, while the storyline was good and the characters interesting, the plot jumped around too much to be really enjoyable. Little bits and pieces that had no prior basis kept jumping out of the woodwork and so much of the story zoomed by so fast that I was left wondering how many details I had missed. Even the end of the book, while anticipated, simply appeared on the last page like Boom, there you go! No w
Carmen
There were times where things were 'concluded/wrapped' up too quickly and usually not in the best manner; this book moved at too much of a clipped pace - a lengthier novel would have been able to make more room for plot planning, character development and background story to the characters. One thing I will say is that Ken Stanlan wasn't a nice character; though that piece of the story was a bit of a loose end as well. I got a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Sharon
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Murder Mystery readers
This book had so many great aspects to the story—Kate's relationship with Jake and her brother, her father's past, to name just a few—unfortunately, they were never fully explored and developed. It seemed like there could have been so much more to this story. I did like the author's style of writing and would definitely read another book by her in the future. (I was given a copy of this book for my honest opinion.)
Kate
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a complex story involving murder, mystery and romance. It is full of emotions and twists and turns that will keep you wondering if Kate will be able to cope with all that is happening to her and her family.

I felt that the plot and characters were well developed. Even though this was a murder mystery, I felt relaxed while I was reading it. It is a good story to read while in front of a fireplace with a glass of wine or hot chocolate. I as given this book and I enjoyed reading it.
Kameron Williams
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Opportunists lurk all around Kate McClellan like vultures over ripe carrion. When everyone wants something, who can you trust?

This was a fast read and a page turner. Although fiction, I think it highlights the darker side of ambition in a very real way.
Wendy Farley
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An Exciting Adventure

This story weaves together all of the elements I love to experience when reading a novel : exotic places, romance and suspense. My interest was piqued from the beginning and throughout. Enjoy!
Cathy Higgins
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting mystery that adeptly uses third-person perspective to take the reader through every avenue of the story. It's a great read.
Judith
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable book!

The twists and turns in this book just keep coming. So many levels of suspense and “who done it”. Looking for more books by this author!
Debbie
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
This is a fast paced mystery - the story line is interesting, though it moved too quickly for me. I would have enjoyed more depth to the plot. I also would have liked to get to know the characters better by having them more fully developed.

I received a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
Leah Chalmers

• Sing the Song
  • Eastwind
  • In the Midnight Hour: The Life & Soul of Wilson Pickett
  • Sewing Figs
  • Pandora's Gift (Pandora, #3)
  • No Cure for Fear
  • The Appointment: Lost and Found (Book 1): Volume 1
  • 6 weeks of white castle /n rust
  • A New Chapter
  • Grrrls on the Side
  • The Big Life: Embrace the Mess, Work Your Side Hustle, Find a Monumental Relationship, and Become the BADASS BABE You Were Meant to Be
  • Doll Shaker
  • America, Inc. (The Black Swan Saga, #1)