Start by marking “Perennial Seller: The Art of Making and Marketing Work That Lasts” as Want to Read:
Perennial Seller: The Art of Making and Marketing Work That Lasts

Perennial Seller: The Art of Making and Marketing Work That Lasts

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  229 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Bestselling author and marketing strategist Ryan Holiday reveals to creatives of all stripes--authors, entrepreneurs, musicians, filmmakers, fine artists--how a classic work is made and marketed.
In Hollywood, a movie is given a single weekend to succeed before being written off. In Silicon Valley, a startup is a failure if it doesn't go viral or rake in venture capital fr
Hardcover
Published July 18th 2017 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Perennial Seller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perennial Seller

Daniel Rodic
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ryan Holiday’s latest book - Perennial Seller — walks readers through Ryan’s views on what it takes to build a creative work that lasts. It’s one part product, and one part marketing.

Here’s my key takeaways from the book:
> Most perennial sellers weren’t hits out of the gate when they launched. While nailing a good launch is important, when you have a long-term view of how you market and grow your product, the initial reaction by the market doesn’t always determine it’s long term success.

Take
J.R.
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
Just because you've created something doesn't mean someone will want it.
Whether it's a book, art, music or some other product of your imagination, your job is to make others want it. Some will be satisfied with a quick payoff and move on to another project.
In this book, Ryan Holiday offers strategies for making your creation a lasting--a perennial--seller, a project with an unlimited lifetime of reward. His blueprint is practical and filled with examples of artists in many fields who have achie
Blahoot
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Perennial Seller comic

In one part of Perennial Seller, Ryan Holiday shares advice he got from an unnamed successful author who said that the key to success in non-fiction is to be “very entertaining” or “extremely practical.” Holiday definitely chose plan B.

Perennial Seller is full of practical, timeless advice. It's well written, flows smoothly, and is easy to digest. While there are no groundbreaking new strategies here, what’s new (to me at least) is its argument to shift to a longer term focus. Perennial Seller
E.M. Epps
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2017
This is one of those books that's a brilliant condensation of wisdom pertaining to X thing (in this case, see the subtitle for the value of X). The use you get out of it will be proportional to how *few* books you've read on surrounding topics. I've probably got it covered 7/10, so my reactions were mostly along the lines of "oh, that's a good reminder." However, if you are a creative person who wants to get a good, bullshit-free understanding the commercial/marketing aspects of art, you should ...more
MGMaudlin
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I have been working in publishing for over three decades and have become a little jaded when someone wants to explain the book business, especially when giving advice on how to be successful at it. And so I was surprised when I found myself nodding vigorously with everything Ryan Holiday says in PERENNIAL SELLER, from how to conceive of the project to the role of the editor to how to think about and do marketing for the project. I won't summarize his main points since there are so many, but I wi ...more
Ties
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's fine. I enjoy Ryan's storytelling / style and like his approach in general. I feel that's where it remains though, being very general even though the book is filled with examples and stories.

I'm missing something, and as holiday quotes Neil gaiman, your reader is most often right if he feels a work lacks something. I wouldn't really recommend this book to be honest even though it's all right. I wouldn't know what to recommend it for.
Matthew
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
An important read for anyone interested in creating something remarkable.

Plus, as an Entrepreneur who's described building businesses as "my art", I appreciate how he lumped creatives and entrepreneurs in the same basic category.

Steven Woloszyk - (Wa-LUSH-ick)
This one showed up at my office on July 18th. I searched for a gift note as I didn't recall ordering up any books. Then, later in the day, I received an email from the author announcing his book was out and it dawned upon me that I pre-ordered it as Ryan Holiday has fast become one of my favorite authors.

I set it aside until my mentor Kevin Nations posted on Facebook that this book was his favorite read in the past five years and I was suddenly inspired to make it my next.

In Perennial Seller, Ry
Mehrsa
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I learned a ton--especially as it's about marketing books and I've got one coming out here shortly (what I learned is that I'm doing everything wrong), but on the other hand, I feel like Holiday has a hammer and everything is a nail. He comes from marketing and it seems to him that that's the most important thing about the book. And having read his other books, it's clear he cares more about marketing than content. Or maybe I'm jealous beca ...more
Mark Marquez
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long game and focused marketing.

This is a great book on what it takes to create great work that is focused on lasting and the marketing it takes to sustain this effort. It's a mantra for encouraging a strategy for the long game and not worried about instant gratification (something most difficult to cater to in today's society) and instead focus on creating a work that has impact.

He details steps to take to build a platform and how to best approach the marketing for this long game strategy. It
Bartosz Majewski
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
How to make and sell creative work that will last? Seems that Holiday has got the best answer to the question so far. Not suprisingly he's very qualified to take a stab at it with aprenticeship under Robert Greene, couple books that sell more than 5.000 copies monthly and a profitable consulting business for other authors. I've read every book (Besides daily stoic i will finish in a little less than a year) and i can honestly recommend this one as well as other ones. Suprisingly it's a mixture o ...more
Ryan Kirk
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I'll admit that I was excited to read this book. I'm a fan of Ryan Holiday's, and I've generally enjoyed his previous work and his writing.

This book, while it has good moments, fell a little short for me.

I love the premise: make good work, work that will last forever and sell well after it's been written. Ryan encourages us to take the long view of art, sacrificing short-term gain in favor of lasting success. I agree with his point, and am glad he brought it up.

The problem is, there's no secret
Dave
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-creative
Taking a drawdown period - time to just think and slience all distractions - was the most important idea or piece of advice that I got from this. Holiday offers a ton of good advice that has mostly been said in one way or another - want to be a writer - start writing. Writers give their work to an editor not to friends to get paid, great products sell themselves no marketing can make up for crappy products, make something built to last. It echos Anne Lamott, Steve Pressfield and a lot of blog po ...more
Devin Voorsanger
An amazing book I highly recommend it

I have already purchased and gifted 3 copies to friends and family. As someone who runs an Incubator program and seeks to help people create, launch and sustain long lasting innovative companies I can tell you found absolutely zero flaws in his logic or advice. As someone who is writing their own book I can tell you the wealth of advice was timely and perfect. I am reinvigorated and will get back to work now writing my own perennial seller. Buy this book ev
Gisele Thomson
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read on creating products that go the distance

Reading this book helped me reignite my excitement about a novel I've been working on for 5 years. I had at some mistake assumed I had to have a failure that would be stored in a drawer. It killed my enthusiasm for the story and the story was difficult to pursue. Who wants to put all that energy into something going nowhere? So reading this book offered ame a revised mental model and tools to think about that story and develping it to become a
Li Li
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another master piece from Ryan Holiday.

Perennial Seller is full of practical, timeless advice. It's very well written, flows smoothly, and easy to digest.

No groundbreaking new strategies here, but his entire focus on shifting short-term gain to a long lasting focus dramatically changed one's viewpoint and definition of 'Value'.

He reinforced me to shift my short term to a much longer view. I found this to be compelling and much-needed advice, and is why I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone w
A
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Ryan's tough love style haha..great book! It has a few core principles with stories and examples to argue each. These are things you've likely heard before, but like many things, consuming one at a time is different than consuming multiple items at one time where you can easily make associations that make the message more impactful. Kind of reminded my of Malcolm Gladwells "Outliers"..if you liked that topic and style, you'll likely enjoy this one too.
Panda Keeper
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Having went through the first 15%, I am totally convinced there's no point going further. After all, every hour I spent on reading the wrong book is an hour I DID NOT spend on reading the right book.
Admittedly Ryan posed a thought-proving question, but he gave a lazy, unthoughtful, unoriginal and thus extremely unsatisfying answer.

Time to move on.
Matt Cannon
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have come to trust certain authors that put out great content time and time again. Ryan is one of those authors. This was a great book that I believe will accomplish the same staying power and longevity that the book describes. I will likely read this book several times as it contains lots of great and practical information.
Danny
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great, actionable book for creatives to consider adding strategy and long-term thinking to their work. I think this is Ryan's best book in terms of writing. Would recommend to anyone in a creative field, or who is a fan of his work.
Adii Pienaar
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Ryan's style of writing and especially how he managed to intertwine loads of different sources in telling a story. This was definitely the case with Perennial Sellers as well. I enjoyed the read and left with a lot of notes and inspiration.
Chris De
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lot of the book is common sense, but sometimes you need a great writer to reiterate it to you. I love all of Ryan's books. They are easy to digest. Great book if you are at the precipice of a new project.
Matt
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

I've been in a rut of late. Reading this fired me up and calmed me down at the same time. My heart might be breaking, I might be sick, but I can still work towards something close to perennial. Holiday shows you the tools and some lovely thinking models to get there.
Nick
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty solid read. Ryan shares the ingredients needed to create timeless value for creators of all kinds. By heading this advice, we can all create better value for everyone. And this is what I believe is the core principal of a perennial seller.
Daren Smith
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must Read

Ryan does it again, with another great addition to his string of well written, valuable books. This is a must read for creators of all kinds.
Arthur
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superb book for creators that explains how to build for timeless and enduring impact.

5 Minute Book Crunch available at: https://whywhathow.xyz/book-crunch-pe...
Aaron Terrazas
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as the author's previous books, but still a handful of interesting/useful nuggets.
Kyle
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Ryan Holiday provides awesome insight and helpful guidance on a fresh, fascinating topic. This is my new favorite writing/marketing book.
Luca Conti
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well packed. Contents? Not so good
Tamara Romero
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It contains lots of Iron Maiden case studies.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Ryan Holiday is media strategist for notorious clients like Tucker Max and Dov Charney. After dropping out of college at 19 to apprentice under the strategist Robert Greene, he went on to advise many bestselling authors and multi-platinum musicians. He is the Director of Marketing at American Apparel, where his work in advertising was internationally known. His strategies are used as case studies ...more
More about Ryan Holiday...

“People claim to want to do something that matters, yet they measure themselves against things that don’t, and track their progress not in years but in microseconds. They want to make something timeless, but they focus instead on immediate payoffs and instant gratification.” 2 likes
“From sacrifice comes meaning. From struggle comes purpose. If you’re to create something powerful and important, you must at the very least be driven by an equally powerful inner force. If” 1 likes