Start by marking “Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)

Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles #3)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  35,047 Ratings  ·  570 Reviews
A Princess's work is never done—not even when she becomes a queen!

Princess Cimorene is now Queen Cimorene ...and she's faced with her first queenly crisis—the Enchanted Forest is threatened with complete destruction!

Those wizards are back—and they've become very smart. (Sort of.) They've figured out a way to take over the forest once and for all...and what they have plann
Audio Cassette, 6 pages
Published April 23rd 2002 by Listening Library (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Calling on Dragons, please sign up.

Arlene Totally appropriate for a 9-12 year old. Perhaps it is merely due to a reclassification of the entire Series into Young Adult-perhaps because so many…moreTotally appropriate for a 9-12 year old. Perhaps it is merely due to a reclassification of the entire Series into Young Adult-perhaps because so many of us as adults enjoyed this whimsical series too. (less)

Kathryn
Calling on Dragons, though it does give us great background information on witches in general and Morwen in particular, is by far the weakest entry in the series.

My dislike, or perhaps I should say my lack of liking, for this book is primarily due to the character Killer, an enchanted bunny that Morwen finds in her garden. He's a hopping, talking MacGuffin; because a wizard was involved with his enchantment, Morwen takes him to the castle to consult with Mendanbar and Cimorene (who, incidentall
Ahmed  Ejaz

►MY FEELINGS
This book was very interesting from the beginning. I was very gripped by this book. For once I thought this book will be the best book in this series. BUT I think this book was very predictable for me after reading its previous books.
Nevertheless, This was a very enjoyable and interesting read for me. I am satisfied that this book didn't hurt me like its second book did.

Be Alert! Don't open any spoiler if you are looking farword to read this book or you don't want any revealations
Ann
I enjoyed "Calling on Dragons" but not nearly as much as the first two. Now, I wasn't able to read this nearly as quickly as I was the previous two, so I'm sure I lost a bit of the flow because I had to stop and start so much. But, I just felt the book plodded more than its predecessors, and that every time we got close to something interesting, the story would back off and resort to something funny, or take that climax moment and start explaining something that really didn't need to be explaine ...more
Clare Fitzgerald
Calling on Dragons was possibly my favorite one of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles books when I was younger. It’s a little bit darker and a little bit weirder than the other ones, but this is offset by a heightened number of sassy talking animals.

Calling on Dragons is told from the perspective of the witch Morwen, who has been previously established as totally awesome in the first two volumes. While it’s great to hear a story from Morwen’s perspective just because Morwen is awesome, the real tr
Magrat Ajostiernos
'Calling on dragons' no me ha gustado ni de lejos tanto como las dos primeras partes de la saga (mucha culpa la tiene el estúpido personaje de Killer ¬¬) pero aún así sigue siendo un libro infantil entrañable y divertido, además deja con ganas del cuarto y último volumen que parece que va a ser bastante diferente a los anteriores :)
MrsJoseph
3 Stars

Tamika,

This series is SO incredibly cute! I have to admit that books 1 and 2 are my favorites but I think the entire series is worth the read. It is a Young Adult fantasy series that (mostly) stars a woman and has a little bit of gendered role reversal. Cute!

Caveat: Books 3 and 4 are pretty annoying and book 3 (this one) has THE WORSE ENDING. Seriously. If you decide not to read them, give me a call and I'll give you the run-down. Have water handy, lol.

Kaethe
9 October, 2007

cliffhanger ending, wow

5 September, 2015

I am perhaps most inclined to love this volume because Morwen, a witch with lots of cats she can talk to and books. But that stupid rabbit is annoying as hell and just won't ever stop whining. It's like being trapped in a car with the worst toddler imaginable for eternity.

ShoSho
Annoying characters (Killer and Telemain voices grates on my nerves!) and a very bad cliffhanger :(
Caitlin
Not bad, but nowhere near as good as the first two.

In Calling on Dragons, the ever annoying Society of Wizards decides to become a serious threat to Mendanbar, Cimorene and the entire Enchanted Forest. They want the magic that's omnipresent in the forest and have decided that they're not going to let Mendanbar and his magic sword prevent them from getting it. So when the sword gets stolen, Cimorene, the witch Morwen, the magician Telemain, the dragon king Kazul and an assorted number of beasts i
Gwyn
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another delightful adventure from the Enchanted Forest! I especially loved this one because the point of view switched to Morwen, whom I adore. I mean, she's a young, red haired witch who hates the traditional witchy things, has 9 hodgepodge cats with the BEST names, and grows lilacs in her garden. And she's just so no-nonsense and I love her ^_^ (unimportant but still: I really like the front cover but it's a shame Morwen has a witch's hat on as she never wore them :/) Those cats were proba ...more
Joy
Although I am so reluctant to recommend books in which a Dragon is turned into a protagonist, (curious why? Excellent non-fiction on the topic of myth and popular culture today is "A Landscape With Dragons"--highly recommend it to parents who have children heavily invested in fantasy literature. You don't have to agree with all his points to realize that he is raising an issue than many parents might not even know is there. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...) I cannot help but love these b ...more
Hebah
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
This one felt like a middle book. It was a charming installment, but it was definitely the setup for a concluding volume. The cats were delightful, but some of the gags like Killer's enchantments and Telemain's academic mumbo-jumbo felt a little overused.
Sara Saif
Sweet and smooth. The kind you can finish in one sitting. Loved it but the first one still remains the best. This time the spotlight belongs to Morwen, the witch who helped Cimorene and Kazul on previous occasions. She has more than half a dozen cats named like Trouble, Scorn, Miss Eliza, and she talks to all of them. She's quirky, unusual for a witch and the only one who understands what the bananas Telemain is talking about. I find the whole melting-wizards business really funny.
Things got a
Jo Anna
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, fantasy
Calling on Dragons is written from the point of view of Morwen. I always loved Morwen's character, so I was excited to learn more about her and her nine cats Murgatroyd, Trouble, Scorn, Fiddlesticks, Jasmine, Jasper, Miss Eliza, Chaos, and Aunt Ophelia. However, I feel like I barely got to learn anything new about Morwen at all (although I did quite enjoy her cats in this book) because I was constantly having to read about how annoying Killer the rabbit was, how not one of the characters was rea ...more
Abigail
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fave-oldies
I. LOVE. THESE. BOOKS. Highly recommend for anyone looking for a quick, easy, and fun fantasy story that'll stay with you. I've read this series more times than I can count and I enjoy it every time and rediscover things about the characters. I recommend this for kids, and everyone older, because it had such a great influence on me and has such great messages. Love!

Also: this book is from Morwen's P.O.V. and it made me realize just how much I love her.
Bethany
This series continues to be 'cute' without having much to offer me beyond that. I would love to read this to kids: I think it would be fun. But I wouldn't read it for myself. Right now I'm reading it because one of my friends told me to!
aja
this is my second least favorite book in the series. it's a toss up -- morwen's pov means we get to listen to the cats talk, which is obviously awesome, but killer is so annoying. i'm not gonna read the fourth one, because it is my least favorite.
Cloie Rainilla
Darn, this could've been a whole lot better! I still did enjoy it, besides I just gotta continue the series after that ending!

3 Stars
Denlillebogblog
2-3 stars. ...more
Pam
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid book 3. I really enjoy reading about the further adventures of Wrede's Enchanted Forest characters. This book had the reader getting to know Morwen's cats a lot better...and I enjoyed their true to life catlike personalities! I hope in book 4 they find a more permanent solution to wizards than repeated melting....I'd love to see their powers taken forever!
Leigha's Little Library
Nostalgic book. Most nostalgic books are given a 3 (middle ground rating) unless I distinctly remember details from the book. All I remember is that I liked this when I first read it. My ratings for nostalgic books may change upon re-reading them.
Joe Santoro
Definitely not as good as the first two.... I really didn't need a focus on Morwen's cats.. they were more interesting and mysterious as a pack... telling us which is which and trying to develop them separately was just too much.

Having flipped through the original book, I see why she ended it where and how she did, but it was pretty unsatisfying... I'm actually not totally sure I'm even going to read the last one... we'll see.
Julie
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cliffhanger!!! Definitely a fun read, from Old MacDonald to Rapunzel (actually Rachel's and she had a chair) tower. Silliness abounds and also some action. And in this one we get to hear what Morwen's cats say.

(view spoiler)
Harold Ogle
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of humor, fans of fantasy, cat lovers
How much we enjoy a book has such a big dependence on everything else that's happening to us, including what we've just read before it. Coming off of Daniel Abraham, I realized that I wasn't enjoying this book nearly as much as the previous two "Enchanted Forest Chronicles" books...so I stopped.

I set the book aside for a few days and did other things. Then, when I resumed the book after that break, I enjoyed it so much more. This book was fun enough that I spent time recounting some of the silli
Hilary
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alligator
This series is forever destined to be slightly incomplete on my GoodReads shelves because there's no way I can remember just how many times I reread it as a child. Of all the books in The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, it is this and Dealing with Dragons that I had the clearest memories of. It amuses me a bit that Brandel, the fire mage, I recalled so clearly as being my favorite character in this book apart from Morwen... he's barely in the book at all. What exactly was I thinking?

Amy
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In book 3 of Enchanted Forest Chronicles, the sword belonging to the King of the Enchanted Forest is stolen by those dastardly wizards. Cimorene and her companions must find it before it drains all of the magic from the enchanted forest!

My favorite line from this book is Brandel the fire witch describing his sister Rachel. She lived in a tower with a sorceress to learn magic - the only access was by lowering a chair from an upper story window. Heroes never believed she wanted to be there - they
Noella
The third book in the series changes the 'main character' once again. This time it's Morwen and she brings her chatty cats to the story. The wizards have found a way around sucking up the magic in the Enchanted Forest and have stolen of Mendenbar's sword from right under his own castle. Morwen, Cimorene, Kazul and Telemain head off to retrieve the sword to restore the damage to the Enchanted Forest. I find that the series has lost a bit of its magic and I wasn't as easily amused. Cimorene is con ...more
Lela
Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lela by: Mrs. Hannah
I liked the variety of characters in this book. The cats and Killer were a lot of fun. I have to admit that I'm getting a little tired of the conflict always feeling the same. The wizards are being bad; we're going on a journey to melt them. This book does leave some things unresolved though, and so it seems like the next book will build on the conflict instead of starting over from strange-behavior-maybe-it's-a-wizard. I've read the books before, but I don't remember the plots at all, so it's a ...more
Caroline
May 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uno-2017
Easily the weakest entry in the series for a very obvious reason: the character Killer.

I assume Killer was supposed to be funny and/or cute, but instead he is just obnoxious. Like Jar-Jar Binks level obnoxious.

I know this series is aimed at young adults, but I remember being 11 or 12 reading this for the first time and thinking "Sweet God this guy is stupid. They should just leave him to let him get himself killed."

Killer makes the same stupid decisions over and over and over again and by the
Reen
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for the first time when I was about 9 or 10. I read it aloud to my little sister while we stayed up late together when my parents decided I was old enough that they didn't need to hire a babysitter. We both decided our favourite cat was Fiddlesticks.

Part of my love for this book may be nostalgia, but I still re-read it every couple of years and enjoy it every single time. I would also highly recommend the entire series for anyone wanting to introduce a young girl to some charac
Madison Mega-Mara...: #134 - Calling on Dragons 1 2 Sep 02, 2014 05:35AM
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Heart's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady (The Squire's Tales, #2)
  • Briar's Book (Circle of Magic, #4)
  • Juniper (Doran, #2)
  • Wren's War (Wren, #3)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)
  • Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1)
  • Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2)
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more
More about Patricia C. Wrede...

Enchanted Forest Chronicles (4 books)
  • Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)

“The efficiency of the cleaning solution in liquefying wizards suggested the operation of an antithetical principal,which-"
"Did you have to get him started?" Cimorene asked reproachfully.”
79 likes