Start by marking “Hot Mess (Love is Messy Duet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hot Mess (Love is Messy Duet, #1)

Hot Mess (Love is Messy Duet #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  2,445 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
My life is a hot mess.

Single, working, and raising two daughters, it’s a miracle I get us up, dressed, and fed every morning. Forget about dating—nobody’s got time for that. Even if love hadn’t left me jaded, I’m not settling for anything less than perfect this time around.

Lucky for me, the perfect man just happens to work in my office. But there’s just one small problem:
Published February 2017

Dilek VT
2,5 stars

Review for both books in the Duet:

A sweet and hot love story that becomes frustrating too many times!

Sweet and likable characters that become annoying too many times!

A light and fun book that drags and drags and keeps on dragging some more!

A duet that must definitely have been ONE BOOK!

***********************************************

The plot & the characters:

Lexi is a hot mess with a demanding job, two kids, an as*hole ex and financial problems. Since her divorce, she hasn't had time
Lina's Reviews  ❥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ❥ღೋBook Blogღೋ ❥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ❥

POV: Dual POV
Plot:
Characters:
HEA: Not telling

I love Emily Goodwin and this book was romantic and sweet! What happens when a divorced mother of two has an one night stand with her boss's brother? Chaos ensues!
I loved the writing and Luke, our main hero, has to be one of my favorite book boyfriends ever. His character and kindness made the book for me. I would have liked to see the book's ending in one i
Lexi Cubbins
*types furiously while the second book is loading*

Super cute hero, super relatable single mom heroine, great chemistry, awesome story, PLAIN CRUEL CLIFFHANGER.
I advise you get the second book in the series before starting this, I mean, unless you want to have a coronary.

*off to start Twice Burned right this very second*
Samantha Larkin
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Writing was fine but it ends on a cliffhanger! I wouldn't have read it had I known!
Jenny
Plot rating: 3.5 stars
Dialogue rating: 3.5 stars
Storytelling rating: 4 stars
Story ending rating: 3 stars
Other woman/men drama: (view spoiler)
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Cliffhanger: (view spoiler)
HEA: (view spoiler)
**********************************************
Overall rating: 4 stars

The book d
Jessica Alcazar
First things first: #CoverWin and #TitleWin >> because life can really be just one big Hot Mess!!

Second: See that title up there ... yeah, the one that says Duet ... don't be surprised the story doesn't end here :)

This is a really romantic, sexy and sweet story. Lexi and Luke have some serious hurdles to jump personally before they can even begin to commit to each other and I think that's what captivated me the most. Neither was/is perfect. They are real and relatable. AND the hot mess beg
Coco.V
Dec 29, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝💝 FREE on Amazon today (12/29/2017)! 💝💝

Blurb:
My life is a hot mess.

Single, working, and raising two daughters, it's a miracle I get us up, dressed, and fed every morning. Forget about dating--nobody's got time for that. Even if love hadn't left me jaded, I'm not settling for anything less than perfect this time around.

Lucky for me, the perfect man just happens to work in my office. But there's just one small problem: he's my boss, and is totally off limits. But hey, if it's meant to be, it'll f
Tania's Book Blog
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
**ARC received in exchange for honest review**

W.T.H!!!!! First of all I didn't see that cliffhanger coming, sorry readers I hate to spoil it but yep. Which leads me to part two, I can't WAIT for Book two!!!

Lexi is a divorced mom of two little girls that meets hot bartender Luke on a much needed girls night out. One thing leads to another and one night stand turned into more. The only problem is that Luke is Lexi's boss, Cole, younger brother.

Cole is a world class prick the minute he finds out hi
My Girlfriend's Couch Blog
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Messy Stars!!!!!

When I read the blurb, I knew that I needed to take a chance with this book. I am so glad that I did! I devoured it! Emily Goodwin rocked my world with this book!

Hot Mess is really a hot mess! Haha... I am laughing at the title because Alexis (Lexi) really is a bit of a hot mess! She is a single mom of two young girls trying to rebuild her life after a divorce. I really loved Lexi. She was totally the mom that you would be friends with in real life. I think that is what sucked
Marcella
Does this drama really need two books? I swear the author could've done this book in 1.

As a mother of two young daughters Lexi hasn't had time to date. It's been two years now since she got a divorce but she hasn't found the time to go out and meet someone new. Not after the abuse she suffered from the man she had given herself to for five years. But that changes when a hot one night stand becomes more. This man is everything and more than she could ever possibly dream of...can she really let h
Jasmin
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Noooooooooooooooooo a cliffhanger
Yamina -Women Who Stare at Books
Arc kindly provided for an honest review*

I want more!!!
Hot Mess is the first book of a series. Emily Goodwin is a new author for me and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading Hot Mess.

"I want to believe I have a soul mate out there whose love is the kind of love I read about in romance novels. But...I thought I had it once, and I was wrong. "

Lexi is a divorcee, mom of two adorable girls who works as an editor for a big publishing company. She is trying to manage her work, her love for
Brianna at Renee Entress's Blog
4.5 Stars!

Emily Goodwin.. you naughty minx! I did not expect that ending and I did not realize this was a duet... but holy smokes! What an amazing book that captivated my heart and left me with a wicked hangover.

Hot Mess was a sexy, sweet, fun, intense, and passionate romance that captivated me cover to cover. This book was so good... edgy, smoldering, and not what I expected at all. This book took me on a journey that had twists, turns, laughs, smiles, and moments where I thought my kindle woul
Big Joe Rossi
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alexis is a hot mess with two young daughters and her hectic dream job as an editor all while dealing with an ex who still treats her like dirt. She has been alone since they split and since the divorce save for one bad date set up by her mother. Her only feeling about the opposite sex is the crush she has on her boss. Cole.

So when her friends get her to agree to a night out and the hot bartender is looking her way, a few drinks make her ballsy and she attempts a one night stand. Luke is hot an
Love N. Books
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ellie's $0.02:

Normally I don't get into the whole single-mom-divorcee-getting-back-into-the-dating-sex-scene books.... but this one struck me. Struck me in a good way. This was also my first Emily Goodwin book. So I really had no idea what to expect and was praying to God it didn't suck. That would be awkward.

So the first thing that attracted me was the main character was an editor. Hey. Cool. I'm an editor. Hopefully Goodwin gives the career field a good name in this book. She did. Not that I d
Emily
Lexi is an editor for a publisher, she loves her work and immersing herself in the stories others right. It is a great way to clear her head while trying to raise her two girls and moving on from an unhappy marriage. When she gets talked into going out for drinks and maybe a one night stand, she agrees and meets Luke. The chemistry is hot, Luke is dirty and has a desire to spend more time with Lexi. However Lexi didn't realize that Luke is the brother to her office crush and her boss. What will ...more
Caris
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lexi is struggling to handle the heavy load she has on her shoulders. Recently divorced, becoming a single mother and having to go full time as an editor at Black Ink Publishing is proving there isn’t enough hours in the day. But despite all of that, she is the happiest she has been in a really long time. She’s escaped her suffocating and debilitating marriage and is on the way to slowly rebuilding herself

Lexi is finally ready to get back out there, not necessarily letting anybody get emotional
Renee Entress from Renee Entress's Blog
4.5 star

I was pulled right into this story. This story contains heartbreak, pain, secrets, and suspense.

This is Lexi and Luke's story. Lexi is a single mother with two daughters. She is an editor and has fantasies about her boss but he is not for her. When she meets Luke out at a bar she knows she needs at least one night with him. Things get compilated right from the start. He is her boss’s brother. They don’t get along. But will that make a different when it was supposed to be one night? When
Connie
Wow! Hot mess is right! Way too much drama. Between Lexi's idiot ex-husband and Luke's sneaky brother, Cole, someone is going to end up in jail. But Luke and Lexi aren't totally innocent either. If your brother is out to get you and can cost your girlfriend her job, why are you taking stupid risks and committing lewd acts in his office building? This is one hot mess and a cliff hanger as well!!!
Shari Kay
May 17, 2018 marked it as not-my-thang
Annoying h. Unnecessary drama
Jessy
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

My wonderful friend who I thought loved me sent me this. It ends in a cliffhanger. I have a love/hate relationship with cliffhangers. As in I won't read the book unless they're all out. Nope, I have to wait for the duet to this one. I. Have. To. Wait. I'm not a very patient person, but I so much loved this book I will make an exception. ;) Interested in seeing what book 2 brings.
Nic *The Wandering Bookaholic* Spears
You know, I really enjoyed this book. From the very beginning we are swept away by Lexi's story as she struggles to juggle being a single parent and working full time. Add a sexy as sin bartender and what was supposed to be a one night stand and you get one hell of a hot, funny and charming read.

Lexi is an open book, I loved her from the get go and admired the way she tackled everything she was struggling with. She was the definition of a 'Hot Mess'.
Luke on the other hand is a complete and utter
Cocktails and Books
I really enjoyed this one. The title is appropriate because things are a bit of a hot mess. Not between Luke and Lexi, but their pasts and how they're lurking in the background. I can't wait to see what happens next in this Duet. I have a feeling it's about to get messier.
Julia - The Romance Bibliophile
NO SPOILERS!

Hot Mess was a sweet, sexy, and addicting start to the Love is Messy Duet, and I absolutely loved it! The storyline and characters were amazing, and I loved Emily Goodwin's writing style. I was immediately drawn into the story and characters from the first page, and I honestly couldn't get enough of everything. I loved this book so much and can't wait to read the conclusion in Twice Burned!

Luke and Lexi were amazing and I loved them and their story with all of my heart. I loved their
Shanda
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lexi is a single mom to two adorable girls and she works as a book editor. Her life is chaotic. She is running on empty trying to raise her girls and staying up late nights to work. This has left her with very little time to have a social life. On a weekend where her girls are with their father Lexi's friends convince her to take a night off.

Lexi decides to blow off some steam with the sexy bartender. Luke is more of a one night stand kind of guy but he soon finds himself wanting to spend more
Brenda Travers
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
First let me start by saying this is the first book from Emily Goodwin and I am now a fan.

This is the story of Lexi and Luke who struggle through a lot to try and be together. This book will hook you in from the very start and is a down right romantic, sexy read.

There are struggles for these 2, but they were a way of staying connected to the book. These struggles are everyday struggles so it make the book more realistic which I love.

Book 2 is out in March and I am ready for more like yesterday
Janee
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Concentration

Very interesting. Once I could sit down actually read the book without stopping, got me fixated what book was about.

I thought it dragged in some places, but that could of been me. Lexi is hard working single mom of two. Just reading what she going through has me tired. I know I had hard time read this book, I not going to give up to the next book. From what I read in this book the next book potential to be better.
Courtney Brown
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.6 Stars This is my first book by Emily Goodwin and I'm not disappointed I decided to give her ago ( after reading a snippet from TL Smiths Lovesick) Anyway I love Emily she is a hot mess but so damn likeable and real so so real .. She meets Luke when she's on a night out with her girls and she needs a one night stand to get back on the dating wagon.. These two have white hot chemistry but will the last the test of what her real life is actually like or will he run like he usually does.. The be ...more
Niki
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Divorcee hits it big!

I can't remember the last book I read that gave the hot and kind fire fighter to the divorced woman with two kids. But hot is an understatement. He got hotter with each page and with each word written of his helpfulness and sincerity his presence came into question. Ha. Superb plot and writing. Loved it!
Tonya
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I really liked this book but really hate that cliffhanger. Not all books need to be series! Off to find book 2.
Emily Goodwin is the New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author of over a dozen of romantic titles. Emily writes the kind of books she likes to read, and is a sucker for a swoon-worthy bad boy and happily ever afters.

She lives in the midwest with her husband and two daughters. When she's not writing, you can find her riding her horses, hiking, reading, or drinking wine with friends.

Emily is
More about Emily Goodwin

Love is Messy Duet (2 books)
  • Twice Burned (Love is Messy Duet, #2)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
  • Wildfire In His Arms
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“The hardest thing I’ve ever done was accept an apology I was never given.” 2 likes
“life is too short to not take chances. I’d rather go to bed at night thinking I can’t believe I did that than wishing I had. You tend to regret what you don’t do more, after all.” “If” 2 likes