Start by marking “Quid Pro Quo (The Administration, #2)” as Want to Read:
Quid Pro Quo (The Administration, #2)

Quid Pro Quo

(The Administration #2)

When he agrees to do a favor for his old friend Liz Carey in Corporate Fraud, Para-investigator Val Toreth is hoping for a simple case. After all, kidnapping and dismemberment are all in a day's work for the Investigation and Interrogation Division. But in the European Administration, simplicity is often a dangerous illusion, and anyone who goes looking for trouble in the ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 264 pages
Published May 27th 2008 by Casperian Books

Loederkoningin
2015: Reread with Lo-Lo and Jenna and..bloody hell, I didn't even realize how much I'd missed T & W!

2012: Behold my Manna Francis shrine*.

I almost opted for a plastic BDSM duck instead. But that would’ve been overdoing things, right? And as you can see I’m just not that crazy fangirl type...

So how do you sell a series like The Administration to people, without coming across as a religious freak and while knowing that shoving a recommendation down someone's throat can greatly diminish their
karen
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
it's the continuing erotic adventures of

and

if you have read my review for mind fuck, this makes sense, if not, this could be the start of a long and expensive lawsuit!

so, this is book two in the administration series, my foray into m/m erotica. this volume is comprised of a novella and a few short stories. the novella gets a cranky thumbs-down from me. it begins with an emergency room sexual mishap and then goes snoringly into a tepid kidnap and corporate-espionage plot that i could neither f
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

**January 2015 Re-read**

“What makes you think I’m ever going to stop?”

I had forgotten how all-consuming this series is for me. This world, words, men, and power completely take over my senses, thoughts, and daydreams. It’s why I read--to find this kind of dynamic, chemistry, and magic on the page. I thank the stars above and every reading god out there that I found this series. Especially….

PANCAKES! I have gushed all about Pancakes before though, so this time out my focus is on Surprises. How co
Sofia
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi

I’m finding it difficult to think of and rate each story separately as they are all little pieces of the story which build up the whole and when I reach a culminating bit which leaves me surprised, angry, happy etcera it is not just that particular moment I appreciate but the whole build up which MF does masterfully. She is giving us the story and the characters drop by precious drop and I’m enjoying it.

I like how we come to see that this is not the story Toreth and Warwick wanted or expected. H
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Do I need to tell you I won't be objective? This is freaking awesome, so more freakingly awesome even than the first time I read some of the stories. I already know what these guys went through and that's why this is so fascinating, because it's like hunting for easter eggs, for the moments when the relationship between Toreth and Warrick evolves and you're there and you can say: ha ha, caught!

The first part of the book has the novella Quid Pro Quo, which begins with the episode you can read for
R * A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

Apparently this is an actual collection of shorts interrupted by a novel length mystery, and for me, was two totally different things.

The titled "chapter" Quid Pro Quo continues in the same vein as Mind Fuck, featuring the machinations of the corporate world that are constantly running and nothing is as it seems. Greed is always the motivating factor to get and stay ahead, where this time around, a terrible kidnapping puts into motion an investigation that reveals many secrets desperat
Trio
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent - really amazing. The first story, Quid Pro Quo, is creative and interesting - but the remaining short stories are my kind of fabulous. I love the relationship between Toreth and Warrick and the stories delve into their everyday life, how each is feeling and what they're both thinking. How their relationship progresses is fascinating.

Manna Francis is an incredibly gifted author - the book is flawless between the characters, plots and pacing, just a fantastic read.
SueC
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this.

I loved how every scene felt like it's own short story; cleverly presented and neatly wrapped up. Every scene was somehow distinct from each one before or after it. Clear snapshots of defining moments rather than everything flowing from one to another. Most of the scenes weren't particularly happy but I found myself smiling and thrilled to bits by each of them. XD

I am all Team Toreth. He's such an interesting character. I loved seeing his intentions change for Warrick... the slow u
Sophie
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
[Added after reading this for the third time]: I'm aware I'm repeating myself when it comes to this series, but since I'm reading this again for the third time - but the first time after my initial obsession with this - I suppose that's permitted. Because it still holds up - it's as good as the first time around, and I wish I knew how it is that these characters have such a hold over me (okay, I have a suspicion, but let's try and stay out of TMI territory). This is so good.

[This is the first r
Irina
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Only now beginning to see what's the fuss all about.

I've realised the first book and QPQ's first story were just a warmup before the real torture. Toreth & Warrick unconsciously building some sort of a relationship is a disaster waiting to happen and the more tangled they get, the less likely it is to work. I LOVE this edgy, painful exploration of each other's limits, suppressed hidden desires that would prove a mere human weakness (and we can't have that!) and the dangerous games these two
MaDoReader
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bueno, esta valoración es más bien un 3,5 redondeada al alza más por el buen hacer de los relatos cortos que por la aburrida novella que es la primera mitad del libro.

Valoraré los relatos individualmente, aquí voy a permitirme hablar en general de esta relación, abierta, disfuncional, WTF, pero relación al fin y al cabo. En este libro ya se ve mucho más claro que algo tienen, y yo, como una ilusa sigo esperanzada en que Toreth deje de "repartir amor" algún día, porque tras Special Forces y los 2
Christina
Re-read 01/2015; 03/2017

Unlucky Break &
Quid Pro Quo (paperback only) - 3.5 Stars

Friday - 3.5 Stars

Pancakes - 5 Stars

Surprises - 5 Stars

Family - 5 Stars (better the second time, so I bumped it up)

Mirror, Mirror - 4.5 Stars
ElaineY
LenaLena
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mind Fuck wasn’t a 5 star read for me, personally. I loved the world building. Who can resist a good dystopia? Not me. This particular dystopia, with its totalitarian regime (The Administration) and its corporate counterpart of the Confederation of European Corporations, is absolutely chilling in all its futuristic cold-war-style bureaucracy.

Toreth had his days filled with Chevril’s offloaded prisoners, explaining to Justice representatives why it was possible to seriously interrogate prisoners
Ferran
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cops
3.5

I really enjoyed Mind Fuck, so after finishing it, I went straight to Quid Pro Quo. After finishing it however, I feel disappointed.

The main reason is that I don't like at all this compilation of stories thing. Different from the first book on the series, the procedural story here is just one chapter, that although long, has a separate and specific plot line and leaves out the development of Warrick and Toreth relationship.

Somehow, I get the feeling that after finishing the main story line, t
Meags
3.5 Stars

The crime portion of Quid Pro Quo didn't provide quite as compelling a mystery story as the one being solved by I & I in the first book (which had me fully immersed), but it was easy enough to follow and had a satisfying culmination, even if all the corporate gibberish did go slightly over my head.

I had a lot of fun reading the short stories that followed after Quid Pro Quo, even though they felt completely disjointed from the main story. Like many readers, I absolutely adored the
Jerry
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm, violence
The event of "Unlucky Break" is not part of my ability to understand how pain can be a turn on or in anyway increase the sensations of orgasm.

Friday is a vain attempt to keep the developing relationship to just a fuck buddy one--but they can't stop thinking about the other.

Surprises
The sociopath Toreth and the masochist Warrick continue to "surprise" me. Toreth sees that Warrick is insinuating himself into the very fabric of his being and seems to be helpless in stopping it--even though he is ex
Fangtasia
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Quid Pro Quo was a masterful lesson on writing an unputdownable detective story. The other stories in the book FINALLY!!! developed the relationship between the main characters. I was dying to see how it was going to progress. It takes a special kind of talent to think of a way to move that relationship forward, particularly when it involves a psycopath as one of the partners. Partners? Who said partners? Val would have my head if he read this comment. Can't wait to read the rest of the series. ...more
Deanna
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This may just be my favorite series of all time. The quality of writing never diminishes. Mind Fuck, Quid Pro Quo, Games & Players, Control and Quis Custodiet (and soon to be book #6!) are all equally good. One of my absolute favorite themes is dystopian future & totalitarian governments. So I am in heaven with this story! The characters of Torreth & Warrick are amazing. I love them both equally & that is rare for me as I usually have a favorite. The secondary characters are just ...more
Em
This was a much darker investigation for Toreth to get to grips with this time but he does it with his usual witty charm and sparkling personality. I did miss Warrick's absence for the first part of the book, however I'm beginning to really appreciate all the time they spend together now, and the scene below made me giggle so much. Poor Warrick!

"Want to move on to the hotel? I booked a room."
"Mm." Warrick smoothed the cloth, then shook it out and refolded it. "Actually, I have to say I'm no long
Camilla
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Quid Pro Quo is a collection of one longer story and then 5 short stories..

The first story, Quid Pro Quo starts out with the short called Unlucky Break.

Review:
This is a very short story, a free online read on the authors website, btw.

Its about Toreth and Warrick, needing to go to the hospital, because Warrick broke his wrist, in the middle of one of their sex sessions..

They cant get the handcuffs off, so Warrick is gonna have to explain what happened to the doctor/nurse..

Anywho.. Thats all f
Jenni

My review is for the book that includes the novella Quid Pro Quo (not featured on Manna Francis' website) and five short stories: Friday, Pancakes, Surprises, Family and Mirror, Mirror.

To get it out of the way, I didn't love the novella. It was long, a touch boring, and it featured far too little Warrick. So there's my half-star deduction. That being said, I did like meeting Doyle and generally observing Toreth behave in his natural habitat (read: work).

Now. Anyone for pancakes?
(Yep,
Katerina
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just woke up. Not in the figurative sense.

But I just wonder who's Manna Francis?
An exceptionally intelligent person? A politician? Someone studied Political Science? An investigator? A person with the greatest talent that the humanity has ever seen?
In any case, a great, extraordinary writer!

Something I have not experienced.

The main focus of this series lies in the explicit investigative work. Toreth's investigation cases are extremely exciting, complicated and dangerous. With one leg Toreth i
⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣ by: About Time
4.2 Stars

I'm still really ambivalent about Toreth (he's not a likable character at this point), but fuck - if nothing else - he sure is horrifyingly interesting. I almost want Warrick to dump him, but their relationship is equally fascinating. I'm not sure where she's gonna go with it, but you can sort of see how Manna's characters are evolving, changing; maybe not for the better but damn, I can't wait to find out!

This whole 'verse terrifies me, TBH...because I can see the way it's been built on
Steelwhisper
3.0-3.5*

I liked "Quid Pro Quo" somewhat better than "Mind Fuck", though I'm not sure I loved the deal I sort of got with this.

The prose and writing was less crisp and impeccable than that of MF, while the stories were livelier. There was more sex, especially more needless sex. While well-written and engaging, I generally prefer sex with a meaning or advancing the characters, and much of it was neither in the context of the overall plot. Some parts were funny, though again, that felt sort of...
Elle Beasee
2015 BR REREAD with Loe and Jenna.

I almost wish I could be genuinely sick and off work so I could stay at home and continue on. If there's one thing that's consistent in my life at the moment... it's my love for Toreth and Warrick. Sigh.

Upped to 5 stars, because honestly? What was I thinking with a 4 star rating the first time round??? This series deserves every one of these shiny muthafuckas.
Dreamer
Read 6 of the 7 short stories: Unlucky Break, Friday, Pancakes, Surprises, Family & Mirror, Mirror that make up this book. Just missing 'Quid Pro Quo' which has to be purchased.

Love the humour and sexiness in these well-written stories. Toreth & Warrick's relationship continues to develop despite Toreth's denial.

'Sara rolled her eyes. "God Almighty, not again. It's just an invite for New Year - he hasn't bought you a bloody ring."'
Fani *loves angst*

Some stories are great, some just nice, but overall, they're highly addictive.
Elizabetta

quid pro quo = something for something, an equal exchange of goods contingent upon each other (‘give and take’)

Quid Pro Quo is a compilation of short stories in this order:

Quid Pro Quo (novella)
Unlucky Break
Friday
Pancakes
Surprises
Family
Mirror, Mirror

These stories very nicely study the ‘give and take’ of Warrick and Toreth’s relationship.

Unlucky Break (chapter 1 in QPQ) 3.5 stars
Warrick breaks a wrist while he and Toreth are up to some kinky-dinks. So funny how they get Warrick out o
Rebecka
Oddly enough, considering the theme, this is one of the funniest books I've read in a very long time. I couldn't really read it in public since I found it impossible to contain my evil laughter at more or less... anything said by Toreth or Sara. I like the contrast of totalitarian society and hilarious dialogue. Who says people always have to be so dull in dystopian books?

One thing that I found somewhat weird with this book was the structure. First and foremost I was shocked by how expensive the
Buy it or not? 3 38 Nov 29, 2012 12:51PM
  • The Interludes (In the Company of Shadows, #3)
  • Special Forces: Soldiers Part II -Director's Cut
  • Lee's Story (The Slave Breakers, #3)
  • Remastering Jerna (Remastering Jerna, #1)
  • No Beginning, No End (Stockholm Syndrome, #3)
  • Esperanza
  • With a Bullet (Shadow of the Templar, #3)
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
I'm the author of The Administration Series, a near-future SF dystopia published by Casperian Books. You can find the series in paperback, e-book, or (partly) on line at the Mannazone website.

I've been writing original slash since 2002 — or homoerotic fiction, m/m romance, yaoi, as you prefer. Original slash is my personal term of choice because I feel it best represents my writing in terms of sty

The Administration (10 books)
  • Mind Fuck (The Administration, #1)
  • Games & Players (The Administration, #3)
  • Control (The Administration, #4)
  • Quis Custodiet (The Administration, #5)
  • First Against the Wall (The Administration, #6)
  • For Certain Values of Family (The Administration, #7)
  • Family Values (The Administration #7.1)
  • Blood & Circuses (The Administration, #8)
  • Corpora Delicti (The Administration, #9)
“Anonymous dark hotel room, not one of Toreth's regular places. Anonymous hands on him, anonymous cock inside him. He liked it. He wanted it. Doing, not feeling. A safe, familiar thing and it was good. Or at least it stopped him thinking. When they had finished and were dressing, the man whose name he hadn't asked said, "Tell Warrick I said hello."
Toreth nearly choked. "What?"
"After hearing his name so many times, I feel like I know him." He didn't have an answer to that.”
8 likes