Jump to ratings and reviews

A TYRANNY OF GOD

A TYRANNY OF GOD is a story about obsession and the triumph of love over the ruthless machinations of fate.

On a stormy night in October 1943, a small frightened boy flees the Gestapo as they round up the Jews of the Roman ghetto.

Plucked from the dragnet by an aged priest and his two perverse assistants, the child is sheltered in the rectory of a nearby church where a feeble-minded scullery maid and six slobbering mastiffs become his new family. When the war ends in 1945, he enters the seminary and becomes a priest.

Newly minted Father Adamo Di Domenico is a conflicted individual who constantly finds fault with both himself and his adopted religion as he struggles with the hypocrisy and injustices that surround him and the contradictions in his own life. For criticizing the Church in print, he is summoned before a Vatican tribunal and banished from his native Rome to a parish in the far reaches of Canada. Here he begins a slide into madness, engaging in an erotic relationship with a young nun and descending deeper and deeper into a well of guilt and despair.

While delivering a lecture on the Lost Jewish Library of Rome, he is inadvertently reunited with his only sister thought to have perished at Auschwitz. But their meeting comes with a curse. The father they never knew has died and left the siblings an inheritance so controversial and morally compromising that the Church will do anything, even murder one of its own sons, to obtain it.

508 pages, Kindle Edition

Published September 21, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

francesco-rizzuto.medium.com

4 books4 followers
Everybody's favourite Emmanuel Goldstein. Lives in LaLa Land. Hangs out at https://www.francesco-rizzuto.medium.com. Visit my website at www.francescorizzuto.com for a few drinks and free downloads of my novels and short stories.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (100%)
4 stars
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews
Profile Image for K.T. McColl.
Author 13 books98 followers
March 1, 2018
A Tyranny of God is a remarkable accomplishment. Covering over five decades, it lays bare the terrible brutality of the Second World War, its lingering consequences, and the breathtaking mendacity of the RC Church in enabling it all.

In the novel, the reader follows the life of Adam Di Domenico, a Jewish boy adopted into the Church towards the end of the war, later becoming a priest, his heritage hidden. Through Adam, the reader is drawn into a world of political duplicity and deceit, which is nowhere more telling than in the Church's complicity in providing safe passage to Nazi war criminals at war's end.

If this political backdrop isn't compelling enough, the author manages to weave an intensely personal story, which sees Adam, now exiled by the Church to Canada, reunited with his sister, whom he believed lost in Auschwitz.

It's impossible to do justice to the various subplots in a short review; suffice it to say that this is a truly compelling read, from the opening pages through to the end. On the one hand, it celebrates the individual human spirit, while on the other pillorying organizations that would subvert that spirit to nefarious ends.

Not only is this novel clearly meticulously researched, it is also exceptionally well-written. If you're a fan of historical fiction, do yourself a favor and add A Tyranny of God to your must-read list.
July 8, 2017
I read this book on Wattpad and loved it. The writing is beautiful and the characters engaging. A dark and rather gothic story that sucked me right in. You need to stick with it through the first part that has a lot of religious background because the protagonist is a little orphan boy who hides inside a church in Rome during the German occupation then later he becomes a priest. The action ramps up when he gets exiled to Canada and hooks up with a nun for some hot sex. I won't give away any spoilers. A very sensitive piece of writing with a heady mix of politics and sex. Not an erotic novel as such but still it held my interest until the very end. I felt close to the characters and they really made me think about how the world works. Recommending this book to anyone who enjoys a thought provoking and highly entertaining read.
2 reviews
July 8, 2017
I thought I was watching a movie with a great plot and multiple climaxes coming one after another. It was like riding on a roller coaster. Before you surf downward, you are excited already with the details preparing for the big surf, then you are taken from peak to peak and you don't want the ride to stop.

This novel reveals the truth about the Catholic church business. It is like the Holocaust where you know about it but you don't want to talk about it. I have to take my hat off to the writer, he has the courage to tell the truth to his audience.

I purchased this book last year on Amazon but it's available on Smashwords and other platforms.
1 review
March 3, 2017
This is an interesting story from a historical standpoint. I wasn't sure if I was reading historical fact or fiction, it's so well told from an insider's POV, the omnipresent fly on the wall. A lot of attention to character development and detail here. An excellent and engrossingly read.
2 reviews
March 11, 2017
I thought I was watching a movie with a great plot and multiple climaxes coming one after another. It was like riding on a roller coaster. Before you surf downward, you are excited already with the details preparing for the big surf, then you are taken from peak to peak and you don't want the ride to stop.

This novel reveals the truth about the Catholic church business. It is like the Holocaust where you know about it but you don't want to talk about it. I have to take my hat off to the writer, he has the courage to tell the truth to his audience
8 reviews
April 19, 2019
This book immersed me into the surreal era of WWII social trauma with the tragic events of the rootless persecution of the Jewish people by the Nazis with the blessings of the Catholic Church.
The book is fascinating with its convoluted story of plots within plots, presenting rich characters that feel real and convincing.
The story appeared so authentic and informative that made me forget I was reading a fiction novel.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.