Start by marking “Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World” as Want to Read:
Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World

Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  10,967 ratings  ·  1,061 reviews
Anxiety is at an all time high, but there's a prescription for dealing with it. Max Lucado invites readers into a study of Philippians 4:6-7 where the Apostle Paul admonishes the followers of Christ, "Do not be anxious about anything . . ."

Philippians 4:6 encourages the believer to "be anxious for nothing." As Lucado states, the apostle Paul seems to leave little leeway he
Published September 5th 2017 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Anxious for Nothing, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Patricia Fuller Based on Philippians 4:4-8. “Do Not Be Anxious about Anything.” Pastor Lucado, helps us in this ‘anxious’ world how not worry, fear, anger, feel lost …moreBased on Philippians 4:4-8. “Do Not Be Anxious about Anything.” Pastor Lucado, helps us in this ‘anxious’ world how not worry, fear, anger, feel lost (basically all emotions of anxiety). Worried about tomorrow? What good does that do? Yesterday is gone. Our God is in control; He will take care of everything if you just ask. Pastor Lucado gives us the tools, referring bible verses, to live peacefully, without anxiety. I will refer to this book probably many times when I begin to ‘worry’ about anything. (less)

·  10,967 ratings  ·  1,061 reviews

Start your review of Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World
Ellen Gail
I think it's time I admit that I'm not going to finish this.

I'm not finding it meaningful or interesting, and I'm tired of it sitting on my nightstand and judging me for not reading it.
Mackenzie Lane
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've dealt with copious amounts of social anxiety in the past, and still do from time to time, but thank you, Jesus (!!!) I've taken active steps outside of my comfort zone with the sole intent to eradicate the anxiety. I'd highly suggest taking an acting class, improv class, gym class, any sort of group activity that puts you in a room of strangers, and miles & leagues outside your comfort zone. (I've done all three of the previously suggested & paired them all with prayer, and my anxiety is at ...more
Kelly Hodgkins
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has a message worth hearing whether you are stressed out and need to calm down or as a reminder to remain living a calm life.

Max Lucado keeps a sense of humor alongside the wisdom, I love his anecdotes which make the truths easier to remember and the overall tone is one of hope. I love the way each line of the key verse is broken into practical, tangible ways to live it out and counter anxiety. The acronym C.A.L.M. sums it up beautifully.

I am inspired by the premise of the book, those
Rachel A.  Dawson
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-rad-reads, faith
I flew through this one quickly during a lunch break before we recorded a podcast where one of our team members interviewed Lucado about anxiety -- it's a good read, a quick read, and nothing mind-blowing. There were some helpful, meaningful nuggets here, but it felt more like a "Hey, Max Lucado, you're a popular author, write about this hot topic!" kind of situation than a truly heartfelt book about anxiety. Not a winner for me personally, but one I think will really be helpful for a lot of peo ...more
Samuel Wayne Allen
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I'll be honest, anxiety isn't really something I struggle with; I only read this book because the cover made me happy! And who was it that said you can't judge a book by its cover?!
Meg
Nov 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Is there a zero star option?
I was unfamiliar with this author and picked up the book as a person of faith who found the title appealing.

Let me sum up and save you the trouble: Lucado uses the Bible to shame and man-splain to you why your clinical anxiety disorder is invalid. Abandoned at 70% through during a diatribe about how God tells us how to avoid anxiety, and if you’re still anxious, you just aren’t listening closely enough.

**Bonus!** Includes a telling of the Unjust Judge parable that I T
Antonella
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Christian nonfiction!!
With some great examples and overall good vibes...
If that is your thing I recommend it...
However, I don't think this will benefit much to people with severe anxiety...

"Don’t worry over anything whatever; tell God every detail of your needs in earnest and thankful prayer, and the peace of God which transcends human understanding, will keep constant guard over your hearts and minds as they rest in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7
Shannon (leaninglights)
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good quick read and reminder to stop and give it over to God.
Donna
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was not what I was expecting (which happens a lot because I don't often read the jacket beforehand. I should, but I don't.) I was actually pleasantly surprised by this. Max Lucado uses scriptures to combat anxiety.

In some other reviews, people mentioned they were offended because they felt the author was saying you can pray away anxiety. TBH, I didn't get that message. I thought he was just saying turn over to God what you can. And to have trust even in darkness. There were some usefu
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful.

The title "Anxious For Nothing" isn't a gentle scold on being anxious for no reason. The book acknowledges that there are many things in life that cause us anxiety. Rather, the book is about trusting God in such a way that gives Him control over our anxieties and leaves us exactly that...anxious for nothing. "Because the Lord is near, we can be anxious for nothing."

This is my first Max Lucado book, so I was a bit surprised at its actual brevity; only 152 pages of narrative
Leslie M.
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a number of Lucado’s books, and I’ve yet to be disappointed. This book was a bit shorter than I expected (and I would’ve loved it to have been longer!), but there is so much information to be gained in it that I took my time reading it.

The overall message of this book is based on what Paul said in Philippians 4:6: “Be anxious for nothing.” And if someone had a reason to be anxious, it was Paul! Yet, he was able to live in joy. If he can do it, anyone can. Lucado offers tips and encoura
Angie
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I suffer from anxiety... ughhh it's awful. I'm always looking for advice and a fix for it. I've read a lot of books on it but this was the first book I've read that was about God and anxiety. Trust me.. I pray about it, but this book gives some specific scriptures to read and an entire section in the back of the book with a bible study on it. The study even includes meditations to read. I recently discovered a large online bible study called Proverbs 31 Ministries online bible study and have enj ...more
Jenna | JennaStopReading
I see where Lucado was going with this book. I see what he has trying to do. I see how the scripture tied in and how, when following these guidelines/ideas, a person with situation based anxiety could really benefit from this book.

However - as a person with real, diagnosed, clinical anxiety, and also a lifelong Believer, I found this book insulting. You can’t pray away your anxiety. You can’t read your Bible more to discover the sovereignty of God to reach an all encompassing inner peace. When
Rob McFarren
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Eh. It's popcorn reading with a total misunderstanding of anxiety as worry. Every example given is regarding propping up belief by staying committed to that belief no matter what. Sound simple? Sure, if all you are doing is worrying about external circumstances and it's impact on you... without going to the deep places.

This book does not even come close to addressing existential anxiety or angst. It missed all clinical and psychological aspects other than in passing glances to point back to beli
Kym McNabney
When I see the name MAX LUCADO my interest is captured. When I ran across ANXIOUS FOR NOTHING: FINDING CALM IN A CHAOTIC WORLD, I ordered it immediately. I have run across many in my life that struggle with anxiety. I think if we were honest, most of us do in one form or another, at different times in our lives.

ANXIOUS FOR NOTHING goes beyond what the title may first bring to mind. Anxious comes in many levels. We all have feared, worried, wanted to know what is going to happen ahead of time. W
Brittany
If you want to read/listen to a sermon about anxiety than you will enjoy this book, but I was wanting somehting more. I have never read a Max Lucado book, so maybe that is just his style. it wasn't bad, but I am not an overly religious person and didn't get what I was looking for in this one.
Varina Denman
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I probably should read this book once a month. 😳
Mindy Clark
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent. I listened to the audio version and the reader was perfect as well. Very enlightening!
Sarah Marie
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars. I really needed this. It was light, but hitting a lot of great points. (I've decided to change my rating down a star after some time.) Review to come.
Jerry
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Max Lucado hits it out of the park once again!
Jammin Jenny
I found this audiobook on dealing with anxiety very uplifting. It comes at the problem from a very Christian perspective, saying that a lot of the time our anxiety is brought on by things beyond our control, and we basically need to focus on God. If you believe in a higher power, and have anxiety issues, you might find this book helpful.
Danielle
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I grabbed Anxious for Nothing on a whim when I saw the lovely cover at my library. I expected a moving self-help book to help with my anxiety, instead I got a repetitious, mediocre story.

Lucado repeated the same scripture while making the same point throughout the book. As I began each chapter, I expected something new and refreshing, but I didn't find it. I did enjoy how quickly it went by.

On a side note, as a Catholic I caught on to some bitter, negativity towards our beliefs.

For those still w
I really enjoyed listening to this book. The narrator had a calming voice, and Lucado’s writing style was easy to process and learn from. Many solid truths were discussed and explained in simple and tangible ways, and even though many of the topics were things I was already aware of, I found the entire book very encouraging and a blessing to my life.
Grace
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Helped me in a tough time.
Good stuff!
Rose Crawley
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I remember when I was first diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (which also was not long ago) I was angry with God. I knew people suffered from it but, I automatically due to the severity of it blamed God and thought “what did I do to deserve this!” Now looking back, that was a normal reaction. I am glad I picked up this book because now after not being angry anymore, although sometimes I still get waves of anger, I can trust God more. We should always give our problems and anxieties to God and n ...more
David Eiffert
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“We rest in him, find our nourishment in him. His roof of grace protects us from storms of guilt. His walls of providence secure us from destructive winds. His fireplace warms us during the lonely winters of life. We linger in the abode of Christ and never leave.”

This is classic Max Lucado. I mean that in a good way. It's warm, heartfelt, and comforting for an anxious guy like me. Nothing mind-blowing or paradigm-shifting, just good reminders about trusting God. This is pure comfort food.
Ciara Wilkie
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is more for people who haven't discovered Christianity or are very new to it. I didn't think it helped me other than saying we shouldn't worry because Jesus. Christians can have anxiety and it's more practical to tell us ways to deal versus not to worry.
Amber Weinberg
Dec 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Thought this was a real book on anxiety, instead it reduces a disease to some mumbo-jumbo Christian BS. If someone had cancer or diabetes would these same people tell you all you need is prayer? Doubtful 👎🏻
Haley Arzt
A++ I will definitely read this again and probably give it to 5 or 6 people for Christmas gifts.
Erin Laramore
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As we've just had week 1 of the Carona Virus scare, this was a very timely read! Though since this was written with less-specific anxiety in mind, this is a good reference for anyone who has dealt with general anxieties - typically due to circumstances beyond our control. Focusing on the passage in Philippians 4 that tells us to not be anxious about anything, Mr. Lucado gives us a 4 step process using the acronym CALM (Celebrate God's goodness, Ask God for help, Leave it with Him, Meditate on go ...more

• Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
  • It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
  • Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely
  • Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living
  • Everybody, Always: Becoming Love in a World Full of Setbacks and Difficult People
  • Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World
  • Chasing Vines: Finding Your Way to an Immensely Fruitful Life
  • Dangerous Prayers: Because Following Jesus Was Never Meant to Be Safe
  • Battlefield Of The Mind: Winning The Battle In Your Mind
  • Fervent: A Woman's Battle Plan to Serious, Specific and Strategic Prayer
  • The Best Yes: Making Wise Decisions in the Midst of Endless Demands
  • Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions
  • Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose
  • Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
  • Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence
  • Hidden Potential: Revealing What God Can Do through You
  • Trustworthy - Bible Study Book: Overcoming Our Greatest Struggles to Trust God
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
With more than 130 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing August 2018 and is titled Unshakable Hope.

https:

News & Interviews

“The presence of anxiety is unavoidable, but the prison of anxiety is optional.” 5 likes
“This verse is a call, not to a feeling, but to a decision and a deeply rooted confidence that God exists, that he is in control, and that he is good.” 3 likes