Start by marking “Dark of the West (Glass Alliance #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark of the West (Glass Alliance #1)

Dark of the West

(Glass Alliance #1)

He was raised in revolution. She was raised in a palace. Can their love stop a war? Code Name Verity meets The Winner's Curse in Joanna Hathaway's Dark of the West, a breathtaking YA fantasy debut.

Aurelia Isendare is a princess of a small kingdom in the North, raised in privilege but shielded from politics as her brother prepares to step up to the throne. Halfway around th
Expected publication: February 5th 2019 by Tor Teen

Joanna Hathaway
Apr 17, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

Update 6/22/18: The new cover is now here! Hope you love it as much as I do. :)

Hi everyone!

I finally set-up my author account to share a little (ahem, large) update about Dark of the West... We're getting a NEW COVER! Yes, it's true! I'm really excited to see the fresh look, and can't wait to share it with you all. Unfortunately, there's also a bit of bad news to go along with this. Our pub date is now pushed back to February 5th, 2019.

I know. So very far. BUT... if you head to my website, you c
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Jun 22, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
oh thank god this got a new cover
Hafsah Faizal
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, bittersweet, and lovely, Joanna Hathaway's debut is a gorgeous must-read. Politics and war, star-crossed lovers and secrets held close—the story begins gently, carefully, and builds in careful strokes to a crescendo of clashing emotions and vendettas. I devoured the story in a matter of a few days, a rarity for me.

Lengthier review to come. In the meantime, add this to your lists!
mith
Nov 14, 2016 is currently reading it
Shelves: 2019-publication
lmao my only solace to this coming out next febraury (oh yes) is that it's getting a new cover.

bc like i said before: what a travesty of a cover.
Kat
I've read this book several times now, through many different drafts, and every single time I do I'm amazed all over again how beautiful, how inspiring, how epic, how well-written and gripping and heartbreaking and brilliant this story and Jo are. If you love fantasy, you'll adore this book. If you love historical fiction, you'll adore this book. If you love romance, you'll adore this book. (And NO love triangle! Yay!) If you love friendship, bromance, World War II, fighter planes, horses, balls ...more
Ashlee » Library In The Country
UPDATE: I got an ARC and I’m dying from actual joy. Is this possible? It is now.

_____________________________

Espionage!? Court politics? Forbidden love similar to The Winner's Curse?

Yes. Please and thank you, I'll take it.
Mic
LOVE LETTERS. THE MOST PERFECT BEAUTIFUL LOVE LETTERS IN THIS BOOK I SWEAR I AM TRASH FOR IT.
Shea
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is stunning!
Don’t be fooled by the heart-pounding pace of this book, this story is also beautifully, delicately told and should be savored, page by page. Don’t expect to get any sleep either, Hathaway’s writing had me flipping pages well into the night. A must-read for 2019. This book will be your new favorite!
Leah
I was lucky enough to get my hands on an advance copy of Dark of the West, and I absolutely loved it. The forbidden love between Athan and Ali is heartbreakingly bittersweet, especially as they are inexorably dragged closer and closer to a war neither of them wants. But this book is about more than soldiers and star-crossed lovers. There's also deep friendships, family ties, and shifting political loyalties--plenty of intrigue to keep the pages turning! Can't wait to see this novel on the shelve ...more
Isabel Ibanez
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG guys....this book is so beautiful. I had the privilege of reading this book early on in its journey to publication. The grand sweep of the story takes you from the skies to a glittering court to a war zone. It's lush and evocative, the writing is incredible lyrical...I could go on and on. Pick this one up, you won't regret it!
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
6/22/18
Update: Cover is now model free, yay! A little but tame and standard but that's okay with me lol
---
Another unappealing cover of a girl in a dress, woo...*eye roll*
Radhika
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The is one of the best -- if not the best -- young adult series I've read in a long time. It has everything: war, love, action, spies, intrigue and it's political and smart. The author has clearly done her research on WWI and WW2 geopolitics in creating this fascinating world and even more fascinating characters. (I've been lucky enough to review an early copy of book 2, and yes, it gets better.)

Oh, and did I mention Hathaway's gorgeous prose? It's got that too. I don't say this lightly, but th
Kamerhe
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
• Have you binge-watched all of Downton Abbey and The Crown and are looking for your next obsession?

• Are you still mad they canceled Reign and need something to fill the void?

• Did you read The Winner's Curse and An Ember in the Ashes and think, This is fabulous! But what if we added WWII-style planes?

If the answer to any of these is yes, Joanna Hathaway's gorgeous DARK OF THE WEST is for you!

Aurelia is a princess of the North, destined to live a pampered life in a comfortably royal world, b
Asma Iceybooks
Apr 09, 2017 marked it as to-read
CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS. THE AUTHOR IS AMAZING. THE TITLE IS AMAZING. THE SYNOPSIS IS AMAZING. GIVE IT TO ME NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Lauren
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pub-tor
Oh my goodness gracious, this series is going to murder me before it’s over. I don’t know how many books are planned, but I’m freaking out thinking of what is to come. I read this all the way through, then reread the prologue, and I’m even more of a mess now. This book is filled with political maneuvering and the machinations of war. And you need to pay attention from the start. It is all told through the perspective of a young princess and a new pilot, who are slowly but desperately caught up i ...more
Lili  Marcus
Nov 30, 2018 marked it as to-read
Got an ARC from Netgalley... Thank you...
Dylan Matthews
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books. Ever.

The story is driven as Athan, son of a fearsome military leader, is sent to spy on princess Aurelia. Too often in fantasy love stories do I see the romantic plot take over, and a war just becomes a backdrop. Not here. In fact, it was the politics that really drew me in.

It begins with Athan's family, who each have their own specific talent of war. His father is a man who united ragtag nations and created a formidable army that continues to conquer. His oldest brothe
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-blurbed
Smart, stunning, and swoonworthy, Dark of the West completely swept me off my feet!!!

This is a story I feel like I could re-read several times and still catch new details. It's bold, complex, and one-of-a-kind--in other words, a treasure.

Don't miss it!
Hema Penmetsa
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve had the pleasure of reading this novel pre-publication. All I can say is I’m in awe of the author’s many talents—it’s hard to believe this is her debut. She writes with flourish and confidence, even as she sketches the delicate scenes--those that explore the unspoken emotions and unbreakable trust between siblings and true friends--with such a light and gentle touch that they leave the reader trembling, wanting to be a part of those scenes.

Fighter pilots, princes, princesses, ambassadors an
Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books)
04/18/18: Via the author’s IG, this book has been pushed back until February 2019 due to a cover change! Which is fine since I’m not really a fan of the original but...wow, so long from now! :(

******

A The Winner’s Curse comp title? GIMMMMMMEEEEEEE.
Rebeca
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Where do I even begin?😍😭❤ I LOVED this story, Joannas writing style was absolutely amazing, once I started to read Dark Of The West I couldn’t put it down. ❤ It was amazing and intriguing, beautifully well written and full of secrets, betrayals, politics and love❤ This is a must read and OMG I NEED THE SECOND BOOK NOW!!!! ...more
Hesione
Sep 13, 2017 marked it as to-read
YA fantasy in a 20th-century setting is so rare. gimme.
Elora   Cook
Dec 07, 2017 marked it as to-read
I already know this is going to be epic. GIMME NOW *heart eyes* * grabby hands*
Hannah
Not sure where my feelings sit on this one - probably somewhere between a 3.5-3.75 and maybe at a stretch the full 4 stars (but not quite).

While a great concept and a wonderful world (though at times a bit shaky keeping up with all the details on who is who), I'm not sure I was able to connect with the two main characters as much as I'd like to, which for me brings an entire novel down. I'm not a dual POV person when it's written in first person, especially when it happens midway through a chap
Anna
Dec 13, 2018 marked it as to-read
So thankful I received an ARC for this book! Can't wait to read!!
Claire
Nov 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
I was approved for an egalley of this on Netgalley! Can't wait to dive in!
C.L. McCollum
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yet another ARC I was thrilled to luck into! Man talk about super intricate politics here! Backstabbing and assassinations and secret letters and star crossed lovers and complicated families and and and... This was just really well done, is what I'm saying LOL. If political intrigue is your thing, then definitely check this one out when it releases!
Minni Mouse
Nov 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: coming-soon
Bold move, marketing this to The Winner's Curse fans. Prepare to be judged irrationally.

Jack McBride
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Joanna is a master of character development. Even the supporting actors jump off the page with life, and I found myself sympathizing with every one of them. The characters are very much human, and Joanna shows how delicate and gray morality can be.

Her world is beautiful and bright, with just the right streaks of gloom. The tension is exciting, the action breathtaking, and the romance contagious.

This is not a genre I would usually pick up, but I am very, very much glad I did.
Mary Seaman
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
ARC provided by Netgalley for an honest review.

I'm not sure where to begin with this one. It was an interesting read and I loved Athan. I read from other reviews how amazing the love letters are in here and they weren't lying. I need an Athan to write me letters like that.

However, I just didn't love Ali. Yes, her character did develop and she became stronger and more assertive, but I don't know, I just wasn't excited watching her story progress. I'm hoping maybe I will like her more in the seco
Joanna was born in Montréal and is an avid storyteller who was inspired to write after reading her great-grandfather’s memoirs of the First World War. A lifelong history buff, she now has shelves filled with biographies and historical accounts, and perhaps one too many books about pilots. She can often be found reading, traveling, or riding horses.

Her debut novel, DARK OF THE WEST (Tor Teen, Febru