Start by marking “The Highwayman (Walt Longmire, #11.5)” as Want to Read:
The Highwayman (Walt Longmire, #11.5)

The Highwayman

(Walt Longmire #11.5)

When Wyoming highway patrolman Rosey Wayman is transferred to the beautiful and imposing landscape of the Wind River Canyon, an area the troopers refer to as no-man's-land because of the lack of radio communication, she starts receiving “officer needs assistance” calls. The problem? They're coming from Bobby Womack, a legendary Arapaho patrolman who met a fiery death in th ...more
Audible Audio
Published May 17th 2016 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about The Highwayman, please sign up.
Terry Mulcahy There was noted that, while the roof of the tunnel had been cemented long ago, there was evidence of fresher patching. Walt actually inspects the…moreThere was noted that, while the roof of the tunnel had been cemented long ago, there was evidence of fresher patching. Walt actually inspects the ceiling, suspecting that the coins could be there, but concludes that the bolts he sees are to help stabilize the ceiling, and the only reason for the patches. The men who stole the coins worked for WYDOT. The story ends with the coins, having been loosened from the concussions and explosions, "...cascading from the ceiling of the tunnel...." They were stashed in there, and had slowly been leaking out. Womack's innocence was proved because he never had the coins. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jessica Good question. I was so intent on listening to the audio book, that this incongruity passed me by!

Linda
"There is a canyon in the heart of Wyoming carved by a river called Wind and a narrow, opposing, two-lane highway that follows its every curve like a lover."

Craig Johnson truly has a way with words. He can describe a scene in the dry desert or in the heights of the mountains like no other. He can infuse incredibly humorous banter between his characters like no other.

The Highwayman is a book of small stature being only 190 pages long. I grabbed it in a greedy manner from my library and worked my
✨Susan✨
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I miss Walt so much, this novella was great and I am looking forward to the next book on this fantastic series. Walt and Henry have to help out a fellow officer/friend who is having some trouble in the field. A little bit of hocus pocus goes on until the mystery of a former officers death is solved. Loved it. George Guidall is still one of my favorite narrators.
Julie
The Highwayman by Craig Johnson is a 2016 Viking Books publication.

It feels like it’s been forever since the last Longmire novel and forever since there were any new episodes of ‘Longmire’ to watch on Netflix. So, I have been seriously jonesing for a Walt Longmire fix.

So, thankfully, this novella came along a kept me from having some nasty withdrawal symptoms.

A good storyteller is what makes a ghost story affective, and we all know Craig Johnson can weave a mighty good tale.

As the story open
Michael
This novella has the structure common to ghost stories that turn up in literature: spooky reports, a rational investigation, revelations of karmic elements, and an ambiguous resolution. Rosie is a deputy with the highway patrol who on duty near highway tunnels that cut through the Wind River mountains of Wyoming hears on various nights radio calls from a trooper who died there nearly two decades before, the code for “officer in need of assistance.” This is a dangerous passage near the Arapaho re ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The Highwayman is book 11.5 in the Walt Longmire Series. Well, it's not a book it's a novella, but it's 190 pages long so it feels almost like a "real book"...

I was lucky enough to win a signed copy of this book and in anticipation of An Obvious Fact (book twelve in the series that comes this fall) was this book a pleasant appetizer.

I found the story interesting with an Arapaho patrolman supposedly haunting the Wind River Canyon. Is highway patrolman Rosey Wayman mad or is she really hearing Bo
Mark
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of modern western and police thrillers
Shelves: 2016, western
A shorter novel, albeit 190 pages, about Longmire and Henry being outside their own stomping grounds helping a friend who is plagued by an apparent ghost of an Indian Highwayman who died violently and under the suspicion of robbery.

This story adds little to the continuation of the Longmire tales as with "dry bones", this one is a little sidestep in the realm of the more supernatural kind. That said some of the earlier Longmire tales have more supernatural aspects than this short story does have.
Truman32
Craig Johnson’s amiable sheriff, Walt Longmire is back in his half-novel/novella hybrid (it’s numbered 11.5 in the series) The Highwayman.

Walt is pulled to Wyoming’s desolate Wind River Canyon to help an old friend, highway patrol officer, Rosey Wayman. Rosey has been getting calls on her police band: “officer needs assistance” despite the fact that the canyon’s towering walls should make radio communication near impossible. What’s more, she recognizes the voice asking for help. It’s patrolman
Thomas
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-rural-crime
This is a short, easy book to read, 190p. I read it in 1 day. Walt Longmire, Absaroka County Sheriff, is called on to help a Wyoming Highway Patrol officer who is hearing radio calls from a HP officer dead for thirty years. Her Captain wants to send her for a psychiatric evaluation. Walt and his friend Henry Standing Bear agree to sit with her for a few nights in Wind River Canyon, where she hears the calls.
This is an entertaining story with some buried secrets and a ghost who comes to rescue t
Brenda
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of Craig Johnson's Longmire series, and of the TV show based on it, I was happy to find this short book in my library. It's small in stature, only about 6" by 5", and only 190 pages.

There is a bit of Native American spirituality in all the Longmire books, but Walt isn't buying that as the reason why a Wyoming Highway Patrolman is hearing a voice coming over the police radio frequency at exactly 12:34 a.m. on several nights. The setting, the Wind River Canyon, is spooky enough, but Walt
Lynn
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good novella featuring just Walt Longmire and Henry Standing Bear on a short trip to the Wind River Reservation. I enjoy reading any interaction between these two friends.....especially Henry's non-reaction to Walt's skeptical viewpoint went magical things happen.

There is a brief sighting of one of Margaret Coel's characters.....a red-headed priest from New England which made me chuckle to boot.
Scott
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
**As I continue my Longmire series read, full disclosure requires that I openly admit I am a devoted fan of the Longmire television show (on A/E and now Netflix) and have enjoyed reading the previous books in the Longmire book series that inspired that show even more. With that said, I am still doing my best to provide objective and an honest review. **

“The Highwayman” is a Longmire series novella which takes place between Book 11 “Dry Bones” and Book 12 “An Obvious Fact”. It runs 190 pages, wh
Karl
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Craig Johnson’s latest Walt Longmire book called “The Highwayman”, Johnson sends his Sheriff of Wyoming's Absaroka County on a mission to scenic Wind River Canyon located in central Wyoming, in order to help an old friend. This old friend is the blond haired, blue eyed, freckled faced Rosey Wayman, a Highway Patrol officer. She has been on duty in the canyon, and on some nights, she receives a distress call on her radio from the man, now thirty years dead, who has has also patrolled the canyo ...more
Kathleen (QueenKatieMae)
Could I tell you how much I love Craig Johnson's series and not have you roll your eyes and shout "We know! We know!"? Doubtful.

Could I tell you that his new novella, The Highwayman, is full of mysticism and skepticism both, and it works? Yep.

Could I tell you how much fun it is to read a story about Walt and the Cheyenne Nation, and without Vic, without you screaming "Where's Vic"? Yeah, but you know I miss her, too.

Could I tell you that Craig Johnson is my next husband without you looking at
Wart Hill
excellent, as usual <3
Steven Howes
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is no secret that I am a big fan of Craig Johnson's Walt Longmire series of mysteries. Most of these novels can be read separately and still be enjoyed; but they all contain some tidbits of information or character history that connect the books together so I always advocate reading them in order. Mr. Johnson has also written several Longmire novellas that I gather are not considered as a part of the series but are stories that take place "in between" or "in addition to" the ones in each of t ...more
Kathy Davie
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A short story that comes in at 11.5 in the Walt Longmire mystery series and revolving around a Wyoming sheriff in Absaroka County. The focus is on Trooper Rosey Wayman.

My Take
There are a lot of little stories in this about Bobby and Indian mythology, as Johnson pulls in Walt's previous metaphysical encounters when he attempts to explain to Rosey and himself that Rosey's encounters have a rational explanation…even as Walt doesn't believe what he's saying.

On the annoying side, I don't get why Rose
Cathy Cole
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm such a Craig Johnson fan that I don't care if what he writes is short like this novella or a full-length book, as long as the man keeps writing. As popular as he's become, I have to wonder how on earth he finds the time to write because he always seems to be on tour.

Few people can write dialogue like Craig Johnson, and he proves it again here in The Highwayman. Walt and Henry talk to everyone they possibly can to figure out what's going on with Rosey. They uncover a mystery about a missing
Kasa Cotugno
With each Longmire installment, Craig Johnson develops his depiction of place and interweaving of the spiritual and the adventurous. Much as Tony Hillerman's series, his characters have brought the Wyoming setting closer and yet further, which isn't as contradictory as it sounds given the material.
Lesa
Longmire. Need I say more? Thanks to Jen Forbus, I've been a fan of Craig Johnson's writings for years. I'm particularly fond of his novellas and short stories. Every word is precisely chosen to set the tone, the atmosphere, to build a character. The Highwayman is a ghost story set away from Walt Longmire's Absaroka County. But Johnson does include two important characters from his novels. Walt Longmire's narration of the story is beautifully supported by Henry Standing Bear's knowledge of triba ...more
LJ
First Sentence: There is a canyon in the heart of Wyoming carved by a river called Wind and a narrow, opposing, two-land highway that follows its every curve like a lover.

Highway Patrolman Rosey Wayman has been instructed to have a psychiatric evaluation as she claims received several radio calls of “officer needs assistance,” at exactly 12:34 a.m. from a long-dead Arapaho patrolman, Bobby Womack. She has also found, under mysterious circumstances, rare silver dollar coins, a bag of which Bobby
Grey853
May 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, supernatural
Pop
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read as always. Longmire series is one of my very best favorites with some of my favorite characters. When Craig Johnson ends this series I will just have to start over reading them again, there that good.
Robert Dunn
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Longmire books and the writing of Craig Johnson. But. Don't get me wrong I really liked this story but I can't help but feel a little distanced from it. Longmire is who he is and works best because of the characters that surround him. I like it more when he brings experiences to his home county than when, as in The Highwayman, he finds himself outside those borders. It is a small complaint and perhaps just my own quibble and no one else's. The story was a good one that I enjoye ...more
Homerun2
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent entry in the Sheriff Walt collection. Walt and Henry check out a female trooper's story that she is hearing phantom radio transmissions from a long-dead predecessor. This tale is atmospheric, poignant, other-worldly and exciting. And it is blessedly free from some of the romantic and familial distractions of the longer full-length books.

I was provided an ARC of this novella by Net Galley in return for an honest review.
Harry Lane
Johnson does an excellent job of bringing the reader into the setting of his Longmire books. I also like the glimpses he provides into the culture of the Wyoming tribes. In this particular outing, Longmire is dealing with what seems to be supernatural. Action is fast-paced, but there's an awful lot of coincidence leading up to the conclusion.
Dick Reynolds
This book is probably better described as a novella rather than a novel; it’s 190 pages in paperback form.
Sheriff Walt Longmire and his trusty sidekick Henry Standing Bear are lending a hand to help a highway patrol woman named Rosey Wayman. (Pretty clever of author Craig Johnson to come up with her last name being so close to the book’s title.)
Mysteries abound and include phantom radio transmissions stating that an officer needs assistance, and 1888-O Hot Lips Morgan silver dollars turning
Kevintipple
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a legend regarding the Wind River Canyon in Wyoming. The legend has several pieces including a piece involving a highway patrol officer by the name of Bobby Womack who had a complicated career tragically cut short in a fiery crash decades ago. It is a place where strange occurrences are customary, radio communication is still nearly impossible, and very old gold coins appear on the roadway right before major events.

It is according to newly transferred highway patrol officer Rosey Wayma
Hobart
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
We're taught to work independently, but nothing strikes you quite like a 10-78 [Officer Needs Assistance], the urgency to reach a fellow officer in need. It's instinctual to individuals who are trained to respond and risk their lives for each other and complete strangers."

Having been in Wyoming Law Enforcement for so long, he knows pretty much every officer in the state. One such person is Rosey Wayman, a Highway patrolman who's having some
Dragonlady
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fans will rejoice at this quirky new adventure that finds Wyoming Sheriff Walt Longmire and his longtime friend Henry Standing Bear exploring a different sort of mystery taking place in the rugged, wild country of Wind River Canyon. It seems that Rosey Wayman, an outstanding patrolman assigned to the canyon, has been hearing and seeing things that simply cannot exist. While on duty, at precisely 12:34 a.m. she frequently hears a patrolman calling in a code 10-78, which means Officer Needs Assist ...more
Tim
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Longmire returns in a novella by Craig Johnson, and once again Walt is faced with something that isn't easily explained away using logic and reason involving what appears to be a spirit of a deceased local Native American trooper, causing him to investigate a series of events allegedly involving his ghost, and a young attractive female trooper recently assigned to his former post.
Henry puts Walt in touch with those from the area who had relationships and/or knowledge of the events leading up to
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page count 11 35 Sep 24, 2017 04:13AM
Goodreads Librari...: edit latest in Walt Longmire series 4 18 Jun 07, 2016 05:43PM
  • The Shadow Dancer (Wind River Reservation, #8)
  • The Devil's Colony
  • A Killing Winter  (Inspector Akyl Borubaev, #1)
  • Hard Rain
  • Helsinki Blood (Inspector Kari Vaara, #4)
  • Bad Traffic: An Inspector Jian Novel
  • One More River (The Forsyte Chronicles, #9)
  • Fool Me Once (Tarot Mystery, #2)
  • The Black Stiletto: Stars & Stripes  (The Black Stiletto #3)

Craig Johnson an American novelist, short story writer, and playwright. . He lives in Ucross, near Sheridan, Wyoming, population 25.

Johnson has written twelve novels featuring Sheriff Walt Longmire: The Cold Dish, Death Without Company, Kindness Goes Unpunished, Another Man's Moccasins, Junkyard Dogs, The Dark

Walt Longmire (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire, #1)
  • Death Without Company (Walt Longmire, #2)
  • Kindness Goes Unpunished (Walt Longmire, #3)
  • Another Man's Moccasins (Walt Longmire, #4)
  • The Dark Horse (Walt Longmire, #5)
  • Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire, #6)
  • Hell Is Empty (Walt Longmire, #7)
  • As The Crow Flies (Walt Longmire, #8)
  • A Serpent's Tooth (Walt Longmire, #9)
  • Any Other Name (Walt Longmire, #10)
“I've done some crazy things in my life, but asking women their age isn't one of them.” 2 likes
“It was strange the paths the human heart chose to take and the attachments it made along the way. The surest sign of the altruistic nature of the organ is its ability to ignore race, color, creed, and gender and just blindly love with all its might—one of the most irrefutable forces on earth. They” 0 likes