Start by marking “Eric ” as Want to Read:
Eric

Eric (Discworld #9)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  48,493 Ratings  ·  1,384 Reviews
Eric ist der jüngste Dämonologe der Scheibenwelt. Er beschwört nicht nur Tod und Teufel, sondern auch Rincewind, den unfähigsten Zauberer der Galaxis. Und dafür stehen ihm drei handelsübliche Wünsche frei: ewiges Leben, Macht und die schönste Frau der Weltgeschichte. Eric, Rincewind und die bissigste Truhe der Galaxis geraten in ein turbulentes Abenteuer, bis alles schiefg ...more
Published 2011 by Piper (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Eric, please sign up.
Ani Yes, this is a basic Discworld book, and like most, it can be read out of order. You get a good sense of whom Rincewind is from this story alone.

Patrick
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt surprisingly lukewarm about this book, given that it's written by one of my favorite authors of all time.

Part of this was the fact that it's some of his earlier work. (It's odd to think of an author's 9th book in a series as "early" work) In my opinion his later stuff was much, much stronger.

Also, I feel I should mention here that this isn't my first time reading Eric. Not my second time, either. It was, however, my first time reading this particular version, the illustrated version.

And
Trish
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a romp! And I mean that in the best possible way! The last book featuring Rincewind wasn't too much to my liking but this much shorter novel was perfect from start to finish.

It's about the titular Eric, who is a teenager who dabbles in the art of summoning demons like his grandfather. For some reason unknown at the beginning, the "demon" he summons is the wizard Rincewind, who was left in the Dungeon Dimensions in the 5th Discworld novel. However, the 13-year-old isn't ... well ... isn't th
Siria
Eric is an oddity. Although it's the ninth Discworld novel to be published, it feels curiously scrappy and unfinished, like a fragment of juvenilia. It's set up as a parody of Faust; it feels like there's a lot more that could have been done with the novel based on this premise. In fact, it feels like there is a lot more set up to happen from this premise, but it never comes about. Eric is one of the most barely sketched in of all of the Discworld characters, for all that he is the person whose ...more
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical, funny
Technically I've read Eric out of sequence, but as anyone who has been following my reread of the greatest sequence of fantasy novels ever written will know, I've been "reading" the audiobooks whilst "running" around in circles and at 126 pages Eric is certainly not suited to such a thing. Especially when I am lucky enough to have a first edition paperback complete with beautiful Josh Kirby full colour illustrations. My rating will certainly reflect an extra star for being able to enjoy such lov ...more
Lyn
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sir Terry Pratchett’s 1990 Discworld offering (and 9th in the series) sees a return of Rincewind in this most Douglas Adamsesque of his books.

A subtle parody of Goethe’s Faust, we find a young Ankh-Morpork demonologist, Eric, who has drawn a magic circle to summon a demon and instead brings Rincewind to his home. Discworld fans and readers may recall that Pratchett left Rincewind in the dungeon dimensions at the end of his 1988 novel Sourcery.

I have to concede that the Rincewind novels have not
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor, 2018-shelf
This is my second read and my reaction is pretty much the same as the first time.

Rincewind is funny.

Or rather, the situations he always gets into showcases the Discworld in awesomely epic ways and we always get vast adventures. Usually with some kind of weird sidekick and a healthy dose of Death.

All true, sure, but what if Rincewind was mistaken for a demon, summoned by a nerdy kid who insists that he is, because, after all, Rincewind came at his demon summoning. :)

Or how about Discworld's versi
Paul O'Neill
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“It’s Death, Archchancellor,” said the Bursar patiently.
“Eh?”
“It’s Death, sir. You know.”
“Tell him we don’t want any,” said the old wizard, waving his stick.

And that’s the reason you should read Pratchett.....
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group. For me this is the second time I've read this, and the first time as a purely text book. Back in the day I had a copy of this edition: Eric with the Josh Kirby illustrations.

Rincewind, last seen in dire peril (as always) in Sourcery, is summoned from Hell by a teenage demonologist. What follows is a typical Rincewind travelogue from ridiculous situation to ridiculous situation all with deeply witty and sarcastic commentary, both ar
Antonio
3.5

A diferencia de otros libros de la saga esta es una historia lineal y completa con su inicio, desarrollo y cierre. Tenemos el esperado regreso de Rincewind que esta vez acompañara a Eric un demonologo adolescente que tiene tres deseos, los deseos que todo hombre, ejem, ejem, todo adolescente varón quiere, iremos viendo como el obtendrá sus deseos pero nada de lo que quería.

No le doy mas estrellas porque es muy corto y no tan gracioso. Creo que lo que me hace continuar la saga es el personaj
David Sarkies
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Pratchett
Recommended to David by: I had read the other ones
Shelves: comedy
Rincewind goes to Hell
9 February 2013

Eric seems to be that Discworld book that was written after Guards Guards and before Moving Pictures that nobody ever mentions. In fact having a glance over the comments on Goodreads it seems that it is not all that liked, and when I asked my friend who loves anything that Terry Pratchett writes, he simply said that it was okay, it has its moments, but not one of his best. Mind you we both agreed that the part where they travel to Discworld's version of the
Celise
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“There's a door."
"Where does it go?"
"It stays where it is, I think.”

Not nearly as funny or eventful following Guards! Guards!, but short and thoroughly entertaining. Rincewind may not be everyone's favourite character, but I like the shenanigans he gets involved with.

This is only my ninth Terry Pratchett book and I already feel like this is one of the most important series in my life. You know when you look back on a series wishing you could read it all over again for the first time? I feel o
Jason
May 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If "Eric" were a food, it'd be a hot dog. It feels like Pratchett took random bits of humor that weren't good enough to make it in other books, and mushed them all together. Eric is the lips and assholes of Pratchett's storytelling.

Eric seems to exist soley to resolve the cliffhanger ending of Sourcery, and it does so with a moderately amusing Deus Ex Machina. The rest of the book is more like a Family Guy episode than a coherent novel.
Silvia Kay
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was expecting this book to be a lot worse than it actually turned out to be (i.e. pretty awesome) based on a few people's lukewarm reactions. I really, REALLY enjoyed the portrayal of the Demon King as a pedantic (if slighly burned out) corporate CEO. The social commentary was spot-on, and as for the humour, it was its usual fantastic self. 4 stars.
Gary Sundell
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rincewind, eveyone's favorite wizard is back in Pratchett's take on Faust. Eric a very young demonologIist summons a demon. What he gets is Rincewind. The Luggage is not far behind. Shorter than most Discworld books, but every bit as funny.
Melki
Be careful what you wish for...

or you may find yourself tripping through time with an incompetent wizard and a ferocious suitcase.

You might even wind up in Haitch-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks - the one only Pratchett could invent.

Good fun, but not up to the usual Discworld standards.
Molly Billygoat
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“What a nice man,” said Eric after awhile. “Um… What are quantum mechanics?”
“I dunno. People who repair quantums I suppose.”

Eric, book nine in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series, is a riot. It stars a pimply, highly intelligent and pompous teenager who is determined to summon a demon so that he might demand riches, glory, and the most beautiful woman alive. What he manages to summon instead is the lovable but luckless Rincewind, well-known by all Pratchett enthusiasts. Eric refuses to accept tha
Noa Velasco
Leerlo en inglés fue una mala idea. No puedo hacer una valoración a fondo porque, no nos vamos a engañar, a veces me perdía.
Sin duda es un título Pratchett 100%, hilarante, preciso, mordaz y con alusiones constantes a cultura clásica y popular: Fausto, La Divina Comedia, La Odisea, religiones precolombinas... y burocracia contemporánea, entre otras.

Adjunto unas citas:

«Then there was silence, the special kind that you get after a really unpleasant noise».

«Even wizards thought demonologists were o
Sam Quixote
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“‘Multiple exclamation marks,’ he went on, shaking his head ‘are a sure sign of a diseased mind.’”

I LOVE TERRY PRATCHETT/DISCWORLD/RINCEWIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem. I aten’t crazy.

Like a lot of people I first read Pratchett when I was a teenager and have stuck with him well into adulthood. So, going through a dry spell in reading where everything I picked up seemed to, well, suck, I was immediately drawn to a small paperback that’d fallen off my shelf - “Eric”, a book I haven’t read
Linda
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018

This had a lot of really great scenes, and of course I loved seeing Rincewind and Luggage again. But I didn’t enjoy it as much as many of the other books in the series up to now. I may rate this higher upon a reread, however. I believe I was a bit distracted while reading this as it took me much longer to read than it should have given the short length.
Anita Reads
I think this may be my least favorite Discworld book so far. It still have some funny moments, but it was a quick read, and I'm always looking forward to read another Discworld book.
Rebecca
I wanted something light and fun and Eric was just that. It was a fun adventure and I enjoyed reading it.
Tinka
“Hell needed horribly bright, self-centered people like Eric. They were much better at being nasty than demons could ever manage”

I really love the Discworld in general. Terry Pratchett created a unique world, full of quirks and the absolute unexpected.

So, this semester I took a class on Goethe’s Faust at university. It was an intensify reading class and it was fun to get deeper into the material and look at one of the ultimate German classics in a different way. The semester is almost over now a
Tana
Dec 08, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor-and-satire
Oh, Eric. Where do I even begin?

Even though it’s probably the shortest Discworld novel (197 pages in large font), it took me weeks to read. This might have had something to do with the obscene amount of schoolwork my teachers decided to heap on me at the time, but usually I will willingly give up homework, television and social life for a new Pratchett book, and I will do it with a grateful and reverent smile on my face.

This one, however . . . not so much.

For one thing I think I may be the only
Mamen B.
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mundodisco, 2017
3/5

Debo de ser de las pocas, pero me gusta la saga de los magos de Mundodisco. La mayoría de la gente dice que es la más floja, pero yo disfruto con ellos un montón. Rincewind tiene un humor que sale impregnando su cobardía y que hace que me parta de risa en los momentos más inesperados.

En este libro volvemos a tener a nuestro "mago" metido en aventuras sin él buscarlas, como siempre, y esta vez acompañado de un joven demonólogo obsesionado con las mujeres y lleno de acné y un loro con un vocab
Eric
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Terry Pratchett
Shelves: fantasy, humor
I picked this up at a used bookstore on Bainbridge Island while on vacation for two reasons -- I really like Sir Terry Pratchett, and this particular novel shares my name. So it seemed like fate I should pick it up. It was so short that I read it mostly in one sitting while still on vacation.

Being the ninth Discworld book, this may sound odd, but you can still tell this is early Pratchett, when he was still feeling out the world and the characters. It's still good, solid work, and it has some gr
Alfred Haplo
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
Pretty fun and not horrid were my concluding thoughts upon reading Eric*. Tipping over 200 pages, this is a mercifully short story giving Rincewind just enough leeway to play his hapless, cowardly wizard with the kind heart but not too many opportunities to irritate. As the very first main character in the very first DiscWorld book *, Rincewind occupies a sentimental spot with fans so I do try hard to see why.

Though iconic, Rincewind has never quite struck me as a particularly compelling charac
Belcebon
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No hay mejor psiquiatra que te ayude en momentos de necesidad que un buen libro de Mundo Disco
Nathan
Complete Discworld Reread

Pay attention, there is a lot going on and less than two hundred pages of large type to get it all in. Rincewind needs out of the Dungeon Dimensions, a young demonologist wants some wishes granted (and needs a cold shower), and several different demons have their own ideas of what should be done. So watch closely, and you will see how the trick is set. Young Eric calls on a demon, Rincewind slips through into the occult circle, and something unknown makes sure Eric gets
Rob
Executive Summary: This was a quick read, even for a Discworld book, but not one of my favorites, especially following the excellent Guards! Guards!.

Full Review
It seems apparent that the Rincewind books are my least favorite sub-series of Discworld. So far I've only really enjoyed The Light Fantastic. It's not that they are bad exactly, they just aren't nearly as good as the City Watch, Death or Witches books have been so far.

I'm not particularly fond of Rincewind either. The best part of his
Cristina Boncea
Terry trebuie să fie la fel de magic ca vrăjitorii din cărțile lui. Finalul aproape că a salvat cartea care nu mi-a plăcut (nota ar fi 2,4999999999999999(9).
Cred că ar fi trebuit să citesc Faust înainte dar știu în mare despre ce era vorba.

Eric e un puști de 13 ani care îl invocă pe Vânturache, un fost vrăjitor acum fantomă sau chiar demon. Vânturache pocnește din degete și cei doi sunt transportați în diferite perioade de timp (Eric își pusese 3 dorințe: să conducă lumea, să trăiască veșnic și
Goodreads Librari...: add illustrator 2 16 May 15, 2018 07:27AM
Terry Pratchett Fans: Group Read: Eric 4 30 Oct 10, 2016 02:00PM
  • The Most Amazing Man Who Ever Lived
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • L'ombre maléfique (Le trône de fer, #4)
  • Grantchester Grind (Porterhouse Blue, #2)

More about Terry Pratchett

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.” 1294 likes
“There's a door."
"Where does it go?"
"It stays where it is, I think.”
461 likes