Start by marking “The Marais Assassin (Victor Legris, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Marais Assassin (Victor Legris, #4)

The Marais Assassin

(Victor Legris #4)

Parisian bookseller Victor Legris finds a new case to investigate very close to home, when his business partner's apartment is burgled. Curiously the only item stolen is a decorative goblet of little value. But on learning that two people have been murdered who were connected to to the goblet, Victor becomes convinced of its secret significance. How quickly can he recover ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Gallic Books (first published September 16th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Marais Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marais Assassin

Dagny
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
This fourth book in the series is not recommended to anyone who is not reading the entire series. The mystery itself didn't get very exciting to me until near the end. My enjoyment of the book was following the latest happenings in the lives of the core characters and seeing how the stolen goblet affected them.
Jim
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france, mysteries
I have become fond of the Victor Legris mysteries by Claude Izner (who is actually two sister booksellers, Liliane Korb and Laurence Lefevre). At times, their plotting is a little overdone, but there are compensations:

* The characters of Victor, Joseph, and Kenji are likeable.
* The stories are set in the Paris of the 1890s, which is a fascinating period about which the Izner pair know a great deal.
* The three heroes are booksllers (when they're not solving murders).
* The love interests are suita
Nino Frewat
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
A disappointment. Not really crime solving; more like thief catching. Loose ends tied up in the end in something that resembles a fairy-like happy ending. But I read this with a group and this was quite a pleasant experience and it reduces any downward pointing feelings I had.
Kristine Brancolini
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed The Marais Assassin, which has a different title in the U.S.; I read a British edition that I bought in Paris at Shakespeare & Company bookstore. I was looking for a book set in Paris and chose this one, fourth in the series, over earlier volumes in the series because we stayed in an apartment near The Marais and I wanted to read about that part of the city. I was somewhat confused because I plopped myself into the middle of a series, but it wasn't a major problem. Yes, t ...more
Ericli
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Jessica Howard
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it
In the first few pages of The Assassin in the Marais a dizzying array of characters are introduced. It soon becomes clear, however, that here in Paris, in 1892, there's a murderer who thinks he is God's emissary hunting for a strange goblet and that the staff of a small bookstore may be the only people able to stop him.

The goblet was stolen from Mr. Kenji Mori, the business partner of bookseller and amateur photographer Victor Legris. Then Antoine du Houssaye, a noted naturalist who had recently
Sara
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this much more - characters deepened, there was suspense from the very beginning, & the exotic mystery was well worked out. The historical setting was fascinating - 1892 anarchist bombings & an early controversy over évolution. I like also their portrayal of the grittiness of Paris & the intermingling of different social classes. Seems I am hooked on these for light reading now!
Kimberly Ann
Jun 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
From Goodreads: "Parisian bookseller Victor Legris finds a new case to investigate very close to home, when his business partner's apartment is burgled. Curiously the only item stolen is a decorative goblet of little value. But on learning that two people have been murdered who were connected to to the goblet, Victor becomes convinced of its secret significance. How quickly can he recover it and end the killing spree, in a city beset with terrorist activity? In this fourth case for the bookselle ...more
Silvia Martinez
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Overall this book was okay. It was more of a slice of life with crime on the side and romance .This book followed Victor,Kenji,and joseph trying to find the missing goblet and the murders that may be linked to it.It also has some romance with Victor and Tasha,Joseph and Iris, and Kenji and Eudoxie. At first this book started with a murder scene that dragged me in.Other than that the book never really described murders with much detail.Even though the Author’s writing was very detailed and caught ...more
A Mig
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, history
Compared to the previous instalments, it took about 30-40 pages to get into the story. Also those first pages assume that the reader already knows all the main characters. They are not really introduced as in the previous books. I really liked to mystery plot that linked to the Paris Natural History Museum and some exotic trip in Asia. However, I would have expected more on that side. Still a very good read!
Pat
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Though I read all of this book, I found it difficult to do so. Being a mystery, I didn't really care who the murderer was, or why he did it. There are too many characters who serve no real purpose.
Elaine Tomasso
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Firstly I would like to thank Netgalley and Gallic Books for a copy of The Marais Assassin which is a mystery set in 1890s Paris. I have not read this series before having only recently acquired an interest in historical fiction, and I felt at a bit of a loss initially trying to identify the characters and their relationships, so it is probably best to start at the beginning of the series.
The novel starts with a murder in Scotland and then the theft of a curiosity from Kenji Mori's apartment. H
Jill Hutchinson
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is the fourth in a continuing series but one doesn't have to read the preceding three to follow the story and the characters of Kenji, Victor, and Joseph. They are well known and respected book sellers in the latter part of the 19th century in Paris who do a little detecting on the side. I read this book in English and found that there was some problems with the translation of the colloquialisms of 19th century France. This sometimes led to awkward sentence structure but that was a min ...more
Carol
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Slogging through this series and it can be a slog but there's a lot of character in this late 19th century Paris romp, spun around 2 booksellers, but told through many narrators, including the unknown murderer. The authors clearly know their city and take the reader through the city neighborhoods at sometimes light speed -- weaving through rag pickers, costermongers, beggars, thieves, artists, poets and the well-to-do; riding an omnibus, eating at cafes and walking by the Seine. The story can be ...more
Amy
Apr 25, 2013 added it
Shelves: 2013
I read the first book of this series and cannot remember one single thing about it except a vague recollection of meh. I picked this up at the library and found it choppy and slow going at first - but perhaps it's the translation. About halfway through, I found myself becoming more interested and zoomed through in one sitting. That being said, I found the mystery aspect boring and totally uneventful, but I really enjoyed the setting and the description of the time period. Also, I kept envisionin ...more
Sonia Almeida Dias
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to Netgalley and Gallic Books for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I liked this book, it was entertaining and the setting being the XIXth century Paris added value to it, as I love that city. Even though this was the fourth book in a series I didn’t find it hard to follow, and the characters were well described and put together. Unfortunately the plot was a bit confusing and I was lost several times trying to understand what was really happening. It didn't help that
Lnaimark
Aug 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
I picked this book up on a whim as I love a mystery, Paris, and the Marais.

Unfortunately, I did not love this mystery. Not even sure why not......it never engaged me, I was often uncertain of relationships between/among characters. Basically, I never cared about any of the victims or the motive and identity of the murderer. Unheard of for me. I kept on reading it, thinking that at some point the book would "gel" for me or that there would be a shocking ending. No.
The book gets good reviews on A
Laura Falby
May 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that I would like this book because it is a murder mystery and historical fiction set in 19th century Paris, but the story is cluttered with too many unnecessary characters and an unwieldy plot. Plus, the writing is poor and the terrible translation from French made me cringe. I never even finished the book. But, I was intrigued enough to go to the library and get the first novel in the Victor Legris series and read it to see if the author started out well and then went downhill. The f ...more
Dan
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have a soft spot for the Claude Izner novels. I love Paris and cheesy mysteries stories, especially those set in the late 19th century (eg. Boris Akunin), so the Victor Legris stories are a lot of fun for me. The Marais Assassin is no better or worse than the others in this series, but the relationships between various characters continue to evolve so I would recommend that an interested reader start with the first (Murder on the Eiffel Tower) and read them in order. I don't think that The Mar ...more
Hannah
May 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
The more I read from the books about Legris I like the characters less. They're mean to not only each other (their comrades!) but also to everyone else. Not very enjoyable since everyone's like this. I can't appreciate any of them anymore and it's somewhat annoying because I like the mysteries and the style of writing. I suppose I'll read the next one as a last chance to the series but after that? I don't know.
Ellen
Oct 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
I guess I am impatient with books that don't suit me right now. It's the second one I've given up on recently. I think that part of the reason is that it's the fourth book in the series. Most readers probably already were acquainted with the main characters who actually seemed quite likable. Oh, well. Maybe I'll try book one - Murder in the Eiffel Tower - someday.
Susie
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I look foward to reading more in this series. There were occasional references to earlier mysteries that i would like to know more about. Turn of the century Paris is fascinating and although there are many characters the main characters and the story kept me reading. there's a bit of Holmes and Poe in this one!
Linda
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Izner evoked the ambiance of belle-epoque Paris quite well. The relationships between Victor and Tasha, Kenji and Eudoxie, and Joseph and Iris, were well developed.

The identity of the anonymous "emissary" and his motive was not revealed until the last couple of chapters. And Monsieur Mori never did receive the goblet, which was a bequest from his late friend.
Lois
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Another enjoyable book in the series. As some other reviewers noted there are a lot of characters so it is probably less confusing if you read the previous books first. I also think it was written in French and translated to English which sometimes impacts the narrative. The plot was intriguing and you can imagine the characters as they lived at the end of the 19th century in Paris
Dianne Lipe
This was the second book I have read by Claude Izner; and, as before, I was sometimes confused. There were lots of characters with strange names to keep straight. I did enjoy the time period and the location of the plot.
Marcy Heller
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it
The 1890s have always fascinated me, as do mysteries that take place in the Paris of yesteryear. I enjoy Izner's books and quirky characters, but find the paragraphs and transitions in his writing somewhat difficult to follow sometimes, hence three instead of four stars.
Elderberrywine
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Knocked down a star for the sheer difficulty in keeping track of who's who, and a bit of flatness to the translation, but this is a very French bit of fluff, and I never suspected the denouement, which is always fun. But, of course, I have been reading the Master as of late.
Heidi
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
another fun romp through Paris with Victor Legris!!
Leah
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Book Four in this series was merely okay, perhaps because I now know the formula.
Thea Klapwald
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Really pleasant. Love the fact that two sisters wrote it. Read it for the characters and the setting. The mystery itself is ho-hum and easy to figure out.

• The Man with the Lead Stomach
  • The Mosaic Crimes (Dante Alighieri, #2)
  • Paris Requiem
  • Paris Under Water: How the City of Light Survived the Great Flood of 1910
  • The Cavalier of the Apocalypse (Aristide Ravel, #1)
  • Monsieur Le Commandant
  • Vets in Love (Talyton St George, #6)
  • Maigret Bides His Time
  • The Illusion of Murder (Nellie Bly, #2)
  • Murder in Provence (Maggie Newberry Mysteries, #3)
  • Provence A-Z
  • That Summer in Cornwall
  • The Abyssinian Proof (Kamil Pasha, #2)
  • Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar
  • Walks in Hemingway's Paris: A Guide to Paris for the Literary Traveler
Pseudonym of Liliane Korb (1940) and her sister Laurence Korb (1951) known as well as Laurence Lefèvre.

Victor Legris (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Murder on the Eiffel Tower (Victor Legris, #1)
  • The Père-Lachaise Mystery (Victor Legris, #2)
  • The Montmartre Investigation (Victor Legris, #3)
  • The Predator of Batignolles (Victor Legris, #5)
  • Strangled in Paris: A Victor Legris Mystery
  • Rendez-vous Passage d'Enfer (Victor Legris, #7)
  • La Momie de la Butte-aux-Cailles (Victor Legris, #8)
  • Le Petit Homme de l'Opéra (Victor Legris, #9)
  • Les Souliers Bruns du Quai Voltaire (Victor Legris, #10)
  • Minuit, Impasse du Cadran (Victor Legris, #11)