Start by marking “Breakout (The Minus Faction #1)” as Want to Read:
Breakout (The Minus Faction #1)

Breakout

(The Minus Faction #1)

An enigmatic mastermind recruits four people with extraordinary abilities and offers them everything they want in exchange for the impossible. But after one of them uncovers a plot to hack the human race, they're not sure which side they're on -- just that not all of them will survive.

"The Minus Faction" is a super-powered speculative thriller in seven novella-length episo
Published November 2nd 2016 (first published August 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Breakout, please sign up.
Rick Wayne Sorry for the delayed response. (Unfortunately, I didn't get notification of your question.) The books are available in paperback from most online…moreSorry for the delayed response. (Unfortunately, I didn't get notification of your question.) The books are available in paperback from most online retailers, as well as from my website: www.RickWayne.com. Amazon will probably have the fastest shipping time.(less)
Rick Wayne You can find this book almost anywhere books are sold online: amazon, barnes & noble, apple store, google play, kobo, etc.

R. A. Desilets
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a serialized piece, so this is only the beginning, but The Minus Faction starts out with a punch in Episode 1: Breakout.

Which, starting out with a punch was consequently the only (stressing: only) flaw in this episode. The reader is hit with a heavy action scene starting on the first page without much room to breathe. But read on a few more pages, and Wayne gives you the time to catch your bearings.

With a bit of suspense, a bit of political conspiracy, and a lot of sympathy for a wounded
Andy Goldman
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me turning the pages from start to finish. It starts as we meet Captain John Regent, a horribly disfigured veteran. His body is trapped in a wheelchair but his consciousness wanders, giving him the superheroic power to hitch a ride in other people’s bodies for a time. As we learn more about John and the shadowy forces that are after him, the pace of the story never lets up. But more than a simple thriller-meets-comic book plot, Wayne gives his characters a realism, depth, and hear ...more
Ronda Reed
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading "The Minus Faction: Episode 1", the latest book from Rick Wayne, I am so excited for the next episode to be released.
I have read all he has written so far, and while I loved the plucky pulp sci-fi mash-up that "Fantasmagoria" was, I think this one is my favorite.

I laughed, I cried, I couldn't put it down until I had finished it in one sitting. John Regent, the protagonist, has been burned, broken, but not beaten as he fights back against injustices the only way he can, transporti
Gina
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, first_reads
For the first bit of this book, I was wondering what was going on. And while everything isn't clear, John Michael Regent is one heck of a badass.

Episode One of The Minus Faction is a hard hitting, fast paced thriller. I read the whole thing in a few hours. There is suspense, conspiracy, friendship, action. This first installment really has it all.

My only complaint is the cliffhanger at the end. I want to know what happens next!

Guess I will be picking up Episode Two right away.

Disclaimer: I won t
Tim H. McEnroe
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story full of meaty characters that I really ended up rooting for. Rick Wayne did a great job keeping me turning pages the entire time, and not only that but I cannot wait until the second episode is released. I definitely recommend this story.
Daniel Swensen
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't care much for Fantasmagoria, but this was amazing. Gritty, concise, gripping, full of heart, brimming with promise. Looking forward to more.
Jennifer Linsky
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel like I should have enjoyed this more than I did. It hits all the right buttons... veterans (and the military in general) presented in a positive light. PoC as the heroes. Good folks doing good things. But somehow, it just... it didn't quite connect for me.
J.T.
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(to be posted at atmorbookreviews.blogspot.com on the morrow)

"That's how they got people to give up their freedoms and to take other people's away. Make it about safety, and never ask for more than a tiny bit at a time."

Rick Wayne's Minus Faction, Episode 1: Breakout is a brutally honest, heart-wrenching thriller. Do you see that first sentence? I struggled to come up with words because I'm still processing everything. Like, I just read it, y'know? AND OH MAN IT WAS SO GOOD! After all the prais
H.N.
This first episode in Rick Wayne's terrific science fiction/superhero novel will take your breath away. In it we meet Captain John Regent, a soldier who's been subjected to unimaginable pain and learned a unique skill that his government would like to know more about. John himself struggles with his ability and what to do or not to do with it. If you've read Rick Wayne's previous novel Fantasmagoria, you know that he writes terrific dialogue. He continues to do so in The Minus Faction, as well a ...more
Becky Soto
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Episode 1 of Rick Wayne's serial novel THE MINUS FACTION had me at the opening sentence. Protagonist John Regent isn't described as a super hero, but he definitely is a unique character and belongs in the super hero union. He doesn't fly around like classic super heroes in a cape, tights and mask. Instead he accomplishes his unexpected deeds by completely using someone else's body. What does that mean? You'll have to read Episode 1 of THE MINUS FACTION to find out. I read the entire episode in o ...more
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fantastic. One of the most interesting and entertaining books I've read in years. Seriously. I am not speaking in hyperbole.

The character development is natural and the author did a fantastic job of showing the reader, not telling the reader. The progression of the story made perfect sense and there was no unnecessary language. Every piece of this episode was important in some way or another.

This is a very compelling read. I was engrossed from the first page and now I'm invested. T
Steven
Rare that I queue up a story/book on my Kindle and finish it in one sitting.

This story grabbed me and didn't let go from the first sentence until the last.

Then I screamed at Rick for hooking me so thoroughly that I now have to track down Episode Two ASAP.

it's what I'd call neopulp and what most bookstores would shelf among the sf/f books, but it's also a superheroic book without capes or masks (or at least that's the vibe I got from it).

Hope Rick Wayne writes fast, as this story's a cracklin
C. Scudder Mead
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fun, fun.

This series is just delightful! The episodes are full of action and not at all predictable. I recommend them to one and all though I must warn... much like watching a tv series with an over arching plot these episodes are a part of something and none of us save Mr. Wayne himself have any idea where it's going yet. Enjoy!
Lin Clements
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superbly put together, you're immediately pulled in. Rick Wayne is not a delicate author with his readers: you're pulled in immediately and taken on a hell of a ride. His writing style is tight, fast-paced, and while I'd say stringent on the descriptions, it paints an incredible picture. This probably was more enjoyable for me than most, as a veteran myself, and it was fantastic.
Tracy Gilson
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great beginning. This is an excellent start to this series. The main character has fabulous depth. This book is well written. Even though it is a series there is an end that will leave you wanting more. Amazing action and mystery.
N.D. Reedurr
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so it begins...

Wow! This first chapter of the John Regent saga begins with a knock down, drag out and ends with an even greater mystery left for our hero to solve.

I was hooked from paragraph one! I'm excited to read what Mr. Wayne has in store for our good Captain.
Grenador
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet. No unnecessary exposition and tough guy acting. Respected the veterans who suffer PTSD and delivered a kick-ass paranormal story to go along with it.
Michelle Carrell
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won
Action packed! It's like the Borne Legacy meets Jack Reacher! I cannot wait to get my hands on the next episode! Seriously, an amazing read!
Jens
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rick Wayne writes without pulling punches. The characterisation is great, the story is fun, the action is packed (hah).

My only minor complaint is that the linguistic style could be a little more challenging. Wayne takes a leaf of Stephen King's writing book, and produces fairly short, simple sentences. It fits the book, and makes for an easy read, so I can't really criticise the choice. It's just that some passages leave me slightly bored from that point of view.

Saying that... I devoured the boo
Eduardo Suastegui
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick Wayne writes with such skill and unassuming ease, his prose is worth the reading if nothing else for the clarity and spark of it. But for two bothersome flaws, the Minus Faction would earn my full five stars.

The flaws? First a technical nit with regards to in-scene character point of view hopping. Had it happened once, I would have ignored it. But it happens often enough as to merit mention from this student of the writing craft. If you don't know what I'm talking about, move on and enjoy t
Ryan Toxopeus
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

It's not often I say I loved everything about a story, but I loved everything about this. The characters had tremendous depth, the plot is rich and complex, and the writing is fantastic. This story has it all.

John has gone through hell, surviving extreme torture. He's suffered life-altering injuries (look at the cover), and has no hope of recovery. His only solace is that he can project his mind out of his shattered body and do some good through others. But he's made plenty of enemies as an
thebonebreaker
I hate to admit this, but this is one of those books that have been sitting in my Kindle app's carousel for who knows how long. (long enough for the covers to change)

Episode Five of this series was just recently released, which jogged my memory of Episode One sitting patiently waiting to be read...
(Episode One is currently Free, on Kindle! Whether this is due to the recent release of Episode Five, I do not know, but I suggest that you download this book ASAP!)

For those of you who have read Ken
Jon Stone
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
DISCLOSURE:I talk with Rick Wayne on social media. That being said, the book was free on Amazon. This is my honest opinion on the book.

The only way I know how to explain this book is that it is like reading an action movie.

Fast paced doesn't begin to describe it. Everything that needs to be said or explained is covered in a no-bullshit, believable way and it covers a lot of plot line in a nice quick read. There's tension, emotion, empathy and the stakes feel real.

John's situation (no spoilers h
Clover Green
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow
Wow, what an awesome combination of action, plot, explosions and general badass-ness! I loved this. It's true that I have a soft spot for veteran stories, but this was so much more than that and the entire series is just too cool for words.
C.M. Skiera
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie, sci-fi
An imaginative, intense read, Breakout is a thriller with sci-fi elements that hint of a clandestine world-wide conspiracy. Follow the enigmatic John Regent as the damaged, disabled veteran finds himself unwillingly tangled into the web of this secretive and powerful organization.
Li
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Quite unexpected, and really enjoyed this story, and am anxious to find out what's next.
Samantha
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhero
Perfectly paced with a fascinating main character and premise, my only disappointment was that it was so brief. I guess I'll have to look into the rest of the episodes.
Ilyanna kreske
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Fantasmagoria
  • Weirdworld, Volume 1: Where Lost Things Go
  • Mutants & Masterminds: RPG
  • Any Port in a Storm (Ayala Storme #2)
  • The Chains That You Refuse
  • Eye for Eye
  • To Charles Fort, With Love
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eleventh Annual Collection
  • Star Trek / Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Grants Pass
  • Murder With Monsters (The Night Shift Files #1)
  • Diary of the Displaced - Omnibus (Books 1-3)
  • Dust Bath Revival (Feral Seasons, #1)
  • When the Hero Comes Home
  • The Fantasy Writer's Assistant and Other Stories
  • The Elven King (Claimed Series, #1)
  • Spirit Hackers
  • The Way of the Black Beast (The Malja Chronicles, #1)
Rick Wayne is a cretinous mass who's dissected a cadaver, climbed the Great Wall, jumped from an airplane, designed sampling systems, swam naked in the Mediterranean, and felt the blast of a terrorist's bomb, although not in that order. When he's not vomiting words, he's planning his next adventure.

He can be found at RickWayne.com.

The Minus Faction (7 books)
  • Crossfire (The Minus Faction #2)
  • Meltdown (The Minus Faction #3)
  • Blackout (The Minus Faction #4)
  • Aftershock (The Minus Faction #5)
  • Shockwave (The Minus Faction #6)
  • Outbreak (The Minus Faction, #7)