Start by marking “Shinobi Life, Vol. 01” as Want to Read:
Shinobi Life, Vol. 01

Shinobi Life, Vol. 01 (Shinobi Life #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  6,253 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Many, many years ago, a ninja named Kagetora devoted his life to protecting Princess Beni (Beni-Hime). Unfortunately, they were attacked and Kagetora was flung into a lake, where he sank to the bottom. He was somehow warped at the future where he saw the princess Beni being threatened.

Little does Kagetora know that Beni is not the real princess, but she is, in fact, the de
Published November 11th 2006 by Akita Shoten (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Shinobi Life, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shinobi Life, Vol. 01

Starbubbles
Mar 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This is tough for me to rate. I was expecting this to be funny. A girl bent on dying in a horribly embarassing way to get back at her dad. I was expecting some fluffy romantic comedy with ninjas. Boy, I was mistaken. While I enjoyed this, it reminds me of a cross of Immortal Rain, the Both Sides of Time series, and Wild Ones. Deception, desperation, love, misunderstanding, ill conceived plans, utter desperation! I think I would have enjoyed this more as a romantic comedy. I've read through volum ...more
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
21/03/2014 - 23/04/2014 ( read, not marking it down electronically yet because it totally defeats the purpose of my challenge!!!)

While I have tried to start this manga before, I am really really glad I read it all the way through this time. The other time, I stopped because I thought it was going to be an insta-love kind of manga, which at first it seemed like it was. But then, I got through the first volume, and then the second, where they time slipped back in time, and then, well I just went w
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
This the story of a ninja who while protecting a princess falls into a lake and is sent back in time to the present. There he mistakes the princess with a look alike (also name Beni), who later turns out to be her...This is one of many manga series I started reading, mainly because I love the cover. I don't know, its cool and cute at the same time. Surprised it hasn't been turned into an anime...yet.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Yes, please! Definitely liked the start to this series, and I have already ordered the next two volumes. This has some great potential.
Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan)
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-shōjo
Shinobi Life is a manga series about an adolescent boy who falls through a time "tear" and travels from historical Japan to the present. Upon his arrival he meets a girl who is the descendant of the princess that he was charged with protecting from his original era. This girl just so happens to look a lot like the princess. Lots of story elements unfold and the two end up falling in love.

Time travel is a HUGE aspect of this series, occurring way more than necessary. I feel like the characters a
Nisha
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Beni is a girl who has been kidnapped many times and is at a point in life when she doesn't care if she lives or dies. Just as she is being kidnapped, a ninja falls from the sky. Kagetora is from the past and is sworn to protect Beni-hime. After a fall into a lake, he is transported to the present and meets Beni. Beni looks the same as his Beni-hime and he protects her as his princess.

This is a cute read. Beni and Kagetora are both very clueless, yet competent (if that makes any sense). Beni do
Melisa Ramonda
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ohhhh!! Este manga, me había encantado en su momento ^^
Sofia

Here's to finding another underrated gem despite a flimsy blurb that lacks substance and does not do it justice.
Nidhi Bhatt
Kagetora, A ninja from the past time travels to present Tokyo where a girl is about the die at the hand of kidnapper. He saves her because she is the same as the Princess Beni he was supposed to protect. Present Beni starts using him as her bodyguard and starts falling in love with him as he dedicates his life to Beni.

However, Beni is pathetic for using her death to revolt against her father. DUH! Teenagers!!!

إيمان❤︎
A Shinobi (ninja), while trying to save a princess who's his mistress, from an ancient time, slips through a hole via a pond and finds himself in our present world. When he woke up, he found a girl who looks exactly the same as the princess from the past and she even has the same name as her, thus decides that he still has to protect her... Secrets and mystery roam around this princess' look-a-like's past and the hole that connects to the past..
Panquequelife
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mangas
Un manga con un poco de fantasía siempre es bienvenido, sin embargo, cuando le agregas viajes en el tiempo, se transforma de bueno, a genial. Konami Shouko es una mangaka con bastante experiencia en toda clase de géneros y Shinobi Life es de lo último que ha hecho, este manga se publicó por la revista Princess desde 2006 hasta 2012 cuando finalizó.

La  trama  no es tan sencilla pero si somos buenos lectores daremos en el clavo en los detalles que se nos presentan. Los personajes deben viajar e
Sherrymoon
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Was not so my stile shinobi life 1, i dont like so much the drawings,but the app MangaZone is great! I think will like more the manga stile of Taniguchi, more the art of graphic novels:
Teresa cox
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge-6
its ok.
Silvia
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Oh My God. What can I say. Listen, I thought this was going to be and easy shoujo read. I thought this was going to be cute and funny. I was so wrong. It got complicated and dark and super engaging really really fast. Now understand I don't mean this is a bad way at all, it was very cute, sweet, and funny too. I was so surprised by the events in this manga. I basically didn't see any of that coming honestly. It gets 5 stars in my book because it kept me so engaged to read the next volume. I ende ...more
Katie
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, completed
see full review @ Katie's Corner

There are so many mangas that I love and say that are my favourites. Okay, plainly said I love this manga, and well, I thought that I should cover it, or my mind wouldn’t stop nagging me about it.

Why I do love this story so much, that I’ve read it about 5 times? Well, it has my favourite themes: Shinobi (ninja) and time slips. Yes, yes, you’ve heard me tight. There are that ninjas, similar to Naruto ones (if anyone watched that anime you’ll know what I’m talking a
Cdthomas
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-lit-1-12
Kagetora is a feudal age ninja who is bound to protect a noble lady, Beni-Hime. At the opening of the book, Kagetora is running from pursuers and is thrown into a lake when a bomb goes off near him. As he sinks through the water, he slips through a time warp that transports him to modern day Japan. Kagetora actually falls from the sky to land on the female protaganist, Beni.

Beni is the daughter of a Japanese mobster. Her whole life has been tragedy. Her mother committed suicide in a shed a few y
和泉美優
This book is about a girl named Beni Fujiwara, who one day tries to commit suicide, to escape from her cold father(who is rich, but by her mother's inheritance), and she is saved from this ninja, Kagetora, who appears out of thin air. Later, she discovers that the ninja is from the past, and he is sworn to protect "Beni-hime" who is her ancestor, and apparently they look the same. When suddenly one day Beni and Kagetora go back in time to Kagetora's time, and they encounter the "Beni-hime" and ...more
78sunny
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hmm ich hätte wohl gleich nach dem Lesen eine Rezi schreiben sollen. Jetzt fällt es mir schwer, obwohl ich mich noch relativ gut daran erinnern kann. Es geht hier um einen Ninja-Krieger, der sich geschworen hat eine Prinzessin zu beschützen. Durch Zufall wird er in die Zukunft katapultiert ohne das er es recht mitbekommen hat und trifft dort auf ein Mädchen, das er für die Prinzessin hält. In Wirklichkeit ist sie aber eine weite Nachfahre von ihr. Nun muss er also in der heutigen Zeit zurechtkom ...more
A
May 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
A capable female protagonist, a protective love interest with eyes only for her, time travel and ninjas! Beni is not a totally helpless character, but she gives Kagetora plenty of opportunities to save her whether it's from bad hips making her fall down(I don't know what's up with that) or from guys with bad intentions. Kagetora does not have much in the way of personality, boiling down to his protectiveness of Beni, being naive about the future, and a little bit of pride. Lots of titillation as ...more
A
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, dnf
DNF en el tomo N°7.

Estuvo aceptable. Tierna historia, mucho amor y drama y todo, pero... ¡por el amor a Cristo, basta!

La trama comenzó muy bien, hasta que simplemente, a partir del tomo 6 más o menos, se volvió todo una mescolanza entre Naruto, Inception, Volver al Futuro y los típicos clichés de que "no podemos estar juntos porque no somos de la misma clase social" y todo eso. Enough! No pienso seguir leyéndolo.

Fantástica idea, no lo niego, y hasta estoy segura de que se pone genial más adel
Kate
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
I saw this at the library on Saturday, so checked out the four volumes on the shelf.

That's my justification for reading this at all. I had no idea how bad it was. Usually I research manga before I read, but I didn't in this case and paid for it. Because this series is really awful. It's a sappy angst-ridden story that makes no sense - the characters hardly question the credibility of the events surrounding them...and while I will suspend my disbelief to a certain extent, this story goes way bey
Majuchan
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hooray!!
I'm back to reading and reviewing books now.

This manga is a good start my celebratory review. It really caught my attention while I was browsing GR's recommendations. I like the cover and the blurb. Actually it reminded me of the Korean series "Rooftop Prince".

The illustration: 3 stars. Not bad and not that good. (I think the eyes can be improve more)

Kagetora's outfit reminds me of Kakashi from Naruto. But, NO! Kagetora is much kawaii~~ (because I can see his face)

Story: 2 stars?? I thin
Nicole
Jan 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, shojo, ninja
Total guilty pleasure shojo. Beni, a modern young woman with a very difficult home life, bears a strong resemblance to a princess from centuries ago. The ninja that dedicated his life to protecting the ancient princess - the handsome Kagetora - accidentally time travels to the present and confuses Beni for "his princess." What follows, of course, are many scenes with ninja Kagetora saving Beni time and again, with the pair first fighting (and then giving in to) their attraction to each other. &l ...more
Becki
This is the kind of Manga I love. It has time travel, fighting, humour some romance but... I felt that the romance went to quickly and ruined the authentic experience for me. it made the manga seem more hokey obviously its fiction I know that but the whole point is to immerse yourself in the book and it kind of drew me out of it. What I did love was the whole ninja life and reading about the dynamics of the village and the complete loyalty to the mission. I can tell you the manga does get better ...more
Reem
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Again.. I got decieved by the cover.
This manga is not entirely bad but it's just not good as I hoped it would be.
The plot is okay, could have been developed way way better than this lame way.
There are no story events that worth mentioning. The moments between the characters are over-used that I could tell you exactly what they are going to say and what's going to happen. Nothing at all interesting enough, even the art is mehh.
Too bad, this could have been better or at least more interesting than
Imogen Brand
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I am interestingly attracted to reading Shinobi Life although volume one received lots of mixed reviews from manga fans I definitely think volume one has lots of potential to add to the calculation Ninja+ Romance= Absolute Perfect Manga!. I look forward to reading Shinobi Life volume to two find out if Beni and Kagetora love become even stronger in the 21st century or if Kagetora past comes back to haunt him.
M.m.f
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Leí todos los tomos de una sentada. Me gusto la idea, y los problemas que hubo. Creo que es uno de esos mangas perfectos para pasar una tarde, y que son realmente buenos.
Los dibujos eran buenos, y los personajes distaron un poco de los típicos shoujos.
No me gusto sin embargo el cambio de los personajes. Me gustaban al principio y al final eran demasiado rosas, pero se lo perdono porque no podía parar de leer.
Sandy
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
OK I will say this, the first volume isn't much to get all excited about it, in my opinion it was OK but I have been lucky to read up to volume 7 in the series and I LOVE this manga. Its is sweet, FUNNY, romantic, heart wrenching and as you get into later volumes is filled with more and more action and character development. Do what I did and make sure to give this manga a second chance, it deserves it.
Hailey Gregg palagar
In this book, the main character is a modern day girl who meets a ninja from the past. At first they do not realize from which time period each other are. He is convinced she is a princess and he a body guard. This story is one of adventure, love and time travel.

I enjoyed this book. I have mentioned before that I am not a huge fan of graphic novels. I loved the story in this one. It was well written, cute and funny. I wish there was a novel version of this story! I would LOVE that!
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
Chapters 1-4.

I really like Kagetora and how clueless he was at first. The girl is more just okay as her relationship with her father is intriguing at least. She rubs me the wrong way at first and I find the present a little boring.

It gets lots better later as we learn about the past. This is funnier than Black Bird but not as well plotted. I loved the large, almost full page drawings but I don't like how they reused drawings at times.

BOTTOM LINE: A good start!
  • Bloody Kiss, Vol. 01
  • Wild Ones, Vol. 1 (Wild Ones, #1)
  • Love Attack, Volume 1
  • 100% Perfect Girl, Volume 1
  • Barajou no Kiss, Vol. 01 (Barajou no Kiss, #1)
  • B.O.D.Y., Volume 1
  • Stepping on Roses, Vol. 1
  • Captive Hearts, Vol. 01 (Captive Hearts, #1)
  • Ai Hime ~ Ai to Himegoto, Vol. 01
  • Rasetsu, Vol. 1
  • Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 1
  • Moe Kare!!, Vol. 01
  • キスよりも早く1 [Kisu Yorimo Hayaku 1] (Faster than a Kiss #1)
  • Happy Cafe, Vol. 1 (Happy Cafe, #1)
  • Hana to Akuma, Vol. 01
  • Arata: The Legend, Vol. 01 (Arata: The Legend, #1)
  • Mixed Vegetables, Vol. 1 (Mixed Vegetables, #1)
  • Butterflies, Flowers, Vol. 1 (Butterflies, Flowers, #1)

Shinobi Life (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 02