Start by marking “Molly and Mae” as Want to Read:
Molly and Mae

Molly and Mae

Friendship is like a train journey.

There are happy moments, boring moments and exciting moments.

There is anger and loneliness, and there is forgiveness,
and the thread of friendship runs through everything,
like rail tracks through the countryside.

Brilliantly rendered by Danny Parker and Freya Blackwood, Molly and Mae is a portrait of the most delightful and emotionally
Published October 2016 by Little Hare

To ask other readers questions about Molly and Mae, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Molly and Mae

Start your review of Molly and Mae
Abigail
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books About Friendship / Freya Blackwood Fans
Two young girls meet and befriend one another on a train journey in this lovely Australian picture-book, enjoying many fun games together before falling out. Is their friendship doomed to be short-lived? Or will Molly and Mae find a way to set things right...?

Danny Parker's simple text in Molly and Mae: A Friendship Journey, is expanded upon and beautifully complemented by illustrator Freya Blackwood's gorgeous watercolor artwork. It's no surprise that I was most struck by the illustrations
Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
Trata el tema de la amistad y de cómo hay que olvidar los rencores y aprender a perdonar. Muy dulce
V.A. Trafton
Creative way of starting a new friendship and adding the bumps that go along with it. Kids sometimes forget how hurtful words can be. Shows the importance of how to build a strong friendship because without friends the world is a lonely and dreary place.
Melissa
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a book about two little girls how develop a friendship. They play throughout the book while they travel by train. These busy little girls make what could be a boring trip into an imaginative one through the innocence of their play.
However they come to a point where they get frustrated with each other and decide not to play together. They quickly decide to fix the problem they had and make up with each other to continue the friendship. Great book to reinforce compromise in play.
Lindsey
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
fantastic illustrations
Monica
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: friends, feelings
This book details what it's like to fight with a friend and how to make up. It has good concepts, but the metaphor of "building bridges" as a way to repair friendship be too abstract for younger readers. Would recommend for kids K-3.
Munro's Kids
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A gently illustrated story about friendship. Over the course of a train journey, two little girls become friends, have a disagreement, and make up again. Very expressive illustrations, and an emotionally intelligent story. ~ Emilee
Oznasia
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I see from her biography that Freya Blackwood, the illustrator of this book, grew up in Orange, NSW. She has obviously experienced, as I have, the colonial railway stations and delightful rural settings that are enjoyed by travellers taking a train through the NSW countryside. I could enjoy this book just for the illustrations but should acknowledge that Danny Parker has also provided a great story that demonstrates an understanding of kids' relationships.
Mary
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay, all, I may have a new favorite book about cooperation and conflict resolution: Molly and Mae: A Friendship Journey by Danny Parker, illustrated by Freya Blackwood. This book, published in 2016 (first published in the United States in 2017), was a new-to-me book that I discovered when making our teamwork and cooperation booklist for our March Family Focus. While I generally try to check books out from the library or flip through them at our local bookstore in order to decide if I want to ...more
HueL
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beautiful-illo
This a sweet and quiet book about friendship. Friendship,of two little girl, and how it evolves as the train was moving. The book is well-written, and the illustrations are superb. There are lots of metaphors used in the book, could be a little difficult for the very you d to enjoy, kids are 7, 8 or even older may understand those metaphors better.

There are a few minor issues with this book as a story. The story itself is rather quiet, and perhaps, a little flat. The transition that or the
Ben Truong
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Molly and Mae: A Friendship Journey is a children's picture book written by Danny Parker and illustrated by Freya Blackwood. It is a quaint and charming story about Molly, Mae, and their friendship they formed at a train station.

Parker's text is rather simplistic and straightforward. It explores the friendship between two little girls and the vicissitudes of the short-term relationship. The narrative captures the innocence of friendship between two children they are bests of friends within
Ann Santori
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting parallel of a train journey (literal) with a friendship journey and a lot of wordplay inherent in the comparison. Captures the intensity of childhood emotions well and the illustrations are soft and dreamlike.
Laine
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
a train journey illustrates the ups and downs a child might experience in early friendships, how easy it is to miscommunicate and hurt each other, but also how easy it is to repair that damage with a few kind words.
Arja-täti
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aikuiset, lapset
Aikuisten nostalgiakirja mutta kokeillaan miten toimii lapsille ja vähän isommillekin.
Miss Sarah
Two young girls meet in a train station and over the course of a train ride they live a lifetime of friendship. preschool and up
Lots of metaphors going on with this book. A journey on the train and a friendship journey. Loved the illustrations.
Casandria
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet tale of friendship and making up.
Bkrieth
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story teaching the ups and downs of friendship. The soft illustrations remind me of Vegas drawings in Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge. ...more
Jennifer B.
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
A sweet story about best friends.
Emma Herr
I liked it because it had a separation and then back together.
Linda
"Friendship is like a train journey"
ReadingWench
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The ups and downs of friendship. This is a cute story and the illustrations are fantastic.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A clever friendship story about two young girls who take a train ride, showing the similarities between the journey of their friendship and their journey by train. Lovely, expressive illustrations.
Viviane Elbee
Lovely, classic illustrations in this tale about two friends on a long train ride across the country. Good story for train fans, and also for fans of friendship stories. Kids enjoyed it.
Jen
Ah, friendship. Such a beautiful and complex thing.
Cai
A tale of two friends who take a train ride and the similarities between the journey of friendship and a journey by train.

I am loving books illustrated by Freya Blackwood at the moment. She seems to pair up with the best. This story was poignant and so adorable. I will be looking to buy this book.

We borrowed this book from the local library.

*V @ 1 year*
Lusitarius
Ihanan herkkä vertauskuvallinen teos ystävyydestä. Kuvitusvalinta on osunut aivan nappiin!
Ellie
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful tale about friendship.
Olga Kilicci

• Dangerous Jane
  • Grace for President
  • Sarabella's Thinking Cap
  • Harry & Hopper
  • Eva's Treetop Festival (Owl Diaries, #1)
  • Noah Webster's Fighting Words