Start by marking “To Shoot a Musky: A Short Fish Story” as Want to Read:
To Shoot a Musky: A Short Fish Story

To Shoot a Musky: A Short Fish Story

Satchel was the undisputed king of the resident muskies. He had roamed the flowage for years, periodically terrorizing innocent fisherman by surfacing like a whale so close to a boat that the occupants could look deep into the fish's black eyes and see what seemed to be undiluted piscatorial evil. ...more
Published November 15th 2016 by Paul Stokes

To ask other readers questions about To Shoot a Musky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Shoot a Musky

Start your review of To Shoot a Musky: A Short Fish Story
Al
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, read-2017
This is a fishing story, I suppose. But I'm not much of a fishing story kind of guy and I loved this short story because it is so much more. It's a Cheesehead Moby Dick. It's a wonderful tale about the love between a grandparent and a grandchild. It's a short glimpse into life in small-town Wisconsin. It's a darn good read.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. **
David
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story of the "one that got away." This was the kind of fishing story my uncles or friends of my dad would have liked to tell. I found myself remembering some of those men from my early childhood as I listened to the tale of a boy out fishing for a legendary musky with his great uncle. ...more
Jill
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At less than twenty pages, this fish tale in about an elusive muskellunge. For those unfamiliar with the “Muskie” fish, the biggest one recorded by the International Angling rules was nearly 70 pounds and six feet long. The author’s short story is about a record fish called Satchel that tormented anglers.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway randomly chose me to receive this book free from the publisher. I was under no obligation to write a review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
Todd Oliver
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great fishing tale like my grandfather used to tell! I truly love these short stories by Bill Stokes. To me they are like those Pixar animated shorts my kids love. A short story leaving the reader completely satisfied! Great narration by Johnny Mack.
Elena Alvarez Dosil
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review originally published at: http://www.lomeraniel.com/audiobookre...

I was provided a copy of this book in audio format en exchange for an honest review.

This is the story of Uncle Charlie vs. Satchel, a great monster, the biggest of muskies, the terror of fishermen. Charlie had been taking about Satchel for years, its fame was wide known, but nobody was able to catch it. One day Bill goes fishing with old Uncle Charlie and they will meet Satchel, which will terrorize them both.

I greatly enjoy
Robert Zimmermann
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick story, but it held a lot without it. It was enjoyable to listen to and as entertaining as a fishing tale tends to be.
BookLoversLife
This short story was quite cute to be honest! It evoked images of an old man, sitting on a rocking chair, telling his grandkids abut the time that he went fishing with his Uncle Charlie, about seeing the mighty Satchel and almost catching him!

This is my third book by Bill Stokes and one thing I have to say about the man, and its that he can write, and write extremely well at that. His style of writing is like very descriptive and homely. It brings to mind tales that your grandfather would tell
Ralph Jones
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A tale of man verses fish. Well in this case a novice fisherman and his fishing addicted grandfather.

The two set out on a fishing trip in the vague hope of snaring old Satchel, a humongous musky and local monster of the deep. Of course the youngster hooks the piscine fiend and a long battle ensures. The outcome is finally decided not by brawn, guile or perseverance, but rather the conflicted motivations of an old man.

There is no doubt the author can write. It's both engaging and entertaining. I
AudioBookReviewer
Jan 26, 2017
Born in Barron, Wisconsin, on September 11, 1931, Bill Stokes grew up on a small dairy farm between Barron and Rice Lake. He began his official writing career as an outdoor writer and general reporter for the Stevens Point Daily Journal, where he served as columnist, reporter and outdoor writer. In 1961 he moved to the Wisconsin State Journal, in Madison, where he wrote outdoor and personal column ...more

News & Interviews