Start by marking “La muerte de Superman (Colección Novelas Gráficas DC Comics, núm. 18)” as Want to Read:
La muerte de Superman (Colección Novelas Gráficas DC Comics, núm. 18)

La muerte de Superman

(Death and Return of Superman 2016 Edition #1)

La Muerte de Superman
Publicado originalmente en 1993. Es uno de los títulos más vendidos de todos los tiempos. En Superman núm. 75 vemos al mayor héroe de la historia luchar contra un enemigo imparable en su querida Metropolis. Este villano es una fuerza de la naturaleza llamado Juicio Final, que ha escapado de su cautiverio y utilizará a la Liga de la Justicia para llegar
Paperback
Published December 2016 by ECC Ediciones (El Catálogo del Comic, DC Comics) (first published December 1992)

To ask other readers questions about La muerte de Superman, please sign up.
Werepenguin Productions Library binding is designed to withstand heavy usage such as that seen in libraries. It doesn't effect the story itself. For more information about th…moreLibrary binding is designed to withstand heavy usage such as that seen in libraries. It doesn't effect the story itself. For more information about the differences and possible markers to determine your binding type check out:

(less)

Start your review of La muerte de Superman (Colección Novelas Gráficas DC Comics, núm. 18)
Donovan
Sep 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Superman and shitty comics
Shelves: nope

What a load of horseshit. This is the most preposterous, shallow, unexplained, pointless story arc ever told. You want to kill Superman? You first need to think about everything that hasn't killed him yet. Every villain like Luthor, Brainiac, Mongul, Batman in his crazy mech suit, Anti-Monitor, all the crazy shit of Crisis, going through planet cores and stars and dimensions. I'm envisioning something incalculably huge and powerful, something I've never seen before. But no. Knowing this book wi
Alejandro
The Earth's Greatest Hero has fallen...

WHICH IS THE MONSTER THAT EVERY COMIC BOOK TITLE FEARS???

There is a monster even more terrifying and powerful than Doomsday that inflicts fear into the heart of any comic book title...

The Low Sales' Monster!

The four Superman titles selling at that time were suffering low sales, and the editorial team thought that if "nobody" was reading them, then it was better to kill off the character.

This is something hardly new in the business.

The Batman titles
Sr3yas
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
You may have saved citizens in distress, prevented nuclear holocaust or stood your ground while fighting a war against forces of evil. But does that make you a great superhero? No, comrade, it does not! If you want to be a great superhero, you'll have to ask yourself this question:

Seriously, You gotta die and get resurrected at least once if you want to be the greatest superhero (or supervillain) ever. I'm pretty sure it was Jesus who did it first successfully.

Anyways, now It's Superman's turn
Chad
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first of many "deaths" of DC characters to boost sales. Doomsday is just this boring unstoppable force that destroys everything in its path. He pummels the Justice League before taking on Superman. They punch each other at the same time and kill each other. The end.
Sam Quixote
Nov 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Now that you’ve read the title you can say you’ve read the book because that’s all this comic is: the title. Superman dies. The end.

If you do decide to read this you’ll be introduced to the most one-dimensional and worst villain of all time, Doomsday. Forget that post-Death of Superman we learn more about his “character”; in this book we know nothing about him besides the fact that he’s a monster who’s been imprisoned beneath the Earth for some reason, is now free for some reason and causing ha
Andy
Jun 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
It's no wonder that this is the best selling comic book of all time. "The Death of Superman" combines everything I love about WWF pro wrestling with the tight plotting of a Michael Bay film. Forget all the psychological nuance of Frank Miller's "Dark Knight" comics, Superman is GOOD and that's all you need to know. And who is Doomsday? Where does he come from? Why does he want to kill Superman? Does it really matter? You might as well ask why Hulk Hogan needs to body slam his opponents or why Go ...more
✨Sumi's Books✨
Purely classic...
Superman and Doomsday go head-to-head in this epic battle which ends in one of them walking away... only one of them.
This comic book series is jam-packed with epic battles, cheesy one-liners, and pure comic book gold. This is one for the ages!
If you have not read this one yet then you need to remedy that! 😉
Shannon
Superman may have met his match as some indestructible being (simply named “Doomsday”) filled with hate marches to Metropolis and obviously creates a path of destruction in its wake. Other JLA superheroes try to stop it but even as a group they are no match. Then Superman joins one JLA group and after they are defeated he's the only one left standing.

See Lois Lane with red hair. Watch Superman give his all against an impossible foe. See other JLA member get “pwned” even if they're third tiered s
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
One of the most iconic moments in the DC Universe and the title says it all.

This story arc introduces us to a threat that the world has never seen before and who is rightfully named Doomsday. He is completely unidimensional and is simply a killing machine. His powers? Pure brutal and unmatched strength. Not even the Justice League (although a very, very lame ensemble of heroes in this case) could stop him. Everything relies on Superman.

The writing is nothing special, and it has the tell-rather-
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Cult Classic Graphic Novel READ!

But am I impressed?

Not really because I know Superman is not really dead.

I think I was in 10th grade when Superman died. Then I think it was the very next year that they brought him back.....

I've never been INTO Superman until recently when I started watching Smallville. I've always liked the idea of Superman but never have been too thrilled with him.

The Death of Superman was just that. It was ok but I wasn't thrilled.

I was shocked to see that Lex Luthor had been
James DeSantis
One major advancement for comics after the 90's is writers decided to write characters like actual people. Before that we had a lot of "My Golly G we gotta stop the bad guys!" and "Holy Molley geez what we gonna do?" Instead of them actually SPEAKING like NORMAL people. This "Death of Superman" arc is known as one of the biggest things DC ever done. This wasn't the first time they killed off a main character, they just knew killing off SUPERMAN would bring in headlines.

So what's it about? Well
Ed Erwin
Jul 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Punch punch punch. Kick kick kick. Fight fight fight.

That is all there is. One fight scene after another. If you like action scenes, there's plenty here for you, and they seem well done. I just don't care.

Well, at least he's finally dead now and we won't have to read any more stories about Superman!
Dan
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read ....Review - https://youtu.be/QFDPBlfLoG4 ...more
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me cry for days after I read it. Heroes are not supposed to die!
Jake
It may be grossly unfair, on a literary level, to grade The Death of Superman as a graphic novel. More than any previous compilation-turned graphic novel, the serial nature of this publication seems explicit. That being said, DC Comics ultimately packaged and sold this multi-part story as a single work, which is how I encountered it this weekend. Special thanks to the group of local public libraries that diligently engage in inter-library loan, making it possible for me to read this work at no c ...more
Kirk
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most comic book fans know the story. DC was scheduled to do a Superman wedding run, but Louis & Clark was already going in that direction on television, so they figured killing Superman would be the next best way to boost sales.

So they set out to kill Superman (boost sales). But hey, DC had a bunch of titles that were selling like shit cakes dredged from a city gutter, so they decided to have the story arc cut across every shitty title they had in a desperate attempt to boost sales.

And it worke
Scott
Aug 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story here is simple: This crazy strong evil monster who's REALLY REALLY ANGRY arises from somewhere and beats up the Justice League, beats up America, and then beats up Superman until they both die. The end.

That's it. I'm totally serious. I mean come on! This was the Man of Steel. The Man of Tomorrow! Krypton's ichiban ass-kicking muchacho!! And the best death story they can give him is "a big monster punched him really hard"?!?

And Lex Luthor's like: "Punching him! Of course! Why didn't I t
Nicolo
At one time, this was the biggest event in comics. DC Comics killed the world’s first and greatest superhero in a crossover event that drove a record number of units out of newsstands and comic shops and probably made the biggest bubble among those who speculated in comics at that time... That bubble busted eventually, driving the entire comic industry to its knees.

Superman returned in another crossover event, but it proved that DC Comics was willing to gamble on such a risky gambit. At that tim
Paul
I can't imagine how big this must have been in the comic world back in the early 90's. I can slightly remember it being a huge deal but back then I wasn't reading comics. I am a Doomsday fanboy. I loved him in the Smallville TV show, in the new Rebirth Action Comics, and now in the original story. Anyway, I loved this, and definitely need this for my collection. Some great art and really solid writing at times.
Nancy
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2019/12/0...

The story opens with a new villain Doomsday smashing himself from underground to the Earth’s surface. He is established as a bad guy when he kills a bird in his hand and laughs about it- gasp! There is a convoluted storyline about Lois Lane and a random boy getting into trouble in the basement of a power station in which Superman needs to save them. I was amused that Lois left Clark a message on a computer of where
Mike (the Paladin)
The heading on this says it's the best selling graphic novel of all time. I can see that.

I've noted before that when young I was primarily a Marvel fan. Still, till I was 12 or so DC comics were the only ones I'd run across. Superman was the small boy's hero...as a kid I tied a towel around my neck and jumped off the porch. I ran through the house hands out "flying". For my 4yh birthday I got a "Superman suit".

And I watched the Superman TV series with George Reeves.

So of the DC heroes Superman i
Dan
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third time I’ve read the death of Superman. First time it wasn’t great. Then I read it years later after I had an appreciation for more characters I hadn’t before, and while a little better, still not great.

Well this time I still feel a big shoulder shrug. The problem with the story is that it doesn’t really exist. Bad guy comes out of the ground, beats the hell out of an odd line up of early 90s Justice League, and Superman fights him in the city to their mutual death.

The dialogue
Logan
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS FOR THIS BOOK AND FOR BATMAN V SUPERMAN!

Re-Read 2016

This is one of the best superman stories ever! This was one of the first graphic novels I ever collected, heck it was the first! So spoiler Superman dies, although that was kinda obvious... But anyway per the ending of batman v superman, i decided to give this a re-read, and its still as good as when i first read it! One compliant of this story is that there's not much story, mostly correct, but Its not really suppose to, its a story
Jerry
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jedi JC Daquis
Obviously, Superman dies here. But how? Even without reading this book, you'd certainly know that the Man of Steel would die getting beat up by an outrageously strong villain because Supes dying by flying a bomb away from earth seems to be less climatic. The Death of Superman is a compilation of devastation, earth-shattering punches, and deaths. Some of the issues are a struggle to read but the last one's a visual treat - Doomsday and Superman is giving each other hell! And for us that's colorfu ...more
Nikki
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing how something so important in the world of comics is kinda... ehhh to read. I mean, the final issue has impact, but before that there's not a lot going on other than senseless punching and destruction. Any sort of actual story would have made a lot of difference. Oh, and Superman is hecka concerned about doing damage to the city and stuff, unlike some OTHER incarnations we've seen. *cough* Snyder *cough*
Charles
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I thought it was pretty weak. I might have liked it better if I'd been keeping up with reading comics but it's been a long time, and this sort of reminded me of why I don't read them much. The action parts were OK. But not much in the way of any kind of deeper story or justification for what was happening.
Aaron
Feb 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wait this is how they killed Superman? In the most boring, drawn-out, inglorious, unemotional Big-Man-Punch-Go-Boom bullshit I've ever seen? I can't believe this story ended up making national headlines and becoming one of the most-read comics of all time. What a complete and utter mess this piece of junk is. I mean, when Marvel killed Captain America, at least it felt like it meant something. This is just... stupid.

The entire plot is this: a big scary monster man we don't care about and have ne
Andrew
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIRD QUARTER FIFTH CHOICE BOOK
One reason that you will like this book is that you are like me, which basically means you need to be superhero nerd. Or you just want to read it,but it is one of my favorite comic books sense it has action. For example I mean when superman like fighting doomsday and it is very interesting to see the all powerful superman get taken down by doomsday. But in my opinion Darksied is cooler than doomsday. I also like that superman is working with others like for example
Kloe
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iggles' Comic Boo...: July 2016 Trade: DEATH OF SUPERMAN 1 6 Jul 04, 2016 11:27PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 83 The Death of Superman 1 1 Dec 09, 2015 11:10AM

• Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 1
  • Superman: Red Son
  • Flashpoint
  • Infinite Crisis
Dan Jurgens is an American comic book writer and artist. He is best known for creating the superhero Booster Gold, and for his lengthy runs on the Superman titles Adventures of Superman and Superman (vol. 2), particularly during The Death of Superman storyline. Other series he has been associated with include The Sensational Spider-Man (Vol. 1), Thor (vol. 2), Captain America (vol. 3), Justice Lea ...more

Death and Return of Superman 2016 Edition (5 books)
  • Superman: Funeral for a Friend (The Death and Return of Superman, #2)
  • Superman: Reign of the Supermen (The Death and Return of Superman, #3)
  • The Return of Superman
  • Superman: Doomsday (The Death and Return of Superman, #5)

News & Interviews