Start by marking “Being Miss Nobody” as Want to Read:
Being Miss Nobody

Being Miss Nobody

...I am Miss Nobody.

Rosalind hates her new secondary school. She's the weird girl who doesn't talk. The Mute-ant. And it's easy to pick on someone who can't fight back. So Rosalind starts a blog - Miss Nobody; a place to speak up, a place where she has a voice. But there's a problem...

Is Miss Nobody becoming a bully herself?
Published April 1st 2017 by Usborne Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Being Miss Nobody, please sign up.
Mia Never give up on your dreams, ( I think )

Start your review of Being Miss Nobody
Read within a day.
Really sweet story.
Sophie Crane
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This young adult novel absolutely blew me away. I was expecting a plot about a girl getting bullied but I got so much more than that. I was transported back to when I was at school and how difficult it was to negotiate the social battlefield. I know that young people have a much harder time with social media pressures and cyber bullying making issues at school seep into every waking moment. This novel tackles these and more, with the Seb plot always there in the background.

Tamsin Winter writes
Ruzaika
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Received with many thanks from Usborne Publishing UK in exchange for an honest review.

Another version of this review can be found here.

Here are a few reasons to convince you to pick this gem of a book up!

1. Realistic portrayal of SM

I'm a sucker for books that deal with mental illness, and when I realized that this book would tackle Selective Mutism, a complex childhood anxiety disorder, I was instantly intrigued. That combined with blogging and bullying where the bullied might eventually resort
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
Actual Rating: 4.5/5

Original Being Miss Nobody by Tamsin Winter (Review) Blogpost

I am so lucky that i was able to get this book. It was so sad and heartbreaking. And i loved this book to the core.

This book is about eleven years old Rosalind, who suffers from Selective Mutism. This story is about her at new secondary school and her dealing with everything that comes with it. Its about friendship , loss, finding sanctuary and all in all how to be brave.

This story had a pretty realistic portrayal
Sparkle
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-faves
Hi again!
I just want to say: I think Being Miss Nobody is one of my favourite books I have EVER read in my ENTIRE life!!!!!!! My sister recommended it to me. At first, I thought, it looks okay. But then, when I really got into the book, I loooovvvveedddd it! I think that my favourite character was Seb. He was the little brother of the main character, Rosalind Banks. I liked Seb because he was always really positive and in a good mood. He was sick, but had a big smile on his face, every day and
stefiereads
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoy Being Miss Nobody. This is a story about a girl with SM (selective mutism) name Rosalind. SM is something that I wasn’t really aware or have knowledge of. But through this book, I understand a lot! I am so grateful for that!

Reading this book is a bit difficult because I feel so helpless and angry. I just want to hug Rosalind so bad and just protect her from any meanies. But... let me tell you... Rosalind... oh gosh this girl. I don’t know how she can handle everything honestly.
Bella
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-faves, so-sad
I found this book at a book fair. I had never seen it before so I had a look at the back and I liked the look of it, so I bought it. I finished it in a few days because I loved it so much. This book had me hooked until the very end. When I first started reading it, I didn't think it would be a sad book, but it was.

Rosalind Banks was the main character and she had Selective Mutism. I had never even heard of this before I read the book! In the beginning, the story just talks about her problems in
Nat (livebreaththeread)
A story about speaking out from a girl who can't.

I really enjoyed this book, the start of the book took my a while to read but once the main plot point of the story came I finished it in no time.

It really opened my eyes to bullying and how it can makes others feel. It really made me think about all the hurtful things that you can say to someone without realising it.

The book shows you that you should be careful how you deal with issues like bullying and that there is a very fine line between
Fiona Mackie
Really enjoyed this story about 11 year old Rosalind, who has selective mutism (SM) - she is able to talk to her parents, brother and next door neighbour only. Everyone at her primary school understood about her inability to speak, but the decision to move her to a school where no-one knows her, as a 'fresh start', has proven disastrous. She is bullied constantly, and as she is silent and friendless, it is not picked up on at all, or the bullies lie about what they are doing, which is believed ...more
Maxabooklover
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awe, one of my favourite books. Tears are in my eyes.
16JonesA
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a touching story about the journey of a girl who doesn’t speak, and when starting a new secondary school, she faces a lot of struggles, so decides to make a blog. In the story we see her blog grow and she becomes a lot more confident within herself online, yet when she’s is at school she doesn’t talk. Towards the end of the book we see rosalind improve as she gets help, and finally gets to a stage when she is talking, a mass difference to the start of the book.
I really enjoyed this book
Ellen Stafford
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won this in a good reads first read giveaway. I passed the book onto my niece who said it was a great book and she would give it 5 stars.
Adele King
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me to read by my 13 year old when I ran out of books to read. What a great book, I’m so glad my teen has read this.
Jay Kenobi
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Clare
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This review was originally posted at Dual Reads

I received a copy for an honest review.

This is the most Book-Of-My-Life book I have ever read. There were times where it felt like this book was set in the school I went to (I actually pictured it as that school for basically the entire book. And the depiction of Selective Mutism was so spot on.

Rosalind, the main character, is delightful. She is eleven which initially worried me as I don't generally like to read from such a young perspective but
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best debut novels I`ve read this year, if not ever. I was hooked from page one, as we`re told the story of Rosalind, a girl with selective mutism who is starting high school. The book sensitively tackles selective mutism, bullying and social media (and some parts of Rosalind`s school experience resonated with things I`ve seen in the past, and I feel like a lot of readers will be able to identify with her fears about secondary school). The book also dealt with childhood cancer ...more
Karen Barber
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I think most readers will empathise with Rosalind here. Though they may not live with selective mutism or have a younger brother dying of leukaemia they are likely to have felt insecure or anxious/worried about what others think of them.
When Rosalind starts at high school she is determined to try and create a positive experience. Full of good intentions, school soon becomes a place she hates as she’s mocked for not speaking.
Determined to find her voice, Rosalind starts a blog. Unfortunately the
16BlandfordI
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book! I especially liked how they wrote the book, and how, not only was the main character dealing with having SM, but also was looking after her brother. It really shows you that even though she is going through a tough time, she is still going. I also really like the relationship between Rosalind, her Dad and her Brother, and how even though things aren't going well they are still able to joke around and have a good time! I would recommend this book to anyone 12+, I also ...more
Charlotte
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, 2017
Read this book in just under 24 hours, any chance I got in my day I picked it up and read it. Although it is a teen book, I really enjoyed it and could relate to some of what happened in the book. I remember being so shy at school and not wanting to talk to others, but at least I had the option, I couldn't imagine not being able to at all. Loved the idea of her helping others and was extremely overjoyed by what happened at the end of the story.
17loweh089
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is really good because you get to see what life is like from another persons perspective. It is a sad book as at some points because you feel for her situation and how everything has got out of hand foand her. It is a friendship story. The ending was not the best as it could have gone into more detail about how things worked out. I would recommend it to girls age 12 and up.
Rebecca Rouillard
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Rosalind has selective mutism which makes starting a secondary school even more terrifying. But when she can’t speak to defend herself from bullies, Rosalind starts an anonymous blog to give herself a voice. A wonderful story about friendship, anxiety, bullying and social media. The author is a teacher which is possibly why she gets the voice and the concerns of this age group so spot on - this book is hugely popular with the year 5 & 6s at school. Brilliantly done.
Steph
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Verging on the side of a bully herself, when things get taken out of her hands, a young girl, who doesn't speak, can't speak. Her actions have become someone else's and she's being blamed.

Brilliant message which I think teenagers should read. End had me bawling.
Isabella McCombe
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. You should read. This book is sad and happy at the same time. It is a really good book to read when your board. You should definitely get it.
Lauren Johnstone
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
RTC eventually.
•Midnight•
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry and laugh my heart Out I swear. I have a friend that had a similar but less severe problem...and we went through so much to get her to talk to others, I love her so much because she never gave up. And now there she is..presented a science fair with me and we won first place. :)

To be honest I don’t quite relate to the main character from the mental problem part. But I still loved the story of course. Seeing those painful things happening to her made me cry specially at the
ZOEY
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-na, arcpublisher
full review on my blog : https://zoeymusesaboutbooks.wordpress...
17taylort235
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘ Being Miss Nobody’ is an excellent book. The book focuses on the life of a teenage girl who struggles with talking to new people. In addition to the struggle of talking, she lives a younger brother who has an illness that is detrimental to his wellbeing. As the book continues, it shows how her issues are ignored by her parents, and she turns to writing a blog on bullies in her school. The book is very interesting and i recommend this book to teens over the age of 12.
Kirsty Stanley
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this. Ironically Rosalind had a very strong voice throughout and she really went on a journey of development, but one with a realistic ending, where everything isn’t completely perfect.

I adored her brother Seb and once again thought that it was a wise decision not to have Rosalind’s selective mutism arise as a result of his ill health.

The power of social media to give people a voice is explored so well and is balanced alongside the notion that it can also be used to silence or
Isobelle Joy
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me of one of my favourite books “ wonder” it was talking about someone with a problem. I found this book really interesting because a story about speaking out from a girl who can’t is very different and I could really relate to Rosalind as I’ve experienced bullying before.one of the characters I really loved was Rajit he was so funny I also loved Seb! I thought he was so smiley and funny despite his illness and I really felt sorry for him :( ...more
Hayley
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I read it to my class and it provided a fabulous stimulus for discussions on bullying, anxiety, death and the positive and negative sides of technology. The language and use of hashtags helped the students to find it highly relatable. A great book for teaching social and emotional skills.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ella on the Outside
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • The Star Outside my Window
  • The 1,000-year-old Boy
  • Kick
  • Fierce Fragile Hearts (Beautiful Broken Things, #2)
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • I Have No Secrets
  • All the Things That Could Go Wrong
  • The World’s Worst Teachers
  • Toffee
  • No Ballet Shoes in Syria
  • A Place Called Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • The Ice Garden
  • Boy Underwater
  • The Black Flamingo
  • The Last Secret (Scarlet and Ivy, #6)
"Tamsin Winter is fast becoming a favourite for younger teenagers, chronicling those first years at secondary school with warmth and honesty."
- The Observer

Tamsin Winter grew up in a tiny Northamptonshire village where she spent her childhood reading books and writing stories. She studied English Literature and Creative Writing at university, and has taught English at secondary level for many