Start by marking “A Boy Called Hope” as Want to Read:
A Boy Called Hope

A Boy Called Hope

I'm Dan Hope and deep inside my head I keep a list of things I want to come true.

I want my dog to stop eating the planets and throwing th
Published March 1st 2017 by Usborne Publishing Ltd (first published March 1st 2014)

Start your review of A Boy Called Hope
Kerry
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful warm, funny, quirky and at times sad story of Dan and his search to find his Dad. The story is told from Dan's point of view which is laugh out loud funny at times and sad at others. Dan is a great character who sees life in a quirky humorous way. His journey is filled with a cast of friends, family and other characters who add to the colourful tale.
A great read and I would definitely recommend it. Any book that can make me laugh and cry is a winner for me.
James Minter
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults, children
This is a story about an eleven year old boy, Dan Hope, seeking his estranged father who left the family home for another woman several years earlier. The father has had no contact with his son or the rest of the family since he left but Dan is forever hopeful he can still have a relationship with his dad. Dan’s older sister Grace is a great counterbalance to Dan’s naïve belief that their dad will return and all will be well.
Ms Williamson has an excellent writing style with a focus on pertinent
Nurhayati Ramlan
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-love

"You didn't tell me you were dying. I wish you had. I wanted to say goodbye. This is the thing that hurts the most."
Maariya
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Trust me this book is worth it. The start is way too crowded with thoughts (like my head). I really struggled reading the beginning of this book, but read it again just so that you understand the beginning ( I have tried reading the start three times and failed LOL but I kept trying until I could carry on reading).

Apart from my struggle reading this book, my only problem with this book is it being filled with a little immature and mad thoughts. To be honest, I don't think an 11 year old would s
Katy Noyes
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dan Hope sees his dad on TV one day, a new local newsreader. It's the first time he's seen him in four years. It presses him into trying to get in touch and get him to want him again -nothing's been the same since he left them. His older sister is mean and spiky, he's missing him. His mother has a new boyfriend though. Big Dave. Dan can't decide whether he likes him or if he doesn't trust him, like his sister Grace.

At the start I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this - some silly punning out
Megan Cullis
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read ‘A Boy Called Hope’ from start to finish one chilly Sunday afternoon and it warmed me from the tips of my toes to the depths of my heart. Dan Hope is a small kid who dreams big. He’s got a unique way of seeing the world – nothing goes by unnoticed, and his naïve charm is often hilariously insightful. Dan’s family can be a bit bonkers – his sister’s got a sharper tongue than a Samurai’s sword, and is always putting Dan in his place. His dog will eat anything – literally – and his mum’s boy ...more
Katie
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I gave this book a 4.5
I really liked the story and fell in love with the characters but at times the story became a little unrealistic!
Frankie
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is utterly OUTSTANDING! The quality of Lara’s writing blow me away! I simply LOVED this book! Dan, the main character, came alive throughout the pages of this book, I felt what he was feeling! I honestly can’t rate this book enough! You should read it!!
Christina Reid
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, realistic book about family and the ties that bind us. Loved this as with everything else Lara Williamson has written!
Katie Beattie
I thought this book was beautiful and moving but it was very predictable and full of cliches!
Abi Elphinstone
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moontrug loves a good book blurb and get this for the back of Lara Williamson’s debut book for 8-12s: “I’m Dan Hope, and deep inside my head I keep a list of things I want to come true. For example, I want my sister, Ninja Grace, to go to university at the North Pole and only come back once a year. I want to help Sherlock Holmes solve his most daring mystery yet. And if it could be a zombie mystery, all the more exciting. I want to be the first eleven-year-old to land on the moon. I want my dog ...more
Andrew
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When 11 year old Dan Hope sees his father for the first time in four years, on TV, he sets out on a quest to reunited his family only to find that he was with his true family all the time.
This is a fun story. Dan's relationship with his sister, 'Ninja Grace', his mum and stepfather, Dave are all nicely don as is his desire to get his father (who ran off with 'Babs' from the chip shop) back in his life. I love the way, written in the first person, we see the world through Dan's eye including the
Laurène Poret
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
A book called 'A Boy Called Hope' should NOT make you cry as much as this one did. I feel cheated. (Well no I won't, it was an amazing book and I'm really glad I read it).

I'm always in awe of how (good) kid's books can bring so much and be so true. This is why reading is important. You may like to read just to clear your head or have a nice time and kid's books do bring you that, but they also bring so much more. There's this quality that makes them so important.
This book definitely has that qua
Adele Broadbent
I'd give this 3.5 stars. It was funny, and things weren't all perfect in the end - which is how life is - most of the time.
Dan Hope is a likeable character and thinks quite literally as 11 yr olds do. He is sweet and a little confused about how his dad could leave and never come back, write or contact them in any way, even though he lived only 20 minutes away.
Dan decides he wants to see his dad, but lots of things happen along the way - a pregnancy, a school show, a truce and some huge changes i
Aimee Bates
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: standalones
I adored it. As soon as I picked it up I didn't want to stop reading until I'd finished it. It was heartwarming and emotional and towards the last couple of pages I even shed some small tears - it's beautiful. I enjoyed it that much it didn't even feel as though it was a 300 page book that Id just read. It is a book aimed for the younger audience, but that really didn't mean that it lacked in the writing or storyline. If you're looking for a quick, easy, warming story I would 100% recommend pick ...more
Sue Murdoch
I enjoyed reading this, loved the humour between siblings and felt Dan's anguish. I found it difficult to believe that Dan's dad was a TV star in what seemed to be a very small town, so small that his dad lived 20 minutes away, but once he'd left never saw his children. However, the main characters were engaging and easy to picture; I cared about Ninja Grace at the mercy of her little brother and warmed to 'Big Dave's' gentle care.
Vicky
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, it was a refreshing read. Although a relatively easy read, I loved the style of writing and the characters. Dan as the narrator was a lovable character, who loves to dream and Sherlock Holmes!

What I adored the most, is the emotional core focusing on his search for his dad. Although it dwindled a little for me towards the middle, it really redeemed itself towards the end & ultimately I throughly enjoyed this little read, with a big heart!
Felizzia Jehd
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truth be told, protagonist Dan Hope is a child I would love to have in my family. His story is a lovable one, where I became more absorbed every time I finished a chapter. It's easily relatable and reading it relaxed me. It had the saddest but at the same time inspiring ending. This story is great for those who want to have a good laugh, feel happy, be entertained, amused, touched and satisfied after finishing the book.
Glynis Jane
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this from the outset. One to read if you have lost a parent as a child or lost touch with a parent. It's funny, quirky, tender and the ending will have you in tears, in a good way. A beautiful, inspirational debut that reminds us while change can be painful, it can also bring with it exciting new adventures.
Kirsty
A really sweet read which I thoroughly enjoyed. A boy called Hope will make you laugh out loud and shed a tear as you follow Dan's adventures to make the items on his wishlist come true.
Annemarie
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
A Boy Called Hope was a good book about a boy who wanted nothing more than to see his father who abadoned him when he was seven.
Nathalie
Actual rating: 3,7
I expected something more. When I was reading ~50%, I understood what would be at the end
I needed more "heartbreaking" moments, sorry
Simon
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 * Actual rating. I really enjoyed the last two-thirds of the book despite a somewhat slow start. It really comes through in the ending which is poignant and memorable

Quirky, amusing, touching, frivolous yet emotional story of 11-year old Sherlock Holmes fan, Dan Hope. All Dan really wants above all else is for his Dad to love him. Trouble is, Dan's dad is a POS. He ran off with the vinegary scented Busty Babs from the chippy when Dan was 7, which was the last time they would speak.

Enter Mum
Innastholiel
Jun 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you enjoy absent-parent stories, then, by all means, go ahead.
Recommended to Innastholiel by: It sounds halfway decent, can you blame me?
1.5 stars.

Weeeeeeeeell … It’s not terrible, per se, it just definitely wasn’t for me. And I had to practice calming breathing exercises way too often and rolled my eyes way too much to rate it higher. Also, no spoiler tags, as that is way too much work, and would result in half this review being hidden.

1. Dan Hope, the protagonist, who is supposed to be eleven, but sounds like he’s closer to six or seven. Granted, I don’t know a whole lot about children, so I could be off about that. All I know
Ellie Matthews
I completely understand what this book was trying to achieve but I just found it really problematic throughout.

I really struggled with the main character and narrator, who is an eleven year old boy. He comes across as really immature and quite obnoxious, however the circumstances in his life appear to be the excuse for this - which I don’t agree with as a concept. Whilst I may be more cynical as family separation is a topic I feel strongly about, I just couldn’t get on board with a lot of the m
Reilly Windsor-Daly
I think I read this book far too late in life, and if I was about ten years old I would have really enjoyed it. Especially as it was a book about a broken home, a book as a younger child I would have greatly enjoyed. However, as this book was obviously written for the younger reader I found the voice annoying and the plot predictable.

This was a really sweet book. A book attempting to handle some very difficult issues through the eyes of an innocent 10/11 year old. Though I will say he sounded a
dantheolumona | aviecayl uy
When I had started reading “The Boy Called Hope” by Lara Williamson, I did not expect to feel all the things that I actually felt as I read it. First, the book had such a pretty cover and a catchy title. In its entirety, the book was not perfect. Although, it was an easy and a light read. A book that made me cry for its characters and for everything that happened to them (and I cried a lot) – I did not expect to, but I did.

If you enjoy reading books like “Wonder” or “Twerp”, you would also like
Rossy Dourado
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is in the point of view of a 11 year old boy 'Daniel Hope' and his endless love for his father who left them. The pages depicts his struggles, his vulnerability, his immense longing for his father to return.
It explores the young mind of a child and how he feels alone about his father leaving hum, and how he is determined to find him and tell him all his feelings that are bubbling in his absence.

This Book is such an amazing read for all the young readers, it transported me back to when
Cande
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"All I know is that I spent a long time thinking my family wasn't perfect and then I discovered that it didn't matter, because it was perfect for me."
"Saying you love someone is very important. You should have told me, at least once."
omg I really liked this book. What can I say? It was really heart-breaking. At the beginning, I thought that Dan was really immature but then I realized that it was the other way round. Dan had the strength to overcome such horrible situation. The only thing he wan
Olga
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this booked as it evoked deep emotions in me.
Daniel Hope is longing for his dad who left the family a few years ago and made a new family. His dad did not stay in contact. Daniel wants his dad to love him. Daniel's dad is a big TV star now, but even though the boy writes letters to him, his dad never replies.
The end is quite unexpected and tragic. Daniel Hope, however, managers to find his closure of saying goodbye to his dad, with the help of his loving family.
The story is told from the
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Darkwhispers: A Brightstorm Adventure
  • The Star Outside my Window
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day
  • Beetle Boy (The Battle of the Beetles #1)
  • The Goldfish Boy
  • No Ballet Shoes in Syria
  • Kick
  • Jemima Small Versus the Universe
Lara Williamson is currently attached to her computer keyboard in London. Before this she studied Fashion Design and was attached to a sewing machine in Northern Ireland. Her début MG novel A BOY CALLED HOPE will come out on March 1st 2014. Meanwhile, she is spelling out exciting words in potato alphabet shapes, looking at Uranus, thinking of zombie dogs and counting the days until she can tell ev ...more