Start by marking “The Perfect Companion – Understanding, Training and Bonding with your Dog!” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Companion – Understanding, Training and Bonding with your Dog!

The Perfect Companion – Understanding, Training and Bonding with your Dog!

[Alternate cover edition for ASIN: B0083J6YZ0]

The Perfect Companion, Understanding, Training and Bonding with your Dog! Written by professional dog trainer and canine behaviourist Karen Davison, is essential reading for all new puppy owners and a valuable source of information for those of us who want to get the best out of our relationship with man's best friend. 2017
Published January 2017 by SmartDogs Ireland (first published April 29th 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Companion – Understanding, Training and Bonding with your Dog!

Start your review of The Perfect Companion – Understanding, Training and Bonding with your Dog!
Anna McIntyre
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dog-training
This has really helped me understand what I've been doing wrong. Love the common sense, kind and calm approach to training your dog. Although I suspect I am the one who needs to be retrained, Lady is just waiting for me to get my act together! Well written, easy to understand. I have to chuckle, because I really do get the idea when reading the book that the author is "training" me! Thanks for this book! Highly recommend.
Patricia
This book really helped me with my dog. The section on wolves was interesting and it made me look at my dog in a new way. I feel that I understand him better, and the step by step training methods really worked. I do find myself referring back to it, as there is a lot of information contained in the book. Would recommend it to anyone who has a dog or a puppy.
Andy Downs
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like to think that I have done a reasonable job with my dog. He sits, stays and goes to bed when I tell him. One thing however, is that when I take him out for a walk and let him off the lead, I usually spend the next hour trying to retrieve him.

This book has given me a different perspective and insight to the way dogs tick. After a few weeks following the suggested course of training, he now behaves himself and comes when I call him. It is both a revelation and relief to myself, and other
Barbara Huskey
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Won a copy through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

Quick and easy read. I learned some new things about training techniques, but most of what the book teaches I've managed to figure out on my own after having dogs my entire life. It is written with British English, if that matters to my fellow Americans. I was able to understand it easily even if some of the terms aren't typically used here.
Ciara O Neill
Anyone that has dogs, thinking of getting a dog should have this book. Its well written, easy to follow and I think its the best dog training book out there. It tells you all about positive training and you do develop a closer bond with your dogs. This author is definitely one to watch. Looking forward to the next book.
Wayne
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned a great deal reading this.
Karen breaks down the training into easy to understand chunks, making training your dog, old or young very simple.
Explaining the reasons behind certain behaviour also helps us humans understand situations from your dogs point of view, making it much easier to train or to correct unwanted behaviour.
Pmaheux
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for the dog lover and owner!
Summer
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect companion

Good though very basic if you are newer to dogs or to training them it is best and you will learn a lot
Maxine Ann Harvison
Good information

An interesting read some excellent suggestions for training your dog. Tells you a little about what your dog is thinking
Skylar
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The content is succinct, useful, and easy to follow.

Unfortunately, the writing is not. Here are some examples:
From a dogs perspective
In particularly [no comma]
Success breed's success
Heal (for the "heel" command)
Questions ending with periods instead of question marks
Run-on sentences and inappropriate usage or failure to use commas, creating some very difficult-to-read sentences. One example: "Dogs are very intelligent, if we do not stimulate them enough, they will make up their own
Kaye
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much preferred this to the last doggy book I recently read, Raising Healthy, Happy Dogs. There are more specifics and fewer vague generalizations
toni daphne jones
Jan 18, 2016
Ashley
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Doggie Book Club: FREE - review copies of "The Perfect Companion" 5 48 Oct 05, 2014 07:45AM

• We Contain Multitudes
  • Kings Rising (Captive Prince, #3)
  • The Summer Palace (Captive Prince Short Stories, #2)
  • Captive Prince: Volume Two (Captive Prince, #2)
  • Rise of a Merchant Prince (The Serpentwar Saga, #2)
  • The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1)
  • Shadow of a Dark Queen (The Serpentwar Saga, #1)
  • The Hunting Party
  • Captive Prince (Captive Prince, #1)
  • A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2)
  • Life and Other Near-Death Experiences
Karen Davison grew up in Bedfordshire, England. She has been both an avid reader and a lover of animals since early childhood. When she was eight, the family got their first dog, Scamp, whose great character started Karen's lifelong devotion to dogs.

Since qualifying in Canine Psychology in 2001, she has worked as a professional dog trainer and canine behaviourist. She went on to study Wolf