Start by marking “The Joy of Vegan Baking, Revised and Updated Edition: More than 150 Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets” as Want to Read:

Baking without eggs or dairy is a joy and equally as delectable with The Joy of Vegan Baking, Revised and Updated Edition.

Whether you want to bake dairy- and egg-free for health, ethical, or environmental reasons, this updated edition of The Joy of Vegan Baking lets you have your cake and eat it, too! With familiar favorites including cakes, cookies, crepespies, puddings
Published July 1st 2017 by Fair Winds Press (first published January 1st 2007)

Start your review of The Joy of Vegan Baking, Revised and Updated Edition: More than 150 Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets
Bark
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vegan
I have wanted this book since I first heard about it on Patrick-Goudreau's podcast and it has finally arrived! I rarely read cookbooks from cover to cover and just jump on in which is what I'm doing here.

I made the Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins first. How could I not? They were easy to make and tasted amazing and were almost good for me. The teenage boy ate most of them so they passed the test :) The lonely muffin left over the following day was still moist and delicious. This recipe makes at l
Colleen
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Well, I wrote the book, so I should be allowed to put it on my bookshelf! :)
Lisa Vegan
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE who bakes or wants others to bake for them
I generally read my cookbooks from cover to cover, but I picked up this one for an initial cursory look only and couldn’t put it down and ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting.

Not hyperbole: This is an amazing and remarkable baking book, for experienced bakers and novices alike. This cookbook has everything needed to successfully create delicious baked goods. It’s also a beautiful book, containing many mouthwatering photos of the completed recipes.

Great vegan book too. Colleen Patrick
Mark Hawthorne
Nov 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves good food
Shelves: cookbooks
Whether you want to bake a quick batch of oatmeal cookies on a rainy day or you’d like to impress your dinner guests with a mouthwatering apple strudel that will leave them breathless and begging for the recipe, you’re going to love “The Joy of Vegan Baking.” Colleen Patrick-Goudreau is well known as a Renaissance woman – chef, entrepreneur, teacher, writer, activist, podcaster, public speaker and more. She’s so busy I’m frankly amazed she had the time to devote so much care to this beautiful co ...more
Lee
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in vegan baking
Recommended to Lee by: Lisa V.
Shelves: veg-n, own, cookbooks, 2010
This is an excellent, traditional, baking book with something for everyone. I have made 12 recipes so far, some of them multiple times and all have turned out very well. You would never guess, (and most people never do) that these recipes contain no dairy or eggs.

My favourites from top to bottom:

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Chocolate Mousse
Chocola
AJ
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing about this cookbook that rubbed me the wrong way is that most of the recipes call for Ener-G Egg Replacer. I feel like that's an admission that these recipes are somehow lacking in something that non-vegan recipes aren't. A good vegan recipe should work around the lack of eggs without Ener-G, as there are at least 10 things you can use as egg replacers that aren't called "Egg Replacer."

Also, I have made some recipes in this book and the recipes themselves are written poorly. Things li
M
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is like a gateway drug for new vegans who want to expand their baking repertoire beyond cupcakes and zucchini bread! While a bit too reliant on heavily processed ingredients (read: Earth Balance), it's a great way to regain confidence making scratch crusts and the like. The chapter on substituting traditional ingredients with vegan subs is nice, and the appendix about how to sub different sized pans is invaluable.
Connie
I'm so excited to get my hands on this book. I checked it out from my local library, but I can tell I'm going to need to buy it. It's got so many of my favorites; things I thought I'd never be able to have again after acquiring a dairy intolerance. I am especially excited to try out the cinnamon rolls and the Russian Tea Cakes. There are all kinds of cheesecakes and quick breads that look quite yummy, too.
Kerry
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kerry by: Kristin
WOW!!!! Probably my favorite vegan cookbook. Everything I have made from this book has been absolutely amazing. My boyfriend and I have a special fondness for the Apple Cobbler :). It also has lots of tips for vegan cooking which are very useful. I recommend book this for everyone, vegan or non-vegan!
Allison
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Finally, a book that tells you just how delicious vegan baking can be. It's got all your traditional favorites! I have made multiple recipes for non-vegans and they love everything and have bought the book. Open your mind and your mouth and your tummy will thank you!
Tamra Lagrone
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my very favorite cookbooks and perhaps the most consistently used. Every recipe I've tried is simple and delicious and a big hit at home and the office. I've taken a number of vegan treats to share with non-vegans and they've all been a huge hit and a pleasant surprise to those who thought vegans were only allowed to eat grass and hay. ;-)

The recipes are easy to follow and most of the ingredients can be found at your neighborhood grocery store. The book is also filled with nutriti
Molly Elwood
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The MUST-HAVE cookbook for vegans or those looking to dive into plant-based baking. The recipes are easy to follow, with sumptuous photographs that make me want to try everything. Right now, the book practically falls open to the chocolate chip cookie recipe, which I've made upwards of 10 times since buying this book.

Again--this is a must. Discover all recipes that will become staples and the recipes you pass down to your grandkids.
Penny
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really solid vegan baking book with a lot of different kinds of things in it - savory as well as sweet. I've found that a fair amount of it converts quite easily to gluten-free, though you do have to know how to substitute flours and otherwise be a bit flexible.

Four stars rather than five because, whether with gluten or not, anything with leavening needs another 5-10 minutes to bake and not being very careful about that ends up with things mushy in the middle.
Stephanie
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
There's a lot of recipes in here that I've also seen in other books (not same measurements). There are a couple of recipes in here that I am going to try out. There weren't that many that stood out to me besides the MELONPAN!!! I'm excited to try that one, especially because I've been trying to find a asian bakery bread recipe.

3.5/5stars
Joanna T
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up purchasing this cookbook since it had many of the familiar recipes I have traditionally made but substituted vegan, plant-based ingredients rather than the dairy and eggs I am so familiar with using. I have been very happy with the results.
Debra
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
try the vegan fudge!
Amanda Hartness
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love this book, every recipe I have used from it has turned out great, and this has several of my go-to recipes.
Jillian
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great recipes and i like in the beginning chapters the author gives what substitutes to include in vegan baking and why
Angie Kennedy
Several tasty looking things and a fair number that do not require purchasing egg replacement powder, which I would like to avoid.
Toni Okamoto Shapiro
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hands down my favorite cookbook!
Ann
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
More pictures. Great tips and insight. Will use often.
Flora Van Canneyt
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything I have made so far has come out great. Very tasty and informative!
M.K.  Carroll
Oct 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good basic explanations of ingredient choices and options, including recipes for making rice milk, almond milk, and cashew milk. Several egg replacers are explained, along with recommendations for which baked goods they work best in. Several recipes use Ener-G Egg Replacer. A standard range of baked goods (breads, cookies, pies, scones, etc.) as well as puddings, sorbets, smoothies, and candies. These recipes are not for health food - they are for making decadent treats for people who choose not ...more
Jessica
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Yum - beautiful photos and fail-safe recipes. This cookbook is a hit!

A few recipe reviews --

Apple Pie: The recipe for the filling was spot on, and I loved the suggestion to sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the top crust. That said, the initial baking temperature (425 degrees) was too hot and nearly burned the crust, and not cooking the apples first resulted in a pie with a lot of air inside the top crust because the apples shrunk during baking.

Apple Cobbler: It's hard to make a bad apple cobbler, but
Christy Baker
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This is hands down the best cookbook I've used on vegan baking. Many vegan recipes I've tried over the years for baked goods either leave the item leaden or so dry, crumbly and flavorless that if I were actually vegan (instead of vegetarian), I'd really just want to skip all sweets all together. This cookbook makes treats, whether a special dessert or mid-morning brunch item, that I'd make whether I was trying to accommodate a vegan or not. Originally, I used this as a go-to for a couple of frie ...more
Aubrey
May 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Colleen's recipes. This was actually my first vegan cookbook. She provided many pictures, which I love and sometimes need if I'm going to be sold on a recipe. She gives excellent little tid bits of information. My only gripe would be the cost and complexity. Every recipe that I did try was super delicious, but often required too much money for me or was too complex. I shell out quite a bit of money on my food to begin with, and cut all other expenses, because quality food is i ...more
Katie Minion
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: veganism
Every vegan should own this book. Colleen has taken the time to figure out vegan recipes for any and every classic food you bake, from rolls, to biscuits, to cookies, to bars, to crepes, to quick breads. I've made 3-4 recipes from this book and they have all knocked it out of the park. Her drop biscuits are incredible, and her recipe for classic waffles is something I've been looking for for the past 12 months. Not only are the recipes fantastic, but her instructions are very detailed and often ...more
Ms. Jared
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone

Leigh
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joy of Vegan Baking has graced my pantry shelf for going on five years now, and it is the most-used, best-loved cookbook in my kitchen. The book falls open to chocolate chip cookies, and the gingersnap and pancake pages are stained from repeated viewings. Even my non-vegan friends clamor for my cookies, and Joy is my secret. I don't know what possessed me to give a four-star review. The error has been corrected.

My improvisational cooking style tends toward reinventing the wheel. Joy of Vegan Ba
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule
  • Vegan Planet: 400 Irresistible Recipes with Fantastic Flavors from Home and Around the World
  • Vegan Lunch Box: 130 Amazing, Animal-free Lunches Kids and Grown-ups Will Love!
  • King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains
  • How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
  • Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
  • Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock
  • The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making
  • Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • The Best Recipe
  • Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • Hello, Cupcake
  • La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy
Colleen Patrick-Goudreau’s compassionate living philosophy is propelling plant-based eating into the mainstream and forever changing how we regard animals.

A recognized expert and thought leader on the culinary, social, ethical, and practical aspects of living compassionately and healthfully, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau is a speaker, cultural commentator, podcaster, and award-winning author of seven b