Start by marking “Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)

Unearthed (Unearthed #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  3,121 Ratings  ·  959 Reviews
When Earth intercepts a message from a long-extinct alien race, it seems like the solution the planet has been waiting for. The Undying's advanced technology has the potential to undo environmental damage and turn lives around, and Gaia, their former home planet, is a treasure trove waiting to be uncovered.

For Jules Addison and his fellow scholars, the discovery of an alie
Published January 9th 2018 by Disney-Hyperion (first published November 22nd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Unearthed, please sign up.
Meagan Spooner It might be possible to connect them somehow, as Unearthed is near-future science fiction and the Starbound trilogy takes place far, far into…moreIt might be possible to connect them somehow, as Unearthed is near-future science fiction and the Starbound trilogy takes place far, far into mankind's future, but they aren't intended to share universes. (That said, readers are welcome to speculate. Sometimes that's half the fun. We're fans too, we get it.)(less)
Meagan Spooner It's not a very exciting answer, but it just has to do with sales and marketing. Different markets/countries have different optimal release dates, so…moreIt's not a very exciting answer, but it just has to do with sales and marketing. Different markets/countries have different optimal release dates, so when you have different publishers handling the releases, the dates can differ slightly. With Unearthed coming out so near the holidays, our US publisher preferred to release after the holidays, while our Aussie publisher chose to release before, which makes for a longer gap than usual. (Nobody wants to try to compete with the holidays, least of all us!)

(less)

C.G. Drews
I totally understand the pitch of "Indiana Jones in space", because YES. Also you know that dumb iphone game Temple Run? This is Temple Run but the occasionally stop and make delicious snacks. Anyway. Overall I thought the story was fun! It's not super deep or ever very scary, but the characters were great! I just unravelled for the sole reason that reading about people running through booby traps and sorting mathematical puzzles is...not...my thing. I was a little bored. Just a smidge.

L I K E S
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
Lara Croft meets Indiana Jones...IN SPACE.

description
Elise (TheBookishActress)
It’s easy for the international alliance to say they’ll be careful on Gaia. It’s easy for them to dismiss the warnings from the Undying, the stories of their own civilization’s downfall. But the human race has been dismissing the decline of our planet and the destruction of its resources for centuries now. We’ve gotten pretty good at it.

This book is entertaining and nothing more. Honestly, my feelings here were basically a more extreme version of my feelings on Warcross earlier this year - goo
Cait • A Page with a View
This really was like Indiana Jones in space! With a bit of Doctor Who maybe? I used to say I'm reallllly not a sci-fi person, but Amie Kaufman made me second guess that with Illuminae. And here we go again. I'm actually starting to like space...

The idea of the story is pretty simple when you look back on it, but there are so many twists and things to solve while reading that it feels like a huge adventure. I think the characters were what really made this story so strong for me! They both get a
may ❀
like this was slow but really good. tbh i wasnt expecting any less from amie kaufman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

im a simple child, amie kaufman writes a book, i read it

Buddy read with gato
may ➹ (hiatus)
if the beginning had been even half as exciting as the ending, it would have gotten more than 3 stars

but alas, this book put me in a slump until I finally decided to pick it up again because being 2 books behind schedule stressed me out (but... damn. that ending)

// buddy read with la belle
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
3.5 Stars

Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner team back up for the first time since their Starbound series. Taking place on a distant planet, this story follows Jules and Mia as the navigate the ‘temples’ of an extinct alien species who ironically were called the ‘Undying.’ (Basically it started out Indiana Jones in space and somehow turned into Doctor Who.)

description

The plot itself is fun. These are the sort of zany, broad spectrum adventures that make me love sci-fi. And the interesting take on exploring a n
Gemma ♕ BunksMcCoy
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Crazy4Books
I was beyond excited when I got a review copy of this book. I wanted to read it right away and only with major restraint was I able to wait closer to the publication date. Ive been obsessed with Scifi lately and the premise of a treasure hunting adventure on an alien planet sounded like a lot of fun. After 2 very different teenagers, a scavenger and a scholar sneak onto this dangerous alien planet they decide to team up to evade deadly treasure hunters and make it through a trapped filled maze. ...more
amy
Aug 07, 2017 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
don't worry i'm getting back to this soon it just stresses me out to have so many books on my cr shelf lmao

______

Indiana Jones in Space............ what a concept.

i actually got an arc of this and i can't believe that i get to start 2018 with an Amie Kaufman (!!!!!) book. Thank you Netgalley my man

happy new year and all that shit, love u goodreads fam 💖
Heather 'Bookables'
A fun scifi book!
Indiana Jones in space is what I would say is the perfect way to describe this book!
It didn't wow but but was enjoyable!

Bradley
YA Adventure Romance in alien ruins, full of scavengers, raiders, and a mystery that only really gets good at the end.

Yeah? But did I have fun?

Moderately so. No real complaints -- for the most part -- but I often wondered if this was really about tomb raiding or whether this was about the character dynamic of Elites versus the Downtrodden. The romance wasn't exactly bad in this regard. Some parts were quite enjoyable.

The raiders bit? Well, unfortunately, the raiders of the lost ark seemed to dr
Alyssa
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-releases
It took me soooooooooooooooooo long to get through this book. I was bored out of my mind the entire time. I never fully got into the story, but at some point I stopped falling asleep on myself (that's 100% legit -- the first three times I attempted to read even a few chapters, I fell asleep. Maybe I'm just overworked? I don't think that's entirely the case though). It's not a BAD book, just really boring in the first half.

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Unearthed by Amie Kaufman a
K.
Trigger warnings: violence, death, explosions, mentions of...forced prostitution? I guess that's the best way to refer to it.

So here's the thing: this, other than The Upside of Unrequited, was my most anticipated book of the year from the moment that I read the first chapter in one of those chapter sampler bind ups at the start of the year. I was hooked from page 1, and I knew that I was going to love this for the following reasons:
- Archaeology (my undergrad degree is in archaeology)
- In space
Alice Cai
Jan 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 1-star
1.75* dnf: 30% I also looked ahead a bit. I don't think I'm going to like it any more.
(edit: lowered to 1 star horrible characters and info-dump worldbuilding)

What is this shit. I don't usually listen to recs/hype for sci-fi they are always horrible. I just wanted to try something new out for once. So many details yet the world doesn't seem cool at all. Less details please with a cooler world and less annoying characters. So boring.

Oh that was horrible. It's duo perspective and they just kept on
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
GUYS THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD YOU ALL NEED TO DROP EVERYTHING AND GO READ IT!

It's really cool. There was no way that any book could live up to the description of Indiana Jones in outer space, BUT IT DID! This book was absolutely incredible.

Characters were great. Nothing atypical, but I honestly didn't care. Jules and Mia were fabulous. I really liked how they were intelligent, excelling in linguistics and maths respectively. They were not especially unique, but I loved this detail and the pair of th
Caitlin
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Damn this book was good. I don’t know why I put off reading it for ages
Stacee
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS WAS AMAZING!!

Love love love Mia and Jules. She smart and sassy and he’s a British scholar and together they’re adorable. I love getting dual POV and each of them were charismatic characters who were easy to root for. Plus there’s some kissing and deliciously long glances when the other one isn’t looking.

Plot wise, it’s like a scavenger hunt x a million. There’s so much on the line for Mia and Jules, that it really made for some excellent tension. The story starts off with a bang and doesn’
Ryan Graudin
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THAT ENDING THOUGH.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
4.5*
THIS WAS AWESOME!
Kinda instalovey tho and WHAT WAS THAT CLIFFHANGER!!!!
Mogsy (MMOGC)
2.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/01/07/...

I felt I gave this one a fair shot, despite everything from end-of-year burnout to post-vacation blues seeming to conspire against me. In the end, this was simply not the engaging tomb-raiding adventure on an alien planet that I was expecting, and mostly found myself bored and unable to see why this book couldn’t be half the length with the same plot content.

The story begins on Gaia, a far-flung planet discovered when a
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
*3.75/5 not as good as Starbound stars*

This was so entertaining! I really enjoyed reading this book and think that everyone who liked/loved Starbound trilogy will be into this one as well. I liked both of the characters - Especially Jules. Such a sweet, sweet extremely idealistic nerd! - their banter and interactions were fun (although I'm not yet sold on the romance aspect), the
Carlos
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-btr
Wow , what a journey . I loved this book because it reminded me of Indiana Jones in space with a little bit of Doctor who thrown in . The pace is very fast and things happen very quickly, both main characters are well developed and you cannot help but root for them since the beginning of the book. Throw in a world conspiracy and some alien tech and aliens themselves and you can get a grasp of what this book is about . For anyone who loves sci-fi and is a fan of Illuminae .
★★★★
I've seen some marketing for this series in which it's being compared to a cross between Indiana Jones and Lara Croft. I can see very slight similarities but I assure you that going into this reading experience with these expectations will likely leave you disappointed. But if you dive into Unearthed with the expectation to enjoy a YA goal-oriented, conflict-filled, adventure/fantasy originated from the minds of a winning duo of co-writers, then ding ding ding! you'll be just fine.

I read ve
Suzanne
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

It was pretty good. I liked a majority of it but did have moments where my attention wondered. I love s so many of the aspects of this book, such as the archeology feel, being in space on a new planet, and those last few chapters! Oh the last few chapters are full of oh no moments, but the good oh no moments. I have seen a lot of reviews talking about the Indiana Jones like, this I cannot say because I have not seen the movies but from what I loosely know on the movie premise, I can see why
Emma♔☯ (Bookishfix)
"Onward if you dare"

A WHOLE UNIVERSE OF SPARKLY EXPLODING STARS!
Honestly the best book I've read this year so far. I was a little hesitant to pick it up only because sci-fi novels aren't always for me, but this book... *brain explodes* Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner really outdid themselves on this well thought out, jaw-dropping, wild ride of a book. I finished it and immediately wanted to go back to the beginning and read it all again. I also read it in one sitting, and if you dont know by
Ariana
Ok, so I actually own the AU paperback, but I am too lazy to add a new edition, so there's that. I also received it one day AFTER the US release (though I've preordered it months before November), because the postal service is evil and it hates me. *sigh**

The thing is, I wanted to LOVE this book, I was so excited about it, so eager to meet this set of characters and join them in their adventure.. There is a "but" coming and punching me right in the face... I think I abandoned it like 3 times in
Danielle
Yes. Yes. Yes. I'm ready.

ambsreads
Thank you Allen&Unwin for providing me with a full copy in exchange for an honest review.

THIS MINI REVIEW AND OTHERS FEATURE ON MY BLOG, CLICK HERE TO SEE IT

M I N I R E V I E W

I found Unearthed difficult to read. I’m not sure why. I wonder if maybe it was simply just a mood read for me and I wasn’t in the mood for a sci-fi action book? Don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy Unearthed. I found that the writing styles of Megan Spooner and Amie Kaufman flawlessly flowed into one another and I truly co
Ryan Buckby
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The worthy will rise into the stars.. onward if you dare!

I will be going more in depth in my review over on my co-blog: https://bookwanderers.blogspot.com.au/

Plot: This story centres around Jules Addison a very well known scholar and Amelia Radcliffe a Scavenger from two totally different sides of the tracks. They both smuggle themselves onto an alien planet both trying to uncover the secrets hiding in undying temples. They soon form a very fragile alliance trying to uncover the secrets of t
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • untitled (Andromeda Cycle, #1)
  • Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Roar (Stormheart, #1)
  • Hunted
  • Fire and Heist
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Warcross (Warcross, #1)
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
Amie Kaufman is a New York Times, USA Today and internationally bestselling author of science fiction and fantasy. Her multi-award winning work has been published in over 35 countries, and is in development for film and TV. A couple of her career highlights so far include professional wolf-howling lessons, and working as a story consultant at NASA. You can sign up for her newsletter to see what sh ...more
More about Amie Kaufman

Unearthed (2 books)
  • Undying (Unearthed, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“When we allow ourselves to explore, we discover destinations that were never on our map.” 10 likes
“We may be the only ones who think that braving a series of crumbling death traps is proof of good decision making.” 5 likes