Start by marking “Star Wars, Vol. 5: Yoda's Secret War” as Want to Read:
Star Wars, Vol. 5: Yoda's Secret War

Star Wars, Vol. 5: Yoda's Secret War

(Star Wars (2015) #5)

With one member of the rebel crew captured and imprisoned, we turn once more to the journals of Ben Kenobi and a legendary adventure with Jedi Master...Yoda! He's trapped on a world full of vicious, mysteriously powered children. Not easy, will this be. Overpowered and captured, the Master must become a student once more. And the ripples of Yoda's struggle in the past will ...more
Published July 18th 2017 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars, Vol. 5

Alejandro
Strong in this one the Force is!

I got this in its single comic book issues, but I've chosen this TPB edition to be able of making a better overall review.

This TPB collects "Star Wars" #26-30 plus Annual #2. This comic book title is set after the events of "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope" and before "Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back".

Creative Team:

Writers: Jason Aaron & Kelly Thompson

Illustrators: Salvador Larroca & Emilio Laiso

GREEN NOT/>/>Creative/>This
Sam Quixote
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
It’s nice to see a book featuring Yoda as the protagonist as he’s been largely absent during Marvel’s Star Wars relaunch. Unfortunately his adventure here is pretty damn boring!

In a mashup between Lord of the Flies and Mad Max, Yoda goes to some primitive planet full of warring kids who use rock magic in a seemingly unending war. O...k… but doesn’t sound very Star Wars-y to me!

Jason Aaron writes Yoda well, especially when he learns rock magic, humbling himself by becoming a pupil again. We nev
Kemper
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Good this is not.

The idea of giving us a story about Yoda back in the day sounds OK, but there’s two problems with the execution of it here. First, the story seems more like one of those stinker episodes from the third season of the original Star Trek then Star Wars. Yoda goes to a planet destroyed by war with two primitive tribes still battling, and he uncovers a secret involving weird alien lifeforms. That really seems like something Jim Kirk should be doing, not Yoda.

The second
Ben Brown
Ooph.

For my money, this is the weakest story yet–not just from Aaron's "Star Wars" run, but in all of Marvel's Star Wars output since acquiring the license in 2014. I'm usually a big fan of both Aaron's writing and Salvador Larroca's style, so the thought of the two of them pairing up for an arc–let alone an arc focused specifically on freaking YODA–really had me jazzed. Color me surprised and disappointed that neither writer nor artist seemed to operating at their full potential here.
Chad
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
The first dud Marvel has put out since taking over the Star Wars comics. We all but forget about the ongoing story after the opening few pages and focus on a story about Yoda taking place before Phantom Menace. He goes to some planet where rocks contain the force and kids are fighting in a Star Wars version of Lord of the Flies. I can't even say it was awful, just sooo boring. The whole thing just feels like filler. Also included is an annual showcasing Leia and Pash's first meeting.

Anthony
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Part of me thinks the main Star Wars ongoing is losing a little steam. I think that shows here by the fact that a lot of this arc is told through flashbacks. However, when those flashbacks involve Yoda in a story that is set before The Phantom Menace, who are we to complain?

It's good and I also like how Jason Aaron limited the amount Yoda uses his lightsaber in his story. It's a small irk of mine, but I always prefer Yoda when he's the old wise zen type Jedi, and not the Jedi chargin
Neil R. Coulter
This wasn't the worst Star Wars comic. The idea behind the story of Yoda's mission, and the glimpse of a different manifestation of the Force, was interesting. It fits into the tone of the original 2D-animated Clone Wars series. The problem is that I have no idea what the connection is between Yoda's story and Luke's mission to rescue C-3PO. I see no relation at all between the frame story and the flashback. Also, is Luke reading only the parts that are written as Obi-Wan's journal? If so, then ...more
Benji Glaab
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This series has leveled off in quality, but at least it's consistent.

Collects: issues 26-30
Annual #2

First off this whole volume feels like a side story, and not the usual fast flowing action you would expect from a SW title. But hey we get the backwards talking Yoda who is often confused with being some sort of over-sized frog. Once again Aaron utilizes Obi-wans journal to tell a story as Luke reads it somehow seeking guidance.
This one is about a lesson old Ben learns from Y
Travis Duke
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
A Yoda book? alright! oh wait... marvel once again puts the shackles on how much story can be used... Starts off cool but it's just one big side story. So Yoda flies to some unknown planet to look into a mysterious energy on the planet. The story is just OK it lets Yoda flex his force a bit which is cool to see, and honestly Aaron does a good job at writing the story with the rock people but I keep getting the feeling Marvel says " hey you can the characters but don't write anything that interfe ...more
Jerry
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yoda is to the Star Wars universe what Kirby is to the Super Smash Bros. games: small, yet powerful. For that reason, the infamous backwards-talking green dude has been among my favorite characters in the franchise. To see him in a story that takes place prior to The Phantom Menace was a blast.

The last story was also fun, too; wonder if we'll see more of Bash/Dash?
Jim C
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
This collection kind of picks up from the cliffhanger in the last collection. It shows us the cliffhanger but really doesn't do anything with it. This collection has two different parts. The first is with Leia as she is stranded on a planet and she is hurt. A woman doesn't like either side of the war decides to help her. The second is about Luke reading Obi-Wan's journals and this journal tells a story about Yoda visiting a planet inhabited by children.

I really enjoyed the part with
Lata
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
First story was Lord of the Flies-boring, though Yoda's always a treat. Everyone else in the story--snore. The second story was more interesting, though awfully predictable. Leia and Pash Davane, a former underwater engineer, have to work together to get an injured Leia off-planet. In the process, Pash rediscovers her lost hope.
Jesse A
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good stuff. Focusing away from the resistance for a bit.
Jordan Anderson
Even by Star Wars standards, Yoda's Secret War is bad. I mean laughably bad. I mean like even worse than some of the "Legends" crap bad. I had worries that this series might be starting to veer off course with the previous Flight of the Harbinger collection but holy crap, I didn't think it would be as horrible as this latest entry.

How bad is it? Well, you got Yoda, probably one of the franchise's most famous and bad ass characters, relegated to a wimpy cut out of himself, taking lessons from a littl
Sesana
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars, comics
For me, the worst Star Wars comic that Marvel has put out. The Yoda storyline just goes on and on, and of course it doesn't and can't mean anything. If it had been a two issue arc, it would have been infinitely stronger. Instead, it's the entire flipping book. The annual, on the other hand, is pretty good work. It focuses on a (probably) one off character, and gives some pretty rare perspective into how the Rebellion would affect normal people, plus a really good scene with Leia talking honestly ...more
Lance Shadow
"A jedi must humble himself if he is to become powerful".
The flagship comic book in the star wars canon continues. This time, Jason Aaron, seeing that the only good part of the previous volume was the journal story about Obi-Wan on Tatooine, decides to use Kenobi's journal to spend the entire next volume on a story about Yoda that takes place before The Phantom Menace.
The flagship Star Wars series has seen better days. The first 3 volumes and the crossover Vader Down ranged from solid to
Scott Rhee
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Marvel “Star Wars” volume 5, “Yoda’s Secret War”, C3-PO has been taken prisoner by SCAR Squadron; R2-D2 has hijacked an X-wing to go rescue his pal and disables Luke’s hyperdrive so he doesn’t follow him; floating alone in a disabled X-wing, Luke has some perfect reading time, so he picks up Obi Wan’s journal and reads a story about the great Jedi Master Yoda, who once discovered a planet that was run by warring children...

This may be my favorite volume of the “Star Wars” series y
Peace
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I gave it an extra star becasue the Leia focused annual was good.

I hate Yoda a lot of the time, and I did not want to learn about a planet entirely populated by white teen boys who locked their white fathers in a living mountain so this was not my jam.

(WHERE WERE THE LADIES ON THIS PLANET???)
Jorge de la Vega
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
The main problem I had with this volume is that it is largely inconsequential. So you get a story about how powerful Yoda is, how wise Yoda is, how willing to learn and adapt Yoda is... as if we didn't know that already from many other sources, canon and not canon alike. It doesn't add anything to the character of Yoda, to the storyline, or to the time in between Episodes IV and V. The plot is plain confusing as well, a mixture of The Lord of the Flies, Mad Max and Skyrim for good measure, witho ...more
Ryan Madman Reads & Rocks
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*In Yoda Voice* Good graphic novel this is!

My complete review is at:
Chris Lemmerman
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Journals Of Old Ben Kenobi collide with the ongoing plotline as Luke discovers a secret history regarding Yoda and a planet of Force-wielding children.

The plot that was introduced in the previous volume is kind of forgotten about in favour of the flashbacks, but I expect it'll come back with a vengeance next time. Instead we get a kind of fairy tale with Yoda - Aaron's narration changes speed here and is extremely effective. The plot's a little predictable until about midway thro
Jason
This story had the potential to be very cool. I thought the balanced shuffled between different time periods well. But they didn't follow through and, it seemed, rushed through for a generic end. But some realky excellent scenes...just not an excellent story.
Chris Greensmith
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
"Book VI, Part V
YODA'S SECRET WAR
It is a time of renewed hope for the Rebel Alliance as heroic rebel soldiers strive to overthrow Imperial efforts throughout the galaxy.
Luke is stranded in his X-wing when R2-D2 goes on a solo mission to rescue C-3PO. The rebel pilot has only the old journals of Ben Kenobi to return to, and has been reading tales from the earlier days of Master Yoda.
Yoda feels a calling in the Force and follows it to a planet inhabited only by child warri
Anna
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
A good start to reading of a new canon stories.
I'm a newbie here, because I've only watched all the movies and read the novelization of the Attack of the Clones. But this will change soon.
With brilliant Wookieepedia as my guide I plan to get to know the SW universe better (both canon and legends). There are soooo much cool stuff!
Okay, I'm getting rambly.
I liked the art in these. Salvador Larroca's work is new to me, if I remember correctly. As for the story - pretty good, enga
Blindzider
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
One of Yoda's secret adventures are detailed and at first it has an intriguing mystery but I'm not sure if I like the introduction of some special stones. Sure Yoda is cool, just being Yoda, but in the end the whole thing seems like filler. The second Annual is included in this trade, and there's a nice moment with Leia where she reveals her feelings about the fate of Alderaan. That's not an easy burden to bear and is something that hasn't really been examined before. The rest of her story is al ...more
Hannah Givens
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I see a lot of other reviewers didn't like this just being a side/flashback story, but I actually really appreciated the chance to get away from the weird "inside the movies but we can't actually use much of that material and there are no stakes because we know what happens" main storyline. Going a little more out-there and very small on the number of characters, plus new Force-related worldbuilding, made this a lot more involving than the other stuff.
Clara
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting story about Yoda! I didn't totally understand it but it was great anyway because Yoda. And surprise appearance by Qui-Gonn! (When will we get a Qui-Gonn series? He deserved better.)

And I LOVED the annual issue!
Jonathan Maas
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
May be the best of this series, or at least close. You want to see Yoda move mountains? Here he does!
Pamela
One-quarter potion for the Yoda-Lord of the Flies (now with 200% more sentient rocks!) storyline.

Slightly more for Leia meets Janitor She-Ra. The art in that one was fun and light.
Nic Thorp

• Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Star Wars: Kanan, Vol. 2: First Blood
  • Star Wars: Shattered Empire
  • Star Wars: Chewbacca
Jason Aaron grew up in a small town in Alabama. His cousin, Gustav Hasford, who wrote the semi-autobiographical novel The Short-Timers, on which the feature film Full Metal Jacket was based, was a large influence on Aaron. Aaron decided he wanted to write comics as a child, and though his father was skeptical when Aaron informed him of this aspiration, his mother took Aaron to drug stores, where h ...more

Star Wars (2015) (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes