Start by marking “Zip! Zoom! On a Broom” as Want to Read:
Zip! Zoom! On a Broom

Zip! Zoom! On a Broom

One goes zip, two go zoom. Three witches glide from room to room.

So begins this witchy counting story. Counting up from 1 to 10 and back down again, ten witches jump on a broom--and then fall off one by one! Written in pitch-perfect rhyme, and full of fun read-aloud energy that will have kids memorizing lines and clamoring to read the book again and again, this book hits
Published July 25th 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Zip! Zoom! On a Broom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zip! Zoom! On a Broom

Luanne Ollivier
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Zip! Zoom! On a Broom by Teri Sloat is the latest in the Gramma and Little Guy reads.

Little Guy knows what Hallowe'en is and immediately labeled the book as a Hallowe'en read from the witches on the cover. We had to look at the witches's faces before opening the book and he found some of them to be 'mean.' Onward to the inside.....

Zip! Zoom! On a Broom is specifically a Hallowe'en themed counting book. Ten witches end up packed onto a broom - we count up as they appear and down as they leave the
Abigail
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Halloween Counting Books
"One goes zip. Two go zoom. / Three witches glide from room to room." So begins this rollicking, rhyming witchy counting book, as ten witches fly about, eventually mounting the same long broom. The counting then goes in reverse, as one after another of the aerial magic-workers falls off, or is ejected, leaving one to float across the moon...

As a confirmed lover of all things witchy, Zip! Zoom! On a Broom appealed to me from the minute I glimpsed its cover. I enjoyed Teri Sloat's rhyming tale, an
Alexandria
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute counting book that relied on the scary old witch tropes while turning them playfully on their head. The colors are bright enough to keep a young kid interested and the wording flows well for storytime, but after a few read throughs I don't think older kids would stay interested, particularly if they're well past the 1 to 10 phase of counting.
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
A bit clunky. Illustrations are cute and amusing, though never laugh out loud funny. My 6 year old liked it, but didn't love it.

But, if you are in a pinch for a book to read to a class for Halloween, this is a pretty solid choice.
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
“One goes zip./Two go zoom./Three witches glide from room to room.” Readers count the 10 witches all throughout the house, busy doing witchy stuff. But when all 10 witches decide to ride together on a broomstick, it’s a little too crowded and a little too heavy: “Ten take off, packed too tight./Ten witches bicker, start to fight.” One by one the witches begin to fall: “Nine witches squabble, squirm for room./ One topples from the plunging broom.” But don’t worry, in the end, all are fine

I though
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Sloat, Teri Zip! Zoom! On a Broom Illustrated by Rosalinde Bonnet PICTURE BOOK Little Brown and Company, 2017. $17. Content: G.

This is a witch counting book. A witch joins other witches until there are ten on a broom. They have trouble with that many witches on a broomstick and they fall off one by one until there is one witch left on the broom. She glides across the moon.

This is fun to read aloud because of the poem and the predictable counting. The illustrations aren’t great and some pages t
Jillian
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I think the illustrations are the real star, here. (Though there's nothing exactly wrong with the text, I kept forgetting about it while looking at the pictures. Though it did seem to get rid of some of the witches...rather violently.)
Each picture has a number hidden in it that corresponds with the number of witches remaining on the broom. There are also lots of fun details - some have a whole background story going on in them! (This actually confused me a bit - I thought the dragon housekeeper
Sun Bee
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Elegant writing, brilliant humor, surprises and a ton of eerie creatures... What a fabulous book! My kids and I are mesmerized by the stunning illustrations (wow, the dragon spread!). The art is full of amusing little details and witty references (Ha, Ha, Nosferatu!). We discover new things at each new reading. Each witch has a different look and personality. Also my kids love to look for the number on each page.... A funny, whimsical, clever and beautiful book. A hit in our house - highly recom ...more
Roben
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I think it must be challenging to create Halloween type books that mix scary with cute. It's hard to be both and so this book falls a bit short. Also, as others have mentioned, I found it a bit dark for the counting up to ten and then back down again crowd. My six year old grand was OK with it; not so much the three year old. I do like the fact that it is not necessarily a Halloween book so this can go in the counting section and be used all year round.
Olivia
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Count to ten, then count down! Zip! Zoom! On a Broom is an altogether enjoyable read. The delightful artwork features fun background details like ghosts serving tea, happy skeletons playing cards, and the numbers hidden in the setting. Not only that, but the ten unnamed witches each have unique designs and personalities. From disgruntled basement dinosaurs to soaring dragons, this has everything one could want in a spooky counting book.
Kate
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool-1st grade
A satisfactory counting book with witches, this could be shared any time of year (our library cataloged it in the holiday section, but nothing says Halloween). Look for numbers hidden in the illustrations as the count goes up and then back down.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween
The illustrations in this were fun, and it would be easy to count along as witches are added to/fall off the broom. There might be too much "spooky witchcraft" for my group (incantations, etc), and the witches are pretty mean to each other shoving each other off the broom.
Beth Kakuma-Depew
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, picture-books
Fun little rhyming story that incorporated counting. But I LOVED the witches. The hipster witch. The goth witch. The cookie witch. The vampire witch. The old-fashioned witch. Token Af-Amer witch. and the littlest witch!
Perfumegirl
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, jjs-shelf
Grandson liked this book ~ illustrations are cute, great little book
Vicki
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
This book would be a nice read aloud to a group of children. The illustrations are good size and interesting to look over.

Counting and rhyming, make this book one to share.
Celeste
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Looks good for toddler storytime. Pocketing for October.
Ms. Jeane
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like the ryhmes in this book, it flows very well. But the images are a little scary.
Raph
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun read with awesome illustrations! A quite unique picture book!
Mary
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great Halloween read for improving counting skills both up to ten and back down again. Filled with engaging illustrations and just right for holiday mischief.
Erica
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rhyming cuteness for Halloween. Love the illustrations that really compliment the simple rhyming, counting sing-song-ey story.
Rachel Watkins
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This fun Halloween counting book has just the right amount of BOO! for anyone ready to count up to 10 and down again.
Casandria
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really cute Halloween book!
Beckett Weaver
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enchanting
Jacqueline
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, picture-books
A Halloween counting book (up to ten then back down) that uses witches plotting together then fighting to increase and decrease numbers. Not brilliant, but fun for the season.
Sue
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A grand read-aloud with marvelous vocabulary and spectacularly spooky (but not too scary for little ones) illustrations!
Juliana Lee
Adorable rhyming witches take off on a counting adventure 1-10 and back again.
Juliana Lee
Count and rhyme forward and backward from 1 to 10 and back again.
Bridgette Elston
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun read that with a lot of involved pics so each time we read it we see more. I love a book that can be read over and over without getting old.
Kelly
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice illustrations in this Halloween themed book. It's a counting and rhyming book and is very fun. First it counts forward, then backward.
Christine Turner
Oct 19, 2017 added it
Shelves: witch
One goes zip, two go zoom. Three witches glide from room to room.
So begins this witchy counting story. Counting up from 1 to 10 and back down again, ten witches jump on a broom, and then fall off one by one! Written in pitch-perfect rhyme, and full of fun read-aloud energy that will have kids memorizing lines and clamoring to read the book again and again, this book hits the mash-up sweet spot between an important concept and Halloween fun!

Note: This book would work for storytime.

Subject: Stori