Start by marking “Fantastic Creatures” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Creatures

Fantastic Creatures

A Fellowship of Fantasy Anthology

Here be dragons ... and selkies and griffins and maybe even a mermaid or two.

Twenty fantasy authors band together to bring you a collection of thrilling tales and magical monsters. Do you like to slay dragons? Or befriend them? Do you prefer to meet cephalopods as gigantic kraken or adorable tree octopuses?

Each story focuses around a fa
Published November 16th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Creatures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Creatures

Start your review of Fantastic Creatures
Melissa Sasina
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I received an ARC copy of this book for honest review. I am happy to be supporting the indie Fellowship of Fantasy Authors in reviewing it.

I love creatures of myth and legends, and this series of short stories did not disappoint in the slightest. This book is suitable for nearly all age groups and gives you glimpses of fantastic, magical creatures that many do not even know about.

I enjoyed how not all of the stories told you straight out what the creature was, letting you guess what they were,
La La
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A plethora of exciting tales about make believe beasts from kappas to flying squid!

I liked that a couple of the stories which had adult level violence in them were clearly marked, so this collection can easily be used as a family read aloud book, too. The creatures were varied, there is a flying squid tale! It is a perfect book to keep on a bedside table or loaded to an ereader for times you want to have short stories when reading time is limited. Each tale wrapped up in a satisfying way. This i
Kristen Kooistra
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm new to the whole anthology thing. As I'm sure is the usual case with anthologies, there were stories I loved and others were I was more meh. It's hard to put a rating on a book that has so many different stories because not all are the same for me. I know that's obvious, but it was still really hard to sit down at the end and go, "so what do I say about this?"

There's 20 stories(I think) in here and I liked more than I disliked. That's a plus. Several stories, even if they weren't my particul
Marzie
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-paper
This book was received as an ARC from the publisher. I am happy to be supporting the indie Fellowship of Fantasy Authors in reviewing it.

Selkies and Dragons and Krakens, Oh My!

This is an enjoyable anthology, especially given how affordable the book is. I found the writing, as is often the case in anthologies of this sort, to be a little uneven. For every gem, like Intisar Khanani's beautifully understated and evocative selkie story, Seekers, there are some that are considerably less polished. So
N.W. Moors
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a 'Fantastic' anthology packed with stories for all ages about mythical and fantasy beasts and their friends. Many of the creatures are the usual dragons, mermaids, and griffins. Others were not as familiar to me, the hum-fairies, werejaguars, or tree octapuses, but the stories are uniformly interesting and well-written.
I especially enjoyed 'Three Steaks and a Box of Chocolates', 'The Very Last Dragon', 'An Adventurer's Heart', and 'Absolutely True Facts about the Pacific Tree Octapus',
Santy
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy, magic, read-2017
I loved this collection of very short stories all surrounding one creature/world or another.

Some stories were funny, some had romance sprinkled in, others a bit sad, others made me a bit mad while others also were just okay.

As a book overall, they were mostly very properly written with one or two minor exceptions.It takes the reader to a different world with every story and that is what I loved about it.

It IS PG-13 so if you are in the mood for pure adventure/fantasy without any sexy times, go
Chelsea
More reviews available at my blog, Beauty and the Bookworm.

Fantastic Creatures is an anthology of stories all featuring some (you guessed it) fantasy creature, from mermaids to werewolves to tree octopuses to hum fairies. As an anthology, it has many, many authors, but I'm putting H. L. Burke as the primary because, from what I can see, she appears to be the one who organized it, did the outreach, etc. (If someone knows differently, please let me know and I'll correct this.) I'll include the aut
Marissa
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twenty amazingly creative authors all in one place!! Sign me up! "Each story focuses around a fantastic creature from folklore or mythology, and they range from light and playful tales for the whole family to darker stories that may make you wish to leave the lights on." Sometimes you want to read mythology/fantasy stories without a lot of swearing and graphic sex and this fits the bill perfectly. The stories were great, short and very clean. They capture your imagination so well that when you t ...more
Alyssia Cooke
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another day, another anthology and another good one. These are all tales of magic and creatures and there’s a good selection to cover all the bases here. There is a huge diversity in age appropriateness as well, with many being suitable for the young adult market but a few being very gruesome indeed. As with all anthologies, there were some tales I enjoyed more than others, but very few real flops.

Three Steaks and a Box of Chocolates by A. R. Silverberry; 4/5 stars. A unique tale to start this a
H.L. Burke
I'm one of the authors, so not really unbiased. I do think there is a good mix here with something for everything from humorous tales to folk tales to urban fantasy to epics to fairy tales. Skip around, find some new authors, and enjoy. ...more
Jackie
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story about all different types of creatures. Love books like this. Grateful to be introduced to this story.
Scott
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Creatures is another great anthology . I've almost read this whole series of anthologies and I have enjoyed every single one . As with all anthologies there will be some stories you like more than others , but as a whole this book is as it's name implies fantastic . Almost every story in here would be go read along material with your kids , that being said adults will enjoy this book also . It's a pretty quick read so go ahead and sit down and enjoy Fantastic Creatures you won't be sor ...more
Carina Shephard
Read in 2020

If you read just one story in the entire book: read Skin Deep.

Content Warning: Although most of the Fellowship of Fantasy stories are generally clean, be aware that there is violence/swearing/etc in The Last Chronicle of Pete Mersill and The Nether Lands.

More thorough review to come when I reread.
Amy Merritt
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good read.

This is a good book to read before bed. I enjoy short stories and stories about different things. This book is a recollection from different authors and I recommend it. Good job to all the writers. Kudos and thanks for sharing you imagination with me.
Amelia Nichole Defield
What a great collection of short stories featuring fantasy creatures! It has everything from the weird to the delightful. Dragons, sea monsters, griffins and more! I left reviews for some of my favorites on their GoodReads pages.
Jane
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What Fun!

Fun stories, and most of them are suitable for even very young readers (say age 6 and up). Happy reading!
Grace Morris
Overall Rating: 4 Stars =D

List of Books in the Anthology with my Ratings and Some Small Notes:

"Three Steaks and a Box of Chocolates"

Written By: A. R. Silverberry

My Rating: 3.5 Stars

Notes:
Kind of like a Western. Because they called the creature a cat in the beginning, I really wanted it to look more like a cat. I was really disappointed when it wasn't anything like a cat. The plot wasn't my favorite either, mainly about taking care of the "cat's" teeth.

"Snapdragon"

Written By: Lea Doué

My Rating:
Heather Hayden
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an enjoyable collection of stories about various fantastical creatures ranging from centaurs to the rare Pacific tree-dwelling octopus.

My favorites include Three Steaks and a Box of Chocolate, Snapdragon, Seekers, and Absolutely True Facts about the Pacific Tree Octopus--and these are just a few of the treasures waiting inside this pages.

The age range for the stories does vary quite a bit, so if you are looking for an anthology to share with your kids, please be mindful of that. Some sto
Denielle
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Insitar has the tendency to always leave me wanting more. Everything I've read from her so far has left me with this gaping hole of want.

This short story was no different. I got a Little Mermaid vibe and by the end I had so many questions. :(
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent mix of unique stories

Like most anthologies, this is a mix of good and bad— but I'm happy to say that it's more good than bad. I definitely recommend this one!
Becca
I read this book in an effort to learn of some more good indie authors. There are several authors featured which I'll have to learn more about, but overall I was unimpressed with this collection. Here are some notes on each story:

(1) Three Steaks and a Box of Chocolates by A. R. Silverberry 3 out of 5 stars
Set in the Old West, this is an amusing tall tale.
(2) Snapdragon by Lea Doue 3.5 : 5
I enjoyed this retelling of the Frog Prince. The prince is not a prince, and he's in the shape if an adora
Vicki DeVico
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Here be dragons...and so much more! Out of 21 stories, there are bound to be some that a reader likes more than others, and that was the case for me.

1. Three Steaks and a Box of Chocolates – A. R. Silverberry *****
What starts out seeming like a scene from the wild west turns into a tale of friendship with a legendary creature.
2. Snapdragon – Lea Doué *****
A charming retell of the Frog Prince, but with a dragon!
3. The Golden City Captives – Julie C. Gilbert *****
A wonderfully written shifter s
Melissa (missy)

20.Ishka’s Garden

21.Absolutely True Fa
Shannon
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love collections like this. It gives me the chance to read several different authors at once so I am always adding authors to my reading list. Granted my reading list keeps growing but I don't seem to mind at all.
All of the stories in this collection are great and are so well written. Kudos to all of the authors.
Gayreth Walden
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful clean fantasy stories!

These stories are all clean fantasy.... From light and playful to a bit darker, they are all well written and entertaining. So many creatures, from dragons, mermaids, kraken, gryphons, too many to name. Adventures and magic with a diverse cast of characters. A little something for everyone. I enjoyed this very much.
shannon  Stubbs
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A creature for everyone

There is a creature for everyone in this story. From a gold finding dinosaur with a tooth ache to a tree living octopi, the range is large. Each story has its own flavor: A western, fantasy, demon hunting, a Christian theme, and even a scary werewolf story. I even found some new authors to explore.
Leslie Wiederspan
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute collection of short stories.
Julia Garcia
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good 1st Anthology

This was my first fantasy anthology. I really liked reading all the different stories from the different authors. There were a few I wish could've kept going!
Eileen Copeland
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you like strange creatures....

Most of these stories were really fun to read. The authors all showed great imagination, and have created some fascinating storyworlds.
Claudia
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bedtime stories

Some great stories, some good stories and, some just okay stories. Amusing reading and no nightmares. We all need a book like this sometimes.
« previous 1 3 next »
Do you have a favorite story? Or a favorite creature? 1 5 Nov 12, 2016 01:54PM

• Hexing (Magic & Alchemy #1)
  • Dragon Hoard and Other Tales of Faerie
  • Hidden Fire
  • On the Accidental Wings of Dragons (Dragons of Eternity #1)
  • Magic of the Gargoyles (Gargoyle Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • Wanderer's Escape (Wanderer's Odyssey, #1)
  • Bloodless Assassin (The Viper and the Urchin, #1)
  • Daybreak (Girl from the Stars, #1)
  • Ignite (Skyborn, #1)
  • Steampunk Fairy Tales
  • Redemption (League of Vampires, #1)
  • Dragon Assassin (Dragon Assassin Omnibus Book 1)
  • Crimson Kisses (Zodiac Shifters #47.5)
  • Dissent (Band of Believers #1)
  • Shadow Magic: Six Strong Heroines of Urban Fantasy
  • Switching Hour (Magic and Mayhem, #1)
  • Waste Not: And Other Funny Zombie Stories
  • Dragon Assassin 2 (Dragon Assassin Omnibus)
Born in a small town in north central Oregon, H. L. Burke spent most of her childhood around trees and farm animals and was always accompanied by a book. Growing up with epic heroes from Middle Earth and Narnia keeping her company, she also became an incurable romantic.

An addictive personality, she jumped from one fandom to another, being at times completely obsessed with various books, movies, o

News & Interviews

According to some historians, the month of April is actually named after Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, by way of the Romans....
“There’s no such thing as normal. We all have thorns, but most of us carry them inside where no one can see how they hurt us.” 0 likes