Start by marking “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  51,265 ratings  ·  2,571 reviews
The iconic anthology series of horror tales that's now afeature film!

This is a new edition of the complete original book. Stephen Gammell’s artwork from the original Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark appears in all its spooky glory. Read if you dare!

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is a timeless collection of chillingly scary tales and legends, in which folklorist Alvin
Published July 25th 2017 by HarperCollins (first published October 14th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, please sign up.
Sophie The Small I would call the stories more disturbing than scary.…moreI would call the stories more disturbing than scary. (less)
Casey The book was written by folklorist Alvin Schwartz. Depending on the addition you read the art is either Stephen Gammell (the original creepy art) or…moreThe book was written by folklorist Alvin Schwartz. Depending on the addition you read the art is either Stephen Gammell (the original creepy art) or the 2010 re-release with artist Brett Helquist.(less)

·  51,265 ratings  ·  2,571 reviews

Start your review of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Trudi

I'm not giving any stars here, only a warning: beware which edition of this collection you choose, for if you choose unwisely, you will be sorely ripped off in more ways than one.

I chose unwisely. My edition is the 2010 "updated" version published by Harper Collins with new illustrations by Brett Helquist. To say that it's been sanitized for safe consumption is an understatement. The reason the original 1981 edition became an instant classic and a frequently challenged book in schools and
Justin Tate
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In anticipation of the new movie, I dusted this off and made the foolish decision of reading in an empty house, well past the twilight hour. About halfway I got too creeped out to continue. Had to finish the rest this morning.

These stories are SCARY. Something about the nonchalant way horror happens makes it even more real. In this world, there's nothing unusual about ghosts and murderers and zombies. Why should there be? They are so common. There could be a murderer in your attic right now. And
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Warning: SCARY PICTURES. Do not click on this review if you don't want to be plagued by nightmares. I don't care how old you are. Fear transcends all age barriers.

I'm a supporter of childhood literacy, but I beg you. Please, for the love of all that is holy, do not make the mistake of giving this book to your children. They will never forgive you. Think of all the therapy costs.

When I was a little girl, I was terrified of the dark. I couldn't sleep without my rituals. All blankets had to be
JV (semi-hiatus)
Perhaps read and highly rated for its nostalgic appeal, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is a collection of American urban legends that feel lacklustre in its writing and storytelling. Although quite unnerving not thoroughly petrifying, these stories somehow left me feeling cold whilst speedreading this in the dead of night. The only notable story that I find disquieting and chilling was "May I Carry Your Basket?".

The caveat? Well, you wouldn't want to reach for this book if you'd like to
Laurel
May 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations were the really scary part of these books. I remember being afraid to turn the page and look at the next one when I was a kid, peeling the next page over gradually like a Band-Aid. One pictured effed me up so badly I had to tape a piece of construction paper over it so I could flip through the book without having a heart attack.
Mischenko
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is featured on Halloween Reads for Children @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

This is a great collection of short scary stories for kids to enjoy. It’s a book that I enjoyed as a child and can now share with my own kids. Some of the stories are pretty scary and best for older readers, but a few of them can be read to younger readers as well. There are plenty of traditional ghost stories, retellings and folklore to enjoy. The black and white illustrations add even more eeriness!
J. Kent Messum
Confession time: I was a scared kid growing up. And I mean fucking terrified. My imagination was fertile, and it tended to grow dark twisted things with thorns that were poisonous to my thoughts, vines of blackened fish-hooks that would creep over me like ivy and ensnare my mind, body, and soul.

My early encounters with anything of the 'horror' variety would take on a life of it's own, finding a nest in my kid brain where it could grow into something much more monstrous. Thinking back to my
unknown
As scary stories go, they are only slightly. Sometimes they are funny, or just weird, or sad. Except the one about Harold the Scarecrow. God, that one is terrifying. Oh and the spiders hatching from your face.

But the illustrations... The illustrations in this book are good old-fashioned nightmare fuel. I really don't know what they were thinking.

I mean, what were they thinking?

Facebook 30 Day Book Challenge Day 8: Book that scares you.
Tina Haigler
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, kids, classics
This is a very beloved book from my childhood, along with it's two sequels. I'm still not entirely sure why I love something so much that gave me several serious complexes that continue into adulthood, but I guess I'm just twisted like that.

I chose to reread these books due to the Scary Stories movie that came out recently. Needless to say the stories didn't scare me like they did when I was a kid, but I still found that I was a little creeped out going to the bathroom in the dark, so to me
Johann (jobis89)
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"In the dark and the gloom, it is easy for someone listening to imagine all sorts of strange and scary things."

A collection of stories based on American folklore written with the intention of giving you the creeps or making you jump with fright. The stories are accompanied by delightfully disturbing illustrations provided by Stephen Gammell.

Anytime I post these books on instagram, people lose their shit. It seems that everyone overseas (and by overseas I mean America or Canada) can attribute all
Amalia Gavea
This is a wonderful little collection of stories that are chilling and, at times, rather funny. A blend of urban legends and folk tales of ghosts and other creatures of the night and a series of sketches that are as ''scary'' as the stories they accompany create a result that is perfect for Halloween, for a cold winter's night or a stormy summer evening.
Katie
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read these in about 15 years, but I'm re-reading them before I see the movie :)
Candace Robinson
Ah yes, the one book back in third grade that kept me entertained!
Ginger
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book, 2019
This was fun! Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark was very nostalgic.

When I was around 13-years-old, I would sit around in a circle with my friends, the lights were off and one of us had a flashlight under our face. We would tell scary stories and try to be the best at getting the most screams. Brings back great memories, lots of laughs and plenty of SCREAMS!

This would be a fun and spooky book to read to your kids around this time of the year. It's not scary but spooky enough to get them to jump
Helen Power
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved these stories as a kid! Still just as spooky as an adult.
Ronyell
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Scary Stories!!
YES…DEFINITELY YES!

scary

I have always loved reading banned books because even though I am usually curious about the reasons why they were banned in the first place, it just makes me really want to read the books even more! Well, I just picked up this spooky book for children called “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” by Alvin Schwartz along with illustrations by Stephen Gammell and it basically has several horror folktales collected over the years. “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” is definitely
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
From its nose down to its chin
The worms crawled out, and the worms crawled in.
O-o o-o o-o!
The woman to the preacher said,
“Shall I look like that when I am dead?"
O-o o-o o-o!
The preacher to the woman said,
"You'll look like that when you are dead!"

One summer evening, when I was a kid, I went to a sleep-over at a friend's house. At some point one of the girls suggested that we start telling scary stories. I wasn't very enthusiastic about it (I was very well conscious of being a chicken),
Emm - On a Hiatus of Uncertain Nature
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: casual cannibals, wandering witches and ghoulish gravekeepers
This review and other monstrosities on Blood Red Velvet.

Room for one more? In the most twisted children's series to be splattered on paper? Oh, always.
I mean, how much can you really trust a kids book whose very first story is about cannibalism?
A boy finds a human toe in the garden, brings it to his mother, and what does she say?
"It looks nice and plump. I'll put it in the soup, and we'll have it for supper."

Brilliant. Needless to say, the undead corpse is more than disturbed that his big toe
April
Is everybody having an especially lovely day? Tucking in for a blissful night's sleep? Good, I have something to show you.

I read this on my kindle late at night under the covers with nothing but the illumination of my phone screen to light the words. Can you imagine my shock at the following appearing out of nowhere after the flick of the side-button?

I don't have much to say about this collection other than I might be a little bit in love with Schwartz for putting together such a
Juli
My oldest son had a favorite three book set as a child. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. The tales were spooky and the artwork was amazing. In fact, the bizarre art really made the book. Flash forward a few years and my son was getting ready to join the Navy. I hit that oh-my-god-one-of-my-kids-is-really-leaving mom moment and the oh-my-god-my-son-is-engaged-to-be-married event as well.....ahhhhhhhhhh! But, before he left to start his journey to being a grown man, he brought me a set of three ...more
Bon
just as creepy as when i was little and trying to muster the courage to turn the pages. this artwork remains terrifying (especially the murdered woman ghost who comes out of the basement. i can't keep that page open!) and i've since read so much folklore i started to recognize some of the origin stories! ("cold as clay" is almost exactly the same as the Holland Handkerchief folk song...)
Ammar
This book is aimed for children
A gateway to horror and scary stories
Easy read
Appealing
Timothy Urges
I feel guilty for not enjoying this more. I should have read it as a child. A few of the stories are okay, the rest are a bit meh.
Navessa
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book of nightmares. I will never re-read it as it both scared and scarred me even when I was a child with no sense of my own mortality. If I even attempted it now...

*shudder*

Speaking of nightmares. Here, have some.

(view spoiler)
Rebecca McNutt
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved all the traditional horror stories in this book, but it was also the illustrations that accented each story, they're really creepy and incredibly detailed!
Sesana
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading All Hallow's Eve made me nostalgic for my introduction to horror. My second grade teacher read us this book through the month of October, one story a day. And I've been trying to scare myself ever since.

So, how does the original hold up, read after more time has passed than I'm willing to admit, and more horror books and movies than I can count? Amazingly well. These are basically campfire stories, of course, but campfire stories need to be scary to work. They are, in many respects,
Erica
Yes, YES! It looks like the movie is based on the original illustrations! And it sounds like the premise is: Reading the book will make the stories come for you. I feel that's a true representation of my feelings when I read this book in childhood. And, yeah, that's kinda the plot of the Goosebumps movie but they probably got that idea from these books in the first place. It's all so meta.

First, I got all fired up about these stories after reading Monster Chefs, which was the complete opposite
Nathaniel Brehmer
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Timeless stories adapted in an ageless manner, mixed with some of the most phenomenally horrific illustrations ever. These elements make Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark (and its sequels) the best horror stories ever catered to children. All the stories were well researched and no more watered down than they had to be to find their audience. All the grotesque and grossly horrific tales that once I read as a child, I never forgot. Whether they generated an eerie chill or an uneasy laugh, they ...more
Hafsa Sabira
The stories are not exactly how I thought they will be. But they are exactly like the title refers to. These are stories that one can tell in the dark and can scream,moan,jump- basically can do whatever he wants to scare his friends. And I actually succeeded in scaring my next door neighbour kid :p

But still,the stories are too small and not scary at all unless you act your part in the ending. Did I like the book? No. Will I read the next book in this series? No. So,there goes my 2 stars.
Erin
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a 5th grader this book anthology was one of my favorites. While not all the stories are great as an adult read some are still pretty good. My picks are The Guests, Room For One More, The White Satin Evening Gown, & Wait Till Martin Comes. I still love this book & suggest you guys give it a reread.

• Scary Stories to Tell if You Dare 2
  • More Bones
  • In the Tall Grass
  • Historias de miedo para contar en la oscuridad 3
  • Short & Shivery: Thirty Chilling Tales
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
  • Scary Stories
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Terrifying Tales to Tell at Night: 10 Scary Stories to Give You Nightmares!
  • The Fear Zone
  • Wait Till Helen Comes
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Pet Sematary
  • You'll Float Too: The World of IT
  • Smashed: Junji Ito Story Collection
  • Pan's Labyrinth: The Labyrinth of the Faun
  • Bony-Legs
Alvin Schwartz was the author of more than fifty books dedicated to and dealing with topics such as folklore and word play, many of which were intended for young readers. He is often confused with another Alvin Schwartz, who wrote Superman and Batman daily comics strips and a novel titled The Blowtop.
“The night Ted died, Sam said he looked just like the skeleton.” 0 likes