Start by marking “Doctor Who: Myths and Legends” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Myths and Legends

Doctor Who: Myths and Legends

(Doctor Who short stories)

For thousands of years, epic stories have been passed down from Time Lord to student, generation to generation. The truth of these tales was lost millennia ago, but the myths and legends themselves are timeless.

These are the most enduring of those tales. From the princess Manussa and her giant snake Mara, to the Vardon Horse of Xeriphin, these stories shed light on the uni
Published June 29th 2017 by BBC Books (first published June 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Iulia
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, netgalley
I received this book via Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This is a cute and charming collection of short stories, all set in the Dr. Who universe. Most of them are re-imaginations of Greek Myths and include familiar characters, planets and species. Time Lords and Gallifrey are heavily featured, with appearances from the Daleks, Ice Warriors, Vampires and many more.

The stories are written in a simple but fairly descriptive fashion. I was not the biggest fan of the wri
Amy Leigh
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
As soon as I saw this collection I was deeply curious and excited because it couldn't come at a better time. Waiting for the Christmas special is difficult and I am always wanting more Doctor Who!
Based on the introduction included you immediately know this book was written on Gallifrey for other Time Lord's learning and enjoyment. I believe a better title for this book was directly mentioned here: Time Lords Myths and Legends.

Our beloved Doctor does pop in and help in his own style (depending o
Stephanie (Bookfever)
I'm a huge Whovian as well as a fan of mythology and legends so when I saw Doctor Who: Myths and Legends available on NetGalley I didn't hesitate to request it. Needless to say I was beyond thrilled when I got approved for this title. I'm also really glad that it ended up being as amazing as I hoped it would be.

The book contains 14 short stories in the world of Doctor Who that are all retellings of certain mythology and legends that I'm sure everyone is familiar with. Some stories were better t
Jana
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought that this book was really quite amazing. The problem I often have with books from the Doctor Who universe is that they seem very superficial and are often just missing the spark for me to really love them, even if I always appreciate new content from the DW universe. However, with this book, I was completely captivated the whole time. I thought the writing was at all times really engaging and the stories were super interesting and the illustrations just improved the reading experience. ...more
Violeta Nicola
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book . You can read the full review here http://violetanicola.ro/doctor-who-my...
Kayla
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review up soon on my blog:
Http://www.booksrfab.blogspot.com

***I received this copy via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.***

I must be honest, I have never watched Doctor Who. However, my sister is a huge fan and I mainly signed up for this copy in order to share the Doctor Who world with my sister just for a bit. I can honestly say I didn't go into this book with very high hopes, mainly because I have never been a big fan of sci-fi books. But I can say this book was a pleasant surprise.
Sabrina
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection of short stories is great for fans of Doctor Who and even for those who are not familiar with the programme. Full of myths and legends, not only from the Time Lords' points of view but also from many of the other aliens and races found in the series. I even found myself rooting for the Sontarans at one point!
Marjolein
2.5 Stars

Full review to come!
Laurel
Nov 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
I had to DNF this book. I just couldn't get into it
Anna Tan
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Doctor Who Fans
Shelves: review-copy, e-books
If you're looking for an analysis of how these myths and legends fit into the core Doctor Who world/fandom or something like that, you're looking in the wrong place. If you want a review of how much you'd like this collection of short stories even if you're not a hardcore fan, I guess that's where this review would fit. (Note: I have watched some Doctor Who as my siblings are fans, but I'm generally too lazy to follow a TV series. Don't kill me.)

Doctor Who: Myths and Legends is a collection of s
Anniek
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Having read multiple Doctor Who anthologies, I have to admit this was my least favorite so far. In theory, the combination of mythological stories and one of my favorite fandoms sounds quite perfect, but I found the execution to be somewhat lacking. While I did love some of the twists and it was really fun to see some familiar characters, that wasn't enough to make the stories very engaging. The writing was the main problem here, I think. It felt a little dry and lacked the sense of humour that ...more
Trish
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a whole collection of myths and legends that are based in Doctor Who world. The myths and legends are the following:
The Mondas Touch
The Enigma of Sisterhood
Pandoric’s Box
This is the first Doctor Who book I have read. I found it
Mindy
Any time I get a chance to read something from Doctor Who, I go for it. I was especially pleased by this selection as I'm always pleased by different mythologies being well-incorporated. The only downside for me was that it felt a bit jilted a at times instead of cohesive and some of the endings felt too abrupt to me. I couldn't, in good consciousness, give it a 4-star rating but I'd definitely give it a 3.5 if I could give half stars. I think if you're a fan of the series, current or past, you' ...more
TheCraftyLass
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
As a die-hard Whovian, it should come as no surprise that I jumped at the chance to read and review Richard Dinnick‘s latest offering, DOCTOR WHO : MYTHS & LEGENDS Epic Tales From Alien Worlds, when it was made available for request on NetGalley.

THOUGHTS:
As a long-time lover of Greek Mythology, I was delighted to discover that this anthology was actually a collection of fourteen short stories based on well-known; and much loved; Greek Myths.

During his introduction, Chancellor Drakirid; Histo
ReaderNature
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, netgalley
I received a copy through the publisher via Netgalley for review in exchange for an honest review. Thank you very much for the opportunity to read this!

Well, I have to say this did not disappoint! Before I go any further, this was an awesome read! The title is a bit misleading, though. It says, "Myths & Legends" in the title, but reads more like factual or historical tales from alien worlds in the Doctor Who universe. That could have been intentional, but it does feel a bit strange that it d
SantaFlash
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
"No need for alarm. Or guards for that matter, I don't really like guards. They're always locking me up. And I'm always escaping."

I've had the opportunity to read one other Doctor Who collection, the American Adventures. I really enjoyed that one. I get that these stories are simple in their writing, but I think that works well in order to offer them to younger, perhaps Middle Grade, readers. In this collection of Myths and Legends, my favorites included The Mondas Touch and The Angels of Vengea
Sarah Z
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1st-reads
I received this courtesy of Smith Publishing and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I should preface this review by saying that I'm usually not a fan of collections of short stories only because they lack the continuity that I like when I'm reading a novel. I made an exception for this because I LOVE Doctor Who and I really enjoy Greek myths.

The concept was fantastic, the execution in terms of the writing style, was not so much to my liking. But that's just me. I had a hard time getting
☘Tara Sheehan☘
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A collection of short stories to thrill Doctor Who fans and with any type of collection like this there will be some you love more than others but all have that distinct flavor we come to expect when exploring the universe through the eyes of THE DOCTOR.

We get to revisit battle with the much loved Daleks along with a host of enemies from both the Classic Era and New. You’re treated to an intrepid examination of the Timelord history dotted with heroes and Mythical Timelords that will leave you dr
Anna Ehler
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book acts as a series of short stories that I can imagine would be told to the younger generation of Gallifreyans. and frankly I found the concept both intriguing and overall very fun to read.
Like with any series of short stories, everyone has favorites, and I definitely found that certain myths were written in a more pleasing manner than others.
However I will admit this book didn't fully reach my expectations, this is because it took me a while to become involved in each story and because
Macarena
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
2.75

I was given a copy via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

As a big Doctor Who fan, I got excited when I saw this book in Netgalley and I got more excited when I got it approved. Everything was going well until I started reading it.

Each short story is based in an ancient myth retold in the world Time Lords live. The writing style is simple and sometimes that disconnected me from the narration.
I liked the book, but it was hard for me to finish it. I think it was mostly because when I
Wayne McCoy
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
'Doctor Who: Myths & Legends' by Richard Dinnick with illustrations by Adrian Salmon takes familiar characters from Doctor Who and weaves them loosely around stories from Greek mythology.

The table contents lists the story title as well as the myth that they are based on. There are stories based on stories that were more familiar to me like King Midas and Jason and the Argonauts. There are stories basedon stories I was less familiar with. The stories don't always follow the myth exactly, but
Anna
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am a HUGE fan of Doctor Who and Mythology so I really did enjoy this story collection! I could tell that some of the stories like "Jorus and the Voganauts" and "The Terrible Manussa" were based on Greco-Roman Myths. But with stories like "The Evil and the Black Deep Sky", I could not recognize the origins so the story felt new and unlike some myths, unpredictable. My favorite of the collection was "The Mondas Touch", which was inspired by the myth, Midas Touch. I don't care for the original as ...more
Jill Jemmett
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Doctor Who, so I was super excited when I was approved for this galley on NetGalley!

This is a collection of myths and legends from the Doctor Who universe. The stories feature some of my favourite creatures, like the Cybermen and Daleks.

I loved how these stories are taken from real ancient myths and legends, using Doctor Who characters, such as “The Mondas Touch” based on The Midas Touch, and “The Vardon Horse” based on the story of the Trojan horse. I love Greek mythology so I appreciate
Rachel Marie
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Doctor Who? Um yes please. I loved this one. Getting stories from all different worlds and planets in the Doctor Who galaxy was so much fun. These stories were based off of myths and legends that we already know, and it was easy to see which one they were based off of most of the time.

Some of the places/characters are ones that we see a lot throughout the show, and some are from ones that are just mentioned (I could be wrong, I'm not completely caught up on the show). However, you don't need any
Cathy
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was torn on what to rate this book. As an avid fan of Doctor Who, I would rate it 4 stars. But trying to read it with the mindset of someone who isn't familiar with Doctor who, I would have to take off one or two of those stars.

If you aren't familiar with Doctor Who, this would probably read as a mediocre collection of Sci-fi short stories. Just okay.

BUT. If you are a Doctor Who fan, this book is chalk full of fun retelling of familiar myths and legends set in the Who-universe.

Each story broug
Michelle
Sep 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
(originally posted on The Writing Hufflepuff)

I was really excited to read Doctor Who Myths and Legends. The world of Doctor Who is very broad and there's so much to explore. Myths and legends set in that world? Yes please. Unfortunately this book was a huge let down for me, mostly because of one reason: the writing style.

The writing style was very simple, flat and there's a lot of telling instead of showing.

I spoke with Orfak and told him of my concerns. He was deeply shocked but admitted to hav
Ari Augustine
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a die-hard whovian, I adored this collection of 14 short stories set in the Doctor Who Universe. A good deal of the stories held underlying Greek mythology elements, but these were re-imagined and creative. My favorite titles are: The Angels of Vengeance and The Kingdom Of The Blind, just to name two.

Also, I love that some of the stories are told by different versions of the Doctor. Not just the last one. The tales paired with the little illustrations were marvelous.

While I was not overly fon
Megan
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced ready galley from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I was so excited to be approved for this book because I'm a proud Whovian and love reading anything to do with Doctor Who.
This was an interesting collection of Earth tales that were turned into Gallifreyan tales, many involving creatures that I haven't heard of but made sense to be a part of the Whoniverse. There were themes at times similar to our own and at others futuristic themes.

In the beginning of the book,
Thomas Jancis
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
As the Doctor once said "We are all stories in the end".
Here we examine various retellings of classic Greek Myths through the lens of the Doctor Who universe.
The book has a wonderful mixture of Classic monsters and New. There is fun as seeing which monsters (The Macra) or people (Rassilion) turn up in different stories.
As for our heroic Time Lord, he is relegated to a bit part if at all. These aren't his stories. These is a method of story telling that I like to see in the TV series, what the u
Theediscerning
Oct 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
This must count as one of the worst Doctor Who books ever – even if, by starting with the second piece here, I felt it was going to be great. It was a lovely mash-up of the typical Who short story, where somebody has to solve a problem like the Mara, and you caught the intelligent mash-up of the usual tales with Greek myth (with references to Grey Eye, and so on). But beyond that, far too few of the stories have anything to do with the Doctor – too many go back to the early days of the Time Lord ...more
Richard is a writer for TV, comics and books.

He is currently working on the TV show, Thunderbirds Are Go! and is a regular contributor to Titan's 12th Doctor ongoing comic - amongst other ranges.

His new Doctor Who book, Myths & Legends is published in June 2017.

In the past he has written audio drama scripts for franchises such as Doctor Who, Stargate, Sherlock Holmes and Sapphire & Stee

Doctor Who short stories (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Doctor Who Stories