Start by marking “Bitmeyen Proje: İş Dünyası ve Beyaz Yakalılara Dair Bir Roman” as Want to Read:
Bitmeyen Proje: İş Dünyası ve Beyaz Yakalılara Dair Bir Roman

Bitmeyen Proje: İş Dünyası ve Beyaz Yakalılara Dair Bir Roman

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  8,529 Ratings  ·  929 Reviews
Parts Unlimited…
Başı bir türlü dertten kurtulamayan dev bir teknoloji şirketidir…
Bu şirkette işler hiç bitmez, önemli projeler bir türlü zamanında müşterilere sunulamaz…
Aksaklıklar, bitmek bilmeyen sorunlar her gün daha çetrefil bir hal alır…
Çok tanıdık geldi değil mi?

Nihayetinde ekip, arapsaçına dönen projeyi gözden geçirerek dört elle işe koyulur, ama bu sefer de onları
Published November 1st 2016 by Timaş Yayınları (first published January 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Bitmeyen Proje, please sign up.

Timmie McArthur "The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement" by Eliyahu Goldratt

and

"The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement" by Eliyahu Goldratt

and

"The Rollout: A Novel about Leadership and Building a Lean-Agile Enterprise with SAFe" by Alex Yakyma(less)

Will
Jan 06, 2014 Will rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, it reminds me of an Ayn Rand book.

For every time I'm impressed how calm, kind and reasonable the protagonist is, there's another time how I'm shocked at how vindictive and petty the book (if not the protagonist directly) is to the people that seem to be standing in the way of the protagonist. Right now, it's security professionals, but a couple of chapters ago it was project managers, then developers, and then the CEO. No-one in those departments has any sympathy for the protagonist, n
Pamela (slytherpuff)
Feb 24, 2013 Pamela (slytherpuff) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Pamela (slytherpuff) by: Iris Culpepper
Shelves: own, business, geekery
See more of my reviews at Bettering Me Up.

I know what you're thinking.

Wow. A fictionalized account of ITIL and Agile methodologies. That sounds so...exciting.

But it is!

Imagine my surprise when I was completely sucked into Bill's world.

IT Operations isn't always a fun place to work: servers crash; applications freeze; vulnerabilities are everywhere; and customers--both internal and external--scream for support.

So how to you manage all of the Work in Progress (WIP), emergencies, and planned work?
John
Sep 16, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine an Ayn Rand novel where John Galt gives stilted lectures about ITIL and lean manufacturing instead of objectivism.

Update: It's not a great book, but if you're working in a dysfunctional IT environment and never manage to make it through any of the traditional business/tech books that could help you this would be a great place to start. Just promise you you won't stop here either. Another update: bumped up to three stars, I've read some two star stuff lately and this isn't that.
Bjoern Rochel
This is the unicorn we'll be all hunting for the next 5+ years. De Marco's The Deadline finally found his spiritual successor.

Don't take this book too literally, like a prescription of rules to follow. The change that they're able to achieve in the book in the given timeframe is, well, quite unrealistic. Most companies don't face extinction and are not forced to reevaluate the way value is delivered. And if they do, changing the whole value stream and culture of a company is probably something
Sergey Shishkin
Aug 16, 2015 Sergey Shishkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calling this a DevOps book is an understatement. The key to the company's success in the book wasn't automation or continuous delivery. What made the success transferable from the manufacturing plant floor to knowledge work was subordinating success criteria to top business measurements and rigorous application of the Theory of Constraints to achieve it. Of course, automation and continuous delivery are necessary intermediate steps for most traditional IT organizations on that journey.

The whole
Eric
Apr 18, 2014 Eric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The copywriter gave up on p150, and so should you. Things start to go downhill when "illusive" replaces "ellusive", and the grammatical eccentricities snowball from there.

But wait, you ask ... if I stop now, how will I learn whether Bill masters the Three Laws? Will he develop a Mutually Supportive Working Relationship with the Information Security Officer? Will the Enigmatic guru, Erik, request an olive in his martini? Why Does This Book Make Me Want To Capitalize Everything? And however is Bil
Chris
Mar 04, 2013 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the prose was horrible - several very disconcerting shifts in tense were the least of it. and what did it teach me? that if I'm not in upper management nothing I do matters and I can't fix any of the problems plaguing my work. but if upper management just reads this book we will all go to a happy place and no one will balk except the moustache twirling villains who will either be fired or be reborn as if from a cocoon into their true form
Dennis
Aug 17, 2015 Dennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like Tom DeMarco's Deadline almost two decades ago this is an absolute must read for everyone who's even remotely involved with IT, management, and operations in any kind of business in this day and age.
Jurgen Appelo
Oct 06, 2013 Jurgen Appelo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile-management
Great read, wonderful description of IT. As a novel quite OK.
Willian Molinari
This is a great book for IT folks.

In case you worked (or still works) in a big company with lots of ITIL things that holds the development, this book will be like home for you.

It is a typical hero's journey and the characters are not so well developed (IMO) but the story is still good to follow. I've created many ideas for the ending and none of them were true, it made me give credits to the authors for not make it obvious.

The book is a fictional novel but it has some truth in it. ;)
Jacques Bezuidenhout
I truly enjoyed this book and the way in which it was written.

Written as a novel, I could feel parts of my life in the book. I could relate to various characters/roles from positions I've worked in.

It also highlights things I've come to learn as problems.

I think this is a great book, not only for IT professionals or managers, but for every manager in your business, and every IT/Dev employee to read. This will give you a better perspective on what is needed to succeed.
It is not simply about doing
James
Mar 10, 2014 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
This book garnered lots of attention, which I mostly think because the subject matter is dry and there aren't many books on the overall topic. The contrived company and scenarios in this book are far to simple, I didn't like the delivery mechanism for covering the tenets of the DevOps approach. I wouldn't work in these conditions, and neither should you. Go find a place that appreciates you and the important work of IT, if you find yourself relating to closely to these shallow characters.

Some of
Marcin
Oct 09, 2013 Marcin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK. So it's not The Goal. The inspiration and the parallels are obvious (even explicit) and the story is entertaining but personally I didn't find it as ground-breaking. It can be very good for people to get a basic understanding of the many concepts (flow, WIP, TOC, systems thinking, ...) The focus of the book is firmly on the operational side of IT and any parallels with software development must be taken with care.
Cara
Jul 28, 2013 Cara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone working in IT can benefit from reading this book...I probably shouldn't have considered it a comedy but there were so many scenarios I read where I found myself smiling, nodding and thinking, "That sounds about right." Kudos to the authors from showing the relevance of IT in the enterprise and how interconnected everything is that makes our businesses run. Additionally, great leadership skills highlighted by the main character, Bill. I think he'll be very successful!
John Christensen
Feb 07, 2013 John Christensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit something, I love case studies. When a software development book starts throwing out "examples" of the methodologies being discussed, I tend to get interested in the story. I start paying closer attention. If they're well-written, I get very interested. Generally, I find myself wanting more. Naturally, I don't get this - the book is a dry technical reference on software development practices and not a novel. The fiction interspersed within is meant to keep you interested.

The Phoe
Peter
Nov 18, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly didn't know a book like this could exist. The format really took me by surprise, but luckily, it was a pleasant one. Essentially it follows a newly promoted IT operations manager as he tries to improve the way the IT department works in his company while struggling with all the bureaucratic challenges that come with higher management positions. The really interesting part though, is that the book goes through a lot of sound theoretical concepts and we see how they're applied practical ...more
John Norman
Jun 20, 2015 John Norman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a novel about a company in crisis because IT and software development form a bottleneck for every aspect of the business. The rest of the business has blinders on, and doesn't even really understand their dependencies on IT and software. Sound familiar?

The CEO brings in a potential new board member who enlightens the VP of IT in "lean" methodologies for IT.

For those of us devoted to agile methodologies in software, there is not a lot that is surprising in matter of detail. But the big pi
Brian
Jul 07, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A colleague of mine loaned me this book as we are going though deep discussions on how to adopt a DevOps model for our team's work. I'm already a believer in the methodology and I didn't need to be sold on it. He spoke highly of the book, and so this weekend I finally sat down to read it.

But I was very skeptical. Very.

A novel about IT? Ugh. I love to read. I love tech. I've worked in IT for more than a decade, but this did not seem like a good idea.

I was wrong.

It's not fine literature. It won't
Dave Golombek
Mar 29, 2013 Dave Golombek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
I wouldn't have read this without a friend's recommendation -- a fictional novel about an IT department, with a heavy dose of evangelizing a particular approach to solving IT problems? Sounds like a snooze-fest at best and a shoot-me-now ordeal at worst. Instead, the book is fun to read, contains some interesting thoughts, and captures a lot of of the realities of working in an IT department. The blame IT game is sadly common and this book talks about some approaches to overcoming it, as well as ...more
Gert
May 16, 2014 Gert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, awesome
very interesting read though the topics are very specific and potentially very boring for anyone not in IT. That being said, it spans a broad spectrum of IT management and is a great way to build a foundation of knowledge that will significantly cut the learning curve for the specialised technical books short.

The book keeps you entertained with the horrible moments an IT department might live through when evolving to meet the modern day business demands while providing methodologies that take on
Helen
May 10, 2013 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been selling deployment automation solutions for over three years and am a novelist so imagine my delight to find this - a novel about DevOps written by some of the most highly respected names in the industry. As a novel it's excellently executed - tight, fast paced action with an intricate plot and a fine cast of characters spouting believable, true to type dialogue. As an industry manual I highlighted reams of passages that succinctly explain the messages we've been trying to get to the m ...more
Peter Chester
Aug 20, 2013 Peter Chester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A DevOps / IT / Project Management Page-turner?!?

It's hard to explain how this first-person account of managing an IT department could grip me so intensely that I would lose sleep for a several nights in an effort to devour this tale.

This book is a personal narrative, an exciting and stressful portrait of how simple philosophies can transform a company. As a partner at an technical agency, I found this journey to be inspiring and educational. I want everyone at our company to read this!
Jadi
Aug 16, 2015 Jadi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If looking for a "novel", this book will not get anything more than a 2 star from me. Very straight forward and simple story telling. But If you are in IT, this is an 5 star!

If you are a professional IT operation guy, this book is like reading a diary of your own and will guide you the way. If you are a newcomer to IT this shows you the underlying principals of some ITIL operational concepts.

Highly recommended if you are in IT.
Lino
Jan 03, 2016 Lino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
A really entertaining read and very believable.

Anyone that worked on a large enough corporation would recognize all the political backstabbing, the hero coder (although in the book it's an infrastructure guy), the old broken down replacement laptop etc.

Besides its merits as a novel, it's a good take on using lean principles to bring a failing company together.
Christian Dalager
Overraskende god biz-lit roman om it-organisationer og implementering af lean principper.
Dvs, man skal ikke gå efter den for at få en gode litterær oplevelse, men fordi den har et tempo og en sugarcoating der gør at man får trigget nogle gode tanker om ens egen IT-organisation.
Ye Lin Aung
Apr 09, 2016 Ye Lin Aung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Funny and informative book. Although what I do right now does not align or relate with what the book likes to cover, it gives me ideas about how important and vital "DevOps" become to the modern IT related or IT organisations themselves.
Phil
Feb 16, 2013 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it's not Shakespeare but it's very pertinent and relevant to what I do. There are lots of good things to pick up from the book and often things you know but you've forgotten. For anyone in IT I'd recommend it as a good way to spend a couple of hours.
Mark Gray
Mar 11, 2015 Mark Gray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and a novel way to examine the concepts as opposed to writing a typical "manual". Got b but bored towards the end but still happy to give 4 out of 5
Huy Nguyen
Oct 08, 2015 Huy Nguyen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Very good read. Highly recommended for Software Devs, IT Ops (so-called DevOps) plus the CEO.
Alexander
Aug 25, 2015 Alexander rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most inspiring books I've read since "Deadline" from Tom DeMarco.
IT Professional D...: Adopting Agile IRL v. the fictional world of The Phoenix Project. 6 3 Oct 20, 2016 01:47PM
Kochi Geeks Club: Have anyone read this? 1 8 Mar 22, 2015 04:27AM
Win a free copy of The Phoenix Project 1 17 Jun 24, 2014 11:39AM
Book discussions@...: Chapters 17 - 19 1 1 Apr 04, 2014 03:53PM
Book discussions@...: Chapters 14 - 16 2 1 Mar 28, 2014 04:26PM
Book discussions@...: Chapter 10, 11, & 12 2 1 Mar 21, 2014 04:22PM
  • The Visible Ops Handbook: Starting ITIL in 4 Practical Steps
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Web Operations: Keeping the Data on Time
  • Lean from the Trenches
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
  • Team Geek: A Software Developer's Guide to Working Well with Others
  • Beyond the Goal: Eliyahu Goldratt Speaks on the Theory of Constraints
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • Soft Skills
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders (Adobe Reader)
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Personal Kanban: Mapping Work Navigating Life

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Gene Kim is a multiple award-winning CTO, Tripwire founder, Visible Ops co-author, IT Ops/Security Researcher, Theory of Constraints Jonah, a certified IS auditor and a rabid UX fan.

He is passionate about IT operations, security and compliance, and how IT organizations successfully transform from "good to great."
More about Gene Kim...

“Improving daily work is even more important than doing daily work.” 6 likes
“Being able to take needless work out of the system is more important than being able to put more work into the system.” 4 likes