Start by marking “Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas” as Want to Read:

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  907 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Alberto Villoldo, a classically trained medical anthropologist, has studied shamanic healing techniques among the descendants of the ancient Inkas for more than twenty years. In Shaman, Healer, Sage, he draws on his vast body of knowledge to create a practical and revolutionary program based on the traditional healing methods used by these shamans -- methods that, until no ...more
Published December 19th 2000 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about Shaman, Healer, Sage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shaman, Healer, Sage

Laural Wauters
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The first book I read by him. This book inspired me to leave my career and train with the Four Winds. I am now a Shamanic practitioner thanks to Alberto. His combination of practical psychology, historical anthropology and spiritual healing speaks to my soul...thank you!
Jo Sullivan
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Favorite quote: I have grown to believe in the metaphor that we have nine lives, like cats. When we reach the end of one of these lifetimes (other people call them stages or phases in one's life), it is important to give the old self a decent burial, and then leap like a jaguar into who we are becoming. Otherwise, we can spend years patching and fixing an old self that we have outgrown.
lalalex
Jun 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Considering most of the healing practices of the America's are passed down orally, I'm a bit dubious about someone who charges money to have a school to learn to be shamanic. However, that being said, there are some nice chapters on chakras in here that were helpful.
Earth  Thunder
Jun 08, 2008 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: all seekers of understanding what they would not teach you in school
Everything by Alberto Villodo is perfect. As an author he stands back and allow the fabric to enter your blanket. You choose how to wrap yourself.
Andrea Marley
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Profound and Important. For spirits having a "human experience" as they say. A slow read due to the amount of information being given. I would also recommend watching the movie "Thrive" as a complement .. It gives a visual to the torus, chakras and energy fields Villoldo speaks of. Just got his next 8 books from the library.
Ron Campbell
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is one of my favorite books on Shamanism.

The book documents Dr. Alberto Villoldo's journey to locate the MIND. He first became a Brain Surgeon to look for the MIND. It was not until later that he turned to Shamanism in his search. He could not find the MIND anywhere in the physical body.

In his search he finds a Peru Shaman that is willing to teach him but he had to find his teacher some decent new TEETH. It is a very human story with humor and serious life lessons. Where the teacher plays a
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I got bogged-down in the middle of the book when he goes into detail about his practice - so thick with information, every sentence caused my brain to go off on a tangent and I would forget I was reading a book. It's also discussion of a practice - I'm told this is a text book for his students in The Light Body School too - meaning you'll never fully understand it until you begin to *practice* it.

But it's worth the read and I can't wait to read this book again! Based in Incan Shamanism, the simi
Molly
Jan 02, 2010 rated it liked it
The first part of the book is fascinating. It's filled with ancient philosophies, personal stories of healing, and an introduction to shamanism. The second section is the 'how-to' section. I'm assuming that after reading this, some people will be inclined to try it and I'm also going to assume that the majority won't do it successfully. Therefore these chapters feel like a plug for his school, Healing the Light Body School, which the author mentions numerous times.
Chante
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The teachings are profound and can be linked to all cultures. I am excited to practice the methods of self-healing and healing of others that are described in this book. Give it a try, read it and see if anything speaks to you.
Steven Myers
Good overview of the author's experience in the mystic world and how they are validated through his training in anthropological psychology. Though the book can stand alone in its high-level instruction of some of the shamanic rites, the narrative piques curiosity into a fuller understanding of his exploration, discovery, and interpretation of events in his own biography. The combative marriage of his Western academic training with his exotic field experiences makes for an interesting read and en ...more
Arun
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written and work of a true shaman
Corey
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting look at Peru indigenous practices and energy work
of Shamans. Another look at preserving health through out
life.
Roberta Romero
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book was recommended by a friend. After reading the book and taking it all in I came to the conclusion that like acupuncture (years back) only those few will go to a Shaman initially. Now acupuncture is used to treat many different ailments. In the same way visiting a Shaman will become more of the norm in the near future.

The book is a good introduction to Shamanism. The fact that the author was a Ph.D with a very lucrative scientific career ahead of him makes it that more interesting to rea
Larry Strattner
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
A technical book about shamanistic method and practice. Interestingly detailed in its recounting of process.

Villoldo is a classically trained medical anthropologist and brings a detailed procedural eye to some very ephemeral concepts.

The reader may not succeed in using the text as a guide to self-train as a Shaman but there are a number of detailed explanations of practices the reader could experiment with to see what happens at the basic foundation of these ideas.

I have substantial skepticism c
Eden Clark
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Alberto Villoldo is one of my personal mentors and teachers, with whom I traveled down to the Amazon jungle and Peru with in years past. I read this book before studying with him, and it hooked me in to the world of the shaman, It is a great book, pairing anthropology concepts with the mythic world of the shaman, and how we have the ability to (rather quickly) heal our bodies on all levels - emotionally, mentally, and energetically. I since studied with his school, The Four Winds, which teaches ...more
Pat Collingwood-Ruppel
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book about 10 years ago and it stirred my curiosity and desire to explore more of the ancient wisdom and shamanism. I haven't had the opportunity and, to be honest, the courage to pursue it as fully as I wanted.

There is so much to learn with energy and this book takes you on Dr. Villoldo's personal journey of illumination with ancient healer sages in Peru. An inspiring and transforming read.
*elasticfate
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
What I loved most were the journal entries from his shamanic initiations & personal journey. The instruction for the energy exercise - the illumination process, energy extraction, etc - is described in a very straight forward manner, though for me I have a hard time grasping these things in writing & prefer hands on learning. A really great perspective in shamanic healing...my only wish was that the entire book lived up to the many super strong & powerfully written parts.
Connie Howell
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant and consequently several years after reading it I embarked on Shamanic training with The Four Winds Society that was founded by Alberto. I travelled to Peru with a group organised by the four winds and was able to meet Alberto, the Qero shamans and experience their culture and the love the have for the new shamans from the west. The book is detailed and informative. Loved it.
Karen Carnabucci
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As part of researching my own book -- "Integrating Psychodramand and Systemic Constellation Work: New Directions for Action Methods, Mind-Body Therapies and Energy Healing" -- I spent a good amount of time researching indigenous ways of healing, past and present. Alberto Villoldo tells fascinating stories of healing according to the traditions of South American shamans.
Rose
Nov 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
This author is the real thing, he has actually become and experienced what he is talking about with Shamanic healing, which to make simple in my view is chakra healing, or energetic healing with an accent on 'seeing' the energy fields. Still only part way thru, this book is most supportive for those on a healing path.
Sarah B.
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a dear friend as I was starting to explore the beginnings a personal Shamanism practice. It provides insight and substance to the mysterious life of a Shaman based on ancient South American ritual. I heard Villoldo's invocation (pg 135) to create sacred space at a drum circle to practice journeying and thought it was absolutely perfect.
James Davis
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book that I first read in 2003. Interesting story of a Ph.D. studying the ways of the Peruvian Shamans. Western medicine has much to learn from these ancient techniques. Was even more interesting since I have visited Machu Pichu and other sites in the Sacred Valley of Peru since I first read this book.
Debra
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Of all the spiritual books on my shelf, this is the one I always return to when I need a "booster." I actually just ordered a new copy as the one I have has been read so many times the pages are falling out!
Joe Schirtzinger
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was highly important to me when I was first developing certain notions in metaphysics because Villoldo bridged the scientific and shamanic worlds in an easy to understand way. I'd recommend this book to anyone looking to understand a bit more about shamanism in general.
Justin
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I was expecting something more akin to Carlos Castañeda, this seemed more factual/travelogue-ish and less spiritual journey
Rachael
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shamanic, great overview of key healing practices and some good exercises for a beginner
Sue Shipman
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you have any curiousities about shamanism, read this clear and concise book.
Jessica
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Anything by this man is incredible...so much free wisdom...thak you ancestors of light.
Andrew
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
a great, comprehensive intro to shamanic energy work.
Shannon Ritchie
Jul 05, 2008 is currently reading it
Just started this book. Went to a workshop on some of these methods and haven't felt so good in a long time. Just have to see if the book helps me to continue on this Way.
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • Traveling Between the Worlds: Conversations with Contemporary Shamans
  • Animal-Wise: The Spirit Language and Signs of Nature
  • Shamanism as a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life
  • Fire in the Head: Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit
  • The Way of the Shaman
  • Plant Spirit Shamanism: Traditional Techniques for Healing the Soul
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • Conscious Dreaming: A Spiritual Path for Everyday Life
  • Shapeshifting: Techniques for Global and Personal Transformation
  • Energy Medicine: Use Your Body's Energies
  • Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism
  • The World of Shamanism: New Views of an Ancient Tradition
  • The Medicine Way: A Shamanic Path to Self Mastery (The "Earth Quest" Series)
  • Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants
  • Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals
  • Urban Shaman
By his mid-20s Alberto Villoldo was the youngest clinical professor at San Francisco State University. He was directing his own laboratory, the Biological Self-Regulation Lab, investigating how energy medicine and visualization could change the chemistry of the brain.

One day in his biology laboratory, Alberto realized that his investigation had to get bigger instead of smaller; Alberto needed to f
More about Alberto Villoldo...
“The shaman is a self-realized person. She discovers the ways of Spirit through her inner awakening.” 14 likes
“You can accomplish anything,” she once told me, “as long as you are willing to let others take credit for it.” 2 likes