Start by marking “25 grammi di felicità” as Want to Read:
25 grammi di felicità

25 grammi di felicità

«Ma perché lo fai? Cosa ti rendono i ricci?» «Mi rendono felice.»

«Te ne potresti occupare tu per questi due giorni?» Inizia più o meno così l'amicizia tra Massimo, veterinario specializzato nei bovini, e un riccetto orfano. Il cucciolo ha pochi giorni, è tutto rosa, e ha sul dorso una corona di aculei bianchi e morbidi, un po' scomposti. Pesa solo 25 grammi e pigola piano
Published October 31st 2016 by Sperling & Kupfer (first published October 2016)

To ask other readers questions about 25 grammi di felicità, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 25 grammi di felicità

Kerran Olson
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is such a cute memoir! Stories about animals always get to me, so I couldn't resist picking this one up. It isn't a long book, but it still managed to get me tearing up, and I loved reading about Massimo's work with Ninna and the other hedgehogs, and how caring for them changed his outlook on life. I would definitely recomend this one to animal lovers or anyone wanting a simple, heartwarming read.
Samuel
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hedgehogs
Every once in a while, if you're lucky, you read a book and feel a deep sense of kinship with the author. I read about Massimo's love for hedgehogs, sense of poetry, and deep desire to make the world a better place, and it struck a chord, as if my heart already knew the tune. This one will stay with me for a long time.
Izabella (Pages Full of Stars)
Having rated my last four books either 2 or 1 stars, I've been in a bit of a reading slump, so I decided to read something lighthearted - and this was a perfect choice for that.

I've always adored animals, despite not being able to have any pets due to allergies, so seeing the title and cover of this book made me want to read it immediately. Hedgehogs are pretty small animals but can you imagine one weighing only 25 gramms? That's how tiny was Ninna, the hedgehog saved by the author of this memoi
Melissapalmer404
Book #62 Read in 2018
A Handful of Happiness by Massimo Vacchetta

This is a non-fiction book written by an Italian veterinarian who ends up rescuing a hedgehog which he names Ninna. He becomes obsessed with her and other headgehog who come his way. Eventually, he ends up opening a hedgehog rescue and sanctuary. This is a good read for animal lovers and can be a recommendation for middle school, high school and adult readers. I borrowed this book from the public library.
Brenda
Lovely book. Reading the book was as though you were with him and talking to him.
Lindsay
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this short biographical read about Massimo Vachetta, someone who has found through helping and healing poorly hedgehogs a dedication and meaning in their life and has great kindness.
dom  ⟡∗⋆♡
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the sweetest book I've read in a while. I couldn't help but fall in love with every single hedgehog mentioned! 🦔

If you love animals, you'll love this book.
Gaby Meares
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Love is what gives sense to life."
This book is totally delightful. Massimo Vacchetta is an Italian vet who is asked to help a colleague by looking after an orphaned baby hedgehog "for a couple of days". Vacchetta's life was never the same again. Used to caring for cattle, Vacchetta faces a steep learning curve in caring for a tiny hedgehog, weighing a mere 25 grams. He falls in love with tiny 'Ninna" and in caring for her, finds his life's purpose. Many more hedgehogs are brought to him as word
Mary
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like its hedgehog subjects, absolutely charming. A young Italian vet whose focus is large animals begins to love animals again when faced with a baby hedgehog. From there, he goes on to rescue many more hedgehogs, and his life changes in dramatic ways. It's not quite a classic like James Herriot's books, however. I wanted to know a bit more about the other people in Massimo's life, and the prose style is choppy. This is why I knocked off a star. Still, I was happy to read this book and get to kn ...more
Jen
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the author's attitudes to nature and wildlife. I loved how caring Massimo was and could fully relate to him making himself ill because he was scared to sleep in case one of his babies passed away alone.
Because this is a translation to English I suspect some of the writing has come across more stilted than it was in the original version. Though I loved the story content I really did not like the writing and I strongly suspect it is because something was lost in translation.
Still w
Sheri S.
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never come across a true story about hedgehogs before, so the unusual title and picture captivated my attention. In the book, Vacchetta writes about the emptiness he was experiencing in his life and how he eventually found fulfillment as the result of an encounter with a baby hedgehog. Vacchetta, a large animal veterinarian who specializes in bovines, describes the steps he took to attend to the baby hedgehog who he later names Ninna. Ninna is just the first of many hedgehogs that Vacchetta ...more
Lillie S
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love animals, big and small, that's why I love this book 😍
Suitable for readers of all age, it all started with Ninna the angel.

This book is educational, in the sense it taught me a lot on how to care for hedgehogs and how a vet can do so much more just for love and passion for nature, all living things on Earth. It made me teared a little, everytime one hedgehog lost its fight.

A heartwarming read, especially when hedgehogs respond to the care and interaction with us humans. It's just too bad
Mimi Fintel
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Massimo was a large-animal veterinarian who had fallen into a funk. One day a friend asks him to help take care of a tiny orphaned baby hedgehog. Massimo felt an instant connection to the little helpless creature. He fed her every 3 hours and she flourished. After that more and more hedgehogs came his way. Eventually he opened a shelter and rehabilitation center for hedgehogs. This is a moving and sweet account of how that first little hedgehog changed the course of a man's life.
Mike He
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very touching story about Italian veterinarian Massimo Vacchetta's love and compassion for hedgehogs beautifully told by Antonella Tomaselli with an equally beautiful translation. Massimo Vacchetta's idea of happiness that is to keep chasing dreams with no more restraints definitely brings home the true meaning of what happiness is all about.
Monica
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Awww, this was such a heartwarming read! I loved Ninna and reading about her journey was beautiful.
It was also inspiring reading about Massimo and his decision to create a care centre to help other hedgehogs - who are all so cute!

There was some sad parts, but on the whole this is an uplifting and sweet book.
janetandjohn
May 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like short sentences. Sometimes they work well. But an entire bookful?
The hedgehog vet rescues his first hedgehog when a friend asks him to look after it for the weekend, and right there his love of hedgehogs starts. I am surprised at Quercus for publishing this at all. I found it badly written and repetitive. Skimmed it in an hour, and that is not the way to enjoy a book at all.
Caroline Herfindahl
I loved this sweet book about an ordinary guy with ordinary issues that learns about himself when a baby hedgehog ends up needing his help and ends up following a dream/passion he didn’t even know he had. My son’s pet hedgehog has stolen my heart so I could really relate. If you need something gentle and lovely to read pick this up!
Charlotte
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the cutest books I've read ever. I've loved hedgehogs since I was a child, and it really gave me a really wistful feeling to back then when I was obsessed with them. It really is a heartwarming story and definitely is one to read for animal lovers out there.
artu
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute little book that all animal lovers will love.
Moving and heart-warming, inspirational and an easy read for a wide variety of ages, including children (not only will they learn a lot about hedgehogs but kindness as well).
Tina
It is reassuring to know that there are special people all around the world looking out for helpless creatures of all kinds. Such compassion, devotion and dedication is truly touching as is this simple and sweet story.
Fiona70
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book, read in just 90 minutes 😊
Katie Davis
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING book. I have a tendency to start books and never finish them. This however I finished in two days! I couldn’t put it down! So sweet! Wish I could help at the hedgehog center!
Steph
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gentle book detailing one vet's journey to becoming a hedgehog lover, advocate and friend.
Hippieblomman
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2019
Really nice story. Not my favourite kind of tone or style though..
Rubi
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to be honest I bought this book based on the cover and my love of animals. I have to say I really enjoyed this story. It was informative and well written and simply cute! 🦔
Catherine
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The definition of a feel-good story! What a completely lovely, heartwarming little book! ❤ ...more
Eloniek Teunissen
My favourite book ever. Love the sweetness.
Karen Wilson
A heartwarming story of how one hedgehog made a difference to the life of a vet.....and how one man has made a difference to many vulnerable hedgehogs and given many people hope x
Kara LaVictoire
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute read for all you animal readers out there.

• Molly and Pim and the Millions of Stars
  • My Year Without Matches: Escaping the City in Search of the Wild
  • The Owl Who Liked Sitting on Caesar
  • Arthur: The dog who crossed the jungle to find a home
  • Explorers' Botanical Notebook: In the Footsteps of Theophrastus, Marco Polo, Linnaeus, Flinders, Darwin, Speke and Hooker
  • Stories Rabbits Tell: A Natural and Cultural History of a Misunderstood Creature
  • A Guide for the Advanced Soul: A Book of Insight Tag - Hold a Problem in Your Mind
  • Owl
  • Return of the Sea Otter
  • Ranch of Dreams: The Country's Most Unusual Sanctuary, Where Every Animal Has a Story
  • The House of Owls
  • Penguin Bloom: The Odd Little Bird Who Saved a Family
  • Saving the Ghost of the Mountain: An Expedition Among Snow Leopards in Mongolia
  • Old Faithful: Dogs of a Certain Age