Start by marking “The Breaking Light (Split City #1)” as Want to Read:
The Breaking Light (Split City #1)

The Breaking Light

(Split City #1)

In a stratified society where contact with the sun is a luxury reserved for the elite, those kept prisoner in the darkness will do anything to find the light. Arden—beautiful, street-smart, and cynical—is one of the citizens of the lowest Level, known as Undercity, of an off-world colony. A blackout band traps Arden in her district, but as sister to the leader of the most

Published April 1st 2017 by Skyscape

To ask other readers questions about The Breaking Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breaking Light

Kari Rhiannon (Moon Magister Reviews)
DNF @20%
Thankfully, this book was free.

You know, there's instalove and then there's waxing poetically about the lips of the guy who has a knife to your throat.

Ridiculous...
Noah Nichols
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: digitally-honed
What do I type about The Breaking Light? Well, this reversal of a retooling needed a little more sci-fi and a lot less cry-fi! Yes; that's my line.

Author Heather Hansen's book is not that bad in terms of pace and plotting...hence the rating of three, but I had to wonder one thing while reading. If Romeo & Juliet wasn't written, would this fic exist?

Also, here's a quick quibble. In the Acknowledgments section, Hansen goes on (and on) to thank a lot of people who helped along the way when it
Jess
Mar 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
:( spoilers

Kindle First letdown. This book would have been greatly improved with an ending involving the untimely deaths of the two main characters who are in love with each other for absolutely no reason at all. Even murdering family members doesn't come between them! But it does open with the supposed badass female being unable to think about anything other than how hot the man cutting her throat is, so I guess that's fine. Written like Fifty Shades (which I couldn't even get through), but wit
Sydnie Macelroy
Mar 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Sad fact: If you are a female science fiction writer, you have to try (at least) twice as hard, because the reader will see your name on the cover and think, "oh great, a romance novel in space." So I make a point of reading as many female authors as I can. Us girls gotta stick together, right? I didn't get far into this book before realizing, "oh hell, this is a romance novel in space."

But that's not even the worst part of it. If it was a good space romance, I'd be cool with that. It's not. It
Maria
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got this book from Amazon as a free early release ebook for Kindle, because I thought the plot sounded interesting. I actually did not realize when I started it that it was a YA book; I suppose one benefit to reading on a Kindle is to not judge a book by its cover.

The story grabbed me immediately, and I often found the central theme/plot very reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet without it being a blatant echo of Shakespeare. I also loved the way that the setting is another world but one that may o
Dee Arr
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perhaps I didn’t read enough between the lines of the book’s description. I was caught by the Science Fiction designation and the editor’s mention of one of the main characters being a wealthy socialite. It appears I should have paid more attention to the book’s description, although I only had “two teens” buried in the last paragraph to give any hint that this book is more of a YA than anything else.

The book barely fits in the science fiction genre. The author has created a world in the future
Misty
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-kindle
Started well then turned into a pile of crap. Doesn't say that it's a Romeo and Juliet retelling in the description but it should since that's what it is, complete with terrible instalove and two idiots that want to literally die for each other after barely meeting.
Lissa
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
My Kindle First pick for March. An inane dystopia with two leads who fall in love on the first page for no conceivable reason at all. Nothing will stand in the way of their love - certainly not the fact that their families are murdering each other or that they have spoken maybe ten words. The world building was terrible and the writing dull. I'm usually pleasantly surprised by my Kindle First choices but not this time.
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it

This would have been better if not for the insta-love. I did enjoy the action and thought it was fairly well written but I didn't feel the sparks between the main characters at all and I didn't think they had enough time spent together to actually develop feelings for one another.

I also thought there was a significant lack of details regarding the way the citizens actually lived, although I did enjoy the desperate gritty feel to the under levels.
EP
Jul 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Uggg. Terrible.

This was at 33% and exactly when I quit.

“What is it that you do want, Dade? I’ve been trying to figure that out since I met you.” “I want you,” he said. Her heart started beating erratically. The air left her chest. Still, she denied it. “You’ve only just met me.”

Side note: he just met her that day and had spent a total of approximately 10 minutes together.
Mary
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not the most articulate reviewer however I am pretty well versed in YA and Dystopia.

I absolutely adore the world the author is building and the role reversal of Romeo + Juliet, the depth of the characters and the intricate world she's created is fascinating.

I feel for a first book, this is a really great stepping stone into a fascinating world. I'm intrigued and interested to see where the characters go from here.

I've seen quite a few reviews of disappointment as it's being labeled as Sci
Richard
Jun 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Weak on science... Not science fiction

This is a spin off of Romeo and Juliet with more teen angst and whining.

If you want science fiction this story is not for you. Set on another planet the author could not even bother to name. This is a dystopian teen pile of vomit where people have enough technology for plasma weapons but not enough to make a UV light to prevent most from dying of some strange mix of vitamin d or c deficiency. Spend ten minutes on the net looking at vitamins and the diseases
Andrea
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian, romance, sci-fi
This is a very low 2 for me. The waxing poetic crap at the beginning of the book really set this up for failure.

First off: insta-love. Seriously? Get a grip. This book has an interesting plot idea and if that was more explored the outcome would have been better. Instead we are constantly given the "I shouldn't be thinking about him but I am going to anyway" or "This can never work but what if it can." Arden is supposed to be this kick-ass heroine but instead we are given a damsel who is simply
Deanna Kaech
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
The author builds on the classic Romeo and Juliet, but with a new and modern twist. Yes, there is teenage love angst and all that encompasses it (quite frankly if there wasn't, then there wouldn't be that classical R+J thing going on) but there is far more action and political overtones than expected.

The plot is well thought out and engaging. It certainly cannot be overlooked that Arden is a strong female lead who isn't left doe-eyed with a loss of brain activity upon first encountering Dade. Sh
Alexia Chantel
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
A sci-fi Romeo and Juliet. The writing was clean and the pacing and world building were good.

The beginning set an odd tone, our heroine has a knife to her throat but she's high-ranking-seedy-gang and knows she can take care of herself, but instead of concentrating on her attackers weak points or imagining the various ways to break his hold and take his knife she's waxing poetic about his lips? If you pretend this first introduction happened a different way and roll with the Romeo and Juliet vib
Zuzana899
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars

It was action packed, with a bit of romance, on another planet .... just my thing. I liked it. And I even didn’t hate the insta-love :D
Christina A
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the world building, found it interesting and plausible far out in the future (despite not taking place on Earth).

However, I think the "romance" could have been played down a bit in the book. It took over too much of the storyline, wasn't really that believable to me, and made me not care about the characters.
I felt like the story was more just the romance and nothing else, which is a shame because there was more to explore.
Cathie Stumpenhaus
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A young adult book; which felt bogged down in places with youthful romantic angst. A little more action and a little less ooey-gooey, please. However, I persevered and when I reached the end, found I had enjoyed the book as a whole. About 3/4 of the way through, I realized I was reading a SF version of the Capulets and the Montagues.
Andy Coleman
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Hollie
Mar 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Twilight again

I wanted to like it. The romance dragged everything down. The premise was super awesome, a planet where only the rich could get sunlight and vitamins for it but then teenage romance was cringe worthy. Wouldn't recommend. Won't read the second.
Morrisa
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I was sent this book in the mail by the publisher to review, so thank you to Skyscape! I was surprised to get this as I wasn’t expecting it, but I had seen the cover floating around twitter so I was excited to read.

The Breaking Light is a gender-swapped futuristic take on Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet. Upon going into the novel, I had no idea it was a retelling, so I was super confused as to why the characters claimed to have some sort of “attachment” so soon. But as the story went on, the
Jack Hansen
The Breaking Light (Split City #1) is a young adult science fiction fantasy not unlike many young adult science fictions written today, a dystopia. The genre is very popular and many of the stories are similar.

This reader is very pleased to say that Heather Hansen develops a world that is quite different than the dystopia books which are made into movies,Hunger Games and Divergent. The plot still involves the oppressed rebelling against the affluent with a running romance throughout.

Hansen mas
Ria
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Could not stop reading it.

It caught me from the first page. I loved the characters and the universe in which they lived. Looking forward to the next installment.
Leila
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A nice surprise

After falling into a lull of good or even decent stories to read, I tripped into this well written book. The first chapter had me and I became more vested as I read. Well developed characters paired with an interesting world let me devour this book in two days. Dynamic and action packed, I'd recommend this book to anyone looking for a great read. The only disappointment? Cliffhanger at the end. Excited to read the next one.
Stephanie
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!

This book is a great spin of Romeo and Juliet. I didn't want to put this book down. Great characters and plenty of action to keep you glued to the page. Really really hoping there is another book to continue the story!
Mildred Cecil
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing Story

I liked the story b because it held your interest and I t told the story without vulgarity . And who doesn't like a good love story . I congratulate any author who can make her point without using vulgarity .
shelby mosel
you can read my review on my blog!
I promise no spoilers ;)
Jessica Ball
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I like how this author showed the internal conflicts of Arden. Most authors would simply make her not conflicted. It makes the story more enjoyable and understandable 👍.
Flavia
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Going into this book, I knew that I was intrigued by the whole star-crossed lovers theme that the synopsis promised, and I went in mainly looking forward to that. I didn’t really have expectations regarding the world. But it turns out that I liked the idea of Hansen’s sci-fi setting quite a bit! It’s been a while since I read a book that’s set on a different planet, so that was refreshing for me, and the whole layer of gasses keeping the sunshine from reaching the planet’s actual surface idea wa ...more
Teenreadsdotcom
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
In a world where contact with the sun is limited to the elite upper class, Arden is forced to do anything to survive. As a high-ranking member of her brother’s gang, known as Lasair, Arden is one of the few Undercity residents with access to the higher levels and the Above. Her world is divided by the rich families who live in the Towers, high above her slums, and the Levels, that get colder, sicker and poorer the deeper one descends. Born in the Undercity, the lowest level of them all, Arden wo ...more
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
  • The Harlan Ellison Hornbook
  • Song of Edmon (Fracture World #1)
  • The Original Dream
  • Doing Dialectical Behavior Therapy: A Practical Guide
  • Black Rain
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Private Investigating
  • Trading in Danger / Remnant Population
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
  • Pagan's Crusade (Pagan Chronicles, #1)
  • Stand-Up Comedy: The Book
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
  • The Doomsday Chronicles (The Future Chronicles)
  • Enemy (On the Bons of Gods #1)
  • City of the Gods (Stargate SG-1, #4)
  • Concrete Underground
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
Heather Hansen was born in California, the oldest of five children. She always knew she wanted to be a writer, and she wrote her first book, a murder mystery in the style of Agatha Christie, in seventh grade. Unfortunately, she never could figure out who the murderer was, so the book went on for hundreds of pages, introducing new characters only to kill them off in the most gruesome ways her twelv ...more

Split City (2 books)
  • The Stolen Sky (Split City #2)
“Forgetting the cameras would be next to impossible. And oozing love? That sounded like an industrial accident.” 0 likes