Start by marking “And Then Mine Enemy” as Want to Read:
And Then Mine Enemy

Read Book

And Then Mine Enemy

(Feathers in the Wind #1)

A family ripped apart in a country divided by war . . .

England 1642: Hardened mercenary, Adam Coulter returns to England sickened by violence, seeking only peace, but he finds England on the brink of civil war. He has seen first-hand what that will mean for every man, woman and child and wants no part of it.
King or Parliament? Neutrality is not an option and Adam can only
Published December 25th 2016 by Oportet Publishing

Start your review of And Then Mine Enemy
Brenda
When Adam Coulter returned to England from France in 1642, he was desperate for peace – the past six years had been hard ones, and he was looking forward to settling quietly on a piece of land and putting the violence behind him. But it wasn’t to be. England was on the brink of Civil War and he was disgusted at the thought of Englishmen killing Englishmen; but was his support to be for the King or with the Parliament?

The cruelty and hatred of his half-brother Denzil toward Adam hadn’t lessened
Phrynne
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A nice introduction into a new series by one of my favourite historical fiction authors. This one is set in the English Civil War and Alison Stuart as usual presents all the historical facts from the time in an interesting and engaging way.
The two main characters, Adam and Perdita are easy to like and they carry the story well. It is an interesting aspect of civil war that neighbour can end up killing neighbour and that a simple shopping trip to the nearest town can result in you being caught up
Shelagh
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alison Stuart has brought the English Civil War to life in this exquisitely detailed story. Her characterisation is superb and I truly felt as though I were peering at unfolding events through a window in time, with real people going about their business before my eyes.
There were so many things to like about this story. Obviously the people, and then the fact that Alison Stuart has made a point which is often lost when events fade into history, and that is in civil war it can be brother against
Wendy
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. And Then Mine Enemy, the first book in Alison Stuart's new series set during the years of the English Civil War, begins just as the people of England are readying themselves for war. After years of peace and prosperity, men from all walks of life are expected to take up arms and are preparing to march off to face friends and relatives across battlefields with differing loyalties and opinions to themselves. Half hearted, amateurish preparations are underway and Ms. Stuart takes us thro ...more
Helen Hollick
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:

"... a very entertaining read, set in a fascinating period that Stuart creates naturally and convincingly."

Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

The English King once more outpaces today’s politicians for cunning, effrontery, and vengeful machinations against his English Parliament.

Read full review in the 2017 April issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Helen
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love stories with historical history in them and MS Stuart knows her history and she has such a way with words that the characters and happenings of the time come to life and take you back in time to journey with them and this one is so moving and fabulous.

Adam Coulter returns to England at a time of unrest with the start of civil war where friends family and neighbours fight against each other for what they believe in but Adam is hardened he has led a life that has seen suffering and injustic
kathie
Well....I have read all three of Stuart's Guardian of the Crown novels and enjoyed them very much (all four stars) and was really looking forward to this book. It's not that I hated it or anything but for me, it was just an average read (which I see puts me in the minority with the 8 people who have rated this book thus far). There were certainly things I really appreciate about this author such as her attention to detail and the feeling of authenticity in regards to the language used (more than ...more
Nicole Laverdure
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Emotional war story! 4.5 stars

Captivating introduction to Alison Stuart's new series, Feathers in the Wind! And Then Mine Enemy, a romantic saga of the English War, tells the story of Adam Coulter and Perdita Gray, two beautiful souls, tormented by war.

Adam, a mercenary, returns to England, to find peace, however England is on the brink of a civil war. So that moment of peace hasn't arrived yet for him. Enters in his life, Perdita Gray, a sweet soul, in search of a man she can really love and t
Roz ~ My Written Romance
I started the reading year off with one of my favourite historical romance authors, Alison Stuart, and her December 2016 release, And Then Mine Enemy. I am a total fan, and was super excited to kick off my reading renewal with this book.

People, I tell you, there is no disappointment to be had here. And Then Mine Enemy, the first book in the Feathers in The Wind series, is another utter winner from the pen of Ms. Stuart.

My thoughts on And Then Mine Enemy:
At the risk of being entirely repetitive (
Lynn Brooks
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 STARS!

A historical saga centered around the start of the English Civil War and the turmoil and unrest that become of the country throughout. You are drawn in to the lives of the characters very quickly, and continue to be enthralled as each new thing happens. Not a huge amount of romance, but it's a great read anyway!

Adam Coulter has lived the ravaged life of war before, so when he returns home to England just to discover the King is ready to start a civil war, he isn't happy. He can't jus
Amanda
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it

And Then Mine Enemy by Alison Stuart is a gripping, intense historical tale where we meet two headstrong, vibrant protagonists, Perdita and Adam. Set in 1642, the story gives us a glimpse into an era where war and chaos disrupted the lives of many. But to experience Perdita and Adam’s journey through vivid, picturesque prose only shows Ms. Stuart’s skill as a storyteller!

Recommended
4 Stars
Cheryl Steckling
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
And Then Mine Enemy: A Romantic Saga of the English Civil War (Feathers in the Wind)
By Alison Stuart
This historical romance takes place back in 1642 during a time of war and hardships. The family is torn apart and now Adam Coulter returns to England and he wants peace but he finds it in turmoil like the brink of the civil war.
Perdita Gray has escaped an unpleasant marriage and wants to find peace in England and to find a good man to love. Adam Coulter finds her and he brings with him the reality
Kathy Cohen
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I interrupted reading The Winter Prince to finish Stuart's latest, which I had started reading on Wattpad (thank goodness it's on my kindle now). The setting is the very beginning of the English Civil War, which divides family loyalties and makes enemies of brothers. Adam Coulter, returning from the German wars to peacefully settle in England, is reluctantly drawn into the political conflict, as well as into family conflict. He meets widowed Perdita Gray who is betrothed to his aunt's stepson. S ...more
Dottie
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Take history, add Perdita Gray a widow who lives with family after a cruel loveless marriage.  Next add Adam Coulter who returns to England, at a time of the start of the civil war.  He knows what he feels and must do even though he has gotten bitter over time.  Perdita plans to marry Simon but in times like this things change and when she finds Adam on her doorstep helping him may change even more.  Ms. Stuart has done a great job putting love in this time of war.  A great read for everyone.
Adel
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
And Then Mine Enemy by Alison Stuart is the first in the Feathers in the Wind series and it is an excellent depiction of the 1640’s and the Civil War that waged in England during that period. The detail is extraordinary, the language is authentic and the characters are amazing.

The story is about Adam Coulter and Perdita Gray finding love and some happiness despite the ugliness of war. I recommend this book to all historical romance lovers.
TashNz
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Invest your time in this story because it is worth it and has been written with such care it deserves the time and effort to enjoy and consume.

A historical romance, Perdita and Adam's story in book 1, set during wartime 1642, I was transported right there! The depth of the characters and the plot and the flow of the story is amazing.

Well enjoyed and highly recommend for lovers of historicals!
Lynette Williams

• A Daughter's Courage
  • Unbound Justice: Australian Historical Fiction Novel
  • The Road She Left Behind
  • The Rose Trail
  • Even Witches Get the Blues (Wicked in Moonhaven, #1)
  • The Heart of the Garden
  • A Diamond in the Dust
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • The Stationmaster’s Daughter
  • The Italian Girl
  • The Book of Two Ways
Mystery, history, romance and ghosts… Award winning Australian author, Alison Stuart learned her passion for history from her father. She has been writing stories since her teenage years but it was not until 2007 that her first full length novel was published. Alison has now published eight full length historical romances and a collection of her short stories and is working on a series of historic ...more